Any of Hugh Still Think Webster is Good, i.e. #2 Red Sox pitching prospect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Any of Hugh Still Think Webster is Good, i.e. #2 Red Sox pitching prospect?

Anyone out there? Or do I hear crickets chirping.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Any of Hugh Still Think Webster is Good, i.e. #2 Red Sox pitching prospect?

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What part of the word prospect don't you understand?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Our FO has been wrong with their prospect predictions as well so nobody can really ever tell if or when a prospect will work out.  With all due respect to hugh he brings a lot to our forum and none of us are always correct.  I'm from CT and have always stood by my Barnes prediction after watching him at UConn even though he has struggled quite a bit so I can relate.

Regardless I'm still hoping Barnes and all our young prospects get their shot and succeed.  If not we need players that better fit our needs that's how the game works.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Webster has good stuff. It is a tad soon to judge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That chirping sound is in your head.  You're starting to remind me of the original Law before he snapped.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

when he snapped..oh man it was fun to watch…we can only hope.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I dont even think hes the #2 anymore.  I think hes a talented young pitcher with control problems, that alone may prevent him from ever being a mlb pitcher.  

That doesnt mean he doesnt have good raw stuff and this all derived from me talking up his potential as a pitcher and at that time this little debate started Webster was #2 according to baseball america and soxprospects.

thats not my opinion, nor am I hedging my bets on him im just stating the facts.   Its also fact that young players struggle, this is known so stop acting like you invented the wheel.

Admittedly I might display too much patience  with the youngsters but you are often too far the other way with zero.  Seriously why dont you go email the guys over at soxprospects and baseball america....seriously...I dare you   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

He has good stuff, he has done very well at AAA, he has done very poorly in 13 starts in the majors.

That is all any of us really knows. Can he be counted on next year? no. Can you write off his career yet? No.

It is what it is. People like making their mind up on a month or two of what a player does. That makes no sense at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not sure about that.  I don't mind pounding on guys like ADG.  It's a good way to release stress if/when the RS lose.  But the original Law looked like he locked himself in the basement and, did nothing but post.  He'd start threads and post 30-50 times on that one thread, and often long responses.  I told him on several occasions to show someone close to him what he did with his time, to encourage him to quit.  

It's one thing to have a little fun at ADG's and Softlaw's expense, but the original Law was gone.  I don't think ADG is quite at that point yet.  He's at least 100 Webster posts from that point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not sure about that.  I don't mind pounding on guys like ADG.  It's a good way to release stress if/when the RS lose.  But the original Law looked like he locked himself in the basement and, did nothing but post.  He'd start threads and post 30-50 times on that one thread, and often long responses.  I told him on several occasions to show someone close to him what he did with his time, to encourage him to quit.  

It's one thing to have a little fun at ADG's and Softlaw's expense, but the original Law was gone.  I don't think ADG is quite at that point yet.  He's at least 100 Webster posts from that point.

[/QUOTE]

Law posted around 200 times a day and pretended he was a high powered lawyer. Those two things don't go together. The guy was unhinged. He couldn't stop, you could feel his desperation coming through the screen.

I have to say though, Law is the reason I switch screen names. He and I used to fight constantly, I would get banned all the time. Because of my battles with him I now change my screen name every few years, it feels odd not to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Baseball America say this 

"Most frustrating for the Red Sox is that Webster has outrageously good, top-of-the-rotation stuff that belies his inconsistent performance. He features a 93-98 mph fastball with sink that induces poor contact and a swing-and-miss change.

But his inability to harness his fastball make it uncertain whether he’ll reach the ceiling forecast for him."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/fantasy/what-to-expect-red-sox-rhp-allen-webster/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

He has good stuff, he has done very well at AAA, he has done very poorly in 13 starts in the majors.

That is all any of us really knows. Can he be counted on next year? no. Can you write off his career yet? No.

It is what it is. People like making their mind up on a month or two of what a player does. That makes no sense at all.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I look at him and DLR as found lottery tickets.  When we made the trade, I'd have been happy if either turned into a high-leverage RP.  All these guys (Webster, DLR, Ranaudo, Workman, Kelly, and Barnes)walk too many guys for my taste.  Owens too, but he's a lot younger.

I think, and this is deep in IMHO territory, I think the two kids we just traded for are out #2 and #3 pitching prospects.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stop making sense

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stop making sense

[/QUOTE]

All right…Tazawa for the rotation? ahahahahahaa

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has good stuff for a flat 97mph fastball, but that is all. He can't throw strikes and doesn't have more than 2 pitches. He's done well at AAA but that is because he's a AAAA pitcher

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I have always said and still believe Webster has a solid career in front of him as a middle reliever.  

I also think a lot of people on this forum are COMPLETELY CLUELESS when it comes to prospects

Oh and Webster has like 70 IP  for his career...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stop making sense

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

I'm all for giving prospects a chance to prove themselves and you know I have never been on the Webster bandwagon.  All I would like to see is others like Barnes get a shot over Webster who has been given quite a few starts based on minor league stats and past prospect rankings.  In a lost season like 2014 I'm fine if our FO wants to give Webster a start here and there but others like Barnes who may have opposite type stats at the minor league level might be fun to watch in a season where wins come far and few between anyway.  He may not do much better but who cares at this point?  It's been great seeing more of De La Rosa and Renaudo but shelving Webster for now may not due much harm.  I'm just not seeing a very versatile arsenal of controlled pitches from Webster who I predicted may have a Phil Hughes type career at best. 

Things could change but let's give the same opportunity to others like we did Betts over JBJ.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If we have 12 pitching prospects that start games--he's #12.

He has the look of a losing pitcher--he does not exude any confidence. Even games he wins he looks like he's gong to lose.

He should be moved--like sent to Japan for a couple of years. It's crazy--if you send him to AAA he will do just fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

I agree he is not making much of his extended opportunity.  Isn't it nice to find out in a losing season though?  It does look like DeLarosa is a keeper though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stop making sense

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

I'm all for giving prospects a chance to prove themselves and you know I have never been on the Webster bandwagon.  All I would like to see is others like Barnes get a shot over Webster who has been given quite a few starts based on minor league stats and past prospect rankings.  In a lost season like 2014 I'm fine if our FO wants to give Webster a start here and there but others like Barnes who may have opposite type stats at the minor league level might be fun to watch in a season where wins come far and few between anyway.  He may not do much better but who cares at this point?  It's been great seeing more of De La Rosa and Renaudo but shelving Webster for now may not due much harm.  I'm just not seeing a very versatile arsenal of controlled pitches from Webster who I predicted may have a Phil Hughes type career at best. 

Things could change but let's give the same opportunity to others like we did Betts over JBJ.

[/QUOTE]

So are you saying he will be a pretty good pitcher everywhere except Yankee Stadium?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

He's a prospect.  That's what he is.  Cherington and all GMs will tell you if 1 out of 4 stay in the bigs, it's a success for the farm.   It's a question for baseball ops to decide, not us.  He hasn't succeeded in the big league starts, but so have many eventual good pitchers before him.   

The point?  No one knows a darn thing.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Webster has good stuff. Control issues can be rectified on changing delivery style perhaps.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[/QUOTE]

So are you saying he will be a pretty good pitcher everywhere except Yankee Stadium?

[/QUOTE]

notin,

A lot of things have changed since I first stated Webster may have some success at the major league level "like Hughes" but never be a #1 or 2 on any contending team.  Since that time I have seen little to convince me otherwise.  When I said things could change I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but right now anyway his lack of control and variety of polished pitches just isn't here.  At this point watching Webster pitch is as predictable as Theo's boy David Pauley pitch.  Remember the kid Theo gave 6 starts to in 2008 and he never had a win?  Webster has had 13 and I'm sure most fans have seen enough for now.  Hughes is having one of his best years ever from a WHIP standpoint but he's now 28, not 21 when fans thought he and Clay would eventually be the next long term #1 for both the Yanks and Sox.  Webster may have similar success at some point but right now he doesn't have it.