Any day now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Any day now

Also, these Sox seem to value veteran leadership on short(er) contracts. A mix of players that all aren't soo green. Pedroia can't take everyone under his wing during a playoff run. Jeez. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Iglesias is now batting .320.   Drew is at .246.  The people who predicted that Drew would soon pass Iglesias up are now reduced to saying that batting average does not matter. Also, the 74 point difference also probably represents the number of plays that Drew has not made that Iglesias would have. 

Drew has been outhitting Iglesias fora while no w.

Since July 1

Drew: .266/.354/.458

Iglesias: .255/.299/.321

At some point, you have to stop totally relying on fast and slow starts...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Actually Peralta is FA after this year, so the Tigers did have a long term need at SS.

Bottom line, if you were GM of the Tigets, which player would you have targeted and why?  An unexplained "Drew because he was a better fit" will sound like a rationalized reach.  Especially given that Iglesias is cheaper, controlled for longer, and is arguably a better fit for a team that really needs defense and can afford to give up some hitting...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I like Peavey but remain interested to know if the Tigers would have taken Drew instead of Iggy. If Detroit had asked it would have been a no-brainer to me but I bet the Sox still were to thickheaded to trade Drew over Iggy.

Iggy at short, Xander at 3rd, and Middlebrooks either at 1B or trade bait for 2014.

With Iggy,  the Tigres get 6 years at less than $500k per.

With Drew,  the Tigres would have been paying $9mil this year,  and FA next.

Who would you want if you were already paying the huge contracts of Cabrera, Fielder @ Verlander?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As Bill806 would say quoting Hillary.....WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!!!

The trade is done and the Sox have been a better team this year because of it.....maybe judging it 3-4 years from now we will think it was anothe Jeff Bagwell move, but going over Iggy vs Drew Stats this year is pointless....all that matter is with the team we have right now do we go to the WS....if we do, the trade was the right thing to do....for this year.....and with a big money team like the Sox who have built a very good farm system, this year was the right thing to go for.....three years from now, Xander may be an MVP at SS, or we could go out and sign another Defensive Whiz SS....I want to win this year and for me , this trade that more probable

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I do not think the Tigers would have taken Drew in that deal. I am sure they feel , as do some of us , that Iglesias is the better player now , and much better in the years ahead. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Not really keeping track. Just going by what I see. I also think we would turn quite a few more DPs. 

At SS, with the RS

Player A- 940IP  152 PO  282 A  72 DPs 6 E

Player B- 240IP  34PO  70A  17DP 1E

This is a common misconception in here that some players have literally twice the range as others.

They don't.  I've seen estimates in here for Iglesias' range that would need him to be 20-30% better than the #2 SS.  That will never happen to anyone, ever.

In this case, Player A has more putouts, assists, and DPs per innings played, with the same pitching staff.  And I'm not saying that Drew is a better glove, but his fielding has been extraordinary this year.  Perhaps it is time we recognized it.

Exactly. What is it with these Iggy people that they can't give credit to the job Drew has done and they have to overstate how good Iggy is defensively, especially in regard to Drew?

Drew has been fantastic at turning DP. He has shown excellent range and has made numerous outstanding plays. Does Iggy have better range? Sure. But over the course of the season, the difference will only be a handful of plays. If Drew was an average or poor fielder, then yes, the difference would be greater.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think it is fair that we who doubted Iglesias' stick should be paraded around the public square with a jeering crowd of "I told Ya So"s carrying signs declaring Jose's major league calibre offense.

But, only if those who would jeer us would in turn admit that Drew has been a really good defensive short-stop for the Sox.  I doubt that will ever happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I like Peavey but remain interested to know if the Tigers would have taken Drew instead of Iggy. If Detroit had asked it would have been a no-brainer to me but I bet the Sox still were to thickheaded to trade Drew over Iggy.

Iggy at short, Xander at 3rd, and Middlebrooks either at 1B or trade bait for 2014.

can't see the tigers going there

while the question of who should play this yr had merit

the question of wanting drew for a few months vs iggy for yrs has no merit

It was a three way deal...the teams with the need were the Red Sox & Tigers. Drew's name likely was never on the table. The Tigers qave up a pretty good OF prospect in Garcia and in return got a pretty good SS proespect in Iglesias. All three teams filled a need and came away with what each organization needed to make the deal happen...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I do not think the Tigers would have taken Drew in that deal. I am sure they feel , as do some of us , that Iglesias is the better player now , and much better in the years ahead. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

You can't, however, simply ignore the other facts to the story. The Tigers gave up young players in the deal, so getting a young player back with some years of control left was important. Drew was more expensive and is a FA after this year. So getting Iggy solves their SS for the future and the present.

I personally don't know who they would have wanted if you take contract, years of control and all that other stuff out and just concentrated on this year. Remember, Peralta was an important bat in that lineup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Excuse me, but aren't the Iglesias supporters forgetting that the trade was for Peavy not Drew?  And I would add one other point.  If Iglesias stayed, he would have continued at 3B with Drew at SS, and this would have blocked Middlebrooks from returning, to say nothing of Bogaerts finally getting to Boston. 

Is Iglesias a better fielding SS?  Absolutely.  But Drew ain't a lousy one, and he is a better hitter as he is now showing.  More importantly, I also think the team is better without Iglesias even though I really wanted to keep him.  Without Iglesias the Sox have Peavy, who is a solid starter, a good SS in Drew, and a marvelous hitting thirdbaseman in Middlebrooks. Since the trade, the Sox have put themselves to win 97 or so games and finish with the best record in the AL.  Maybe that would have happened with Iglesias still here, but I doubt it. 

I also suspect that someone on the Red Sox may have hinted to Iglesias he was not the future, so I'm betting he is really happy to be in Detroit.  Think of Crisp, Lowrie, and Reddick in Oakland.  With Cabrera at 3B, however, I do think the Tigers may consider bringing Peralta back as SS next year--a much better bat. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Trading Iglesias also paved the way to get Middlebrooks back into the lineup.  So I can assume you would prefer this team not only be without Peavy, but also Middlebrooks.

As for Drew, if Iglesias demonstrated offensive ability better than a pitcher last season, he might never have been signed.  And he has won or tied multiple games with 9th inning hits this season. 

Are you saying that Drew's offense is no better than a pitcher? If so, let me remind you that Drew has been Mr.Clutch, especially in the second half, in addition to being solid defensively all season. No doubt, Iggy has the potential to be a future star. But with Drew and Bogie, the Red Sox haven't lost one iota of stability with the trade for Peavy. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

This post would have more merit if Peavy was awful but he hasn't been. It killed me to see Iggy move as I would have personally loved to see him play the field for 10 years at SS, but I've moved on with my life. Who cares what he is doing in Detroit?!? It's like following an ex-girlfriend on Facebook and crying about it cuz the guy she's marrying has all his hair.

Has Ben C. made all the right moves? Nope. Has he made most of them? Enough to put the "bridge year" Red Sox in first place. Would it kill you to enjoy it?!?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to soxdawg08's comment:

Trading Iglesias also paved the way to get Middlebrooks back into the lineup.  So I can assume you would prefer this team not only be without Peavy, but also Middlebrooks.

As for Drew, if Iglesias demonstrated offensive ability better than a pitcher last season, he might never have been signed.  And he has won or tied multiple games with 9th inning hits this season. 

Are you saying that Drew's offense is no better than a pitcher? If so, let me remind you that Drew has been Mr.Clutch, especially in the second half, in addition to being solid defensively all season. No doubt, Iggy has the potential to be a future star. But with Drew and Bogie, the Red Sox haven't lost one iota of stability with the trade for Peavy. 

No. Pronoun ambiguity.

I am saying that if Iglesias had hit better than a pitcher last year, Drew might never have been signed in the first place...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drew has been a pleasant surprise on the defense side this year, and after a slow start he's been an above average hitting SS.  We net a draft pick, clear SS for Xander Bogaerts, got WMB back in the lineup, and we get Peavy for two years, and we have got a 100 mph arm who granted may or may not turn out to be a force in the bullpen.  

How can anyone in their right mind not like this deal?!?!.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I wish we'd worked the deal with Drew. At the same time, Drew has shown surprising power.

I personally blame Buchholz for making the trade necessary. The Tigers get a fantastic player under control for a long time and cheap, and we got a good pitcher, but picked up his entire paycheck.

That's a big difference.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I think it has been pointed out several times that it is not a choice between Iglesias and Bogaerts. There is / was room for both of them and Middlebrooks as well. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think it has also been pointed out that Iggy was expendable because of Bogaerts and they Red Sox needed a starting pitcher.

Iggy is good. Because he is good they got Peavey.  And the Red Sox don't need Iggy because they have Drew and Bogaerts.

I don't see what you are upset about, if in fact you are.

Then let me explain it to you. 

This trade was not about Iggy OR Drew any more than it was about Iggy OR Middlebrooks or Iggy OR Bogarts.  It was about the future.  For this year the IF could very well have been Middy, Drew, Pedey and Napoli with Iggy as the UIF waiting in the wings.  That would have covered the team for days off or injuries at SS and/or 3b, and as athletic as he is I also believe Iggy would have been satisfactory at 2B. No, not Pedey, but who else IS Pedey??

It also would have provided for an IF next year of Bogarts, Iggy, Pedy and Middlebrooks, all for short money, which would have freed up money to sign Ellsbury & Salty.

As for Peavy, he's 3-1 in 7 games, not appreciably better than what Farrel was cobbling together from spot starters like Workman, so I don't see where we gained much in getting Peavy.  Yeah, big name, used to be good, but ... he was a "want" rather than a "need". This team NEEDED some BP help but instead what they got was a starter.  And the BP help could have been gotten without giving up Iggy. 

Fast forward now to next year and the year after and the year after and the year after.  Bogarts (assuming he's as good as billed), Iggy, Pedey and Middy is a pretty formidable If for relatively cheap money, which would allow for money for a big power RH bat and some pitching to replace/extend/compliment Lester & Buch. 

Combine that with Checchini and Marrero as IF prospects who can be stockpiled in Pawtucket in case they're needed and used as trade bait if they're not and al the bases were covered.  While some may make the argument that Checchini and Marrero may be good enough to play ML baseball I can just as well make the arguement that maybe they won't be.  But Iggy is.

Now we have to either sign a SS using some of the money we could have used to sign Ellsbury or give the SS position to someone untested.  Or we could sign someone else for CF for less money than Ells would have gotten or give CF to someone else who's untested. 

While I hope the Sox win the WS this year I also realize that whether they do or not they're going to be paying for this trade for years to come, both in terms of money and talent.

NOW do you understand?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I think it has been pointed out several times that it is not a choice between Iglesias and Bogaerts. There is / was room for both of them and Middlebrooks as well. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think it has also been pointed out that Iggy was expendable because of Bogaerts and they Red Sox needed a starting pitcher.

Iggy is good. Because he is good they got Peavey.  And the Red Sox don't need Iggy because they have Drew and Bogaerts.

This trade was not about Iggy OR Drew any more than it was about Iggy OR Middlebrooks.  It was about the future.  For this year the IF could very well have been Middy, Drew, Pedey and Napoli with Iggy as the UIF waiting in the wings.  That would have covered the team for days off or injuries at SS and/or 3b, and as athletic as he is I also believe Iggy would have been satisfactory at 2B. No, not Pedey, but who else IS Pedey??

It also would have provided for an IF next year of Bogarts, Iggy, Pedy and Middlebrooks, all for short money, which would have freed up money to sign Ellsbury & Salty.

As for Peavy, he's 3-1 in 7 games, not appreciably better than what Farrel was cobbling together from spot starters like Workman, so I don't see where we gained much in getting Peavy.  Yeah, big name, used to be good, but ... he was a "want" rather than a "need". This team NEEDED some BP help but instead what they got was a starter.  And the BP help could have been gotten without giving up Iggy. 

Fast forward now to next year and the year after and the year after and the year after.  Bogarts (assuming he's as good as billed), Iggy, Pedey and Middy is a pretty formidable If for relatively cheap money, which would allow for money for a big power RH bat and some pitching to replace/extend/compliment Lester & Buch. 

Combine that with Checchini and Marrero as IF prospects who can be stockpiled in Pawtucket in case they're needed and used as trade bait if they're not and al the bases were covered.  While some may make the argument that Checchini and Marrero may be good enough to play ML baseball I can just as well make the arguement that maybe they won't be.  But Iggy is.

Now we have to either sign a SS using some of the money we could have used to sign Ellsbury or give the SS position to someone untested.  Or we could sign someone else for CF for less money than Ells would have gotten and give CF to someone else who's untested. 

While I hope the Sox win the WS this year I also realize that whether they do or not they're going to be paying for this trade for years to come, both in terms of money and talent.

NOW do you understand?

Jake Peavey was great bulllpen help ...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

This trade was not about Iggy OR Drew any more than it was about Iggy OR Middlebrooks or Iggy OR Bogarts.  It was about the future.  For this year the IF could very well have been Middy, Drew, Pedey and Napoli with Iggy as the UIF waiting in the wings.  That would have covered the team for days off or injuries at SS and/or 3b, and as athletic as he is I also believe Iggy would have been satisfactory at 2B. No, not Pedey, but who else IS Pedey??

Now we have to either sign a SS using some of the money we could have used to sign Ellsbury or give the SS position to someone untested.  Or we could sign someone else for CF for less money than Ells would have gotten or give CF to someone else who's untested. 

NOW do you understand?

At some point, a team does have to stop worrying only about the future.  The Sox had a good team in the present, and they made it a better team in the present by giving up a small piece of the future.

The Sox had some [prospecs who they figured were key to the future, and some who were ancillary.  Iglesias was not Bogaerts or Cecchini or a more integral piece, and really, he should not have been.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

At some point, a team does have to stop worrying only about the future.  The Sox had a good team in the present, and they made it a better team in the present by giving up a small piece of the future.

The Sox had some [prospecs who they figured were key to the future, and some who were ancillary.  Iglesias was not Bogaerts or Cecchini or a more integral piece, and really, he should not have been.

I agree that at some point a team does have to stop worrying ONLY about the future, but I also think there is a time to worry about that future, and that time was 2013.  Most of US (at least) had resigned ourselves to this being a bridge year to 2014, the year when Iggy, Bogarts, etc would be a part of the big team.  Instead, when the team started to win they forgot about 2014 and decided to try to win it NOW and traded away their SS for a starting pitcher for THIS year.  IMO one of the reasons the Red Sox went 84 years without a WS championship is because they occasionally did exactly what the team did this year - they traded away someone who would have helped them immensely in the future.  See:  Bagwell/Anderson

How you can say that he wasn't an integral piece is beyond me.  He's better defensively than either Bogarts or Chcchini, and you're falling into the trap of saying we couldn't have had all three.  We could.  It's just that when we were up to our ___ in alligators some of us forgot that our main objective was to drain the swamp, or in this case set the team up for a long run in the future. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I feel sorry for the people who can't move on about Iglesias.  It's been over a month since the trade was made.  There's nothing to be gained by continuing to complain about it.

Most people think Cherington has done an outstanding job both with the team he put together this year and the way the team is positioned going forward.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I feel sorry for the people who can't move on about Iglesias.  It's been over a month since the trade was made.  There's nothing to be gained by continuing to complain about it.

Most people think Cherington has done an outstanding job both with the team he put together this year and the way the team is positioned going forward.

I'd done a pretty good job of staying away from this topic for the past week or so, but when someone blindly and cavilierly says, "I don't see what you're upset about", well, I thought it deserved a response.

I agree that Cherrington has done an outstanding job with the team he's put together.  I think most of us would agree with that.  However, in reading the posts here there are a significant number of us who aren't happy with this trade.  Someone said he didn't understand what we're upset about, so I clarified it for him.      

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

As with most trades, we won't know with any certainty if the trade was good bad or more or less even until some years have passed. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I agree that at some point a team does have to stop worrying ONLY about the future, but I also think there is a time to worry about that future, and that time was 2013.  Most of US (at least) had resigned ourselves to this being a bridge year to 2014, the year when Iggy, Bogarts, etc would be a part of the big team.  Instead, when the team started to win they forgot about 2014 and decided to try to win it NOW and traded away their SS for a starting pitcher for THIS year.  IMO one of the reasons the Red Sox went 84 years without a WS championship is because they occasionally did exactly what the team did this year - they traded away someone who would have helped them immensely in the future.  See:  Bagwell/Anderson

How you can say that he wasn't an integral piece is beyond me.  He's better defensively than either Bogarts or Chcchini, and you're falling into the trap of saying we couldn't have had all three.  We could.  It's just that when we were up to our ___ in alligators some of us forgot that our main objective was to drain the swamp, or in this case set the team up for a long run in the future. 

I can say he was not considered an integral part of the future because our prospect-stingy FO traded him away.  I thought that was beyond obvious.  These are the same people who don't sign free agents to protect draft picks.   Who was the last marquis prospect they dealt?  Reddick and Lowrie? Is THAT the bar for top prospects now?  The bigger question is - how can you say Iglesias WAS an integral part of the future?  What were you basing that on, besides your personal plan for how to run this team?

Can we PLEASE stop comparing Iglesias to Bagwell?  1.  Bagwell had a borderline Cooperstown career, which Iglesias was not going to have, no matter how many times you mention Ozzie Smith.   Iglesias has a ceiling of Omar Vizquel, but he also has a floor or Cesar Izturis.  He is extermly likely to fall somewhere in between, in the Land of Those Who Maybe Get One HOF Ballot Appearance.  Oh, and 2) while Bagwell was certainly more of a franchise player than Iglesias, at the very least he should be proof that you cannot simply sit back and wait for a champion.  How many years has did he sit in Houston, waiting for one winning chance? If Bagwell aone was not a ticket to the Promised Land, why is Iglesias?  And 3), that deal was 23 years ago.  Iglesias was like 7 months old when it happened.  It has been a while.   No need to pretend it was yesterday.  And certainly no need to pretend it happens very often.  Carl Pavano was once a big part of the Sox future, too.  How come no one ever brings that up?  (And before you go making some crazy "You aren't comparing Peavy to Pedro!!" comment, you have to guarantee Iglesias can even last in MLB as long as Pavano, who is still technically active.)

And blaming 86 years of frustration on any type of trade demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the history of the game.  And the Red Sox.  You named one trade in 1990, and then went on blame 1918 to 1990 on it?  Really?  Can't even name one trade to cover the first 72 years of that frustration?  Babe Ruth would be nice, but we all know he was not traded for a reason that falls within your argument.

Just because YOU were satisfied waiting does not mean everyone was.  Certainly not the people making the decisions.  I know it is hard to believe, but maybe, just maybe the FO and all their scouts and baseball personnel know a little bit more about Iglesias than you do, and they had a very good reason to make him available.  And maybe those same people understand that you can build for the future forever and never get a winner.  It's not as easy as saying "wait for Prospects A, B and C in 2014 or 2015."  A lot of times those plans fail, and more often than not, fail miserably.  If it was that easy, everyone would do it.

Oh, and Iglesias profiles to be the same type of hitter as Alexi Casilla.  That name was NOT chosen at random, and possibly one known by the FO.   So unless he makes serious improvements at the plate, his offense is an illusion.  If he stops hitting, the fascination with him will wain. We traded away the best defensive SS of the milennium in Adam Everett.. No one cared.  We traded away Nick Punto, who was among the best defensive SS.  Fans rejoiced.  In fact, almost no one liked Iglesias last year when he was hitting .118 (except me). 

I mean, if Iglesias was such an important part of the rebuilding process, why did Detroit have to get involved in this deal at all?  Why weren't the White Sox interested?  It's not like 32yo Alexei Ramirez is the future at SS for them, which is why they were trying to move him all July long...

Sections
Shortcuts