Answer me these Fellow Forum Members:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Answer me these Fellow Forum Members:

It appears that even though Boston has played only .300 ball in September, having not even won two games in a row since late August, and seeing our wc lead shrink to a paltry 2 games, that most fans preface all their doubt and anxiety with these words:  "I have no doubt we will still make the play-off's."

My scenario:  Tampa is in 1st, Boston leads the wild card of course, and the Yankees are the ones that are 2 back from us. 

My questions: Would you all still be so eager to dismiss the opponent as we have Tampa?  

Would you still open or close every post with "I know we will make the play-off's"?

What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Answer me these Fellow Forum Members:

I haven't lost hope but I certainly have plenty of doubts that we'll make the playoffs.  Our starting rotation is in bad shape and the Rays' is in excellent shape, what more do you need to give you doubts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If these guys would play to even 80% of their potential, this would not even be a discussion..Lots of mental errors, pitchers struggling to get 5-6 innings tiring the bullpen, and NO timely hits whatsoever..Thats a recipe for failure.. Id be worried no matter who was in 3rd place...They NEED to do these things if they want to go deep into the post season...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am confident we still make the playoffs. I do not "know" we will.

I respect TB perhaps as much or more than anyone else here. I have for 3 years, after thinking they'd "go away" in 2008.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thanks guys, but what if it were the Yankees on our heels? It wouldn't give you cause for alarm more?  It would me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Over 90% chance Red Sox make playoffs, despite epic September collapse. It isn't Rays not goingg away, it is epic Red Sox September coasting/caution collapse, yet it is still over 90% Red Sox at this late juncuture. Rays have been double digit back for months until epic collapse. 

Burrito, if you want the one management mistake that created this tipping point of the season, see my thread. Red Sox are very much alive and could do damage in playoffs from the coffin. Rumors of Red Sox death have been greatly exagerated. But, there is one management incompetence reason why this collapse situation is even an issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Answer me these Fellow Forum Members::
    [QUOTE]Thanks guys, but what if it were the Yankees on our heels? It wouldn't give you cause for alarm more?  It would me.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

R U kidding? If NY was on our heels, I'd kick mud in their face.
    The Rays pitching is more dangerous. As is Maddon.

Who has played better ball this month, NY or Tampa?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Talking about the mental impact - the Yankees scare Red Sox fans over the age of 30. Not debating who technically might be the better team in 2011.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Tampa has played great ball this month, but the fact that they do not have anymore H-2-H games with Boston really puts the Sox in the drivers seat. They will most likely play a NYY team resting players for post season, and they play the AL's worst team the rest of the time. I will be SHOCKED if the SOX don't get in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Talking about the mental impact - the Yankees scare Red Sox fans over the age of 30. Not debating who technically might be the better team in 2011.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

And some folks sleep with night lights because they were afraid of the dark and the boogie man as kids.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

I am confident as well we'll make it..
    We (88-66) have   8 left     5 with the O's    we should at least  go  4-4
    Rays (85-67) have  10 left   7 with Yanks and 3 with Jays.

If we  play   .500 ball Rays  must  play (7-3) .700 to tie us.

Winning 92  games with this team is a disappointment..
    Losing  6-5   when you let a rookie  stay in an give up 3 homers and 6  runs  is meaningful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

The Yankees path is crystal clear as the final days of the 2011 season are upon us.  They need 2 wins against the Rays and 1 against the Sox to win the division.  The sooner the better obviously for them to set up whatever the postseason rotation will be in the ALDS.  It would be quite interesting to have the season end with the Sox and Rays tied for the wildcard and there would be a one game playoff in Tampa.   For what it's worth, a local guy named Jay Pince is running 3 busses out of Pease Tradeport in Portsmouth, NH to Yankee Stadium for Saturday's game.  I have gone the last couple of years and it's been a lot of fun hanging out with fellow baseball fans and seeing very entertaining games.  He apparently had 5 tickets left as of yesterday and if any of you who visit here are interested in going you can look him up by doing a search on "Jay Pince Tours."   It's really quite reasonable and includes ticket, transportation and a little tailgate where the busses park.   For what it's worth.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The Rays play the Yanks 7 games.   Yanks ahead of Sox, Rays trying to catch up.   The best scenario for the Sox is those two teams playing each other.  Sox have Baltimore, Yanks for 3, then Baltimore.

That is why their chances are so high statistically.   The Rays sweep the Yanks, the Yanks may fall out of the playoffs entirely.  The Yanks sweep the Rays, well, we make the playoffs as the Wild Card.   But something has to give.   If they split, then the Sox only need to split their remaining games to win the wild card.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Don't bet on the Yanks falling out of this completely Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Crazy to suggest the Rays when all seven games.  I would love it though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Answer me these Fellow Forum Members: : I'm sorry, your baseball opinions carry about as much weight as a butterfly net. orioles in 2nd in the ALE and contend for the WC? LOL!!!!
    Posted by -The~~Babe-[/QUOTE]

But a butterfly net doesn't have any weight? I don't understand.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Best.Team.Evah. Show Best.Team.Evah's posts

[QUOTE]Tampa has played great ball this month, but the fact that they do not have anymore H-2-H games with Boston really puts the Sox in the drivers seat. They will most likely play a NYY team resting players for post season, and they play the AL's worst team the rest of the time. I will be SHOCKED if the SOX don't get in.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Yankees and Rays have been very competitive this year with the the former winning 6 of 11.  The Yanks' ERA vs Tampa is 2.81 (Rays is 3.47 vs NY) and team batting averages against are .247 and .229 respectively.  They "should" split their remaining games based on recent past performance, but one thing we all know is that numbers mean absolutely nothing on a day to day basis and only serve to give us a rough idea as to what might happen in the future.  The Sox finished the season series with the Rays with a .189 BA compared to .240 for the Rays and a 4.60 team ERA vs 2.88 for the Rays.  It was obviously not even close and it's reflected in the results.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Looks like he was caught yet again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

John Lester could have ended the Rays season and he didnt......despite some of the posts here, we better do better than split our remaining 8 games, because the rays going 7-3 or 8-2 in their last games would not shock me or even surprise me. The Yankees have a 6 game lead in the loss column, so they really have no worries about us. I would like to see us take 4 or the 5 remaining against Baltimore and at least one of the Yankee series.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Like any good philosopher (or salesperson for that matter), I will answer your question with a question--why is it that RS pitchers, even the mature, seasoned ones like Lester and Beckett, are having so much trouble with their pitch counts this year? (Surely they must be aware of how bad that is for the bullpen.) Here is one possibility--it seems to me that most if not all of the RS starters do not really have a good "out pitch" and therefore must expend a lot of pitches to set up a batter so that they can try to get him out with just an average slider or fast ball. What say you all? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

The Sox have to realize that there's more to the American League than the Yankees and Rays.  They seem to take it for granted that the K.C. Royals,  Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners and others are significant during the coarse of a season.

The old adage:   A win in April is as good as a win in September.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Good post!  Lester clearly has out pitches, but his command deserts him far too often than one would like.  Beckett has had great command and has used more of a variety of pitches to get hitters out this year than I think I have ever seen him do in the past.   His biggest deficiency is staying in sync because he takes far too much time more often than not to deliver the baseball.  He is in effect a human rain delay and that has to make it tough to get into a positive and efficient rythym on the mound.  He seems to labor far too much especially with runners on base instead of simply throwing the ball and trusting his stuff which has been quite good.  Lackey's pitch count is always on the high side because he is essentially a pitch to contact guy, does not really have an out pitch and he's been hit hard and often.   Even the outs he gets are quite often of the loud variety and hitters are guessing right about what he will throw in certain counts.  Wakefield has generally pitched like he always he has and the other healthy starters do not have sufficient resumes to determine whether or not they have even a single out pitch.  You usually tend to see low pitch counts from sinker ball pitchers and none of the current Sox fall into that category.      

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]Good post!  Lester clearly has out pitches, but his command deserts him far too often than one would like.  Beckett has had great command and has used more of a variety of pitches to get hitters out this year than I think I have ever seen him do in the past.   His biggest deficiency is staying in sync because he takes far too much time more often than not to deliver the baseball.  He is in effect a human rain delay and that has to make it tough to get into a positive and efficient rythym on the mound.  He seems to labor far too much especially with runners on base instead of simply throwing the ball and trusting his stuff which has been quite good.  Lackey's pitch count is always on the high side because he is essentially a pitch to contact guy, does not really have an out pitch and he's been hit hard and often.   Even the outs he gets are quite often of the loud variety and hitters are guessing right about what he will throw in certain counts.  Wakefield has generally pitched like he always he has and the other healthy starters do not have sufficient resumes to determine whether or not they have even a single out pitch.  You usually tend to see low pitch counts from sinker ball pitchers and none of the current Sox fall into that category.      
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

Thanks, good response. So while we are at it, what's with the Sox pitchers' inability to hold baserunners too? Is that, like the control issue you mentioned, a focus or concentration issue? Is there an overall "discipline" problem with the Sox? Lots of posters here say that professionals are just that and don't need to be managed toward better performance, but I am not so sure. I think some could use more "discipline", on the mound, at the plate, in the field, and in their conditioning!

Sections
Shortcuts