Anybody miss the old days?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Anybody miss the old days?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Anybody miss the old days?

I miss those old brown and yellow Padres unis, the tealish-puke Mariners road unis, and revealed stirrups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

http://www.thesportsdesignblog.com/2011/05/17/team-colors-by-sport/

Mildly interesting stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

omg iceman.  i totally forgot about the hostess box baseball cards.  good stuff!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Trying to keep the thread alive...this one brings back memories.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In style terms, it's only (universally-worn) stirrups I really miss in baseball.  I freely admit that the only sports I care about anymore are baseball and international football (soccer) (i.e. World Cup, international club games, etc.) so I am undoubtedly biased.

I'm the last person to pine for the (always comically fictional) "good old days" (be them about good things like nuclear families, communities and less grotesquely unfair wealth distribution....or bad things like smallpox, slavery and a lack of universal suffrage)...but I think the greatest charm of baseball is its continuing (though sadly diminishing) faith to its roots.

I think the DH and the wild cards, for example, are among the worst "innovations" (despite the Red Sox being the biggest beneficiary of the wild cards) in baseball.  There are others, of course, and players eschewing stirrups for pajama bottoms is hardly the worst offence....but I reckon the main reason players go for pajama bottoms is because they don't think stirrups look "cool".

I could only love Dustin Pedroia more if he wore stirrups....he used to, didn't he?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I miss those old brown and yellow Padres unis, the tealish-puke Mariners road unis, and revealed stirrups.

I might be one of the few that liked the old rainbow Astros unis, and I'm thrilled the A's have gone back to rotating white, green and yellow shirts like they did in the old days. Next I want the Mets to bring the shoulder stripe back, and the Phillies to use light blue road unis. Oh, and I want the Reds to bring the wider pants stripe back Like they had in 1990. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Big Time!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trying to keep the thread alive...this one brings back memories.

[/QUOTE]

You can play Stratomatic Baseball on line these days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I might be one of the few that liked the old rainbow Astros unis, and I'm thrilled the A's have gone back to rotating white, green and yellow shirts like they did in the old days. Next I want the Mets to bring the shoulder stripe back, and the Phillies to use light blue road unis. Oh, and I want the Reds to bring the wider pants stripe back Like they had in 1990. 

[ugh] Tongue Out Next you'll want the White Sox to bring back those heinous striped unis complete with shorts and the Red Sox to bring back the two-tone hats with the pull-over jerseys from the 70's.

Agree about The A's though. Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I miss the games not lasting three hours, let alone four.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Those were great along with the 3-D Baseball card in the Frosted Flakes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I miss the games not lasting three hours, let alone four.

[/QUOTE]

true but they didn't start until 7:30 back in the day

what i don't miss is us losing and nyy's winning - we completely turned that around and then some so i wouldn't trade it in for anything

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

... the Topps set, there was no sticker album for the Fleer stickers

OLD SCHOOL. There were alway 1-2 stickers you couldn't get. Never a star player. Someone like Steve McCatty or Ron Kittle. 

Sections
Shortcuts