ANY RUMORS ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

ANY RUMORS ?

Very quiet on the trade front and the free agency front on Long Island. Has anyone heard anything up in Boston concerning Red Sox ?n Please Share It !

In any event have a Happy New Year everyone to you and your families and a safe one as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: ANY RUMORS ?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/boston_red_sox/index.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Yankees Will Not Sign Stephen Drew By  Jeff Todd [December 31 at 11:59am CST]

Yankees GM Brian Cashman says that the club will not sign Stephen Drew, reports Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com (via Twitter). After missing out on Omar Infante, New York had been rumored to be considering a run at the free agent infielder.

As MLBTR's Charlie Wilmoth recently explained, Drew is far and away the most attractive middle infielder left on the open market. For New York, then, choosing to pass on his services means that the club will not further supplement its infield mix through a significant free agent signing. A trade may still be possible, but having re-signed Derek Jeter and Brendan Ryanwhile adding Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson, the Yanks have already been quite active in adding players who can man short, second, or third.

If the Yankees are indeed out on Drew, relatively dry demand figures to remain the major impediment to a substantial, multi-year deal for the 30-year-old. Last we heard, Drew wasstill in discussions with the Mets. And, of course, Drew could still fit in Boston. But as Gammons notes, it will be "delicate" for the Red Sox to bring him back on a pillow contract after he turned down the club's qualifying offer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Very quiet on the trade front and the free agency front on Ling Island. Has anyone heard anything up in Boston concerning Red SoX ? Please Share It !

In any event have a Happy New Year everyone to you and your families and a safe one as well.

AL..same to you have a good one

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If Drew does not find another job for better (whatever the amount is) that the Sox offer he will be back.

I say 7M for one year (and, maybe 13M for two years), bring your gloves to play other infield positions and welcome to the tail end years of your major league career.  If he has a really good year, perhaps he may find another offer for 2015.

Bet he does not decline the next qualifying offer that he receives (if he ever gets another one).  Might also think of getting a new agent if he indeed has to sign back with the Sox for a year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the sox roster is pretty much set. the only moves they make going forward are likely to be small ones. the biggest move they would make (barring an unforseen blockbuster) is resigning Drew.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the sox roster is pretty much set. the only moves they make going forward are likely to be small ones. the biggest move they would make (barring an unforseen blockbuster) is resigning Drew.

Or signing Tanaka Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Or signing Tanaka Wink

we can only dream...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Or signing Tanaka Wink

i'd like that but my post wasn't in relation to what I wanted but what i thought was most likey the sox did going forward. if i were in charge i'd make a serious play for Tanaka. it's not everyday a 25 year old FA with ace potential comes around. if the scouts say hes good to go then i'd take it and run.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In answer to your post, to my knowledge there hasn't been even one rumor since the trade for Herrera, and only 3 minor league signings which included Diaz, Cellestino and Spring 2 pitchers and a catcher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

typically it's always quiet during the Christmas Holiday through the 1st week of January...

Part of the reason it's so quiet right now is duecto the late posting of Tanaka. Who's lead domino that has to fall before the rest of the top pitchers sign. Once that happens, teams that were in the hunt that failed to sign one of Tanaka, Garza, Jimenez, Santana & Arroyo. Will then begin to call clubs they contacted during the winter meetings, who've made it known they have pitching and are willing to deal (Red Sox, Cubs & Rays). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Yankees Will Not Sign Stephen Drew By  Jeff Todd [December 31 at 11:59am CST]

Yankees GM Brian Cashman says that the club will not sign Stephen Drew, reports Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com (via Twitter). After missing out on Omar Infante, New York had been rumored to be considering a run at the free agent infielder.

As MLBTR's Charlie Wilmoth recently explained, Drew is far and away the most attractive middle infielder left on the open market. For New York, then, choosing to pass on his services means that the club will not further supplement its infield mix through a significant free agent signing. A trade may still be possible, but having re-signed Derek Jeter and Brendan Ryanwhile adding Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson, the Yanks have already been quite active in adding players who can man short, second, or third.

If the Yankees are indeed out on Drew, relatively dry demand figures to remain the major impediment to a substantial, multi-year deal for the 30-year-old. Last we heard, Drew wasstill in discussions with the Mets. And, of course, Drew could still fit in Boston. But as Gammons notes, it will be "delicate" for the Red Sox to bring him back on a pillow contract after he turned down the club's qualifying offer.

Ummmmm, they signed Napoli to a pillow contract after he turned down the club's qualifying offer. And I don't remember reading a comment like that about Napoli. IMO Drew adds more value to the team. SS isn't as easily replaced as first base. Yes, I know we have Bogearts, but anything can happen with that between him and Middlebrooks. That comment makes no sense to me.

I don't think we win the WS without the plays Drew made. Like I've said before, I'm not worried about how the SS is at bat, as long as he's an ace in the field. That saves more games than his bat would win. Boras is the real problem with the Drew signing. He wants Bogearts to be the full-time SS. It's amazing that a agent can represent two players competing for the same position on the same team. Conflict of interest if there every was one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Or signing Tanaka Wink

i'd like that but my post wasn't in relation to what I wanted but what i thought was most likey the sox did going forward. if i were in charge i'd make a serious play for Tanaka. it's not everyday a 25 year old FA with ace potential comes around. if the scouts say hes good to go then i'd take it and run.

They have to get Tanaka. They at least have to make a strong effort to do so. IMO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

. But as Gammons notes, it will be "delicate" for the Red Sox to bring him back on a pillow contract after he turned down the club's qualifying offer.

Ummmmm, they signed Napoli to a pillow contract after he turned down the club's qualifying offer. And I don't remember reading a comment like that about Napoli. IMO Drew adds more value to the team. SS isn't as easily replaced as first base. Yes, I know we have Bogearts, but anything can happen with that between him and Middlebrooks. That comment makes no sense to me.

I don't think we win the WS without the plays Drew made. Like I've said before, I'm not worried about how the SS is at bat, as long as he's an ace in the field. That saves more games than his bat would win. Boras is the real problem with the Drew signing. He wants Bogearts to be the full-time SS. It's amazing that a agent can represent two players competing for the same position on the same team. Conflict of interest if there every was one.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am not confident with Jackie Bradley Junior as a hitter. I think he can field but not sure about his hitting. I thought he struggled hitting at the major league level in limited appearances. I am concerned about the potential drop in the production from the loss of Jacoby Ellsbury.

On another note I would not trust Cashman when he says that he is not interested in signing Drew. Drew is a much better defensive shortstop than Jeter who they could stash on the bench and wait until Jeter retires next year. Sorry I do not trust that Yankee front office after the Johnny Damon fiasco and the Mark Teixera signing. Cashman has no credibility when he says they are not interested in signing someone. He is like a poker player. Scott Boras always brings his guys to the Yankees for their cash and Boras never leaves a nickel on the table or floor with his clients.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Or signing Tanaka Wink

They have to get Tanaka. They at least have to make a strong effort to do so. IMO

i agree and think they will get involved. no doubt they have a hard line they will not cross for his services but i trust that it will be close enough to his eventual deal that the lure of the WS championship as well as the excellent facilities already in place helping japanese players make the transition might sway his decision.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Bil will become Obama-807

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I am not confident with Jackie Bradley Junior as a hitter. I think he can field but not sure about his hitting. I thought he struggled hitting at the major league level in limited appearances. I am concerned about the potential drop in the production from the loss of Jacoby Ellsbury.

On another note I would not trust Cashman when he says that he is not interested in signing Drew. Drew is a much better defensive shortstop than Jeter who they could stash on the bench and wait until Jeter retires next year. Sorry I do not trust that Yankee front office after the Johnny Damon fiasco and the Mark Teixera signing. Cashman has no credibility when he says they are not interested in signing someone. He is like a poker player. Scott Boras always brings his guys to the Yankees for their cash and Boras never leaves a nickel on the table or floor with his clients.

Bradley certainly has much to prove...I doubt the Sox will just hand the centerfield job to him if Cherington and Farrel don't think he's ready. The kid has tools and has hit at every level. I'm fine with the Sox opening the year with him in CF and batting 9th. The chief reason is because they have a safety net already in place with Victorino who is a gold glove CF and will likely leadoff and replace Ellsbury's bat and base stealing ability at the top of the order with either Pedrioa or Nava hitting 2nd.As the roster / lineup stands today and barring the acquisition of another bat. If we assume that Victorino, Pedrioa, Ortiz, Napoli, Nava/Gomes platoon in left all produce it to career norms the top of our order 1-5 will still be very productive. The million dollar question for the Red Sox is how productive will the bottom of the order be? I feel good about our catching duo they won't lead the league in anything both are grinders..Which brings me to the three amigos, Bogaert's, Middlebrooks and Bradley...how well they fare will determine just how potent our lineup will be. 

As for Cashman and the Yankees, I subscribe to the theory of don't sweat the small stuff and assume they'll do everything within thier powers to field a championship roster every year capable of winning 95 games and be a legit  postseason/world series contender. So if they want to sign Drew good for them...like every other club they can only suit up 25 guys on game day and bat nine and pitch one...How they chose to build thier roster doesn't matter in the big picture...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would not be surprised if Tanaka lands in Boston.  But I have a feeling that a team such as the Cubs or Mariners will sign him.  

I am not too fond of the remaining free agents.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Bradley certainly has much to prove...I doubt the Sox will just hand the centerfield job to him if Cherington and Farrel don't think he's ready. The kid has tools and has hit at every level. I'm fine with the Sox opening the year with him in CF and batting 9th. The chief reason is because they have a safety net already in place with Victorino who is a gold glove CF and will likely leadoff and replace Ellsbury's bat and base stealing ability at the top of the order with either Pedrioa or Nava hitting 2nd.

the biggest thing working in JBJs favor offensively is that he fits into our offensive approach. he projects to be a high OBP guy and more importantly, is likely to see a ton of pitches. i'd go as far to say if he plays the whole year out of the 9 hole that he'll see more pitches than any other #9 hitter.

as for IVC replacing Jacobys production at the top of the order i think that's a little farfetched. he is capable of replacing his speed a tthe top of the lineup but not his bat. Jacoby has pretty even splits against LHP and RHP. IVCs splits are much more drastic and make the notion of him being our everyday leadoff hitter a shaky proposition at best. On the other hand, he is the closest thing we have to a true leadoff hitter. Given the choice, i would bat Pedroia in the leadoff spot every day before i turned to IVC.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Guys the sox maybe looking at as possibble additions: Reed Johnson OF, Juan Pierre OF, Cesar Izturis UP, and depending on if they make any trades of their excess pitching: Westbrook, Oswalt, O'Flaherty, of course there is Tanaka the prize of pitching this off season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Bradley certainly has much to prove...I doubt the Sox will just hand the centerfield job to him if Cherington and Farrel don't think he's ready. The kid has tools and has hit at every level. I'm fine with the Sox opening the year with him in CF and batting 9th. The chief reason is because they have a safety net already in place with Victorino who is a gold glove CF and will likely leadoff and replace Ellsbury's bat and base stealing ability at the top of the order with either Pedrioa or Nava hitting 2nd.

the biggest thing working in JBJs favor offensively is that he fits into our offensive approach. he projects to be a high OBP guy and more importantly, is likely to see a ton of pitches. i'd go as far to say if he plays the whole year out of the 9 hole that he'll see more pitches than any other #9 hitter.

as for IVC replacing Jacobys production at the top of the order i think that's a little farfetched. he is capable of replacing his speed a tthe top of the lineup but not his bat. Jacoby has pretty even splits against LHP and RHP. IVCs splits are much more drastic and make the notion of him being our everyday leadoff hitter a shaky proposition at best. On the other hand, he is the closest thing we have to a true leadoff hitter. Given the choice, i would bat Pedroia in the leadoff spot every day before i turned to IVC.

I concur, I too can see Bradley as the opening day CF, batting ninth and being productive. 

Just to be clear. I wasn't trying to imply that Victorino is as good a hitter as Ellsbury and clearly is not the running threat, but is a guy that makes the opposing pitchers work, gets on base and has some speed. As for his splits they might be irrelevant entering 2014 given the success he had Last year batting exclusively righthanded. While I wouldn't be opposed to Pedrioa leading off, more likely he'll hit 2nd or 3rd at least to begin the year. That's assuming they don't add another bat before the season begins?

Victorino-Nava-Pedrioa-Ortiz-Napoli-Bogaerts-Pierzinski-Middlebrooks-Bradley...the top three are all 350 plus ob guys with Papi and Napoli the power guys...Bogaerts batting 5th will have a ton of at bats with men on base and could be a 20 Hr/90 RBI...Pierzinski is a professional hitter  and having Middlebrooks hitting 8th and Bradley 9th would allow both of to relax and let the game come to them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't see the Sox out -bidding the Yankees for Tanaka. We can only hope. I am seeing a sense of complacency this off season. Perhaps it is justified, since we are the champs after all.  But there has not been even one significant addition made to date.  Success depends on the continued health of the veterans and the performance of a couple of promising and talented rookies.  At this moment , the team is not as good as the one that hoisted the World Series trophy. Last season was a great success. Cannot say the same for this off season.

Sections
Shortcuts