Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

Dempster may not be a guy who is particularly suited to the AL (see his numbers with Texas after the trade in 2012, and last year), which is what I was afraid of when we signed him...but he was a pretty good pitcher in the NL for quite a few years, which is easy to forget. He was having his best season in 2012 before being traded.

He is nothing more than a back of the rotation pitcher in Boston, but that hardly means he's worthless. I find it hard to believe some team won't see some value there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

i thought this site was intresting reading about the Draft and new CBA.
     prospectinsider.com/updated-mlb-draft-order-142014

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dempster may not be a guy who is particularly suited to the AL (see his numbers with Texas after the trade in 2012, and last year), which is what I was afraid of when we signed him...but he was a pretty good pitcher in the NL for quite a few years, which is easy to forget. He was having his best season in 2012 before being traded.

He is nothing more than a back of the rotation pitcher in Boston, but that hardly means he's worthless. I find it hard to believe some team won't see some value there.

[/QUOTE]

If all a pitcher is is a back of the rotation starter he still carries a tremendous amount of value to a team.  Some don't understand that, but then again they aren't G.M.'s 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If all a pitcher is is a back of the rotation starter he still carries a tremendous amount of value to a team.  Some don't understand that, but then again they aren't G.M.'s 

Agree, when do you come out of Spring Training 100%? Good to have that insurance in case of injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  As I've posted here before, Dempster started 29 games (!) and posted an ERA of ~4.5.  That's 3 runs in six innings.  It keeps your team in the game and gives them a chance to win it - from your #5 starter!  If that's the 5th best starter on your team you've got a pretty formidable rotation.  

One can make the argument that he's getting too much money to do that and I *might* agree, but when looked at through the prism of a World Championship it's hard to say he wasn't worth it.  

Looking forward now...

He could probably be traded to get some salary relief, but if you're thinking you're going to find anyone who's going to take his place and do any better you're taking a big gamble.  When division championships or wild card spots are often decided by a game or two EVERY game counts.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, but I'd want to either get someone really good for him or at least have a player earmarked in advance to spend the money saved on to get someone else who's really good.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He could probably be traded to get some salary relief, but if you're thinking you're going to find anyone who's going to take his place and do any better you're taking a big gamble.  

Dempster in 2014 is a gamble as well. Of course it uis beter to have more pitchers to choose from, but I'm convinced that one of our young pitchers can do as well as the 2013 Dempster did for us. The problem might be, we might have to go through 3-4 of them to find the right one, and that might put us too far behind to recover from.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a big difference between Arroyo and Dempster, please.

Arroyo was 14-12, ERA at 3.79, 202 IP, WHIP of 1.153

Dempster was 8-9, ERA at 4.57, IP at 171 and WHIP of 1.453

No comparison.

And repeating, Boras and Drew blew it big time turning down $14.1M for one year.

Arroyo pitched in the non-DH league, in a weaker hitting division, and a weaker hitting league.

3 year WAR:

Dempster 6.9

Arroyo       1.7

I think they are very close.

Other 2013 numbers:

Dempster WAR 1.3, xFIP 4.21, ERA- 110, tERA 5.37, SIERA 4.26

B Arroyo  WAR  0.8, xFIP 3.97, ERA- 105, tERA 5.04, SIERA 4.15

Again, these numbers are very close.

For the money saved by trading Dempster, we might be able to acquire 2 decent role players in July.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it all depends on how much salary we would have to eat.  i would suspect we would have to eat a grip of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

your numbers as usual are boring and mean little.

[/QUOTE]

Your reply was exciting and vibrant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  As I've posted here before, Dempster started 29 games (!) and posted an ERA of ~4.5.  That's 3 runs in six innings.  It keeps your team in the game and gives them a chance to win it - from your #5 starter!  If that's the 5th best starter on your team you've got a pretty formidable rotation.  

One can make the argument that he's getting too much money to do that and I *might* agree, but when looked at through the prism of a World Championship it's hard to say he wasn't worth it.  

Looking forward now...

He could probably be traded to get some salary relief, but if you're thinking you're going to find anyone who's going to take his place and do any better you're taking a big gamble.  When division championships or wild card spots are often decided by a game or two EVERY game counts.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, but I'd want to either get someone really good for him or at least have a player earmarked in advance to spend the money saved on to get someone else who's really good.  

[/QUOTE]

Workman could take his place.  You could make the argument of starting Workman in Pawtucket.  Many viewed him as a good reliever or a back of the rotation starter....perhaps his performance last year helped elevate his status and show the organization that he might be a legitimate option for the back end of the rotation.

You can let Dempster be the swing man, and when you trade him Workman can come up and take his place.

Personally I think workman has earned his shot to stay with the big club, but I wouldn't be 100% surprised if the Sox employed this strategy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Workman could take his place.  You could make the argument of starting Workman in Pawtucket.  Many viewed him as a good reliever or a back of the rotation starter....perhaps his performance last year helped elevate his status and show the organization that he might be a legitimate option for the back end of the rotation.

You can let Dempster be the swing man, and when you trade him Workman can come up and take his place.

Personally I think workman has earned his shot to stay with the big club, but I wouldn't be 100% surprised if the Sox employed this strategy. 

Dempster is the "swingman" as of now, and at $13.25M, that seems very high for that role.

SP1- Lester

SP2- Buchholz

SP3- Lackey

SP4- Peavy

SP5- Doubront

Swingman- Dempster or Workman (possibly Barnes, Webster, Ranaudo, Owens, Wright or someone else later on).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dempster is the "swingman" as of now, and at $13.25M, that seems very high for that role.

SP1- Lester

SP2- Buchholz

SP3- Lackey

SP4- Peavy

SP5- Doubront

Swingman- Dempster or Workman (possibly Barnes, Webster, Ranaudo, Owens, Wright or someone else later on).

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but as we've seen that swing man role can be very valuable and may be one of the most underreated positions on a roster.  Especially with this team, and Dempster doesn't exactly fail in that role but he is VERY expensive.  He could be even more marketable come July and Workman would be more than ready to fill his shoes.  Dempster still started 10 games in the second half after we traded for Peavy.  Of course that was because Buccholz was out....but the reality is that between Clay, Lester, Doubront, Lackey and Peavy....there may easily be 10-15 starts to be had from a swing man. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

SP1- Lester

SP2- Buchholz

SP3- Lackey

SP4- Peavy

SP5- Doubront

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but as we've seen that swing man role can be very valuable and may be one of the most underreated positions on a roster.  Especially with this team, and Dempster doesn't exactly fail in that role but he is VERY expensive.  He could be even more marketable come July and Workman would be more than ready to fill his shoes.  Dempster still started 10 games in the second half after we traded for Peavy.  Of course that was because Buccholz was out....but the reality is that between Clay, Lester, Doubront, Lackey and Peavy....there may easily be 10-15 starts to be had from a swing man. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand the value of the 6th starter and even the 7th starter, but $13.25M is too much, and if we wait until July to trade him, we save only about $4.5M. 

Trading him before opening day gives us much more budget space to use when needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

SP1- Lester

SP2- Buchholz

SP3- Lackey

SP4- Peavy

SP5- Doubront

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand the value of the 6th starter and even the 7th starter, but $13.25M is too much, and if we wait until July to trade him, we save only about $4.5M. 

Trading him before opening day gives us much more budget space to use when needed.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree....I'm just trying to visualize what could possibly happen if they keep Dempster around. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree....I'm just trying to visualize what could possibly happen if they keep Dempster around. 

Even without any major staff injuries, Dempster could probably get 10-15 starts and a bunch of mid to long relief opportunities, but I just don't see that as worth $13.25M, especially since we have a bunch of young starters that can probably fill that role just as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even without any major staff injuries, Dempster could probably get 10-15 starts and a bunch of mid to long relief opportunities, but I just don't see that as worth $13.25M, especially since we have a bunch of young starters that can probably fill that role just as well.

[/QUOTE]

I saw Paul Maholm 31 year old lefty just got a 1 yr deal w LAD for just $1.5 M. Dempster is better, especially for back of the rotation workhorse type. But Not that much better. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If not better.

We need to trade Peavy or Dempster unless we can do a blockbuster for an OF or 3B.  If we are foutunate to find one of those, then Buch or Dubront COULD be included, but it would have to be big.  Bigger than Kemp.  We are talking Longoria, Wright, stanton, puig type big.  One of those would be nice....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I saw Paul Maholm 31 year old lefty just got a 1 yr deal w LAD for just $1.5 M. Dempster is better, especially for back of the rotation workhorse type. But Not that much better. 

[/QUOTE]

...and if we trade Dempster but later on need another starter, we can alwayspick up a guy like Maholm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They also said the Marlins have been asking about Middlebrooks but the Sox don't want to give up on his power.

By Jeff Todd[January 28, 2014 at 3:16pm CST]

CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman covered a series of free agent topics in an MLB Network appearance last night (hat tip to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca). Among them:

• The Blue Jays are "in the mix" for shortstop Stephen Drew, presumably viewing him as a second base option. Nevertheless, the Red Sox remain the favorites to land him, as they prefer to play Xander Bogaerts at third and appear willing to give Drew multiple years. Boston could dangle an opt-out clause of some kind to sweeten things for Drew, Heyman adds. There was a competing report last night on the Yankees' interest, but Heyman says that the club "seem[s] more interested in Drew than ever" after landing Masahiro Tanaka.

[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...and if we trade Dempster but later on need another starter, we can alwayspick up a guy like Maholm.

[/QUOTE]

Between Dempster/Workman/Webster/Barnes/Ranaudo/Wright/Owens...I think if a starter goes down early this year or mid year we see what some of the youngsters can do before we go out and get guys.

BA ranked us the #1 farm system in terms of "MLB READY" talent for a reason, I foresee the Sox dipping into that reserve one way or another this year. 

If those guys struggle and/or we lose a couple starting pitchers then I can see us going out and making some big moves, otherwise I think they don't. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Between Dempster/Workman/Webster/Barnes/Ranaudo/Wright/Owens...I think if a starter goes down early this year or mid year we see what some of the youngsters can do before we go out and get guys.

BA ranked us the #1 farm system in terms of "MLB READY" talent for a reason, I foresee the Sox dipping into that reserve one way or another this year. 

If those guys struggle and/or we lose a couple starting pitchers then I can see us going out and making some big moves, otherwise I think they don't. 

Agreed. At least 3-4 of these youngsters should be ready when and if needed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

There's a big difference between Arroyo and Dempster, please.

Arroyo was 14-12, ERA at 3.79, 202 IP, WHIP of 1.153

Dempster was 8-9, ERA at 4.57, IP at 171 and WHIP of 1.453

No comparison.

And repeating, Boras and Drew blew it big time turning down $14.1M for one year.

Arroyo pitched in the non-DH league, in a weaker hitting division, and a weaker hitting league.

3 year WAR:

Dempster 6.9

Arroyo       1.7

Other 2013 numbers:

For the money saved by trading Dempster, we might be able to acquire 2 decent role players in July.

[/QUOTE]

What does WAR matter? Your's or someone else's analysis on Stephen Drew WAR said he should have been signed right away because his WAR was better than 65% of SS's in MLB, yet where is he?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

3 year WAR:

Dempster 6.9

Arroyo       1.7

Other 2013 numbers:

[/QUOTE]

What does WAR matter? Your's or someone else's analysis on Stephen Drew WAR said he should have been signed right away because his WAR was better than 65% of SS's in MLB, yet where is he?

Comparing Dempster's and Arroyo's WAR has nothing to do with signing Drew.

You used ERA and W-Ls to say that there was "no comparison" between the two. Do you really think you can compare a NL pitcher's ERA to an AL pitcher's ERA without making any adjustment?

They are about as close as you can get in so many ways: age, last 3 year , and last year's numbers. WAR is not everything, but it is certainly a better tool than comparing two pitcher's ERAs from different leagues and home ball parks.

Dempster had a 4.03 ERA away and a 2.57 ERA vs the NL in 2013.

Arroyo had a 4.31 road ERA and a 7.48 ERA vs the AL last year.

Think these numbers mean anything at all?

Adjust the numbers accordingly, and the two are very similar, in fact, I give the edge to Dempster over the last 3 years, 2 years or 1 year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Moon makes a compelling argument.

To address the Bronson Arroyo/Ryan Dempster comp from another angle, was the two-year, $23.5 million contract the Diamondbacks gave Arroyo a wise one?

Two FanGraphs columnists offer their analyses:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondbacks-take-a-two-year-chance-on-era/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-hidden-problem-with-bronson-arroyo/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Moon makes a compelling argument.

To attack the Bronson Arroyo/Ryan Dempster comp from another angle, was the two-year, $23.5 million contract the Diamondbacks gave Arroyo a wise one?

Two FanGraphs columnists offer their analyses:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondbacks-take-a-two-year-chance-on-era/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-hidden-problem-with-bronson-arroyo/

Great articles, hill. Thanks.

Mistake or not, a MLB GM paid $23.5M for 2 years to a guy the same age as Dempster and pretty close to the same resume as Ryan.

Dempster is only a one year gamble for a GM- not two.

Dempster has not just come off 8 straight years of 199+ IP like Arroyo, so in my opinion, he is less likely to break down at this age.

If we pay $2-3M of his deal, he'd even be cheaper than Arroyo per year, so I am certain some GM will take Dempster at $10-11M. 

With $10M in the bank, we'd have great flexibility to plus a hole or two this summer.

Sections
Shortcuts