Anybody worried about Middlebrooks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Anybody worried about Middlebrooks?

Discuss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Anybody worried about Middlebrooks?

Not so much.  His tendency to chase pitches was exposed last year.  I think this is just who he is as a hitter.  He is going to K a ton.  But he is also going to tear the cover off the ball.  I expect him to go through spells where he will struggle to make any kind of contact.  And then spells where he looks like Roy Hobbs.  Hopefully, more big league experience will help him with his pitch recognition, but this may be who he is.

On another note, I am digging on his great improvement at third base.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I did predict for Middlebrooks to go through a Sophmore slump this year.  Well to be honest I didn't predict, but I did say to "not be surprised" if he does.  Long term I think we saw what kinda player Will Middlebrooks was last year,  He may struggle and go through some adversity this year.  I think people always expect players to hit the ground running but often stars have a bad first and/or second season.

He will be ok, but we are probably expecting too much from him this year.  This lineup needs Ortiz back and at least one more highly productive year form him .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Agree 100% hugh.  I also noted in the offseason that I didnt want to overrely on Middlebrooks.  This is part of the reason why I pushed so hard for Naps.  The sophmore slump is a very real thing.

I think expecting anything above .270, 25 HR is optimistic.  Not unreasonable, but optimistic.

We are going to need another middle of the order bat at some point this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not at all. first full year, teams have a book oin him, and he just needs to make the adjustments needed. No worries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Agree 100% hugh.  I also noted in the offseason that I didnt want to overrely on Middlebrooks.  This is part of the reason why I pushed so hard for Naps.  The sophmore slump is a very real thing.

I think expecting anything above .270, 25 HR is optimistic.  Not unreasonable, but optimistic.

We are going to need another middle of the order bat at some point this season.

Yup...that pretty much sums it up.  I wouldn't expect anything higher than that at all.  But if he does make the adjustments and meets expectations I wouldn't be surprised either. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:

Discuss.

Most times when you start a thread you also offer your opinion??????

It is early and he as stated is probably a 6th/7th position hitter 270/25.90

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Discuss.

Most times when you start a thread you also offer your opinion??????

Maybe he meant disgust not discuss.

LOL Surprised

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Not so much.  His tendency to chase pitches was exposed last year.  I think this is just who he is as a hitter.  He is going to K a ton.  But he is also going to tear the cover off the ball.  I expect him to go through spells where he will struggle to make any kind of contact.  And then spells where he looks like Roy Hobbs.  Hopefully, more big league experience will help him with his pitch recognition, but this may be who he is.

On another note, I am digging on his great improvement at third base.

Agree. He is a very streaky hitter so far. Just have to hope there are more and longer hot streaks than cold streaks. I was wondering how he would perform for an entire season. It remains to be seen if he can consistently provide the power hitting that he has shown at times. I think consistency may be an ongoing problem for him. Don't think he will ever be the high OBP hitter that Youk was in his prime. We'll see how much patience the Boston fans and management will have with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Will Middlebrooks has exceeded defensive expectations with his stellar early-season UZR/150:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B#fielding

... while at the plate posting a .200/.241/.480/.721 line with a strikeout rate of 29.6% and a walk rate of 5.6%:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/middlwi01.shtml

Given the small sample size, I expect a regression on each end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

Discuss.

he's been bad for a little over a week, time to get hot for a couple of weeks. afraid he could be a roller coaster player for a few years

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Discuss.

Sounds like a demand. 

How 'bout NO. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

why? is he missing?

his offense is missing..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Middlebrooks is fine..actually, more than fine.

He has power who has his share of strikeouts...and, like everyone else, streaks. 

Have some people already forgot his three zingers in Toronto?  It wasn't that long ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Middlebrooks is fine....actually, better than fine.

He has power and has his share of strikeouts....and streaks.

Have a lot of people already forgot his three homers in Toronto?  It wasn't that long ago.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

nO WORRY AT ALL !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Sorry for the redundant post...sending a message here sometimes can be an adventure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Sure am.  But the season is young.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Discuss.

Why do trolls always start threads here? Why are are all new threads negative? I am serious. So much to be happy about about right now but then all new threads are negative. Why is that?

there is a very legitimate baseball discussion going on here. if you have nothing to add to it then maybe you should ind another thread to troll..

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.