Anyone Else Loving Today's Moves?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Anyone Else Loving Today's Moves?

Lester was gone anyway.. Cespedes in return is great.

I didn't like Gomes, so amen he's gone.

Lackey would've been nice to keep, but getting Craig back is nice.

Stephen Drew gone = yes. Boegy back to SS.

The offensive lineup next season looks very nice, still need a CF

and they need to pay some pitchers this offseason, big time

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: Anyone Else Loving Today's Moves?

I like all the moves.

But then its more fun to be a crybaby and whine about how the Sox are the worst sports team in history now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I like the moves and I think Cherington is aggressive at the winter meetings. Once those meetings are over everyone can assess the 2015 Sox lineup. Now until the end of the season it is time to see what you have in prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

i love it the fo gets a bplus for there work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

The Sox finally get to see what they have in the rotation.  There is no substitute for real life experience.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

What Rotation?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ces plays CF better than any other position and has a terrific arm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I gotta admit to being extremely impressed with the moves today. I think Ben did a really good job and it bodes well for our future. I'd like to see the ownership group step up to the plate now and try to extend Cespedes and open their wallets for next season. Today was a good day!

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

I like the moves for most part---- I love the moves if they can sign Lester back in the November.

My concern is where does Craig play-- RF?  please not at Fenway.  I would prefer to have him play left and Cespedes in RF.  They need to move Victorino in August (I think he will get thru waivers because of his Salary).

Getting rid of Drew was great--- Let Xander play SS and give Middlebrooks the rest of this season to make or break his career with the Sox.

Trading Carp would have been the right thing to do-- here's hoping that he can still be moved in August.

Formerly JYASO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Cespedes  Is a free agent in 2016... Do we  trade him before deadline next year.Here we go again................

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Pitching was a strength before the moves, now it's a weakness.  We have no short stop (Xbo doesn't cut it as infielder let alone a SS), Middlebrooks will get playing time (that's a minus) and we have a rh power hitter in exchange.  Hard to celebrate going from a strong pitching staff to a weak one in exchange for a weakened defense and the addition of one power hitter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pitching was a strength before the moves, now it's a weakness.  We have no short stop (Xbo doesn't cut it as infielder let alone a SS), Middlebrooks will get playing time (that's a minus) and we have a rh power hitter in exchange.  Hard to celebrate going from a strong pitching staff to a weak one in exchange for a weakened defense and the addition of one power hitter.

[/QUOTE]  thinking the same thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Except for Drew being gone and Xander back at SS, I have no complaints about today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I like the moves. 

But I expect the Sox to be a $160-170 million payroll team, not the Kansas City Royals. 

It's naive to think Lester could be re-signed after that got botched, but I'm expecting the Sox to open their wallets for at least one ace to lead their staff. 

If they do that, this all starts to make some sense. 

If they don't, then it's not clear to me what the plan is. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

and the two hitters we got are in the .250-.260 ish range. Kelly is a good young pitcher, but Craig is a crap shoot, and Cespedes has only hit 17 hr folks. Granted, he might hit more at Fenway, but we will see. But altogether, I don't think they were BAD moves, I just hate doing business with St. Louis, and don't think Cespedes is the final answer for the offense. Furthermore, if Crag goes to right, what about IVC? And if he goes to first, what about Napoli? That part I don't get.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]It was a very worthy day of TRANSFORMATION  !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I wouldn't say that I love the moves, but what I like about them is that they show that the FO is serious about contending next year.   These moves don't make sense otherwise.

One of our biggest holes was filled - a right handed power bat.  Instead of trying to fill this need in the offseason, it was filled now.  That's a plus.

Some of these guys might be flipped for other players, but the way I see it, as of now, the only position that is not set for 2015 is one of either SS or 3B, depending on where Bogaerts plays. 

The Sox have positioned themselves well to acquire the veteran starting pitching needed to contend next season.  I didn't think it would be possible if Lester were dealt, but now I think it is.

We'll have to wait to see how the rest of this plays out, but I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be once Lester got dealt.   And I may be in the minority, but I haven't ruled out Lester being re-signed either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And PS, St. Louis never gets rid of players with tread on their tires. Beware. They let Pujols go, don't forget that, and he's been on the DL more than the field since. I hope Craig pans out, but I don't like it that he's a Cardinal, and am not convinced he won't be on the DL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I gotta admit to being extremely impressed with the moves today. I think Ben did a really good job and it bodes well for our future. I'd like to see the ownership group step up to the plate now and try to extend Cespedes and open their wallets for next season. Today was a good day!

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If Lester had to go, I love getting Cespedes, IMO may be the best fit to a ball park and have the best personal stat increase since Beltre.

I don't get Lackey unless Kelly develops into a solid starter.  Could have been a good guy to anchor the young 2015 staff with. Craig?  I was sort of hoping him for Peavy.  He'll do better than in St Louis. 

Bogaerts will round back into form. So if Bradley keeps on improving, and maybe they sign the other Cuban...it may be a great offense and not a bad defense. 

...Now they have to get that Ace! I have confidence the other staff members will fall in if they have that #1. I haven't given up on Clay as a #2-3. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that I love the moves, but what I like about them is that they show that the FO is serious about contending next year.   These moves don't make sense otherwise.

One of our biggest holes was filled - a right handed power bat.  Instead of trying to fill this need in the offseason, it was filled now.  That's a plus.

Some of these guys might be flipped for other players, but the way I see it, as of now, the only position that is not set for 2015 is one of either SS or 3B, depending on where Bogaerts plays. 

The Sox have positioned themselves well to acquire the veteran starting pitching needed to contend next season.  I didn't think it would be possible if Lester were dealt, but now I think it is.

We'll have to wait to see how the rest of this plays out, but I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be once Lester got dealt.   And I may be in the minority, but I haven't ruled out Lester being re-signed either.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

1-I thought we got hosed.

2-When Kimmi and I disagree, Kimmi is always right.  It's like 100%

3-I think one year of Cespedes is too little for Lester, but no doubt he sloys in well at the 4/5.

4-I don't care for Craig or Kelly, but both have had better years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

i like the moves cuz that way we can all see if Bogarets can go back to SS and Middy at 3b if he can stay healthy along with newly players.  Now Ben C can get the idea of what they can do for the rest of the season.  If Ben think Boggie cant play SS, then of course, Ben can either move Boggie  back at 3b, and try to trade Middy.  Then get a new SS via free agency or via trade.  Really I am tire of seeing so many different SS.  Time to get a permanent one.  Tulo of Colorado may be an ideal guy.  And I know we have one too may OF, but that is ok cuz Ben C can get the idea who play LF, CF and RF for the next season since all OF's that they have are all under the contract for the next season.  OF will be the easiest part of making the plan for next season. 

Pitching is going to be the hardest part to fix.  But since Boston got plently money to spend, they can try to get someone via trade or via free agency.  

But like I said, right now they got so many guys including youth to play with for the rest of the season.  Then we can all see who stays and who goes!!

I think I will have more fun watching them now then I watched them all year in the past four months!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from august271985. Show august271985's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the moves. 

But I expect the Sox to be a $160-170 million payroll team, not the Kansas City Royals. 

It's naive to think Lester could be re-signed after that got botched, but I'm expecting the Sox to open their wallets for at least one ace to lead their staff. 

If they do that, this all starts to make some sense. 

If they don't, then it's not clear to me what the plan is. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. These moves today are only good in the context of securing an ace (or something close) during the winter. What troubles me is if the FO was not willing to pay Lester market value in spring training, why would they pay someone like Scherzer 6/$160m. Henry has basically told us what their new operating strategy is, and we can see how they tried to implement that strategy at the end of '12 and '13. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Price allows Detroit to let Max Scherzer walk..... so both he and Lester will be on the market this winter.

[/QUOTE]

And probably weraing pin stripes or Dodgers blue

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And PS, St. Louis never gets rid of players with tread on their tires. Beware. They let Pujols go, don't forget that, and he's been on the DL more than the field since. I hope Craig pans out, but I don't like it that he's a Cardinal, and am not convinced he won't be on the DL.

[/QUOTE]

He can keep Victorino company.

Sections
Shortcuts