Any Thoughts On Demp,s Against The O,s.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Any Thoughts On Demp,s Against The O,s.......

I'm going to be optimistic here and say he pitches better: 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 K.

Of course this is at least what I'm hoping.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I think Dumpster is useless. He is facing a pretty good Orioles lineup. Here is the line I predict for him: < 5 IP, 6ER surrendered. If the Red Sox are going to win tomorrow they better score a lot of runs.

Dempster is average. average isn't useless.

It's average.

Average for a #5 SP, maybe. IMO thats pretty useless if you are really trying to make a run at October baseball, especially if you don't have a true ace on your team.

Useless is what Aaron Cook and Dice-K gave the Sox as 5th starters last year.  Dempster is far and away better than that.  I hope the numbers you predict for Dempster are wrong, as I expect that production from Aceves on Thursday.  If the Sox are to win this series, they need an effective start from Dempster, IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

On Wed, I Think He Will Go 7 Give Up 2 Runs At Most, 1st Game At Home...........

He won't be the same, without Iggy  !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

"Average" pitcher in the National League usually equates to "useless" in the American League

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think Dumpster is useless. He is facing a pretty good Orioles lineup. Here is the line I predict for him: < 5 IP, 6ER surrendered. If the Red Sox are going to win tomorrow they better score a lot of runs.

It's average.

Average for a #5 SP, maybe. IMO thats pretty useless if you are really trying to make a run at October baseball, especially if you don't have a true ace on your team.

Go look at the 2007 staff and see what the No. 5 starter did, which Dempster is not. If Buchholz and Lester stay healthy, they're going to be better than the top two pitchers the Sox had in 2007 -- Beckett-Wakefield. Dempster very well could be the DiceK of that staff -- high ERA from a number of poor starts but enough good starts to win 15 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wow.  Lot of negative overstatement here about a decent pitcher.  I won't bother defending him other than to say, at the end of this year, assuming he stays healthy, lets compare his performance against the rest of the American league regulars #4s and 5s.  I am extremely confident that he will be at or close to the top of that group of pitchers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Dempster was a .500 pitcher in the NATIONAL League.  Please explain to me why we should expect better in the AMERICAN League.

Name me 3 pitchers (not name Pedro Martinez) that were better once they moved from the NL to the AL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to KRomine's comment:

Dempster was a .500 pitcher in the NATIONAL League.  Please explain to me why we should expect better in the AMERICAN League.

Name me 3 pitchers (not name Pedro Martinez) that were better once they moved from the NL to the AL

Jeremy Guthrie

Jason Hammel

Esteban Loaiza

Enough?  Kevin Correia is also off to great start after the switch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Also...W-L record as a measure?

Dempster had sn ERA+ of 119 ss a starter from 2008 to 2011.  That alone makes him abovaverage in the NL.

An

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Some O's sample size match ups against Dempster.  

Chris Davis: .000 AVG 3 ABs ) RBIs

Hardy: .095 AVG 21 ABs 2 RBIs

Adam Jones: .667, 3, 1

Machado: .000, 3, 0

Markakis: .333, 3, 0

McLouth: .250, 16, 2

Pearce: .500, 2, 0

Wieters: .000, 3, 0

Even though it's very small smaple size, I think Demps got a real chance tonight for his first victory in Sox uni.  Our hitters have hit well against Arrieta (again small sample size).

Ells: .400 AVG 5 ABs 2 HRs 2 RBIs

Gomes: .000/1/0/0

Middy: .667/3/0/1

Naps: .400/5/1/1

Nava: .600/5/1/1

Pedey: .364/11/1/3

Ross: 1.000/2/1/4

Salty: .500/2/0/0

Vic: 1.000/3/1/5

My guess on Demps tomnight: 7IP 6H 3R 3BB 6K 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

5 2/3  3 runs  5 SO   2Walks 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

6 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K

Thats about the line Id give him for most games

6-7IP 6-8H 3-5R 2-4BB 5-8K's

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The O's are a more aggressive hitting team then the Yankees are....that plays better in to Dempsters strengths......I think his line tonight, while proabbly still gving up 3 runs will include less walks and pitches which will allow him to go deeper than the 5 innings previous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

My prediction,

6 1/3 innings, 5 Ks, 4 BBs, 3 earned runs as the Red Sox win 6-5.    :)

5 innings pitched, 5 earned runs, 6 strikeouts and 3 base on balls.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Last time he pitched was what? Three earned runs in five innings? That wasn't bad.

=ERA of 5.40

About right for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It's average.

Go look at the 2007 staff and see what the No. 5 starter did, which Dempster is not. If Buchholz and Lester stay healthy, they're going to be better than the top two pitchers the Sox had in 2007 -- Beckett-Wakefield. Dempster very well could be the DiceK of that staff -- high ERA from a number of poor starts but enough good starts to win 15 games.

Dempster AL ERA: 5.11, WHIP: 1.459. Not numbers to be proud of for our ostensible #3 SP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Last time he pitched was what? Three earned runs in five innings? That wasn't bad.

=ERA of 5.40

About right for him.

Id say more like 4.50 by the end of the season. you can count on a couple of stinkers to inflate the era, but all in all I think he will be good for a 4/5 starter and end up in the mid 4's for an era.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It's average.

Dempster AL ERA: 5.11, WHIP: 1.459. Not numbers to be proud of for our ostensible #3 SP.

He went 7-3 and out of his 12 starts he had 7 games with 3 runs or less, 1 with 4R, 2 with 5R and the 2 bad games when he first switched leagues adjusting to the AL that inflated his era giving up 8R in those 2 games. Take out those 2 bad starts adjusting and he has a low 4 era.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I thought Demspter was outstanding, in his 5 innings tonight. Maybe he can build up to 6 innings.

Not like there wasn't an hour rain delay between the 5th and the 6th. Do you even watch the games?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

5 innings 3 runs is ok, but if dempster cant manage his pitches and pitch further into games, we will essentially have another dice k on our hands. we are going to burn out our pen with guys like demps and doubront only going 5 innings cuz they cant manage their pitches. 93 pitches in 5 innings is far too high, we need minimum 6 innings from out starters. more from the top 2.