Any day now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Any day now

Iglesias is now batting .320.   Drew is at .246.  The people who predicted that Drew would soon pass Iglesias up are now reduced to saying that batting average does not matter. Also, the 74 point difference also probably represents the number of plays that Drew has not made that Iglesias would have. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Any day now

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Iglesias is now batting .320.   Drew is at .246.  The people who predicted that Drew would soon pass Iglesias up are now reduced to saying that batting average does not matter. Also, the 74 point difference also probably represents the number of plays that Drew has not made that Iglesias would have. 

The Red Sox are now at 87 and 58, the Tigers are 82 and 61.  That's what matters to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Please -- warn me when you're going to post such garbage so I can go put on some boots first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Please -- warn me when you're going to post such garbage so I can go put on some boots first.

Roy , you are right. It is garbage. 74 is way too low an estimate. There is probably at least one in almost every game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Roy , you are right. It is garbage. 74 is way too low an estimate. There is probably at least one in almost every game. 

You know that isn't true.

Iggy is better than Drew, trading Iggy for Peavey was a good trade, Iggy isn't as good as Bogaerts.

I think that pretty much covers it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Also batting average does matter. So do home runs and doubles.

Iggys OPS is 765

Drews is 763.

Lets make a thread about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Iggys OPS is 765

Drews is 763.

Some would be shocked to see that the glove man actually has a higher OPS. Thanks for pointing that out. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Iggys OPS is 765

Drews is 763.

Some would be shocked to see that the glove man actually has a higher OPS. Thanks for pointing that out. 

No problem.

some would also be shocked to know that people are bemoaning the loss of Iggy when we now have Peavey and have Bogaerts to be our starting SS next year.

Can you imagine?

Bogaerts and Peavey > Iggy.  By a ton.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Did you research this?

Or did you just like using the number '1', because it was a nice round number?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Did you research this?

Or did you just like using the number '1', because it was a nice round number?

Not really keeping track. Just going by what I see. I also think we would turn quite a few more DPs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories's comment:

You know that isn't true.

Iggy is better than Drew, trading Iggy for Peavey was a good trade, Iggy isn't as good as Bogaerts.

I think that pretty much covers it.

As a fielder, Iggy is better than Drew. As a better I would take Drew any day despite the current difference in BA. And as you said, there is no room for Iggy with Boegarts in the wings.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Since the trade-

1-Drew has an .885 OPS, and Iggy has a .720 OPS.

2-Since the trade, the RS are 22-13.

3-Since the trade, Peavy is 3-1, and has pitched well in 6-7 games.

4-Drew will get a QO and decline, which will net us a nice draft pick.

This is one of those trades where everyone goes home happy.  Iglesias is an excellent get for a team with only one other glove.  Peavy was an excellent get for a team with one injured SP, and two other SPs that had seriously flattened out.  Garcia has a .798 for the WS.

When we get to the off-season, if the three GMs meet, all three will be congratluating each other for finding a perfect 3-way trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think it has been pointed out several times that it is not a choice between Iglesias and Bogaerts. There is / was room for both of them and Middlebrooks as well. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Since the trade-

1-Drew has an .885 OPS, and Iggy has a .720 OPS.

2-Since the trade, the RS are 22-13.

3-Since the trade, Peavy is 3-1, and has pitched well in 6-7 games.

4-Drew will get a QO and decline, which will net us a nice draft pick.

This is one of those trades where everyone goes home happy.  Iglesias is an excellent get for a team with only one other glove.  Peavy was an excellent get for a team with one injured SP, and two other SPs that had seriously flattened out.  Garcia has a .798 for the WS.

When we get to the off-season, if the three GMs meet, all three will be congratluating each other for finding a perfect 3-way trade.

Ben had to be a better horse trader and get Peavy without giving up a 23 year old shortstop the caliber of Iglesias. If that was not possible, then go after a similar, if not quite as good , pitcher who would not cost as much. Guys like Nolasco , Norris and Feldman.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not really keeping track. Just going by what I see. I also think we would turn quite a few more DPs. 

At SS, with the RS

Player A- 940IP  152 PO  282 A  72 DPs 6 E

Player B- 240IP  34PO  70A  17DP 1E

This is a common misconception in here that some players have literally twice the range as others.

They don't.  I've seen estimates in here for Iglesias' range that would need him to be 20-30% better than the #2 SS.  That will never happen to anyone, ever.

In this case, Player A has more putouts, assists, and DPs per innings played, with the same pitching staff.  And I'm not saying that Drew is a better glove, but his fielding has been extraordinary this year.  Perhaps it is time we recognized it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ben had to be a better horse trader and get Peavy without giving up a 23 year old shortstop the caliber of Iglesias. If that was not possible, then go after a similar, if not quite as good , pitcher who would not cost as much. Guys like Nolasco , Norris and Feldman.  

To what end?  SS is our deepest position in the minors, and Peavy is better than those guys.

FWIW, I'm an Iglesias fan, and did NOT like the trade.  I thought we'd have WMB, Iggy and XBO across the IF for a while at minimum wage.

It's only 5 weeks later, but the more I see of it, the more I like the trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trading Iglesias also paved the way to get Middlebrooks back into the lineup.  So I can assume you would prefer this team not only be without Peavy, but also Middlebrooks.

As for Drew, if Iglesias demonstrated offensive ability better than a pitcher last season, he might never have been signed.  And he has won or tied multiple games with 9th inning hits this season. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

For those who like to fixate on old school stats, Drew has 59 RBI and Iggy has 28.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I think it has been pointed out several times that it is not a choice between Iglesias and Bogaerts. There is / was room for both of them and Middlebrooks as well. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think it has also been pointed out that Iggy was expendable because of Bogaerts and they Red Sox needed a starting pitcher.

Iggy is good. Because he is good they got Peavey.  And the Red Sox don't need Iggy because they have Drew and Bogaerts.

I don't see what you are upset about, if in fact you are.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Trading Iglesias also paved the way to get Middlebrooks back into the lineup.  So I can assume you would prefer this team not only be without Peavy, but also Middlebrooks.

As for Drew, if Iglesias demonstrated offensive ability better than a pitcher last season, he might never have been signed.  And he has won or tied multiple games with 9th inning hits this season. 

It couldn't have worked out any better.  Drew's been great, we should really get a QO out of this, it allowed us to get Peavy, with little interruption to our future plans.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I like Peavey but remain interested to know if the Tigers would have taken Drew instead of Iggy. If Detroit had asked it would have been a no-brainer to me but I bet the Sox still were to thickheaded to trade Drew over Iggy.

Iggy at short, Xander at 3rd, and Middlebrooks either at 1B or trade bait for 2014.

can't see the tigers going there

while the question of who should play this yr had merit

the question of wanting drew for a few months vs iggy for yrs has no merit

Sections
Shortcuts