Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?

In Response to Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?:
    so can anyone please explain to me why we did not sign this guy? he has 6 homers and 15 rbi's and is hitting .333. which are better offensive numbers than anyone on our team. yet theo decided to go with salty and varitek over him? thanks theo for yet again failing to get us a quality starting catcher. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

They did try to sign him but the Yankees offered him more money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think Salty is slow starting, but I still have the feeling his numbers will be respectable at year's end if he stays healthy. Having Martin would be nice, but I don't think he'll keep hitting at this pace all year any more than I believe Bartolo Colon will keep pitching well. Something will happen......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Redsoxpride - One more thing. He stunk last year.  I love your 20/20 hindsight.  It's easy to ask why after the fact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I coveted Martin back in December.....oh well we know Salty will turn it around, oh wait actually we don't know if he will, well we do know Theo will pull the trigger on something big if Salty is really bad....wait actually we don't know that either...thats just what I'm guessing. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?:
    I coveted Martin back in December.....oh well we know Salty will turn it around, oh wait actually we don't know if he will, well we do know Theo will pull the trigger on something big if Salty is really bad....wait actually we don't know that either...thats just what I'm guessing. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I thought he fit perfectly here as well.

But the OP looking up his April stats is silly.  Once again SSS has struck the RSN.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

so can anyone please explain to me why we did not sign this guy? he has 6 homers and 15 rbi's and is hitting .333. which are better offensive numbers than anyone on our team. yet theo decided to go with salty and varitek over him? thanks theo for yet again failing to get us a quality starting catcher. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Can anyone explain to me why I didn't buy Microsoft stock when it was issued. Damn, I sure wish that I had the benefit of 20-20 hindsight in buying stocks. Why do you always start such idiotic threads? DUMB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok its not 20/20 hindsight when i said we should sign him months ago when he was an fa. Before he signed with the yankees i said we should sign him as i was not and am still not convinced salty can be a reliable starter in the majors. considering that he was a guy that theo has coveted in the past i was surprised that he did not make more of an effort to sign him. he was a perfect low risk high reward signing. but theo decided that he would go all in on salty. like usual theo fails when it comes to free agent signings. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

there is nothing trolling related about this thread. its the truth. theo took a huge risk by going with salty who is unproven in every regard and keeping tek as his back up who cannot play full time if need be. martin has a track record and has put up some good offensive numbers in the past and is pretty good defensively. obviously no one predicted he would be doing as good as he is but even before the season i was in favor of signing martin. he did not want very much money and was a low risk high reward signing which is usually a fan of. apparently after all his recent failures in that department he decided not to take a chance on martin and go with an unproven guy in salty and a 39 yr old who can only play part time. not a very good strategy. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

and you think the better strategy would be to put all the money on a guy who hasn't played over half a season of baseball in three years?  Marin was 50/50 on coming back.  For the record, I was hoping we got him but was and still am fine with what we have now.  Salty, at least, is a jab at the future while Martin will probably be a one year stop gap.  Lets see what he's doing in a month and if he's not on the DL before whining about Tek and Salty. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

why would martin have been a 1 year stop gap? He is like 28 or 29 years old. he would have been the catcher of the future. sure he is not quite as young as salty but at salty's age he was putting up good numbers. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by redsoxpride34

First of all, Martin's hot now and in no way will end the season with his BA as high or hs HR power as potent.  He hit only 6 HRs last year.  Of course, he is in HR Hurricane Alley - uh - Yanqui Stadium.

First of all, the second time through, DON'T CRY BABIES LIKE YOU EVER GET TIRED OF SECOND GUESSING AND CALLING OUT THEO AS A FAILURE?

A.  He did try to sign Martin.  Ooops.  Who was it that got him?  Duh.

B.  THEO FAILED MISERABLY .... ALL HE DID WAS

1.  TRADE 4 PROSPECTS FOR A FUTURE HOF 1BMAN IN HIS ABSOLUTE PRIME.   That would be Adrian Gonzalez ... just so you might have the info.

2.  Signed the top position FA available and would help our needs in 2010 ... Carl Crawford. 

3.  Signed Jenks, Wheeler and others to strengthen the pen ...

HOW IN THE NAME OF COMMON SENSE (I know, that doesn't apply here...) DID THEO FAIL?????

IT'S RED SOX "FANS" LIKE YOU THAT IRRITATE ME A THOUSAND TIMES MORE THAN ANY YANQUI TROLL EVER DID. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?

redsoxpride34, other than bobby

I think they all agree with that

they just aren't very good at it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Russell Martin is not going to continue to hit .333 and Jed Lowrie is not going to always be hitting .450

A great signing by the Yankees.  It is what it is.  Life goes on. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Nope salty will be fine.

Posted by redsoxpride34

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

Posted by redsoxpride34

Not blaiming Theo for this.  I've been a fan of Martin's (LA is my NL team) and he was the most established option out there.  I had been hoping they went after him in season last year.  He had played with injury and pretty much all the time for the Dodgers.  His past couple seasons reflected that and that is what fans saw, a beat up catcher in his late 20's.  However, from what I read he preferred to sign with New York. So what are you going to do, overpay for a guy who maybe doesn't want to be in Boston and will need a rebound season anyway? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

"Sorry you wrong, Martin decided to play for the Yankees not the RS, The RS went after him with full force."

This is blatantly false. Tehe RS could have easily signed Martin if they wanted him.
    My alter ego and I were calling for this acquisition shortly after Theo let Vmart walk away, and as soon as Martin beacame available.
    Theo Epstein had no intention of signing Martin or any other catcher for that matter. He's wanted Saltalamacchia for a couple of years, and the writing was on the wall as soon as they got him last summer.
    You can chalk this up to pig-headedness and inflexibility.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Jim, I think we have to acknowledge that Martin pulled a Teixeira on us - just leveraged the Red Sox to drive up the price that the Yankees would pay. So it goes, eh?

But the Red Sox eventually got A-Gon - Tex's equal or better, especially for  Fenway.  Ya can never tell - maybe next year, Exposito appears and is ready. Or Theo trades for Ryan Doumit.  Anything is possible.  

More importantly, some people just don't remember that there is no crying in baseball, especially in the case of free agents that got away.  Or never wanted to come to Boston in the first place.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Would of, could of, should of, sh*t.

Why ask these questions at all?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Jim, I think we have to acknowledge that Martin pulled a Teixeira on us - just leveraged the Red Sox to drive up the price that the Yankees would pay. So it goes, eh? But the Red Sox eventually got A-Gon - Tex's equal or better, especially for  Fenway.  Ya can never tell - maybe next year, Exposito appears and is ready. Or Theo trades for Ryan Doumit.  Anything is possible.   More importantly, some people just don't remember that there is no crying in baseball, especially in the case of free agents that got away.  Or never wanted to come to Boston in the first place.  
    Posted by summerof67

Exactly.  That's why, during the off season, after I heard Martin signed with the Yanks, I never gave it another thought.  it is wasted energy.  To rehash it now because the guy is playing well does not change anything.  If he struggled, which he will, the Yanks will deal with it and find offense elsewhere.  That is the attitude the Sox must take.  The fans I can not account for.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

salty needs more than a month to prove his worth   patience my friend...but Martin is destroying the ball in NY
    Posted by georom4

JS is in way over his head. He can't handle the pressure at this level, let alone a big-market team like Boston, and appears lost behind the plate.
    He is nothing more than a career minor league catcher, and that's where he belongs.

Sections
Shortcuts