Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : All valid points ... except Lester, with a win tonight, has 10 wins ... and will be on track for the Cy if he gets his ERA down this summer.  But the point you miss is that your Yankees blew the lead.  The Sox start 2-10, and are now in first?  How did that happen?  Magic?  Sox have the best record in the AL now.  What do you say to that?  And this is with all those players you list above not having good seasons. You make a great case that the Sox have an outstanding team, I mean, all these players are not doing well, and yet we catch your team and are in first place?   Ouch.   
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOT

You're gloating about having a 1/2 game lead in June?  Really?  Is this the first year you watched baseball?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees?:

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Perhaps; but I've also read similar conjecture about the RS @Fenway; in all cases, consider the source, if you will. However, in general, I prefer to give umpires the benefit of the doubt until concretely shown otherwise and not use it as an alibi for the rivalry; to each his own.
    Posted by nhsteven

I've actually tried to find it. He had a whole story about it. It wasn't just a casual remark. And he was also the type of person who didn't make casual remarks of that magnitude without having evidence to back it up. I know he was telling the truth.

As far as considering the source, on this board, he would be one of the objective stats guys. However, he's not on this board. I would love it if he was.  He was a great person, and like I said, absolutely brilliant -- and not just in regard to baseball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

But the point you miss is that your Yankees blew the lead.  The Sox start 2-10, and are now in first?  How did that happen?  Magic? 

Sox have the best record in the AL now.  What do you say to that?  And this is with all those players you list above not having good seasons.--soxmeister
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Silly argument. Yanks have done nothing but played solid consistent .600 baseball from Opening Day. How is that blowing something?

The Sox have had to streak and scramble to catch up to the rest of the field. So now you try to turn an early Sox debacle into some Yankee mistake? Sorry, doesn't fly. But congratulations, the Sox are now playing as well as the Yankees. And the Sox are at or near full strength while the Yanks have 8 key guys on the DL.

Best record? They're even in the loss column despite Yanks having lost seven games to the Sox, and that may change as early as tonight. The Yankees haven't blown anything. But the Sox certainly blew a potential big lead with their horrific start. 

Pre-season hype doesn't work anymore. The Sox now have to keep winning because the Yankees keep winning (and the Rays are only 4 back in the loss column as well). And the Sox issues, which you overlook--the rotation mess, the bullpen, the black hole after the fifth spot in the lineup--won't magically disappear.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : I've actually tried to find it. He had a whole story about it. It wasn't just a casual remark. And he was also the type of person who didn't make casual remarks of that magnitude without having evidence to back it up. I know he was telling the truth. As far as considering the source, on this board, he would be one of the objective stats guys. However, he's not on this board. I would love it if he was.  He was a great person, and like I said, absolutely brilliant -- and not just in regard to baseball.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

You piqued my interest; I hope you find it. P.S. If he's a Boston reporter who's last name isn't Gammons or someone of similar ilk, don't bother. For now, that's a tough nut to hang your hat on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Well, I was looking on my computer then I decided to just try and google it.  Amazing what comes up when you google something. And this wasn't even what I was talking about:

USA Today

Yer out! Three umpire bosses fired over blown 2009 playoffs calls

Updated 3/8/2010 5:33 PM | 

By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

Major League Baseball, angry over the abundance of blown umpiring calls in the 2009 postseason, has fired three of its seven ump supervisors.

Marty Springstead, Rich Garcia and Jim McKean, each involved in umpiring for 40 or more years, were fired on Jan. 12. They received the news by telephone.

DAILY PITCH: More on supervisor firings

"I was totally shocked," said Springstead, who began his umpiring career in 1960. "Fifty years, and I get a four-minute phone call to say good-bye? They didn't give us a lot of reasons."

Randy Marsh and Charlie Reliford, two umpires who retired after last season, have been hired as replacements. Ed Montague, who retired after 34 years, also is in negotiations about a supervisor's job.

"I'm sad about it, I'm going to miss it," said Garcia, who umpired in 12 postseasons during his 25-year big-league career. "It's certainly not what I wanted to happen. I can walk away proud of the work I've done."

MLB did not cite a specific reason for the firings. Rob Manfred, MLB executive vice president, said, "The change in supervisors is part of our ongoing effort to make our organization as strong as possible."

Yet, Springstead said it was directly related to the errant calls in last year's postseason.

Crew chief Tim McClelland, along with veteran umpires Phil Cuzzi and C.B. Bucknor, each blew key calls during the American League division and championship series. They retained their jobs.

Umpire supervisors serve as liaisons between the umpires and MLB, recommending umpires for postseason, but not making final selections.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

And there's more...

MLB fires three umpire supervisors for blown playoff calls

PUBLISHED Monday, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:35 am EST

AOL Sporting News MLB
    MLB fires three umpire supervisors for blown playoff calls

PUBLISHED Monday, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:35 am EST

Sporting News staff reportsSporting News

Text sizeAAA

Major League Baseball has fired three of its seven umpire supervisors in response to a postseason plagued by blown calls.

Marty Springstead, Rich Garcia and Jim McKean, all veterans of at least 40 years, were fired in January, according to USA?Today. Retired umpires Randy Marsh and Charlie Reliford were hired as replacements. Ed Montague, a recently retired ump of 34 years, is a candidate to fill the other position.

Rob Manfred, MLB executive vice president, told USA?Today, "The change in supervisors is part of our ongoing effort to make our organization as strong as possible."

According to the report, Springstead said the firings were directly related to last year's playoffs. The umpires who made the questionable calls were all retained. In Game 2 of the ALDS, Phil Cuzzi incorrectly ruled a ball hit by Joe Mauer as foul, costing the Twins a double. Crew chief Tim McClellenand missed two key calls in Game 4 of the ALCS. He called Nick Swisher out on appeal for leaving third base too early, although replays showed that Swisher left after the ball was caught. He then called Robinson Cano safe on a rundown even though Cano was clearly standing off the base while getting tagged. One responsibility of the supervisors is to make recommendations to MLB for postseason crews.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

see, two calls in favor of the yankees and one call went againsst the yankees.  who needs more proof than that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

See, now you being a Yankee fan had to already know that. And my guess would be, even it you didn't, you googled it when I first mentioned it. Yet in talking to me you never mentioned it. That's pretty much what I mean about the Yankee fans here. They want the Sox fans to stay neutral, while they protect and support their team unconditionally.

Again, this was not what I was referring to, and I'm still going to try and find that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

absolutely kim, they want there cake and eat it.  it doesn't work like that.  you give them the proof they need and no response, why ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

See, now you being a Yankee fan had to already know that. And my guess would be, even it you didn't, you googled it when I first mentioned it. Yet in talking to me you never mentioned it. That's pretty much what I mean about the Yankee fans here. They want the Sox fans to stay neutral, while they protect and support their team unconditionally. Again, this was not what I was referring to, and I'm still going to try and find that.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

You're right.  The umpires clearly favor the Yankees, as you have proven by citing an example of a bad call that hurt the Yankees.  Way to go Sherlock.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

see, two calls in favor of the yankees and one call went againsst the yankees.  who needs more proof than that.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it

Crew chief Tim McClellenand missed two key calls in Game 4 of the ALCS. He called Nick Swisher out on appeal for leaving third base too early, although replays showed that Swisher left after the ball was caught. He then called Robinson Cano safe on a rundown even though Cano was clearly standing off the base while getting tagged.

On McClellenand's calls, he probably got in trouble for the the first one, and so he got back on track with the next. lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : You're right.  The umpires clearly favor the Yankees, as you have proven by citing an example of a bad call that hurt the Yankees.  Way to go Sherlock.
    Posted by LS350

Whatever you say, Zac.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

I'm not worried about the Yankees. I fully expect the Yankees and Red Sox to finish as the top two teams in the AL. If the Red Sox perform consistently, they'll come out on top. If not, then the Yankees will most likely pass them. Scoreboard watching is for September, maybe. June is time to worry about your own team's performance.
    Posted by thirtysomething
    hey TS, what's doin?..really great to see you back around...hope all is well...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Crew chief Tim McClellenand missed two key calls in Game 4 of the ALCS. He called Nick Swisher out on appeal for leaving third base too early, although replays showed that Swisher left after the ball was caught. He then called Robinson Cano safe on a rundown even though Cano was clearly standing off the base while getting tagged. On McClellenand's calls, he probably got in trouble for the the first one, and so he got back on track with the next. lol
    Posted by kimsaysthis
    hi Kim, makes ya think, what's taking them
    so long to reign in that nutcase Joe West?..Tongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

But the point you miss is that your Yankees blew the lead.  The Sox start 2-10, and are now in first?  How did that happen?  Magic?  Sox have the best record in the AL now.  What do you say to that?  And this is with all those players you list above not having good seasons.--soxmeister --------------------------------------------------------------------- Silly argument. Yanks have done nothing but played solid consistent .600 baseball from Opening Day. How is that blowing something? The Sox have had to streak and scramble to catch up to the rest of the field. So now you try to turn an early Sox debacle into some Yankee mistake? Sorry, doesn't fly. But congratulations, the Sox are now playing as well as the Yankees. And the Sox are at or near full strength while the Yanks have 8 key guys on the DL. Best record? They're even in the loss column despite Yanks having lost seven games to the Sox, and that may change as early as tonight. The Yankees haven't blown anything. But the Sox certainly blew a potential big lead with their horrific start.  Pre-season hype doesn't work anymore. The Sox now have to keep winning because the Yankees keep winning (and the Rays are only 4 back in the loss column as well). And the Sox issues, which you overlook--the rotation mess, the bullpen, the black hole after the fifth spot in the lineup--won't magically disappear.
    Posted by mfymfy

Dice-K and Hill are out for the year.  Buchholz is on the DL.  Beckett has missed 2 starts with a stomach flu.  Lowrie and Crawford are on the DL.  Jenks just started a re-hab assignment.  McDonald, Wheeler & Lackey have all spent time on the DL.  Pedroia and Youk have not been 100% all year.  You're whining to the wrong fans about your DL woes.

And production 6-9 has been pretty comparable between the two teams.  But the Yankees can add the leadoff spot to their black hole.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Dice-K and Hill are out for the year.  Buchholz is on the DL.  Beckett has missed 2 starts with a stomach flu.  Lowrie and Crawford are on the DL.  Jenks just started a re-hab assignment.  McDonald, Wheeler & Lackey have all spent time on the DL.  Pedroia and Youk have not been 100% all year.  You're whining to the wrong fans about your DL woes----slomag
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Whining? Sorry, man. The point is that I'm not seeing any Yankee excuses like you're doing now (and did all last year). Cashman/Girardi find ways to fill in the gaps and the Yanks keep on winning while you're busy cataloguing injuries.

As for Dice, Hill, Lowrie, Crawford, Jenks, McDonald, Wheeler, and Lackey on the DL, that's addition by subtraction.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I'm not worried about the yanks, the rays or any other team in baseball.  There is a whole lot of ball to be played before September so the standings right now don't mean a whole lot.

The teams with the best records will end up in the play offs.  A whole lot goes into making those records.  Great pitching, great offense and great defense are all very important.  Then injuries play into it, errors, physical and mental also play a part. 

Management and coaching are also important elements to be considered.

Bad calls by umps go both ways so I think it pretty much evens out in the end. Not always but in the grand scheme of things I think all teams are hurt by and benefit from bad calls.

I focus on how the sox are playing, I don't worry about other teams.  If the sox play well, avoid key injuries, don't make stupid mistakes, get enough calls going their way, have good coaches and have the right support from the front office I feel they will make the play offs and have a good shot at the WS title.

If the yanks do all of the above they have a good shot of making the play offs.  I'm not so sure if they have what it takes to win the WS, only time will tell.

May the best team win!

And by best team I mean the Red Sox!!!

Sorry JeteWink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Now this is real news today.

First, Colon ran sprints for the first time in his life.

Second,  Paramedics were not called to revive him with the electric paddles.

What are the Yanks trying to do kill him?

biggrin

Even Joe G was at a loss for words when asked what he thought of Colon running

ARod just motioned with his hands to say are the Yankees crazy.

Even Cano couldn't continue infield practice today when he was told that Colon was forced to run sprints.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Dice-K and Hill are out for the year.  Buchholz is on the DL.  Beckett has missed 2 starts with a stomach flu.  Lowrie and Crawford are on the DL.  Jenks just started a re-hab assignment.  McDonald, Wheeler & Lackey have all spent time on the DL.  Pedroia and Youk have not been 100% all year.  You're whining to the wrong fans about your DL woes----slomag ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Whining? Sorry, man. The point is that I'm not seeing any Yankee excuses like you're doing now (and did all last year). Cashman/Girardi find ways to fill in the gaps and the Yanks keep on winning while you're busy cataloguing injuries. As for Dice, Hill, Lowrie, Crawford, Jenks, McDonald, Wheeler, and Lackey on the DL, that's addition by subtraction.
    Posted by mfymfy

But congratulations, the Sox are now playing as well as the Yankees. And the Sox are at or near full strength while the Yanks have 8 key guys on the DL. 

This sure sounds like a Yankee excuse.  Or more accurately, a gross display of ignorance (sox at or near full strength) which my catalog of injuries neatly refuted, followed by a Yankee excuse.  Is your position that every time you mention your "8 key guys" on the DL you making an observation, while any mention of a Sox fan on the DL is an excuse?  And that holds true even when the Sox mention is specifically in rebuttal to your ill-informed statements? 

As for addition by subtraction, tell it to Phill Hughes and his 13.94 ERA.  Also, FYI, Eduardo Nunez has a greater OPS than Derek Jeter, not to mention decent range.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

why was colon running anyways, was the buffet about to close?.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? :
    In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : All valid points ... except Lester, with a win tonight, has 10 wins ... and will be on track for the Cy if he gets his ERA down this summer.  But the point you miss is that your Yankees blew the lead.  The Sox start 2-10, and are now in first?  How did that happen?  Magic?  Sox have the best record in the AL now.  What do you say to that?  And this is with all those players you list above not having good seasons. You make a great case that the Sox have an outstanding team, I mean, all these players are not doing well, and yet we catch your team and are in first place?   Ouch.    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOT You're gloating about having a 1/2 game lead in June?  Really?  Is this the first year you watched baseball?
    Posted by LS350

Have you learned to read?  This thread is from a Yankee fan, posted in a Boston forum.  I am responding to him.  Not you.  But thanks for the comments.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

But the point you miss is that your Yankees blew the lead.  The Sox start 2-10, and are now in first?  How did that happen?  Magic?  Sox have the best record in the AL now.  What do you say to that?  And this is with all those players you list above not having good seasons.--soxmeister --------------------------------------------------------------------- Silly argument. Yanks have done nothing but played solid consistent .600 baseball from Opening Day. How is that blowing something? The Sox have had to streak and scramble to catch up to the rest of the field. So now you try to turn an early Sox debacle into some Yankee mistake? Sorry, doesn't fly. But congratulations, the Sox are now playing as well as the Yankees. And the Sox are at or near full strength while the Yanks have 8 key guys on the DL. Best record? They're even in the loss column despite Yanks having lost seven games to the Sox, and that may change as early as tonight. The Yankees haven't blown anything. But the Sox certainly blew a potential big lead with their horrific start.  Pre-season hype doesn't work anymore. The Sox now have to keep winning because the Yankees keep winning (and the Rays are only 4 back in the loss column as well). And the Sox issues, which you overlook--the rotation mess, the bullpen, the black hole after the fifth spot in the lineup--won't magically disappear.
    Posted by mfymfy

You should get a job as a press secretary.  Incredible spin.  But it just sounds like sour grapes from a fan of the team who lost all those games to mine.

When Jeter comes back, I predict a losing streak for the Yanks.  And it will cause friction in your clubhouse.  Then you can go on the Rays forum and maybe the Jays forum and tell those fans how they should be worried, and looking over their shoulder at the Yanks. Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone on Red Sox: On the front burner worried about the Yankees? : Have you learned to read?  This thread is from a Yankee fan, posted in a Boston forum.  I am responding to him.  Not you.   But thanks for the comments.  
    Posted by soxmeister

LOL, yeah, I understand who you were reponding to.  Apparently you don't grasp the fact that on a public forum anyone can talk about any topic or respond to anyone.  Your statement was foolish, regardless of who you were responding to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Conversation over, soxmeister. It's just going downhill at this point. 

Sections
Shortcuts