Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

Sorry...but Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke, and proof that anti-Boston sentiment is still alive and well within ESPN. For example, take a look at this ridiculous explanation as to why Tito was selected...and Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42166/my-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-explained

The very fact that this idiot felt a need to "explain" his vote tells you all you need to know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

Re: Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

It's so much deeper than you may or may not realize. Boston and anything related to it is a bad publicity for what is trying to be accomplished in this country. It's a symbol of freedom and the birth place of liberty. That is very, very bad to highlight in these times. I posted a response on that article in the comments section. That writer, she needs to be fired. She has a BBWAA vote. Unreal. Farrell could have lost, which is fine. But not to be top 3 in the AL? Even mid September, anybody would have argued he was top 3. Without question. More journalists need to be held accountable for idiotic things such as this. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke"

If you can take off the homer glasses for a second - 

Tito got almost as many wins as Farrell with a roster $100 million less in payroll. 

Farrell's fine - he would have been a deserving winner but he has a World Series ring and no complaints. 

"Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead:"

Hate to intrude again on your "argument" from the world of facts, but both Francona and Farrell were left off the same number of ballots (2 each). 

In the end, Farrell finishes second. At worst this is a minor disappointment, it's far from an outrage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Sorry...but Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke, and proof that anti-Boston sentiment is still alive and well within ESPN. For example, take a look at this ridiculous explanation as to why Tito was selected...and Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42166/my-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-explained

The very fact that this idiot felt a need to "explain" his vote tells you all you need to know.

[/QUOTE]

You are right on the money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Anti-Boston? Please ... get over yourself.

There was nothing wrong with Francona winning it. And I could have accepted the voter tho went picked Maddon over Farrell at No. 3 except for this.

She wrote, "With most of their success falling within the realm of the expected in terms of player performances, the midseason injury to Clay Buchholz was about the only thing that represented a significant setback."

If you're going to base the decison on in-depth analysis, at least get the the analysis right. Obviously, she wasn't paying attention Buchholz's loss was relatively minor compare to the hits the Sox took in the bullpen. We all know the hits the Sox had to injuries. Yeah, Koji was great but he was the forth closer and then there were issues in getting to him.

And let's not overlook the juggling of the corner outfielders and 3B Farrell had to manage.

But that aside, if she explained her vote and acknowledged the issues the Sox had in the pen and still voted accordingly, fine. But she just exposed ignorance in her explanation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think she forgot that 3 vital pieces to the pen went down. 2 closers and our best LHP (Miller). Is that NOT a big deal? There were also other multiple issues like Ross' concussion and WMB having to be sent down. She just looked at the payroll and said, they should win. Every one of her colleagues predicted the Sox to finish last. Its a pretty weak azz arguement she presents if you ask me. Girardi gets credit for getting the most out of his team, who, by the way, has the largest payroll in the AL, but Farrell doesnt get the vote because of his payroll. This DB should never be able to vote again and just stick with the WNBA.

While I have no issue with Tito winning, I think this DB better re-evaluate things. Buch was this teams only issue? Not a very intelligent and observant woman if you ask me.

Congrats to Tito.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Anti-Boston? Please ... get over yourself.

RESPONSE: Get over myself?? Do you remember the hatchet job that ESPN did on the Patriots via the bogus spygate "scandal? Do you recall how Collin Cowherd and some of his cohorts tried to trash Big Papi's achievements, by claiming that he was juicing, even before the World Series ended?

There was nothing wrong with Francona winning it. And I could have accepted the voter tho went picked Maddon over Farrell at No. 3 except for this.

RESPONE: There's nothing wrong with chosing a guy who made a mediocre team a good team over a guy who transformed a last place, sorry sack team, into a champion??

She wrote, "With most of their success falling within the realm of the expected in terms of player performances, the midseason injury to Clay Buchholz was about the only thing that represented a significant setback."

RESPONSE: "With most of their success falling within the realm of the expected in terms of player performances..."??? Spare me!! Who expected that the team that won just 69 games a year ago would win 97 games this year? Who expected Big Papi to have the regular season he had...let alone the post season? Who expected anything from P John Lackey? There were calls for John Lester to be traded early in the year, due to poor performances. Who expected that Clay Buccholz would become the ace he was, before his injury? Who expected much from the platoon of Johnny Gomes and Daniel Nava? Though much was expected from Will Middlebrooks, he was a disappointment for most of the season. Who expected the type of performance that the Sox got from their bullpen, especially after all of the injuries that unit suffered?

If you're going to base the decison on in-depth analysis, at least get the the analysis right. Obviously, she wasn't paying attention Buchholz's loss was relatively minor compare to the hits the Sox took in the bullpen. We all know the hits the Sox had to injuries. Yeah, Koji was great but he was the forth closer and then there were issues in getting to him.

And let's not overlook the juggling of the corner outfielders and 3B Farrell had to manage.

But that aside, if she explained her vote and acknowledged the issues the Sox had in the pen and still voted accordingly, fine. But she just exposed ignorance in her explanation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke"

If you can take off the homer glasses for a second - 

RESPONSE: Homer glasses?? So...you think that awarding manager of the year to a guy who took a mediocre team and made them a good team, was more impressive that a guy who took a last place, sorry sack team, and turned it into a champion??

Tito got almost as many wins as Farrell with a roster $100 million less in payroll. 

RESPONSE: So what! Tito won nothing! Who thought that John Lackey was worth the $16.5 mil. that the Sox were paying him, going into the season? Many criticized the Sox was obtaining Shane Victorino for 3 years, $39mil.. The acquisition of big dollar pitcher Jake Peavy for the stretch run was done through trade, and made only to replace an injured Clay Buchholz.  

Farrell's fine - he would have been a deserving winner but he has a World Series ring and no complaints. 

"Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead:"

Hate to intrude again on your "argument" from the world of facts, but both Francona and Farrell were left off the same number of ballots (2 each). 

RESPONS: Oh, you're not "intruding". Tito should have been left off ballots. But, the man who transformed a 69 win team to a champion being left off of ballots is a complete joke.

In the end, Farrell finishes second. At worst this is a minor disappointment, it's far from an outrage.

RESPONSE: It is a joke...and more proof of the anti-Boston bias of ESPN.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

My thoughts:

1)  Farrell made it look "easy" because of his steady, quiet demeanor, and 

2)  It's a strong reflection on the incompetence of Bobby V.  He turned into a joke, so it might not have been so surprising that the team had a good year once he was gone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

are you guys going to discredit every award that doesn't go to the Red Sox??...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

There's nothing wrong with chosing a guy who made a mediocre team a good team over a guy who transformed a last place, sorry sack team, into a champion??

1. The Indians were as bad as we were last year (one game worse, actually) and hadn't had a winning season since 2007.

2. For better or worse, the voting takes place before the playoffs, so obviously the fact that the Red Sox won a WSC under Farrell wasn't a factor. You do know that, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Certainly looks that way...

I don't see that these awards are that big of a deal to begin with.

As long as it wasn't Girardi.  WinkTongue Out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

aw come on jetes! for cripes sake. if the NYY's went from worst to first and won the AL east and then the WS and they named joe madden Manager of the year over Joe are you not gonna be just a tad upset? you know as well as I do that Farrell totally should have won MOY. its totally true that outside of new england the entire journalistic community hates all boston teams. I'm not discreding anything man. this was a total slap in the face of our manager.

just sayin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is a little silly.  I was rooting for JF since he's our guy....but I think if people actually thought about it from 'the other side', Francona is the CLEAR winner. 

I'd rather have the best team in all of MLB then a coach of the year winner....pretty sure Francona would too.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] morning 4B's, i could see it that way too....i agree with BTS's statement that Farrell is fine with a WSC and i have no doubt ANY of them would gladly trade places with Farrell...and though i have absolutely no way of proving it, i'd bet anything if given a vote, Francona votes for JF....  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

This is ridiculous.

First of all, the WS championship is irrelevant to this award because the voting took place before the playoffs started so let's drop that nonsense.

Second, while Farrell did a great job so did Francona and, as was pointed out by the Spanker, he did it on less than half the payroll.

Third, as I pointed out many times over the winter the 2012 Sox were not really a 69-win team. Their Pythag win total was about 75 and they played with largely AAA players the final 6 weeks.

Finally, this is excruciatingly embarrassing....go to any ESPN chat and you will find fans of every team complaining about ESPN's alleged bias.  Usually it's East Coast bias being claimed, btw.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

aw come on jetes! for cripes sake. if the NYY's went from worst to first and won the AL east and then the WS and they named joe madden Manager of the year over Joe are you not gonna be just a tad upset? you know as well as I do that Farrell totally should have won MOY. its totally true that outside of new england the entire journalistic community hates all boston teams. I'm not discreding anything man. this was a total slap in the face of our manager.

just sayin.

[/QUOTE] Hammah...you know me...so believe when i tell you the answer is no...you know i don't begrudge anyone(team/players) their successes...simply put...the ring's the thing....for which Farrell imo, would gladly trade in 50 MOY's..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] LOL!!.....i guess this is another thing BosoxJoe can "blame" on Francona Tongue Out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] LOL!!.....i guess this is another thing BosoxJoe can "blame" on Francona Tongue Out

[/QUOTE] FWIW..from mid Sept, i thought Farrell was easily going to be the winner,i have no dog in this fight, but i am happy for Francona..but would clearly rather be Farrell...lack of a MOY doesn't in the least bit diminish the job he's done...no doubt this would have been the cherry...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] FWIW..from mid Sept, i thought Farrell was easily going to be the winner,i have no dog in this fight, but i am happy for Francona..but would clearly rather be Farrell...lack of a MOY doesn't in the least bit diminish the job he's done...no doubt this would have been the cherry...

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you could go wrong with either Farrell, Francona or Melvin, from the A's.

Francona should have won at least one, while with the Sox.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I'm curious. With the Sox going from last place, then getting a new manager and winning it all, and then the manager not winning an award for best manager...has something like this ever happened before in any sport. 
    Seems unlikely. Are there other examples in any sport? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm curious. With the Sox going from last place, then getting a new manager and winning it all, and then the manager not winning an award for best manager...has something like this ever happened before in any sport. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know and I don't care enough to look it up.

The Sox won the WS, that's good enough for me.

I certainly wouldn't run out to the store to buy a "MOY" shirt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know and I don't care enough to look it up.

The Sox won the WS, that's good enough for me.

I certainly wouldn't run out to the store to buy a "MOY" shirt.

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Tongue Out.....Cleveland Indians ‏@Indians 8h

Why we love Terry: Asked on a conference call what he'll do to celebrate, he said: "Well, I've got a load of laundry in..." #TitosTribe

Sections
Shortcuts