Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

Moon makes a compelling argument.

To attack the Bronson Arroyo/Ryan Dempster comp from another angle, was the two-year, $23.5 million contract the Diamondbacks gave Arroyo a wise one?

Two FanGraphs columnists offer their analyses:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondbacks-take-a-two-year-chance-on-era/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-hidden-problem-with-bronson-arroyo/

Mistake or not, a MLB GM paid $23.5M for 2 years to a guy the same age as Dempster and pretty close to the same resume as Ryan.

Dempster is only a one year gamble for a GM- not two.

Dempster has not just come off 8 straight years of 199+ IP like Arroyo, so in my opinion, he is less likely to break down at this age.

If we pay $2-3M of his deal, he'd even be cheaper than Arroyo per year, so I am certain some GM will take Dempster at $10-11M. 

With $10M in the bank, we'd have great flexibility to plus a hole or two this summer.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10423586/paul-maholm-finalizing-deal-los-angeles-dodgers

1/$1.5M for Mulholm from the cash-rich Dodgers. Mulhom is not the best comp for Dempster and not as good, but he is younger at 31 and is a similar back-of-the-rotation workhorse type. The Dodgers must have kicked  the tires on Dempster as part of their due diligance. Ben must be thinking like you (unless you actually are Ben) and holding out for the desperate GM who has a starter go down in April.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1/$1.5M for Mulholm from the cash-rich Dodgers. Mulhom is not the best comp for Dempster and not as good, but he is younger at 31 and is a similar back-of-the-rotation workhorse type. The Dodgers must have kicked  the tires on Dempster as part of their due diligance. Ben must be thinking like you (unless you actually are Ben) and holding out for the desperate GM who has a starter go down in April.

I admit, I am surprised by the low cost of Maholm; perhaps he has health issues. His low cost is a strong argument against any team wanting Dempster for about $9-10M out of his $13.25 owed, but there are a few other cases like Arroyo that show Dempster is worth about $9-12M on the open market. The one year left on his contract is also a plus in our favor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Xander Bogaerts reportedly has 42 days of MLB service and would need to be in the minors for at least that long to add a year of team control. A Memorial Day call-up should preserve that additional year but would result in Super Two status down the road if Bogaerts maintains continuous MLB status.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Dempster has not just come off 8 straight years of 199+ IP like Arroyo, so in my opinion, he is less likely to break down at this age.

Ryan Dempster is less than two years removed from a stint on the disabled list.

Bronson Arroyo's durability may be his strongest selling point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

To attack the Bronson Arroyo/Ryan Dempster comp from another angle, was the two-year, $23.5 million contract the Diamondbacks gave Arroyo a wise one?

Great articles, hill. Thanks.

Mistake or not, a MLB GM paid $23.5M for 2 years to a guy the same age as Dempster and pretty close to the same resume as Ryan.

If we pay $2-3M of his deal, he'd even be cheaper than Arroyo per year, so I am certain some GM will take Dempster at $10-11M. 

With $10M in the bank, we'd have great flexibility to plus a hole or two this summer.

Pretty amazing, isn't it. Dempster stinks yet he is going to get paid what-$13M this year-because he can pitch a lot of innings?? You cannot turn dog p*oop into caviar simply by having more of it. Frankly, if Dempster is with our team this year I would rather he NOT pitch 199+ innings. Crap is not improved by making more of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Pretty amazing, isn't it. Dempster stinks yet he is going to get paid what-$13M this year-because he can pitch a lot of innings?? You cannot turn dog p*oop into caviar simply by having more of it. Frankly, if Dempster is with our team this year I would rather he NOT pitch 199+ innings. Crap is not improved by making more of it.

It doesn't matter how right or wrong you are or Moon is.  All that matters is that if there is just ONE G.M. who would eat Dempsters salary or a portion of it then that is all it would take to ship him out of Boston.

Like Dempster or not, precedent has shown us that there is likely a G.M. out there who would give us that at some point this season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Normally, I'd agree, but a 37 year pitcher with 8 straight years over 199 innings scares me more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It doesn't matter how right or wrong you are or Moon is.  All that matters is that if there is just ONE G.M. who would eat Dempsters salary or a portion of it then that is all it would take to ship him out of Boston.

Like Dempster or not, precedent has shown us that there is likely a G.M. out there who would give us that at some point this season. 

Yes, that's the simple way of looking at it.

Here's another way: if we did not have Dempster, and we had about $14M in budget space, would anyone here be calling for us to sign him for $13.25M/1 year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Here's another way: if we did not have Dempster, and we had about $14M in budget space, would anyone here be calling for us to sign him for $13.25M/1 year?

Probably not, but if we had a hole in our rotation and very little depth in the minors I thnk some would make an argument to try and bring him in here on a 1 year deal, maybe not at 13.25 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Probably not, but if we had a hole in our rotation and very little depth in the minors I thnk some would make an argument to try and bring him in here on a 1 year deal, maybe not at 13.25 million.

isnt that exactly what we did last offseason? sign Dempster because we had some budget space and a NEED for a dependable innings eater at the BOTR?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

My point was that its amazing that in baseball some GM is likely going to believe that a guy of Dempster's "quality" is worth that much money to his team. The guy is not very good at all, yet he will make $13M this year. Fortunately, we do not need him. If we can dump him, even if we get nothing but cap relief, we should do it ASAP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

13 million doesn't buy what it once did.  In terms of starting pitching 15 million barely gets you a average starting pitcher.

Dempster also had a track record showing an ability to give innings...that is well worth 13 million.  Yes it didn't happen last year, but get used to mediocre players getting big money. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Normally, I'd agree, but a 37 year pitcher with 8 straight years over 199 innings scares me more.

Ryan Dempster, who turns 37 in May, has 2,387 career innings and a DL stint in the last two years, while Bronson Arroyo, who turns 37 this month, had 2,278.2 career innings, apparently without a DL stint.

On the isolated issue of durability, I'd take chances with Arroyo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

13 million doesn't buy what it once did.  In terms of starting pitching 15 million barely gets you a average starting pitcher.

Dempster also had a track record showing an ability to give innings...that is well worth 13 million.  Yes it didn't happen last year, but get used to mediocre players getting big money. 

although I agree that hes slightly overpaid, people have to remember that we were asking for less years for a slightly higher AAV. Im willing to bet that Dempster would have got closer to 10-12M if he got 3 years. They overpaid for a reason and if they decide to move him, Im pretty sure, depending on the team, that they will pay 10M for his services, experience, leadership and the ability to give them innings and keep them in the game.

Pitching salaries have gone way up and will continue to do so. You get a solid M-BOTR pitcher for 12-15M nowadays. Why do you think teams are locking up their top young pitching for years to come.

The Sox plan to overpay for less years worked to perfection last year and NOBODY should be complaining. Dempster was pretty solid the first half and got no run support, then the groin issue hampered him. He never complained about anything either. He helped a depleted BP last year and I have not issue with what he was paid.

With that said, I agree with Moon that his 13.25 off the books would help in 2014 and I think we have plenty of arms to get that job done. I truly believe Workman could give them 20 starts if he had to. heck, I think he could give them more. He had about 150IP total last year and should be able to give 180IP if needed. Webster, Barnes, Wright, Hijonosa, and Ranaudo can all contribute at some point this year too. So, last year Dempsters salary was well worth it. This year, we have the arms to cover it if needed for that role. If he was in the rotation, I might be thinking differently. But since hes slated to be the 6th starter, although an important job, is getting too much for that role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ryan Dempster, who turns 37 in May, has 2,387 career innings and a DL stint in the last two years, while Bronson Arroyo, who turns 37 this month, had 2,278.2 career innings, apparently without a DL stint.

On the isolated issue of durability, I'd take chances with Arroyo.

what was dempsters injury Hill?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

although I agree that hes slightly overpaid, people have to remember that we were asking for less years for a slightly higher AAV. Im willing to bet that Dempster would have got closer to 10-12M if he got 3 years. They overpaid for a reason and if they decide to move him, Im pretty sure, depending on the team, that they will pay 10M for his services, experience, leadership and the ability to give them innings and keep them in the game.

Pitching salaries have gone way up and will continue to do so. You get a solid M-BOTR pitcher for 12-15M nowadays. Why do you think teams are locking up their top young pitching for years to come.

The Sox plan to overpay for less years worked to perfection last year and NOBODY should be complaining. Dempster was pretty solid the first half and got no run support, then the groin issue hampered him. He never complained about anything either. He helped a depleted BP last year and I have not issue with what he was paid.

With that said, I agree with Moon that his 13.25 off the books would help in 2014 and I think we have plenty of arms to get that job done. I truly believe Workman could give them 20 starts if he had to. heck, I think he could give them more. He had about 150IP total last year and should be able to give 180IP if needed. Webster, Barnes, Wright, Hijonosa, and Ranaudo can all contribute at some point this year too. So, last year Dempsters salary was well worth it. This year, we have the arms to cover it if needed for that role. If he was in the rotation, I might be thinking differently. But since hes slated to be the 6th starter, although an important job, is getting too much for that role.

Dempster was worth it last year because our younger SP were not ready to contribute in that role. Now they are, and that makes Dempster an appendix. He did the job for part of the year; for the rest of the time he was worse than mediocre.

On a side note, how many million dollars can one assign to the value of nailing AROD? That shows character, and its worth something. Or was last year anyway. I will always have a warm place in my heart for Dempster for doing what was right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Dempster was worth it last year because our younger SP were not ready to contribute in that role. Now they are, and that makes Dempster an appendix. He did the job for part of the year; for the rest of the time he was worse than mediocre.

On a side note, how many million dollars can one assign to the value of nailing AROD? That shows character, and its worth something. Or was last year anyway. I will always have a warm place in my heart for Dempster for doing what was right.

I think we all agree that dempsters paycheck doen not fit his role this year.

I also have a place in my heart for Dempster. Not only the A-Rod beaning, but being a complete team player and helping change that clubhouse atmosphere. They young kids can learn a thing or 2 from him, and hopefully they did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Dempster was not on our roster right now, and we had about $14M in budget space leftover, how many here would be advocating signing Dempster at 13.25M/1 year?

Be honest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

When I hear that the Sox are keeping dialogue open with Drew out of respect, but don't' expect him to sign and are taking infield practice with Bogaerts this week I hear something completely different.

This is speculation but In my head the Sox have an offer on the table to Drew that is something around a 1-2 year deal and likely less than 10 million per.  They probably are offering him a job as a utility/back infielder.  They understand he wants to start, and respects that he is good enough to on many teams and don't expect him to take the deal...but if he does that would be his place on the team.

Drew is likely holding out for a better offer, but probably has similar offers on the table that I forsee him taking at the 11th hour.  Possibly a 2-3 year deal in the 8-12 Mill per annum range.

I predict that in the next week he ends up signing with (in order of likelihood) METS, REDS, YANKEES, RED SOX.

we shall see. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Dempster was not on our roster right now, and we had about $14M in budget space leftover, how many here would be advocating signing Dempster at 413.25M/1 year?

Be honest.

I don't know I think 413.25 million is too much for one year.  Maybe I'd do 411.25 million for one year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If Dempster was not on our roster right now, and we had about $14M in budget space leftover, how many here would be advocating signing Dempster at 413.25M/1 year?

Be honest.

Flat out nobody.  Last year was a different situation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Be honest.

I don't know I think 413.25 million is too much for one year.  Maybe I'd do 411.25 million for one year. 

I would pay $413 million for Ryan Demster. Eat your heart out, Kershaw.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

typo guys...

Who here would offer Dempster a $13.25M one year deal, if he wasn't on our team right now?

Seriously.

Some team, desperate for a SP, might pay $9-10M for him, but he's not worth that money to us. We will need that money to fill some holes that develope as the season goes on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When I hear that the Sox are keeping dialogue open with Drew out of respect, but don't' expect him to sign and are taking infield practice with Bogaerts this week I hear something completely different.

This is speculation but In my head the Sox have an offer on the table to Drew that is something around a 1-2 year deal and likely less than 10 million per.  They probably are offering him a job as a utility/back infielder.  They understand he wants to start, and respects that he is good enough to on many teams and don't expect him to take the deal...but if he does that would be his place on the team.

Drew is likely holding out for a better offer, but probably has similar offers on the table that I forsee him taking at the 11th hour.  Possibly a 2-3 year deal in the 8-12 Mill per annum range.

I predict that in the next week he ends up signing with (in order of likelihood) METS, REDS, YANKEES, RED SOX.

we shall see. 

I don't doubt there may be an offer on the table, but I seriously doubt there was any mention of a utility role.

I also think, if we sign Drew, he won't be a utility infielder. At worst he will platoon at SS (starting about 65% of the games). He may back-up Pedey the 2 games he rests. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Dempster may not be a guy who is particularly suited to the AL (see his numbers with Texas after the trade in 2012, and last year), which is what I was afraid of when we signed him...but he was a pretty good pitcher in the NL for quite a few years, which is easy to forget. He was having his best season in 2012 before being traded.

He is nothing more than a back of the rotation pitcher in Boston, but that hardly means he's worthless. I find it hard to believe some team won't see some value there.

Hey Flapjack,

I think Dempster has a double edged sword in his arsenal like many aging starters.  His off speed stuff is great when he gets it over the plate otherwise he tends to walk a few batters.  His fastball doesn't have the zip it once did and (more often than not) is thrown right down the center of the plate.  It's an easy read for any intelligent batter and they normally make him pay dearly for throwing it.  If he could hit the corners more, or maybe get a bit more help from the umps he may hang a bit longer ortherwise his careeer is winding down.

Sections
Shortcuts