Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

Good afternoon to my good friends on Red Sox:On the front burner.
    With my Yankees defeating the Reds this afternoon, the Yankees are tied in the loss column with your Sox and only 1/2 games out. With an inferior Yankees' pitching staff and aging ball players, are you looking over your shoulder?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

Nah, frankie, according to many members of the red flops nation, the sawx players should be getting fitted for their WS rings today if the game gets rained out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    Good afternoon to my good friends on Red Sox:On the front burner. With my Yankees defeating the Reds this afternoon, the Yankees are tied in the loss column with your Sox and only 1/2 games out. With an inferior Yankees' pitching staff and aging ball players, are you looking over your shoulder?
    Posted by FRNYYGL

Nothing unexpected except for the life of me I have no idea why Colon and especially Garcia can't be hit.  The Yankees always find unexpected help like we do so it should be a good race.  I do feel the Yankees bull pen is better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good for the Yankees.  Wouldn't it be a shame if, after the Sox spotting them a huge lead early in April, they ended up settling for the wild card or worse?

I've never been a Yankee hater because they have been the standard for MLB and are certainly great competition for the Sox.  A big salary budget only means the franchise is reinvesting in itself--good business.   

That said, it's funny how the Yankee fans show up only when things seem to be going well for the Bronx Bombers, but disappear when they aren't. 

The simple fact is that these two teams have the best offenses/hitting in MLB and decent if not great pitching despite trips to the DL by starters.  Both teams have better records than all other AL teams.  Both win on the road and at home. 

The aging thing is a mixed bag for both teams.  Ortiz at 35 is having a great year, but Drew, 2 days younger, is crashing and burning.  Jeter and Rodriguez seem to be slipping, but who knows?  Posada, now a DH, is in my judgment less useful to the Yankees than Varitek, still catching 2 of 5 games, is to the Sox.  Wakefield, older than dirt, is looking downright ageless, but Cameron is definitely struggling.  

I think the Sox 1-5 hitters are better than the Yankees 1-5, amazing as that sounds, but think the Yankees do more with 6-9.  I give the Yankees the edge in the bullpen, and can't decide who has the better starters.  We should, but the results say different.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Max,
    The Yanks have been nothing but solid all season. They've played .600+ ball since Opening Day and haven't wavered. Big offense, excellent starting pitching, and shutdown bullpen. It's the Sox who faltered out of the gate and needed to scramble to get back to even with the Yanks which puts us where we are now. And the Yanks have 8 key guys DL'd with little to no negative effect--Jeter, Feliciano, Joba, Chavez, Colon, Hughes, Soriano, Marte--with 6 of them almost  ready to come back.

Sox don't need to worry about them. They just have to keep winning because the Yanks show no signs of letting up.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I really like those rearview mirrors because they reflect reality since John Henry and company took over the Sox and brought in Francona.  Since then, the Yankees have been good, but the Sox better. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In answer to the OP, no. I respect them, expect them to be there all year and a major hurdle. But I don't ride any kind of an emotional roller coaster when they are winning or losing.

I watch the RS and really don't watch the scoreboard until August.

Just my take.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Yankees will fade, finish third behind the Sox and Rays, and miss the post-season.  Despite the early results, the Yankees do not have the pitching to contend, and it will catch up with them.  Brian Gordon pitches tonight.  He's 32 years old, was drafted as an outfielder and has pitched 9 1/3 innings in his career.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    Good afternoon to my good friends on Red Sox:On the front burner. With my Yankees defeating the Reds this afternoon, the Yankees are tied in the loss column with your Sox and only 1/2 games out. With an inferior Yankees' pitching staff and aging ball players, are you looking over your shoulder?
    Posted by FRNYYGL

Nope, not unless it was announced the season has been shortened to this week while I was getting wasted at the bar. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

slomag, I don't see the Yankees fading far enough for the Rays to catch them.  Their hitting has been good all year and their pitching way better than expected, especially with the injuries. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

This is just part of the typical Red Sox-yankem season. Ebb and flow. We are not going away and you know it, just like I know the yankems aren't.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    The Yankees will fade, finish third behind the Sox and Rays, and miss the post-season.  Despite the early results, the Yankees do not have the pitching to contend, and it will catch up with them.  Brian Gordon pitches tonight.  He's 32 years old, was drafted as an outfielder and has pitched 9 1/3 innings in his career.
    Posted by slomag

I hope that you are right about them fading.  As far as Brian Gordon...he can't be any worse than Lackey.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Yanks can do a lot worse than CC, AJ, Colon, Nova, Garcia, and Hughes who's throwing mid-90's again. A little surprising but the numbers speak for themselves. Hoping they fade is not much of a business plan. And then there's always the pitcher to be named later.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    This is just part of the typical Red Sox-yankem season. Ebb and flow. We are not going away and you know it, just like I know the yankems aren't.

Posted by sindarin-erebor

The Yanks could be up 10 games with 10 to go and slomag would still say the same thing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Posted by slomag

Wishful thinking, and no surprise. For starters, check out Gordon's AAA #s this yr; they're obscene, and in a good way. (Here's guessing you already did.) Also, with 8 of their original 25 men currently disabled (and 5 pitchers), the Yankees are only 1/2 game behind the red-hot RS, and despite their suspect pitching, with a better team ERA than their AL East counterparts; expect to see them in the post season.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I hope we face the yanks in the playoffs. It would be nice to have a tune up series before the world series.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

bp, I half to disagree with you respectfully, I don't believe the yanks would be much of a tune up for us, we need to face a little better competition before the world series.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

bp, I half to disagree with you respectfully, I don't believe the yanks would be much of a tune up for us, we need to face a little better competition before the world series.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it

I think the Heat and their fans were just as confident

• You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

the heat don't have the qualify players like the sox

• You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I hope we face the yanks in the playoffs. It would be nice to have a tune up series before the world series.
    Posted by bald-predictions

It's good to be confident; a fan shouldn't think any other way, and with a loaded team like the RS, it's warranted.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Worried, nah...way too much baseball left to play and last I checked they don't give you a trophy, nor an invite to the post season for being in 1st place on June 22nd.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Wishful thinking, and no surprise. For starters, check out Gordon's AAA #s this yr; they're obscene, and in a good way. (Here's guessing you already did.) Also, with 8 of their original 25 men currently disabled (and 5 pitchers), the Yankees are only 1/2 game behind the red-hot RS, and despite their suspect pitching, with a better team ERA than their AL East counterparts; expect to see them in the post season.
    Posted by nhsteven

The man is 32 - he should be dominating the IL.  You know who else is dominating the IL?  Hideki Okajima, Scott Atchison & until recently Brandon Duckworth.  I wouldn't do cartwheels having any of them in my rotation.

At the end of the day, the Yankees are about a .550 team, and the Rays are a little better than that, with a much better rotation.  It's not wishful thinking - believe me, I would rather face the Yankees than Price, Shields & Hellickson in the post-season.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

the heat don't have the qualify players like the sox
    Posted by can-you-dig-it

Hmmmm we'll see what happens, I think they'll still play the games instead of just awarding the trophy.

• Sections
    Shortcuts