Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

At the end of the day, the Yankees are about a .550 team, --slomag
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    The brain trust has arrived.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    At the end of the day, the Yankees are about a .550 team, --slomag ------------------------------------------------------------------ The brain trust has arrived.
    Posted by mfymfy

4 ER in 5 innings for Gordon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : 4 ER in 5 innings for Gordon.
    Posted by slomag

He pitched about as well as Lackey did for us today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I'm not worried about the Yankees. I fully expect the Yankees and Red Sox to finish as the top two teams in the AL. If the Red Sox perform consistently, they'll come out on top. If not, then the Yankees will most likely pass them.

Scoreboard watching is for September, maybe. June is time to worry about your own team's performance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

In Response to Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    Good afternoon to my good friends on Red Sox:On the front burner. With my Yankees defeating the Reds this afternoon, the Yankees are tied in the loss column with your Sox and only 1/2 games out. With an inferior Yankees' pitching staff and aging ball players, are you looking over your shoulder?
    Posted by FRNYYGL

Wow, and I thought it was the SOX who were 2-10 and had made up all that ground and passed the Yankees!  Guess I as wrong.  Sorry.

And I guess the Yankees didn't lose 8 of 9 to the team you seam obsessed with.  Guess CC didn't lose 3 straight to the Sox, either. 

Guess none of that happened.  I bow to your obviously superior team, forgive me for getting my facts wrong. 

Mid 8th, Reds 7 ...... Yankees ..... 2

SOOOOooooOOoooOOOoooO close, but looks like NO CIGAR FOR YOU Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Hell, I'll admit it ... of course I'm worried about the Yankees. With all their "problems," they've won 10 of 12 since we swept them. They will be there in October ... how can anyone not see that?
    EDIT: I should change "worried about" to "grudging respect." It's not like they're keeping me up at nights, but I'm realistic enough to understand they're our main competition in the AL East, if not the AL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The question is do you worry about them ... if you are one of those obsessed fans who thinks the Yankees are the only team that can beat the Sox, then have at it.   We have a great team, they have to beat whoever they play,  I don't think the Yankees have anything to do with us winning or losing.  

So relax. 

And BTW it is now Reds 10 ..... Yankees 2  

Again, so close, but you get NO SOUP!  Sorry OP

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Worried, nah...way too much baseball left to play and last I checked they don't give you a trophy, nor an invite to the post season for being in 1st place on June 22nd.
    Posted by Beantowne

That's about right.  I don't get concerned about the NYY.  I'd like to win 96-98.  If the NYY win 86 or 106, that's mostly out of our control.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : The man is 32 - he should be dominating the IL.  You know who else is dominating the IL?  Hideki Okajima, Scott Atchison & until recently Brandon Duckworth.  I wouldn't do cartwheels having any of them in my rotation. At the end of the day, the Yankees are about a .550 team, and the Rays are a little better than that, with a much better rotation.  It's not wishful thinking - believe me, I would rather face the Yankees than Price, Shields & Hellickson in the post-season.
    Posted by slomag

Agreed, but Gordon is probably SP #8 for them, if you get my drift. If he has 2 starts like the last 2, I'll take it going forward every time. As far as TB vs NYY, there's also the offense. The Yankees a .550 club, that finishes 3rd in the division? Maybe. However, keep disrespecting them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Reds 10    Yankees 2

Notice how close the Yankees come to catching the Sox, but they just can't do it.  Must drive you Yankee fans crazy.  Ho hum.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Yanks can do a lot worse than CC, AJ, Colon, Nova, Garcia, and Hughes who's throwing mid-90's again. A little surprising but the numbers speak for themselves. Hoping they fade is not much of a business plan. And then there's always the pitcher to be named later.
    Posted by mfymfy

No bullpen so are these guys planning on going 8?  Lol. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : That's about right.  I don't get concerned about the NYY.  I'd like to win 96-98.  If the NYY win 86 or 106, that's mostly out of our control.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I guessed in preseason the RS would win 98-103; (a large # of overly optimistic fans thought it would be over 120, based on a poll seen on these boards); as 5katz would say, just my take.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm not worried about the Yankees. I fully expect the Yankees and Red Sox to finish as the top two teams in the AL. If the Red Sox perform consistently, they'll come out on top. If not, then the Yankees will most likely pass them. Scoreboard watching is for September, maybe. June is time to worry about your own team's performance.
    Posted by thirtysomething

Well put.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Yanks can do a lot worse than CC, AJ, Colon, Nova, Garcia, and Hughes who's throwing mid-90's again. A little surprising but the numbers speak for themselves. Hoping they fade is not much of a business plan. And then there's always the pitcher to be named later.
    Posted by mfymfy

Any Red Sox fan who takes the Yankees lightly is not only whistling past the grave yard but is a damn fool besides.  Don't let that 8-1 record we have with them fool you either.  We were 8-0 against them two years ago and wound up dead even 9-9.  The Yankees have made life hell for the Red Sox for decades and the only way to overcome that is to get the lead again and just do our best to bury them, and that can't be done with our on again, off again play.  This past series with the Padres showed me at least that this team is capable of stumbling badly as well as going hell hog over the opposition.  We need more of the latter and a helluva lot less of the former.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

seabeachfred,

Basically agree, but not so much with your final characterization, which I think overemphasizes the just completed three game series with the Padres.  My view of those three games is that stuff happens.  First Aceves and then Lackey just completely lost their control, and the Padres pitching staff was just good enough to keep the Sox hitters from getting back into the game.  In other words, most times you are only as good as your next starting pitcher.  Funny thing is, in neither case did Francona leave his starter in the game long enough to get the game completely out of reach.  True, the Padres only needed the 5 runs Lackey gave them, but the Sox on other days could have made that up. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Any Red Sox fan who takes the Yankees lightly is not only whistling past the grave yard but is a damn fool besides.  Don't let that 8-1 record we have with them fool you either.  We were 8-0 against them two years ago and wound up dead even 9-9.  The Yankees have made life hell for the Red Sox for decades and the only way to overcome that is to get the lead again and just do our best to bury them, and that can't be done with our on again, off again play.  This past series with the Padres showed me at least that this team is capable of stumbling badly as well as going hell hog over the opposition.  We need more of the latter and a helluva lot less of the former.
    Posted by seabeachfred

True Fred!

Great to see you, man!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : True Fred! Great to see you, man!
    Posted by SinceYaz

Been awhile Yaz, hasn't it?  How many of the old gang are still here?  Seems like only a few still post.  I came here on a lark tonight but there seems to be some good topics and it has whetted my interest.  Hope all is well, and, yes, I would love nothing better than to be in Boston in early November even if I have to freeze my nuncies off.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Been awhile Yaz, hasn't it?  How many of the old gang are still here?  Seems like only a few still post.  I came here on a lark tonight but there seems to be some good topics and it has whetted my interest.  Hope all is well, and, yes, I would love nothing better than to be in Boston in early November even if I have to freeze my nuncies off.
    Posted by seabeachfred

Let's freeze 'em, then bud!   I don't' take the NYuck lightly, but I do believe in this team.

A decent number are  still here - or back.  I was away for a couple years after that terrible rebuild of this site.  It was nice to come back  ...

I've grown-up a bit.  Not as nasty and I don't attack trolls immediately ... and not always for blood.  But I still jump overly negative Sox fans ... not as hard, but ....

Last season was tough but I couldn't have been prouder of a gutsy group than them.  True grinders!!!

Enjoy, my old friend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Yankees always concern me. I moved to San Francisco a number of years ago and have become almost as much of a baseball fan as I am a Red Sox fan. I've also gotten friendly with a lot of fans of other teams. That's kind of a long winded introduction to my post, which is about this one friend of mine from Nicaragua who isn't really a fan of any one team. But he is a baseball fan. his opinion is that the AL East should be broken up. I of course told him that that was a ridiculous idea, because what would baseball be without RS-Yankees?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In the absence of Injury, NO!!!!

I think the Sox core is younger and despite their issues with pitching, their pitching has more depth.   Yankees will fade

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nope..June is not the time to be worrying about other teams..Its about looking to address your own teams needs...I respect the yankees, always, but this year there isnt as much "fear" like past years for some reason..It will be a close race down to the wire like usual..Talk to me in September..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

the yanks will be getting two pitchers back when colon returns.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Best record in the AL, even after dumping two to the Pads, and yet some of you still talk about the Yankees.

New flash:  Sox will be in the playoffs if they take care of business.   It doesn't matter what the Yankees do, it is not going to stop the Sox from getting in. 

And as a reminder, in an 18 game head to head matchup this season, the Sox only need to win 2 out of the next 9 to take the tie breaker.   May not mean much to you now, may end up being meaningless ... guess we will see.  But don't trivialize the 8 wins.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Agreed, but Gordon is probably SP #8 for them, if you get my drift. If he has 2 starts like the last 2, I'll take it going forward every time. As far as TB vs NYY, there's also the offense. The Yankees a .550 club, that finishes 3rd in the division? Maybe. However, keep disrespecting them.
    Posted by nhsteven

What's more disrespectful?  Picking the 2010 AL East champs to miss the post-season or the 2010 wild-card team?  Are the Yankees any better today than they were in the second half of 2010?  If Garcia and Colon pitch the rest of the season with a combined 3.5 ERA, then the answer is yes, but history suggests that is unlikely.  Sabathia will be good and the rest of the rotation will be around 4.3, which means there are some stinkers on the horizon.

I also think the Yankees have a tough schedule to close the year.  They have only 9 home games in August, and a west-coast swing in September, sandwiched in between an AL East battle royale.  There's no shame in being a .550 team, but I don't think it will be enough to get them into the post-season.

Sections
Shortcuts