Anyone notice tonight's ridiculous strike zone?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Anyone notice tonight's ridiculous strike zone?

Definitely Rapuano's fault. The RS have been victims of poor umpiring all year. Every loss can be attributed to one or more bad calls by the umpire. None of the players or manager can be held accountable and I think that MLB should start fining these guys when they make a bad call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone notice tonight's ridiculous strike zone?:
    [QUOTE]Definitely Rapuano's fault. The RS have been victims of poor umpiring all year. Every loss can be attributed to one or more bad calls by the umpire. None of the players or manager can be held accountable and I think that MLB should start fining these guys when they make a bad call.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Well then; based on that we can say their record so far would be 134-0! 

It's unfortunate the RS never get a call go their way; who would have thought?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone notice tonight's ridiculous strike zone? : Mo has a bigger strike zone than anyone in baseball. As great as he is his success now stems fom him getting the calls. Shame to show a good eye and get rung up on junk calls.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE] granted the ump was wildly inconsistent..but that statement is total BS....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If you say the umpiring stunk it doesn't necessarily mean you're trying to blame that for losing.  So let me be clear:

1) The Yankees deserved the win.
    2) The home plate ump stunk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The biggest issue last night was there was no pattern to the K Zone. There was a lot drama about the K Zone in Bedard's last road start but that tiny zone stayed the same for all pitchers the whole game.

Forget RS pitcher for a minute. Sabathia was squeezed something awful on the outer corner and Riveria was getting the strike call a foot off of the corner.

The people who play the game accept that the strike zone is a human interpretation that may vary ump to ump, game to game. What drives them nuts is when it isn't the same interpretation throughout a game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]If you say the umpiring stunk it doesn't necessarily mean you're trying to blame that for losing.  So let me be clear: 1) The Yankees deserved the win. 2) The home plate ump stunk.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

there was a lot of STINK on the field last night, and it all wasn't just coming from the HP umpire.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Games like this will happen until baseball finally realizes that this is the high tech age and cameras should be used to overrule bad umpiring calls.  The ball / strike frame we see on TV should be used to judge correct or incorrect calls.
    It won't cause umpires to lose their jobs but it would make them do their job better.
    It won't delay games if a red & green light is flashed from a center field camera with red being an incorrect call and a green light indicates a correct call.

Selig is still in the Stone Age so it won't happen while he's Commissioner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's actually pretty funny that the bad ball and strike calls are revealed in their full, indisputable glory on MLB's very own Gameday service.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I wouldn't blame the ump for the Sox losing, but I totally blame him for Lowry's strikeout.  Thing is, he must have known the second strike was way outside.  But he followed it up with an equally bad call on the third strike, which tells me he was too arrogant to let people know that he knew, if you get my drift.

I'd love them to show the Amica strike zone in the centerfield screen every now and then.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE] I'd love them to show the Amica strike zone in the centerfield screen every now and then.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

That's not going to happen, but if it does the Sox had better outlaw fans carrying boiling tar and feathers into the game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Games like this will happen until baseball finally realizes that this is the high tech age and cameras should be used to overrule bad umpiring calls.  The ball / strike frame we see on TV should be used to judge correct or incorrect calls. It won't cause umpires to lose their jobs but it would make them do their job better. It won't delay games if a red & green light is flashed from a center field camera with red being an incorrect call and a green light indicates a correct call. Selig is still in the Stone Age so it won't happen while he's Commissioner.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

Incorrect; you would need a 3 dimensional strike zone tool to do this, one that shows the trajectory of the pitch as it traverses the strike zone sphere, and even those aren't foolproof.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone notice tonight's ridiculous strike zone? : salty is never gonna remind anyone of fisk or bench; he is what he is. an average catcher in a league where there is a short supply of good-hitting catchers. considering the options, the SOX are lucky to have him. what about a-gon's 3 k's? how were they any better than salty's?
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]
    I did not see any of Agons at bat - was only able to watch 1 inninng and that is the at bat I saw - If the pitcher threw him anything else but the ball in the dirt he should have been pulled from the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]doesn't excuse the lame swings by gonzo and salty on the same bad pitches.you'd think they would smarten up after 1 or 2 ab,but they kept swinging at the same bad pitches
    Posted by udontnojack[/QUOTE]

udontknowjack

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone notice tonight's ridiculous strike zone? : granted the ump was wildly inconsistent..but that statement is total BS....
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE  He is still great but he knows he doesnt have to throw strikes to get people out. As a hitter you either have to swing or walk away pissed like Lowrie was. The game was decided by the Redsox inablity to bring runners in. CC is very hittable for the Redsox and his fate could have been worse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]If you say the umpiring stunk it doesn't necessarily mean you're trying to blame that for losing.  So let me be clear: 1) The Yankees deserved the win. 2) The home plate ump stunk.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hey HFX,

I concur...the reality is that the strikezone last night was incoinsistent to say the least...Lowrie v Rivera was perhaps the worst I've seen since the umpiring of Fernando Valenzuala's no hitter on ESPN years ago...when all the catcher needed to do was catch the ball and it was a strike...

Salty's K vs Logan had nothing to do with the strike zone it was a hitter being impatient and forgetting rule #1 when hitting with the bases loaded (Which is all the presures is on the pitcher, cause the he has to throw strikes)...Ditto all three of Gonzalez at bats vs Sabathia, who hasn't exactly shown that he can hit CC so far this year...

We had our chances and blue certainly didn't help, but for as many balls off the plate that he called strikes he missed as many at the knees that should've been called...a bad day at the office...

MO does get his share of calls, moreso the high strike and his back door cutter if his catcher does a good job framing, but the last two strikes to lowrie would've hit Pedrioa in the head they were that far off the plate...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The home plate umpiring stunk last night, but that shouldn't come as a surprise cause it's been that way all season long. I watched the KC and Texas feeds last week where the strike zone was superimposed on the scene onevery pitch and it was the same thing. Hey, we're in the 21st century now and it's clear that the umpiring has been awful. Isn't it time to make some changes to try to get things right? Tennis used to have big time problems over bad calls but that's been pretty much eliminated. Time to do the same for baseball!