Anybody Still Want Beltran and McCann?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Anybody Still Want Beltran and McCann?

Bogie, that was a certainty. He made it clear from the get go that he had to have AGON. For about 3 months, it looked like the signing of the century too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh I thought this was about Adrian, wrong Beltran, but I wouldn't mind Adrian every year at 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, OK...Glad you caught that.  Had we kept Beltre at 3b we never would had started the Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford years......that was the beginning of the end for young Theo.

[/QUOTE]

Theo was in love; nothing short of death would have stopped Theo from acquiring his one true love, A-GONE.

[/QUOTE]

90% of this board was madly in love with AGon as well.

At least getting AGon allowed us to dump CC & Beckett.

The big regret, of course, is losing cost-controlled Rizzo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The media is surprised that McCann is so far a flop; someone said on a talk show that NONE of us saw this coming; when I checked his baseball card right after his signing, I noticed an alarming trend downward, and thought as a result it was a mistake, an overreaction for flubbing on Martin, who would have been much cheaper; they were in disagreement with Martin by a smidge the previous year, then Stewart was an offensive disaster .. QED

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh I thought this was about Adrian, wrong Beltran, but I wouldn't mind Adrian every year at 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, OK...Glad you caught that.  Had we kept Beltre at 3b we never would had started the Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford years......that was the beginning of the end for young Theo.

[/QUOTE]

Theo was in love; nothing short of death would have stopped Theo from acquiring his one true love, A-GONE.

[/QUOTE]

90% of this board was madly in love with AGon as well.

At least getting AGon allowed us to dump CC & Beckett.

The big regret, of course, is losing cost-controlled Rizzo.

[/QUOTE]

He lived up to the billing his 1st yr, at least while healthy; I suspect he never got over his injuries; not that he sucks now, but he's not quite the monster he was in SD; in a pitcher's park, no less

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Here is the thing with McCann't.  He does not catch every day.  He is getting paid huge money (3rd biggest contract for a catcher I believe ever) and he may not ever catch 100 games in any one season ever again.  Plus his #'s are down right awful for a guy who is supposed to be a #4 or #5 hitter.  Lloyd Dobler - are you hearing that or do you need me to repeat it for you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was dead set against signing McCann from the start.

He has been in decline.

He's not great defensively.

He cost way too much.

He wanted way too many years.

We have some good catching prospects that may be ready soon.

That's 5 good reasons right there.

I didn't expect him to start out this poorly, but it does not surprise me at all.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Here is the thing with McCann't.  He does not catch every day.  He is getting paid huge money (3rd biggest contract for a catcher I believe ever) and he may not ever catch 100 games in any one season ever again.  Plus his #'s are down right awful for a guy who is supposed to be a #4 or #5 hitter.  Lloyd Dobler - are you hearing that or do you need me to repeat it for you?

[/QUOTE]

Yes McCann has caught over a 100 games in every season except last and is on pace to catch 133 this year. Ivan Rodrigues is the all time leader for Games caught and only caught more than that 5 times and never more than 141.  If a catcher can only catch 100 games he is considered full time, as catchers get much more time off than any position player.  Yet somehow this all translates into a guy who will never catch 100 games again......do you just pull this stuff out of your Azz???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was dead set against signing McCann from the start.

He has been in decline.

He's not great defensively.

He cost way too much.

He wanted way too many years.

We have some good catching prospects that may be ready soon.

That's 5 good reasons right there.

I didn't expect him to start out this poorly, but it does not surprise me at all.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

IMO he's actually pretty good defensively, and a good handler of pitchers ... but big deal; so was Martin and Stewart

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a Cashman signing .. what did U expect?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes McCann has caught over a 100 games in every season except last and is on pace to catch 133 this year. Ivan Rodrigues is the all time leader for Games caught and only caught more than that 5 times and never more than 141.  If a catcher can only catch 100 games he is considered full time, as catchers get much more time off than any position player.  Yet somehow this all translates into a guy who will never catch 100 games again......do you just pull this stuff out of your Azz???

[/QUOTE]

Except McCann is damaged goods apparently

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anybody Still Want Beltran and McCann?

I do

I think most knowledgeable fans expect them to do better as the yr goes on

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you never know.

My real point, which I didn't make, was that in the short run, neither player would have helped the Sox much more than the guys they have. The Sox likely still would be around where they were and fans would be btching about those moves.

In the long run, of course it could be a different story. Of course, in the long run, underachieving Sox players could start to come on too.

[/QUOTE]

points taken roy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a Cashman signing .. what did U expect?

[/QUOTE]

absolutely nothing less.  it's pretty much the only thing he knows how to do.  to his credit, at least McCann't doesn't have an opt out clause.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he doe's

thanks hughe

the coward has me & most nyyfans on ignore

so he can just ''pull stuff out of .......''

can't believe they R trying to move the rockcats to htfd

NBS is a  fine stadium/experience

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mccann is a very good player.... Beltran should have been brought here 4 years ago.... no way I sign Beltran last winter, no way.

[/QUOTE]

That may be, but I love U more than kim

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

beltran I don’t think many of us wanted, mccan some of us for sure. I think the guys we missed on were Jose Abreu (who could have been our long term 1B), Choo and Tanaka. Im not saying sign all 3, but 2 of 3 for sure would have made a big difference. Just think if we had tanaka in the rotation pitching behind lester and abreu mashing homers instead of napoli sitting on the DL and batting .260 with more k’s than hits. Or we could have signed choo who has been one of if the best leadoff hitters in the mlb this year. We had chances to improve, we chose not to take them and instead bank on guys like bradley,middlebrooks and doubront. Oh I can’t forget the gomes/nava platoon. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

"and abreu mashing homers instead of napoli sitting on the DL and batting .260 with more k’s than hits"

...no one tell him that Abreu just came off the DL, is hitting .260, and has more K's than hits...