Any need worth trading pitching for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Any need worth trading pitching for?

I keep thinking that the team would benefit from a power outfield bat or more left side infield consistency.

When you have a team like the A's lose three pitchers to TJ surgery (and it's still early!) is it conceivable that someone would give up a long term (cheap) team control position player in exchange for an immediate need at pitching?

We did it last year, giving up Iggy and assuming a NOT cheap contract for Peavy, I suppose because we felt we had to.

I still see us as a team with lots of pitching talent. I wouldn't mind another young stud and I'm not talking about someone with a price tag in prospects like Stanton.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Any need worth trading pitching for?

In response to lasitter's comment:

I keep thinking that the team would benefit from a power outfield bat or more left side infield consistency.

When you have a team like the A's lose three pitchers to TJ surgery (and it's still early!) is it conceivable that someone would give up a long term (cheap) team control position player in exchange for an immediate need at pitching?

We did it last year, giving up Iggy and assuming a NOT cheap contract for Peavy, I suppose because we felt we had to.

I still see us as a team with lots of pitching talent. I wouldn't mind another young stud and I'm not talking about someone with a price tag in prospects like Stanton.

You mean prospects who rot in the minors every year that can't miss tags on them for a great hitting stud who has a nice contract through 2017. Stanton behind Ortiz ... wow !.... Marlins who do you want ? You got them !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What prospects who "rot in the minors with can't miss tags"?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

You mean prospects who rot in the minors every year that can't miss tags on them for a great hitting stud who has a nice contract through 2017. Stanton behind Ortiz ... wow !.... Marlins who do you want ? You got them !!!

What if the Marlins want Bogaerts, Owens and Betts?   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A power bat in the outfield would definitely help--Manny's sure did--but it's a little early to go for one I think.  And let's not forget that no one on last year's WS team remotely resembled Manny Ramirez.  After Manny left in 2008, Ortiz kept saying he could not get a "pitch to hit" because there was no great bat behind him.  Only partly true.  He was our best bat last year, but the team overall still led MLB in OPS and scoring runs.  So far this year the Sox have struggled to score runs, but it is early and this year has been especially cold and the competition--AL East teams plus Milwaukee, Texas, Oakland, and the White Sox.  Time will tell how important that really good outfield bat will be.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Last year we gave up Iggy, who we had under team control cheaply for years, for two years worth of a mid-to-BOTR pitcher that was NOT cheap, and under control for just two years.

Is there no opportunity for us to do that in reverse? Are there no outfielders out there that are pre-arb or coming up on their first arb year and are worth having?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

While I do see Vic, JBJ and Grady as perhaps the best defensive OF in the AL, it is a bit light on offense. 

I could live with the lighter offense in the OF because I think this is an elite starting 5 pitching staff if they have a very good defense behind them. They do as the OF looks today, but the left side of the infield defense is not tight enough for this to be a very good defense. 

Next year, They must find a spot for X either at one of the corner OF spots, or 3B and bring in Marrero at SS. 

I do think the future for this team is Marrero at SS and the trio of Middlebrooks, Cechinni and X playing corner OF spots, 3B, 1B and DH. Also see Swihart at 1B with Vazquez catching. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Don was referring to Pedroia, Bogaerts, WMB, JBJ, Lester, Buchholz, Ellsbury, Hanley, Papelbon, Sanchez, etc.  I'm still waiting for those guys to be promoted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would trade Xander, Owens as starters for Stanton. The pieces after that I would have to think about.

Betts is good --we haven't seen him above AA--Still a suspect in my mind. He's kind of blocked.

Owens is going to be good--he's still young--put him with Fernandez in a growing rotation--could be interesting.

You have another lefty from Miami that threw 5 good innings after his promotion last night to AA--Brian Johnson.

Trey Ball just getting started and Manuel Margot--18 year old 5 tool outfielder.

If you really want Stanton and Cishek or CarGo or Kemp--you will need to part with some serious talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Last year we gave up Iggy, who we had under team control cheaply for years, for two years worth of a mid-to-BOTR pitcher that was NOT cheap, and under control for just two years.

I loved Iggy and wish he was still here, but Peavy is not a mid to bottom rotation pitcher.

Have you seen the state of some rotations these days? Peavy would be a #1 or 2 on several teams and no worse than 3 on almost all teams.

Here's a look at SP'ers since 2012:

You have to go down to 190 IP to get a sample size of 145 starting pitchers (30 teams x 5 SPer's = 150). Peavy places...

(1-30= #1 starter, 31-60= #2 starter, etc...)

40th in IP (401.1) #2 starter 

25th in WAR (7.0) #1 starter

23rd in WHIP (1.14) #1 starter

48th in ERA (3.61) #2 starter

34th in ERA- (86) #2 starter (ahead of Ryu & Bumgarner)

To me, Peavy looks like a solid #2 starter as compared to the league average.

I'd have loved to have seen Iggy at SS and Bogey at 3B this year, but Iggy would have been our utility IF'er this year had he not been traded. I'd say we did alright getting a solid #2 starter for 2 years for a utility IF'er.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If you really want Stanton and Cishek or CarGo or Kemp--you will need to part with some serious talent.

Serious talent for Kemp?  If we picked up his contract, Coletti would drive him to Boston for us.

I wouldn't pay anything for Cargpo either.  He has a .990/.767 H/A split, and has averaged 124 games a year over 3 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I said it in another thread: WMB for Alexi Ramirez to play SS. The cost is $10 M for possibly the next three years.

The guy is a proven player--currently .344 BA--4 HR-19 RBI-42 hits in 31 games. 1 error at SS. He's a vet to go along with Ortiz, Nap, Ross, AJ, Size, Vic, Gomes, who know their way around. I would then send Xander down for a couple of weeks to find his groove--just like Nava and Roberts, a couple of seasoned players that need to use some of the new skills they have developed. Bring up Holt for 3 B so he and Herrera can give JBJ some lessons on the correct way to bunt. 

It was like a deer in the headlights Sun. when JBJ got the bunt sign in crucial situations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Don was referring to Pedroia, Bogaerts, WMB, JBJ, Lester, Buchholz, Ellsbury, Hanley, Papelbon, Sanchez, etc.  I'm still waiting for those guys to be promoted.

They were to other teams . Seems only Pedroia and Bogaerts  stay and rest can join their buddies .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What is it we need? Is there a position you feel we need to upgrade?

Lay out what we need…

Then tell us what you would give up.

We have 3 lefty's in the pen-Breslow, Miller and Capuano--we have a kid knocking on the door--Britton.

We have an abundance of RH starters in Boston and AAA.

Perhaps a solid RH power bat---Stanton--too many prospects. Owens, Betts and Xander mentioned earlier. Add two more pitchers --two of the following--Barnes, Ball, RDLR, Webster, Doubront.

JoeBrie says the Dodgers would be happy to give up Kemp's salary--close to $120 M left through 2019. That's a lot less than Ells and you soon have some money coming off the books. Would you add Betts and a pitcher for a reduction in salary or one good prospect in A ball and we pick up his salary?

How would Kemp's bat look with Nap and Ortiz--it would stretch out the lineup a bit. Kemp in LF, JBJ in CF and Vic in RF.----WMB, Xander, Pedroia and Nap, AJ and Ortiz.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

They were to other teams . Seems only Pedroia and Bogaerts  stay and rest can join their buddies .

Was this post supposed to make any kind of sense?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Was this post supposed to make any kind of sense?

LOL.  don seems to be a poster in serious decline. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Given the age of our starters, it is not smart to let any of them go in a trade because at least one or two will go down with significant injury time...if we want a big bat it's not going to come from the minors (Trey Ball???) we have none...which means we have to trade our prospects...and ben is not going to do that...we are going to be stuck with two number 5 hitters being a 3 & 4

As always - 100% correct!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Given the age of our starters, it is not smart to let any of them go in a trade because at least one or two will go down with significant injury time...if we want a big bat it's not going to come from the minors (Trey Ball???) we have none...which means we have to trade our prospects...and ben is not going to do that...we are going to be stuck with two number 5 hitters being a 3 & 4

As always - 100% correct!

I wonder if this summer will be the time that Ben reaches into our minor league depth and makes a deal for that elusive "big bat." Common sense tells you that Workman/Webster/De La Rosa/Ranaudo/Barnes/Owens/etc. are not going to all turn into good major league starting pitchers, and that even if they did, we would not have room for all of them...package a couple of those guys with a stud like Mookie Betts and a couple of others from the lower levels, and would that be enough for someone like Stanton?

I'm usually on the side of caution when it comes to trading our prospects, but we do need a slugger, both short- and long-term, and if Ben wants to get something done, the pieces are there. Should be interesting to watch what unfolds this year.

• Sections
    Shortcuts