Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding?

I am not well read on defensive metrics.  Anyone have any objective information/metrics on how Lowrie is at SS vs. league average?  Just curious.  Thank you in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding?

I prefer to just watch the games.  He seems to an be average fielding SS.  Usually good hands.....perhaps better range to his right than to his left....he has made some expectional plays and he's also butchered a few easy ones....I think w/ Jed he gets playing time because of his bat and you don't worry too much about what you may lose on defense.  That's my take anyways.....

Did you try www.fangraphs.com

or www.baseballreference.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

All I know is he has half as many Es as Andrus and a couple of well respected SS in half as many chances in about half as many games at SS.Tells me he makes the plays he gets to and the RS are getting their moneys worth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Because Lowrie falls apart before ever finished a full MLB season, the data is limited in sample size. The belly flop on the routine DP ball, last night, 3 or 4 steps to his left, that cost two runs, that should be an indication.

For 2011, FanGraphs UZR, Lowrie ranks 57th out of 72 full and part-time SS's.

He's not our CF'er for the next 10 years, but he is our SS for now, trapped in a 2nd Baseman/UIFers body.

His hitting splits v. RHP are the missing link on his true hitting aptitude. His defense is so bad at the most important fielding position in baseball, his hitting against LHP does not make up for it.

His errors are frequent, but his range is only a couple of steps so balls that are easy plays for Elvis are belly flops for Lowrie.

I hope that helped.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding?:
    I am not well read on defensive metrics.  Anyone have any objective information/metrics on how Lowrie is at SS vs. league average ?  Just curious.  Thank you in advance.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4418&position=3B/SS#fieldingadvanced

This season Jed Lowrie has a negative 0.6 defensive Wins Above Replacement, according to Baseball Reference:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lowrije01.shtml

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Re: Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding?:
    Because Lowrie falls apart before ever finished a full MLB season, the data is limited in sample size. The belly flop on the routine DP ball, last night, 3 or 4 steps to his left, that cost two runs, that should be an indication. For 2011, FanGraphs UZR, Lowrie ranks 57th out of 72 full and part-time SS's. He's not our CF'er for the next 10 years, but he is our SS for now, trapped in a 2nd Baseman/UIFers body. His hitting splits v. RHP are the missing link on his true hitting aptitude. His defense is so bad at the most important fielding position in baseball, his hitting against LHP does not make up for it. His errors are frequent, but his range is only a couple of steps so balls that are easy plays for Elvis are belly flops for Lowrie. I hope that helped.objective?Cry
    Posted by majorleague

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

ML: [/sarcasm-font]Thanks for the objective analysis[sarcasm-font/].  Are you openly SoftLaw in this incarnation or do I have to pretend you are just a new poster who happens to share the same views as Softy and BaseballGM?

FWIW, I've been checking the split stats.  If you run out of anti-Lowrie arguments you should look up his Home/Away stats ... he's pretty awful away from Fenway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2010 OPS

Away  .962
    Home  .840

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Lowrie v. RHP for 2011

BA .253  OBP .315  SLG  .354 OPS .669  0 Homers 22 Strike Outs 8 Walks

Hint: Most pithers are Right Handed 

The only SS I've ever seen do a belly flop on a routine DP ball was in little league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

2010 OPS Away  .962 Home  .840
    Posted by tom-uk

Tom - Your bull$#it meter is clearly broken ... please have it repaired.  Also, we shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good negative position.  
    :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

The thing is that I like Jed, despite the goatie beard attempt to look tougher. His double and extra base on the Adam Jones error that was ruled a triple was a work of art to see that stork just a diggin' away. Folks, Jed Lowrie is an elite MLB SS, right before your eyes. I know that because someone on this board said so.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Hill: Am I correct in assuming that -0.6 dWAR is basically not good but not AWFUL?

ML: See below for a worse v RH "pithers" stat (hint, player initials are MS).  Also, you never answered my question: have you abandoned the silly BGM position; are you openly SoftLaw version X?

the other RS SS v. RHP (2011):
    BA=.212 OBP=.268 SLG=.250 OPS=.518

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Avg SS MLB 2011

Jed

He has a career at SS +5.9  UZR (+9.0 UZR/150) from Fanghs.  Many folks say you need multiple years of data for UZR to be meaningful, and I doubt that he has been worth a positive UZR at SS for his career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Does every one realize majorleague has no positive threads ever................must be a lonely life to have such pessimistic out look all the time............

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Hill: Am I correct in assuming that -0.6 dWAR is basically not good but not AWFUL? ML: See below for a worse v RH "pithers" stat (hint, player initials are MS).  Also, you never answered my question: have you abandoned the silly BGM position; are you openly SoftLaw version X? the other RS SS v. RHP (2011): BA=.212 OBP=.268 SLG=.250 OPS=.518
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

Based on this season's small sample to date, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis lead the Red Sox with a positive 0.4 defensive WAR while Adrian Gonzalez is right behind at a positive 0.3 defensive WAR, according to Total Zone Rating (TZR) as reported at Baseball Reference:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2011.shtml

Jed Lowrie is a distant last in defensive WAR at a negative 0.6.

Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR) as reported at FanGraphs gives Lowrie a similar assessment:

http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?team=Red Sox&pos=all&stats=fld&qual=0&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

See my positive comments on the Red Sox (dating back to the zip-zip start of the season), if the current 3 solid performing starters stay healthy, are about to blow by Yankees and Rays and win the AL East.

Jim, you have hard time with people who don't agree with you. Get over it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding? : Based on this season's small sample to date, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis lead the Red Sox with a positive 0.4 defensive WAR while Adrian Gonzalez is right behind at a positive 0/3 defensive WAR, according to Total Zone Rating (TZR) as reported at Baseball Reference: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2011.shtml Jed Lowrie is a distant last in defensive WAR at a negative 0.6. Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR) as reported at FanGraphs gives Lowrie a similar assessment: http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?team=RedSox&pos=all&stats=fld&qual=0&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011
    Posted by hill55

You didn't answer his question, you robotic tool.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

See my positive comments on the Red Sox (dating back to the zip-zip start of the season), if the current 3 solid performing starters stay healthy, are about to blow by Yankees and Rays and win the AL East. Jim, you have hard time with people who don't agree with you. Get over it.
    Posted by majorleague

Start of the season? You've only been posting here for a little over a week. You must be delusional.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If you were not posting here at the start of the season how can we see the positive comments you proclaim to have made?????????????????
    How can you show them to us????
    How can we believe you even made them?

Just saying proof is that on your current status there are no positive ones.

BTW I do not have an issue with those who disagree.
    Just those that do it with out a basis in fact.
    Just those that have a myopic view and only base their comments on one game or one AB, etc......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

You haven't read the threads I first posted on, weeks ago, Jim.

I have basis in fact, and look forward. You, on the other hand, well, that's a different story.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

You haven't read the threads I first posted on, weeks ago, Jim. I have basis in fact, and look forward. You, on the other hand, well, that's a different story.
    Posted by majorleague

Weeks ago? Please bring documented evidence of what you posted weeks ago.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Girardi-Inept. Show Girardi-Inept's posts

Does every one realize majorleague has no positive threads ever................must be a lonely life to have such pessimistic out look all the time............
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I've been a Yankee fan all of my life and still root for them but Girardi has taken all of the joy out of it for me. I must also admit that the signing of Posada for an extra year, Jeter for three years, and Soriano were Cashman flaws. Over the years the revenues and profits could negate the bad signings but now they are bankrupting the franchise. I am a bitter and disappointed Yankee fan and my dad would be ahamed of this operation if he were still alive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Thing is, that I like Jed despite the goatie beard attempt to look tougher. His double and extra base on the Adam Jones error that was ruled a triple was a work of art to see that stork just a diggin' away. Folks, Jed Lowrie is an elite MLB SS, right before your eyes. I know that because someone on this board said so.
    Posted by majorleague

Huh?

You like Jed, but denounce him at every turn because of his beard that you feel makes him look tough? Is that it? His monster goatie beard?
    What do you think of his nose? How about his fingernails?
    Personally, I think his hairline needs attention. Don't ya think?

How do you treat people you don't like?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

How could someone have posted things a couple weeks ago when their first post was May 9th?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a91b6a777-47ec-44aa-9438-7b93e8de5170&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:91b6a777-47ec-44aa-9438-7b93e8de5170Post:185e3012-fd3e-4d2a-816f-a5c36077e6c1">Re: Any objective measure on Lowrie's fielding?:

You haven't read the threads I first posted on, weeks ago, Jim. I have basis in fact, and look forward. You, on the other hand, well, that's a different story.
    Posted by majorleague

Weeks ago? Please bring documented evidence of what you posted weeks ago.

If he does, he'd have to prove himself a liar by admitting he was GM, softlaw, softlaw1A... the clown.

Sections
Shortcuts