Answer me these Fellow Forum Members:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Answer me these Fellow Forum Members:

In Response to Re: Answer me these Fellow Forum Members::
    The Sox have to realize that there's more to the American League than the Yankees and Rays.  They seem to take it for granted that the K.C. Royals,  Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners and others are significant during the coarse of a season. The old adage:   A win in April is as good as a win in September.
    Posted by Diamondtalk

Maybe next season they will play better at the beginning of the season, unlike the past two years when they lost most of their games in April  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Food for thought...the Orioles are playing almost .500 ball at home - the Sox are playing .300 ball in September...not a good combo.  What happens if the Sox have to throw their best pitchers at the Orioles to win the WC the final 3 days and then start the Division playoffs with a backwards rotation?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Food for thought...the Orioles are playing almost .500 ball at home - the Sox are playing .300 ball in September...not a good combo.  What happens if the Sox have to throw their best pitchers at the Orioles to win the WC the final 3 days and then start the Division playoffs with a backwards rotation?
    Posted by traven

It won't matter, but recall 2005, i.e. Matt Clement.  3 Game sweep.

Verlander vs. Lackey
    Pfister vs. Bedard

Good luck with that. Sayanara

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Answer me these Fellow Forum Members: : Thanks, good response. So while we are at it, what's with the Sox pitchers' inability to hold baserunners too? Is that, like the control issue you mentioned, a focus or concentration issue? Is there an overall "discipline" problem with the Sox? Lots of posters here say that professionals are just that and don't need to be managed toward better performance, but I am not so sure. I think some could use more "discipline", on the mound, at the plate, in the field, and in their conditioning!
    Posted by pschuller

Boston does not advocate using the slide step. Their approach is to pay more attention to the hitter.

As for pitch efficiency, Beckett throws 6.43 IPS (Innings per start).
    Lester is at 6.3 IPS.

Frame of reference:
    Sabathia: 7.18   
    Weaver: 7.09
    Haren: 6.72.

I think the reason Josh/Lester fall a bit short is health issues and inconsistent form due to erratic mechanics, which is the job of the pitching coach. Lester and Buch began the season throwing 2-3 MPH less than last year. Beckett has had sporadic velocity issues.

Poor mechanics will result in loss of velocity, lack of depth w/off-speed pitches, and injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

How much is the catcher and pitching coach getting paid? No excuse for poor mechanics. Talent can mask poor mechanics for a year here or there, but only true star player talents intuitively know proper weight shift and critical nature of tempo and poise. Carl Crawford is not one of those players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How much is the catcher and pitching coach getting paid? No excuse for poor mechanics. Talent can mask poor mechanics for a year here or there, but only true star player talents intuitively know proper weight shift and critical nature of tempo and poise. Carl Crawford is not one of those players.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Catchers aren't responsible for a pitcher's mechanics, although a good receiver who knows his staff can pick things up.

But I will agree with you that the pitching coach seems to be in
    collecting-paycheck mode.

Sections
Shortcuts