Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

They also said the Marlins have been asking about Middlebrooks but the Sox don't want to give up on his power.

By Jeff Todd [January 28, 2014 at 3:16pm CST]

CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman covered a series of free agent topics in an MLB Network appearance last night (hat tip to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca). Among them:

• The Blue Jays are "in the mix" for shortstop Stephen Drew, presumably viewing him as a second base option. Nevertheless, the Red Sox remain the favorites to land him, as they prefer to play Xander Bogaerts at third and appear willing to give Drew multiple years. Boston could dangle an opt-out clause of some kind to sweeten things for Drew, Heyman adds. There was a competing report last night on the Yankees' interest, but Heyman says that the club "seem[s] more interested in Drew than ever" after landing Masahiro Tanaka.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

i'd love to have drew back...i think bogaerts and drew is better than bogaerts and middlebrooks..and i really don't think drew want to play 2ndbase...i think that's all talk...i'd give drew a 2 year deal easy...

victorino

napoli

drew all come off the books in 2 years..and i hope they bring victorino back...but hey that's 2 years away.

and i like middlebrooks.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I doubt Drew wants to play 2B, but if that's where the money is, he may take it.

I wonder how many offers he'd have right now had it not been for the QO offer and loss of draft pick attached to signing him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt Drew wants to play 2B, but if that's where the money is, he may take it.

I wonder how many offers he'd have right now had it not been for the QO offer and loss of draft pick attached to signing him.

[/QUOTE]

If the story is true it sounds like our FO has doubts as to whether Middy is our long term answer at 3B on every day basis.  I would love to see Drew back at the right price just to help solidify our team up the middle, especially if Sizemore can contribute.  Our team may then have the same kind of depth (if not more) than last season with all the arms we have been picking up.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The opt out might make some sense even for the Red Sox. Instead of offering Drew a 1-10 million dollar deal. We could offer him a 2-15 deal, 10 and 5, with the second year opt out. I am pretty sure this would reduce the AAV to only 7.5. Drew would probably opt out anyway, so the second year isn't that meaningful.

I think I saw somehere around the time we signed Sizemore that we might still be 7 million under the cap. If we trade Carp, that could allow us to sign Drew and stay under the cap without trading Dempster or Peavy.

Gammons said resigning Drew would be delicate and the Sox would need to find a way for Drew to save face. Maybe Gammons really meant Boras saving face, but I digress. This deal would give Drew three things. An opt out that players rarely get, more money this year then last and more money guaranteed over all then the QO. Yet it is still a fantastic deal for the Red Sox IMO.

I still believe Drew is a perfect fit if he can accept a more limited role[120 games]. I think he adds wins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Drew has had to see the writing on the wall about being receptive towards playing other positions.  He should already have a broken in second baseman's glove if there is indeed a difference between gloves.

Middlebrooks and Bogaerts are gambles but are gambles that will pay off.  Having Drew on the roster adds some very nice depth.

The Sox signing Drew will be determined by whether he can get a better financial deal elsewhere.  So far, there appears to be no team rushing to his front door with a contract better than what the Sox have offered him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Charlie,

Drew is one of many positon players with draft compensation attached that have yet to sign. So he's not the only player looking for work. Since none of us are privy to any of the conversations he and Boras have had. Nor do we know what if any offers have been made to him by any club. What is clear is that the demand for his services is not what he or Boras expected. Boras more than any agent understands the importance of having multiple clubs involved in order to extract the best offer for his clients. 

Given that it's a couple of weeks before camp and Drew's still out there? Suggest to me the Sox aren't as interested in bringing him back as the mediots continue to imply. Could it be that it's actually Boras that is behind the curtain floating rumors of the Sox & Yankees interest? My take all along is that Drew would sign with a club that's already signed another of the top free agents. One where they've already lost thier 1st round pick, thus minimizing the cost of the draft prospect they'd lose to sign him. The Yankee certainly fit that description...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I have said the team with the most need for Drew is the Yankees. Even if Jeter plays--SS is going  to be too much for him. Ryan is a great fielder at SS but a weak bat. Drew has all the makings to solidify the Inf for the NYY--short porch--big increase in his power stats--plus we only get their 23 rd pick---which would make the Bronx Fans very happy.

Drew to the Sox--greater comfort level in year 2--better overall offensive #'s. WMB to the Marlins with a prospect for Steve Cishek would make the Sox pen just about the tightest in all of babeball. At least three formidable closers--"Shutdown Village."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

We will find out sooooon enough !!!   Feb 3rd and counting !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have said the team with the most need for Drew is the Yankees. Even if Jeter plays--SS is going  to be too much for him. Ryan is a great fielder at SS but a weak bat. Drew has all the makings to solidify the Inf for the NYY--short porch--big increase in his power stats--plus we only get their 23 rd pick---which would make the Bronx Fans very happy.

Teams no longer "get" other teams picks by losing a FA. The Yanks would lose their 3rd round pick, and we'd gain a sandwich pick (about 34-37), if the Yanks or anyone signs Drew before the draft.

Drew to the Sox--greater comfort level in year 2--better overall offensive #'s. WMB to the Marlins with a prospect for Steve Cishek would make the Sox pen just about the tightest in all of babeball. At least three formidable closers--"Shutdown Village."

They'd probably take 5 years of Middy control straight up for 4 years Cishek control, but I'm not sure I'd make that trade, even with Drew. I'd like to trade Dempster for a prospect and flip that prosepct (adding another like de la Rosa) to Miami for Cishek. That way we keep our depth at 3B and get a key pen piece.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think the fact that the Sox might still be in play for Drew has less to do with them having faith in WMB and more to do with the fact that Drew's market and price might seriously be depressed and the left side of the infield is an area where Boston has very little depth.

Yes Marrero and Cecchini are inching closer to the Bigs but neither has done anything above AA yet, and only one of them has good defense. 

I'm not disagreeing with those who think the Sox have their concerns about WMB, because I believe they do.  I just don't think they are giving up on him and still are preparing to have him likely starting the season at 3B.  But if the price is right and Drew can be brought back cheap for one more year, then why not???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the fact that the Sox might still be in play for Drew has less to do with them having faith in WMB and more to do with the fact that Drew's market and price might seriously be depressed and the left side of the infield is an area where Boston has very little depth.

Yes Marrero and Cecchini are inching closer to the Bigs but neither has done anything above AA yet, and only one of them has good defense. 

I'm not disagreeing with those who think the Sox have their concerns about WMB, because I believe they do.  I just don't think they are giving up on him and still are preparing to have him likely starting the season at 3B.  But if the price is right and Drew can be brought back cheap for one more year, then why not???

[/QUOTE]

Signing Drew might mean Bogey starts in AAA not Middy. Bogey could learn to play 3B in AAA as well as gain a year of team control at the back end of his his team control span.

Middy would be given at least 2-3 months to show his stuff, and if he doesn't work out, we have Bogey to come up to the bigs at a position, he is probably better suited for anyways: 3B.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Update 2/18/2014 apparently there are still a few imaginary teams very interested in Drew and Mr. Boras is working hard with the efforts of the FBI and CIA to find out who they are :)

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/2/18/5423486/stephen-drew-mlb-four-teams-interested

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Isn't Heyman supposed to be Boras' boy?  I think whatever you hear from Heyman comes from Boras.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Drew might mean Bogey starts in AAA not Middy. Bogey could learn to play 3B in AAA as well as gain a year of team control at the back end of his his team control span.

Middy would be given at least 2-3 months to show his stuff, and if he doesn't work out, we have Bogey to come up to the bigs at a position, he is probably better suited for anyways: 3B.

[/QUOTE]

Tough call moon, Bogy hits lefties really well and Drew doesn't.  Drew and Herrera hit righties but Herrera still has a minor league option.  Chances are good Herrera goes down while Bogy splits time with Middy and Drew.

I would keep Bogy for lefties and give Middy one last opportunity to prove he belongs.

I can't see us losing a year of team control on Bogey, just so he can play vs LHPs (~30% of the games) . Bogey needs to play everyday.

It is a tough call, because Bogey projects to be better than Middy, but the team control issue and the fact that Bogey has barely played 3B makes me lean towards thinking Ben would keep Bogey in AAA, not Middy or Herrera... at least until bogey get that extra year.

Anyone know how long Bogey would need to stay in AAA to gain that extra year of team control?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bogey plays everyday, here or in Pawtucket.

I have a hard time seeing him not playing in Boston, but I have even a tougher time seeing him playing part time in Boston as opposed to playing every day in Pawtucket.

One way or another....Bogey is an everyday player. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Tough call moon, Bogy hits lefties really well and Drew doesn't.  Drew and Herrera hit righties but Herrera still has a minor league option.  Chances are good Herrera goes down while Bogy splits time with Middy and Drew.

I would keep Bogy for lefties and give Middy one last opportunity to prove he belongs.

I can't see us losing a year of team control on Bogey, just so he can play vs LHPs (~30% of the games) . Bogey needs to play everyday.

It is a tough call, because Bogey projects to be better than Middy, but the team control issue and the fact that Bogey has barely played 3B makes me lean towards thinking Ben would keep Bogey in AAA, not Middy or Herrera... at least until bogey get that extra year.

Anyone know how long Bogey would need to stay in AAA to gain that extra year of team control?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure how long it would take to gain another year of control over Bogy but if it's more than half of next season?  30% of the games can make or break us in our division.  Guys like Gomes and Carp are decent but weaken our OF defense while someone like Drew is pretty much useless along with Herrera against lefties.  We saw early on last season why having someone more capable against lefties is so important. 

Thats why I would prefer a more established defensive/RHH OF who can hit lefties and play every day along with Bogy over Drew or Herrera.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I have a hard time seeing him not playing in Boston, but I have even a tougher time seeing him playing part time in Boston as opposed to playing every day in Pawtucket.

I understand your thought on Bogy playing every day but it really doesn't help our cause keeping him in the minors if he needs half a year or more to gain another year of control.  We struggled to hit lefties last season when both Middy and Drew were useless. 

Herrera isn't any better while Carp and Gomes are average players at best.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I understand your thought on Bogy playing every day but it really doesn't help our cause keeping him in the minors if he needs half a year or more to gain another year of control.  We struggled to hit lefties last season when both Middy and Drew were useless. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand, but I still think that the Boston Red Sox management is going to play Bogaerts everyday somewhere, presumably in Boston. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The 3 together are better than any other combo they currently have available.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

I understand, but I still think that the Boston Red Sox management is going to play Bogaerts everyday somewhere, presumably in Boston. 

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

I think Bogy could get enough playing time against lefties for Drew and in a platoon with Middy if he struggles but time will tell.  I just don't want to see us fall into the same trend as last season before making the proper adjustments before it was too late.  Who knows maybe guys like Gomes, Drew or Middy will handle lefties more consistently next season I just don't see it.  I also think Herrera was basically a move out of desperation if Drew doesn't return because neither hit lefties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

I think Bogy could get enough playing time against lefties for Drew and in a platoon with Middy if he struggles but time will tell.  I just don't want to see us fall into the same trend as last season before making the proper adjustments before it was too late.  Who knows maybe guys like Gomes, Drew or Middy will handle lefties more consistently next season I just don't see it.  I also think Herrera was basically a move out of desperation if Drew doesn't return because neither hit lefties.

[/QUOTE]

How is Herrera a desperation move?

And clarify something for me.  Are you suggesting Bogaerts plays SS Vs lefties and rides the bench 60% of the time? Or are you suggesting he platoons against LHP with Drew and takes over for Middy at 3B vs RHP.  Because I agree with the later (if Drew is signed)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...while someone like Drew is pretty much useless along with Herrera against lefties. 

Well, he's better defensively than Bogey. John chose not to platoon Drew last year, even with the low OPS vs lefties.

Sections
Shortcuts