Anybody remember the 1974 choke??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Anybody remember the 1974 choke??

This could be worse,LOL. I was 17 in the September of 1974 when they pulled the biggest Red Sox choke of our lifetime. (It was not 78 because they went 12-2 to tie) They completely fell apart and went 14-24 their last 38 games and went from 7 up on the O's and Yanks till 7 back on the last day. It was ugly. Tiant beat Blue on August 24th to go 7 up and then GAAAAAAAAAAG! And the O's went 28-6 in their last 34 games to go 91-71 and win the division by 2 over the Yanks. That comeback by the O's is never listed as one of the great comebacks of all time and should. This story was put off the pages of the Boston papers by a bigger story that September; The start of forced busing in Boston. Hopefully we can back in this year because this is the 2nd worst that I remember. We really stink right now.     Go Sox!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Anybody remember the 1974 choke??

well i wasnt born then so this would be the biggest choke job ive ever seen by the redsox...and the worst part is they are just playing dumb baseball, silly mistakes have done them in

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Anybody remember the 1974 choke??:
    [QUOTE]This could be worse,LOL. I was 17 in the September of 1974 when they pulled the biggest Red Sox choke of our lifetime. (It was not 78 because they went 12-2 to tie) They completely fell apart and went 14-24 their last 38 games and went from 7 up on the O's and Yanks till 7 back on the last day. It was ugly. Tiant beat Blue on August 24th to go 7 up and then GAAAAAAAAAAG! And the O's went 28-6 in their last 34 games to go 91-71 and win the division by 2 over the Yanks. That comeback by the O's is never listed as one of the great comebacks of all time and should. This story was put off the pages of the Boston papers by a bigger story that September; The start of forced busing in Boston. Hopefully we can back in this year because this is the 2nd worst that I remember. We really stink right now.     Go Sox!
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

I posted about this a week or so ago on another thread. I was 11 in 1974, and that year bothers me more than 1978. In 1974, the Sox regrouped, finished strong and won 99 games. And they had injury issues that year too. As much as not making the playoffs and Bucky Dent  and etc hurt, 1974 always hurt more because that was a total collapse, and I don't remember injuries being an issue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I remember it all too well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestTeamEvah!. Show BestTeamEvah!'s posts

Except that the 1974 team wasnt the best team evah!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: Anybody remember the 1974 choke??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Anybody remember the 1974 choke?? : I posted about this a week or so ago on another thread. I was 11 in 1974, and that year bothers me more than 1978. In 1974, the Sox regrouped, finished strong and won 99 games. And they had injury issues that year too. As much as not making the playoffs and Bucky Dent  and etc hurt, 1974 always hurt more because that was a total collapse, and I don't remember injuries being an issue.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Fisk got hurt and was done for the year in June and Rick Wise was out about the same, give or take. I don't think that had any impact. By Aug. 24th they had done well without them. Peter Gammons has said that this collapse was the start of pessimism and negativety in Red Sox Nation. Earl Weaver the next year even said "all we have to do is win so and so because you know Boston is going to collapse again." Luckily we held on in 75.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Actually , I don't remember the bad years so much.

I remember 1975 like it was yesterday. MVP Freddie Lynn, Denny Doyle (always liked that guy for some strange reason), Rico, the Rooster, Spaceman, Cecil Cooper, Rice getting injured and missing the playoffs, Tiant's run around the bases in game one of the Series. Rain postponing game 7. And , of course, the Bernie Carbo and Carlton Fisk homeruns.

I remember 1967 , through reading history and I had the 'Impossible Dream' vinyl LP ( I was alive , but very young) The Jose Tartabull throw from rightfield to home, Billy Rohr's almost no hitter, Lonborg's great season,Rico making great plays, Yastrzemski's catch, Yastrzemski's homers, Yastrzemski's clutch hits, Yastrzemski carrying the team on his back, Yastrzemski winning the triple crown, the must win games vs. Minnesota....where are you now Yaz? ... Fisk?...Freddie Lynn?...Boomer?...Reggie Smith?....we sure could use you and your "never say die" attitude.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Zilla, I'd take Nomar Garciaparra's rah-rah right now. Lifeless team, not much personality.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was 4 at the time, so not much of a memory there for me..But I do remember 78' like it was yesterday, even though I was only 8...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]Actually , I don't remember the bad years so much. I remember 1975 like it was yesterday. MVP Freddie Lynn, Denny Doyle (always liked that guy for some strange reason), Rico, the Rooster, Spaceman, Cecil Cooper, Rice getting injured and missing the playoffs, Tiant's run around the bases in game one of the Series. Rain postponing game 7. And , of course, the Bernie Carbo and Carlton Fisk homeruns. I remember 1967 , through reading history and I had the 'Impossible Dream' vinyl LP ( I was alive , but very young) The Jose Tartabull throw from rightfield to home, Billy Rohr's almost no hitter, Lonborg's great season,Rico making great plays, Yastrzemski's catch, Yastrzemski's homers, Yastrzemski's clutch hits, Yastrzemski carrying the team on his back, Yastrzemski winning the triple crown, the must win games vs. Minnesota....where are you now Yaz? ... Fisk?...Freddie Lynn?...Boomer?...Reggie Smith?....we sure could use you and your "never say die" attitude.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

1967  Tony C !!!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anybody remember the 1974 choke?? : Fisk got hurt and was done for the year in June and Rick Wise was out about the same, give or take. I don't think that had any impact. By Aug. 24th they had done well without them. Peter Gammons has said that this collapse was the start of pessimism and negativety in Red Sox Nation. Earl Weaver the next year even said "all we have to do is win so and so because you know Boston is going to collapse again." Luckily we held on in 75.

That's right, I forgot about Fisk. I hated Leron Lee for that. Wise, as I recall, wasn't any good all year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Anybody remember the 1974 choke??:
    [QUOTE]This could be worse,LOL. I was 17 in the September of 1974 when they pulled the biggest Red Sox choke of our lifetime. (It was not 78 because they went 12-2 to tie) They completely fell apart and went 14-24 their last 38 games and went from 7 up on the O's and Yanks till 7 back on the last day. It was ugly. Tiant beat Blue on August 24th to go 7 up and then GAAAAAAAAAAG! And the O's went 28-6 in their last 34 games to go 91-71 and win the division by 2 over the Yanks. That comeback by the O's is never listed as one of the great comebacks of all time and should. This story was put off the pages of the Boston papers by a bigger story that September; The start of forced busing in Boston. Hopefully we can back in this year because this is the 2nd worst that I remember. We really stink right now.     Go Sox!

While the 1978 did win 99 games and cam back to force game 163, they did start September 3-13....