Anybody know why Farrell didn't pinch-hit for Gomes in 9th?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Anybody know why Farrell didn't pinch-hit for Gomes in 9th?

Kind of a head-scratcher, with Nava and Carp available.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Anybody know why Farrell didn't pinch-hit for Gomes in 9th?

Gomes on the roster is kind of a head scratcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely a key move with the bases loaded and all.  Wait a second.  Didn't Rodney strike out the side in the 9th?  I believe he did.  Yes, Nava or Carp could have batted, but the outcome was going to be the same.  The Sox couldn't hit spit last night after the 1st inning--with Drew getting the lone hit, a double, after which he was of course stranded. 

I thought he should have had Drew bunt after the leadoff double in the 9th the other night, but, when questioned, Farrell said he wanted the hot bat to swing away, and in fact Drew did hit the ball hard, but it was caught by the SS. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I was wondering about why there was not a pinch hitter in the 9th for Gomes as well.

Gomes is becoming kind of big question mark for me although I did not think poorly of his signing with the Sox.

He has been almost helpless at the plate and dangerous in the field.  I understand that his fielding has probably come as advertised, but outside of his two home runs he has almost not even been on base so far this year.

I hope that he can do better quickly or he is going to be a worthless signing (and, for TWO  years).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I was wondering about why there was not a pinch hitter in the 9th for Gomes as well.

Gomes is becoming kind of big question mark for me although I did not think poorly of his signing with the Sox.

He has been almost helpless at the plate and dangerous in the field.  I understand that his fielding has probably come as advertised, but outside of his two home runs he has almost not even been on base so far this year.

I hope that he can do better quickly or he is going to be a worthless signing (and, for TWO  years).

actually I think hes been a LOT better in the field than most thought, including me. Hes already made 3 highlight reel catches this year in limited time. With one being last night. laying out on that hard turf.

Overall, no hes not doing good at the plate. Personally, Id like to see him get more time than he has. Maybe that will get him in some kind of groove. Or I could be completely wrongUndecided

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

actually I think hes been a LOT better in the field than most thought, including me. Hes already made 3 highlight reel catches this year in limited time. With one being last night. laying out on that hard turf.

Overall, no hes not doing good at the plate. Personally, Id like to see him get more time than he has. Maybe that will get him in some kind of groove. Or I could be completely wrongUndecided

that's what I've been thinking

kinda hard to knock a guy with

such erratic playing time

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He probably could have used Carp, but none of those 3 have ever had a hit against Rodney

Gomes - 0 for 6 1K

Nava - 0 for 5 2K 1BB

Carp - 0 for 2 1K

Really, is there an obvious choice?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why is Gomes playing and Bradley in AAA? Just like Drew he is sucking team oxygen because Ben was dumb enough to sign them and pay them more than anyone ever did....if youre going to play like a last place team, at least give the young prospects who represent the future the chance to play everyday in the majors...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to notin's comment:

He probably could have used Carp, but none of those 3 have ever had a hit against Rodney

Gomes - 0 for 6 1K

Nava - 0 for 5 2K 1BB

Carp - 0 for 2 1K

Really, is there an obvious choice?

No good histories there vs. Rodney, agreed. 

But moving to another criterion, vs. all RHP this year:

Gomes 194/316/226

Nava 301/406/494

Carp 364/400/818

Salty 303/361/566 (1 for 7 vs. Rodney, a HR)

I still don't get not PHing for Gomes there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

why is Gomes playing and Bradley in AAA? Just like Drew he is sucking team oxygen because Ben was dumb enough to sign them and pay them more than anyone ever did....if youre going to play like a last place team, at least give the young prospects who represent the future the chance to play everyday in the majors...

I don't disagree entirely with your statement. My comment is have your best 25 on the ML roster. Continue daily to work to improve your team--hold WMB accountable--you are asking for Iggy to return and move Drew. Why not give WMB some time  at AAA and put Drew at 3 B and bring up Iggy or play Ciriaco at SS. WMB is getting a free ride with a seperated rib--perhaps he should be on the DL.

Move Vic to CF and put Ells on the bench for a few days--platoon , platoon, platoon. Give the team the best chance of winning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I understand what your saying , but I think the problem with having Bradley up here geo, is the fact that 1) Hes a LHH, which is Navas strong side, along with Carp being LH. 2) He will be platooned and wont get the FT AB's he needs. 3) Nava and Carp are doing good and should play, so there would be a platoon.

Until JBJ can play FT, I dont see any reason to bring him up to sit him on the bench part time. Unless someone like Vic or Ells goes down with a big injury, I just dont see how it makes any sense right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I understand what your saying , but I think the problem with having Bradley up here geo, is the fact that 1) Hes a LHH, which is Navas strong side, along with Carp being LH. 2) He will be platooned and wont get the FT AB's he needs. 3) Nava and Carp are doing good and should play, so there would be a platoon.

Until JBJ can play FT, I dont see any reason to bring him up to sit him on the bench part time. Unless someone like Vic or Ells goes down with a big injury, I just dont see how it makes any sense right now.

but we both know that Ells is GONE after this season....get him up here and playing asap...get him exposed now, along with Iggy, play them everyday - Drew is gone as well after this year...i just dont get why we are choosing to not transition these guys at all at the MLB level and choose instead to play these overpaid, underperforming mercenaries who have no stake in the team future....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

but we both know that Ells is GONE after this season....get him up here and playing asap...get him exposed now, along with Iggy, play them everyday - Drew is gone as well after this year...i just dont get why we are choosing to not transition these guys at all at the MLB level and choose instead to play these overpaid, underperforming mercenaries who have no stake in the team future....

Because you know as well as I do that they arent going to sit Ells. If they trade him or decide to give him a QO, he needs to perform. Vic is doing well and has earned his spot IMO along with Nava and to some extent, Carp. JBJ will get called up when rosters expand and get some more time to "transition", along with a few more guys. Then next year, they will take over. Drew has been steady and Iggy hasnt in AAA, again. Plus the attitude did him no good and was not warranted. Both will be up in Sept. and get some playing time unless an injury should happen.

I cant wait to see them playing here full time too geo. They'll have their time soon enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

But he's a great clubhouse guy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The same reason he didn't bunt the other day when Middlebrooks led off with a "Double" and Drew was up hitting his whopping .222! I'd say it all a part of his learning curve with regards to managing, but?  Bad teams do bad things................

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Anybody know why they haven't simply paid Gomes off and sent him home? Living in Ft Myers, I say Gomes a lot when he was with the Rays; including every game he ever played against the Red Sox. But this is not the same guy! I was all ofr the signing; what's to lose except money. Well, it didn't work out. He needs to be cut loose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Nava should be in the lineup every game!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jozee76's comment:

The same reason he didn't bunt the other day when Middlebrooks led off with a "Double" and Drew was up hitting his whopping .222! I'd say it all a part of his learning curve with regards to managing, but?  Bad teams do bad things................

Drews average was better over the last 2+ weeks than his overall average would indicate. It was a good move to let a hot bat swing away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

The clock has been reset on arbitration and free agency by now regarding Bradley. Is he hitting well down at Pawtucket? If he is then I am sure that Ben will consider bringing him up.

Why? to sit on the bench part time? He was on the DL last I heard anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Gomes would do better if he wasnt playing so sporadically. You guys act like its easy to not play for 5 games then get in there and have great timing. Its harder for some guys than others. Maybe playing him a couple times a week regardless of a RH or LHP. Hes hit balls off of plenty of RHP. I think Farrell isnt Platooning him correctly and he would benefit from at least trying that approach...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yeah Drew is KILLING this team, what with his .321 / .393 / .509 hiitting numbers over the last 15 games.  And his 2Hr and 11RBI in that stretch have just been nothing but detrimental!

And that ONE ERROR on the season!   In 28 games!  That is a deadly pace.  The way he is going, he might get 5 or 6 of them!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Yeah Drew is KILLING this team, what with his .321 / .393 / .509 hiitting numbers over the last 15 games.  And his 2Hr and 11RBI in that stretch have just been nothing but detrimental!

And that ONE ERROR on the season!   In 28 games!  That is a deadly pace.  The way he is going, he might get 5 or 6 of them!

you are choosing a fifteen game sample when the season is only a quarter over? why not just cite his season long stats?  dishonest and dumb

not so impressive eh?

it always amazes me how posters like Notin will go to the mat for mercenary temps like Drew just to support managment....i have never heard anyone of the Pats boards lose their minds supporting/justifying a Brandon Lloyd free agent signing....or anyone else for that matter for one year....they are obviously just fill in players...except for Ben, he gave the most important field position to Drew....

Sections
Shortcuts