Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon makes a compelling argument.

To address the Bronson Arroyo/Ryan Dempster comp from another angle, was the two-year, $23.5 million contract the Diamondbacks gave Arroyo a wise one?

Two FanGraphs columnists offer their analyses:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondbacks-take-a-two-year-chance-on-era/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-hidden-problem-with-bronson-arroyo/

[/QUOTE]

I agree both good reads

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

typo guys...

Who here would offer Dempster a $13.25M one year deal, if he wasn't on our team right now?

Seriously.

Some team, desperate for a SP, might pay $9-10M for him, but he's not worth that money to us. We will need that money to fill some holes that develope as the season goes on.

[/QUOTE]

Demp's lost a few MPH's on his fastball but still throws it right down the center of the plate in most cases which batters jump all over when he can't get his good off speed stuff over.  I agree someone could use the guy and would probably be willing to pay that amount for his services. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If Dempster was not on our roster right now, and we had about $14M in budget space leftover, how many here would be advocating signing Dempster at 413.25M/1 year?

Be honest.

[/QUOTE]

Flat out nobody.  Last year was a different situation.

[/QUOTE]

I agree guys, Dempster has probably seen his last long term contract.  I can see a team signing him for a couple of years at a discount from our offer.  Nothing more unless he can learn to hit corners more with that "bulls eye" 89/91 MPH fastball everyone sits on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I sincerely doubt Drew is platooned.  A starter is rarely platooned, very rarely...they are starters for reasons.  I think it is even more unlikely an elite top prospect in Bogaerts platoons as well.  Both are rare, and combined is even more unlikely.

My scanerio is even more unlikely, I admit, which is why I don't think it will ever happen.  i think the Sox know this too, but there is no other role with the team and they seem pretty adamant at this point with rolling with Bogaerts.

I think they are politely showing Drew the door.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I sincerely doubt Drew is platooned.  A starter is rarely platooned, very rarely...they are starters for reasons.  I think it is even more unlikely an elite top prospect in Bogaerts platoons as well.  Both are rare, and combined is even more unlikely.

My scanerio is even more unlikely, I admit, which is why I don't think it will ever happen.  i think the Sox know this too, but there is no other role with the team and they seem pretty adamant at this point with rolling with Bogaerts.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I agree with not signing Drew.

For the record, if we do sign Drew, it will not be as a utility IF'er or platoon SS, but I could see John "resting" Drew vs maybe half the LH'd starters. He's still get 550 PAs, if healthy.

In my opinion, there are much better ways to spend $8-11M than on Drew or Dempster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

typo guys...

Haha...obviously, Moon.

Although I thought you might have been providing an answer to Pumpsie-Green's question of how much money beaning A-Rod was worth. Tongue Out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

If Dempster was not on our roster right now, and we had about $14M in budget space leftover, how many here would be advocating signing Dempster at 13.25M/1 year?

Be honest.

[/QUOTE]

we dont really need him like we did last year, so no, of course we wouldnt sign him. last years situation was different. We had some kids who werent ready yet. This year, we have a number of possibilites besides Dempster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I agree with not signing Drew.

For the record, if we do sign Drew, it will not be as a utility IF'er or platoon SS, but I could see John "resting" Drew vs maybe half the LH'd starters. He's still get 550 PAs, if healthy.

In my opinion, there are much better ways to spend $8-11M than on Drew or Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

Ok so both agree on what should happen, and what will likely happen.  We just disagree on what should/could happen in a hypothetical scenario that is unlikely but not terribly unlikely...lol.  But I do agree that we could find much better ways of spending 8-11 million dollars.  For all we know that money may be used to lock up Lester and Ortiz.  Of course on second thought those deals probably wouldn't kick in until at least next year and I suspect Ortiz will carry a lower AAV.

I do think we will see things unfold very shortly here.  

I do think that what is happening this offseason will affect what will happen next year.  Players are learning that teams value their picks.  However I also think that it is near impossibly that the crop of free agents left goes unsigned heading into ST.  Someone is going to want Drew/Jiminez/Santana/Morales.  I have a hunch that they have offers but the market is just so much more depressed than they though that they are holding out, or perhaps visa versa, but in the end I see them settling. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When I hear that the Sox are keeping dialogue open with Drew out of respect, but don't' expect him to sign and are taking infield practice with Bogaerts this week I hear something completely different.

This is speculation but In my head the Sox have an offer on the table to Drew that is something around a 1-2 year deal and likely less than 10 million per.  They probably are offering him a job as a utility/back infielder.  They understand he wants to start, and respects that he is good enough to on many teams and don't expect him to take the deal...but if he does that would be his place on the team.

Drew is likely holding out for a better offer, but probably has similar offers on the table that I forsee him taking at the 11th hour.  Possibly a 2-3 year deal in the 8-12 Mill per annum range.

I predict that in the next week he ends up signing with (in order of likelihood) METS, REDS, YANKEES, RED SOX.

we shall see. 

I don't doubt there may be an offer on the table, but I seriously doubt there was any mention of a utility role.

I also think, if we sign Drew, he won't be a utility infielder. At worst he will platoon at SS (starting about 65% of the games). He may back-up Pedey the 2 games he rests. 

There was mention that if he did come here, he would not just be playing SS. not a platoon, but just playing multiple psoitions throughout the year. And Im sure theres at least a 1yr low $$ offer on the table. Ben is ready to give the kids a chance., but if he can get Drew for another year at a low cost, why not...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm kind of playing devils advocate here but should we really dump salary for nothing in return just for the sake of dumping salary???

We won't get anything in return for Dempster, possibly a minor league guy who would be a good depth option.  So perhaps we can get a AAAA corner outfielder who has the arm for right. 

So really we might be trading pitching depth for outfield depth.  Of course we are shedding some salary. But that salary would be off the books next year and likely wouldn't be used for much this year.  It's not like they can pump that money into the draft or lower ticket prices.

I suppose from the business aspect there is more than just the payroll and avoiding the luxury tax.  Personally I wouldn't mind taking that 8-10 million and competing with the Yankees later this year in blowing up the international market after July 2nd. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When I hear that the Sox are keeping dialogue open with Drew out of respect, but don't' expect him to sign and are taking infield practice with Bogaerts this week I hear something completely different.

This is speculation but In my head the Sox have an offer on the table to Drew that is something around a 1-2 year deal and likely less than 10 million per.  They probably are offering him a job as a utility/back infielder.  They understand he wants to start, and respects that he is good enough to on many teams and don't expect him to take the deal...but if he does that would be his place on the team.

Drew is likely holding out for a better offer, but probably has similar offers on the table that I forsee him taking at the 11th hour.  Possibly a 2-3 year deal in the 8-12 Mill per annum range.

I predict that in the next week he ends up signing with (in order of likelihood) METS, REDS, YANKEES, RED SOX.

we shall see. 

I don't doubt there may be an offer on the table, but I seriously doubt there was any mention of a utility role.

I also think, if we sign Drew, he won't be a utility infielder. At worst he will platoon at SS (starting about 65% of the games). He may back-up Pedey the 2 games he rests. 

There was mention that if he did come here, he would not just be playing SS. not a platoon, but just playing multiple psoitions throughout the year. And Im sure theres at least a 1yr low $$ offer on the table. Ben is ready to give the kids a chance., but if he can get Drew for another year at a low cost, why not...

[/QUOTE]

sounds like a super utility guy to me.  I suspect he would play 3B/SS/2nd.  I heard those rumors myself but I forget where. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we shall see. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I really think that a GOOD veteran presence in the infield is what this yeam needs.  Our up the middle defense and the power ally to the left consists of WMB, Bogy, AJP, JBJ, Gomes and Nava.  Not exactly the most stellar defense known to baseball with a lot of sub par fielding and inexperienced MLB fielders.  Having a Drew to 'shore things up' if we can get him below market value is VERY FAR from being a bad thing. 

I know that people really want to see the young guys get a chance and prove themselves......but this can be good and bad.  If WMB, JBJ and Boggy fail to produce....which is FAR FROM IMPOSSIBLE, then what?? 

We all saw last year that pitching, defense and depth wins championships......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I seriously doubt any "mention" of Drew playing anywhere but SS was made by a member of Sox management.

I'd rather "give the kids a chance", and the fact that we have Cecchini quickly closing in on ML readiness, make me feel more secure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I seriously doubt any "mention" of Drew playing anywhere but SS was made by a member of Sox management.

I'd rather "give the kids a chance", and the fact that we have Cecchini quickly closing in on ML readiness, make me feel more secure.

[/QUOTE]

I believe it wasn't a sox FO guy, it was Peter Garmmons who said that the Sox managment told Drew they would want him to play SS/2nd/3B. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe it wasn't a sox FO guy, it was Peter Garmmons who said that the Sox managment told Drew they would want him to play SS/2nd/3B. 

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense to me: Drew is a better defensive SS than Bogey and Bogey is probably a better fielding 3Bman than Drew, so we'd weaken two positions just to allow Bogey to learn defense at the ML level in the midst of what we hope will be a strong championship drive?

Maybe I am undervaluing the significance of moving a rookie between two positions, but I really think Bogey has the make-up to handle it- as he did last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I agree here. Marrero too (I could see him as a type of "poor man's Iglesias" if you're looking for a great glove shortstop, bat optional). There are some risks to going with youth, but I'm probably more willing to tolerate some uncertainty in that regard than a lot of people are.

Coming off a championship season that no one saw coming, I think Ben has earned some goodwill and patience for his youth movement. Having to sit through some growing pains with guys like WMB, Xander, JBJ, and soon others over the next year or two wouldn't faze me too much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense to me: Drew is a better defensive SS than Bogey and Bogey is probably a better fielding 3Bman than Drew, so we'd weaken two positions just to allow Bogey to learn defense at the ML level in the midst of what we hope will be a strong championship drive?

Maybe I am undervaluing the significance of moving a rookie between two positions, but I really think Bogey has the make-up to handle it- as he did last year.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I see.

The Sox have not openly said they've offered Drew a contract to come play multiple positions BUT...

- Drew has expressed his willingness to play multiple positions, there may be reason for that. 

-  The SOX HAVE said they think it is unfair to move Bogaerts from position to position and he will be playing strictly short stop.  You may be right that he has the makeup to do that, but the Sox have made it clear they are adamant (at least in the short run now) about his playing SS.

- And we have heard through sources close to the Sox that they have offered him a deal to play multiple positions.

I agree Drew would be better off playing ONE position. And I know how much you value Defense, but I think there is something to be said about a defensive unit as a whole and if a team can keep a team together intact as much as possible then they may be better off.  If Bogey is a SS, then the more time he gets playing up the middle with Pedey the better off they are.  

I also think, as I expressed earlier that the Sox do not expect Drew to take this offer, which is why Ben Charrington said they have kept an open dialogue to "be polite" or whatever he said. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree here. Marrero too (I could see him as a type of "poor man's Iglesias" if you're looking for a great glove shortstop, bat optional). There are some risks to going with youth, but I'm probably more willing to tolerate some uncertainty in that regard than a lot of people are.

Coming off a championship season that no one saw coming, I think Ben has earned some goodwill and patience for his youth movement. Having to sit through some growing pains with guys like WMB, Xander, JBJ, and soon others over the next year or two wouldn't faze me too much.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to bet that 2/3 of those guys will play at an above replacement level this year, and at least one of them plays at an all-star level. 

Yes they are rookies, yes rookies have growing pains...but sometimes they are studs and compete for MVP's and win rookies of the year.  These are all highly regarded and talented players....I highy doubt all 3 will falter.   We also have a strong core around them that other teams that go with their youth do NOT have. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Bogey is a SS, then the more time he gets playing up the middle with Pedey the better off they are.

But, clearly not "better off" for 2014. Yes, going forward, if Bogey is to be our SS of the future, but not for the here and now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

If Bogey is a SS, then the more time he gets playing up the middle with Pedey the better off they are.

But, clearly not "better off" for 2014. Yes, going forward, if Bogey is to be our SS of the future, but not for the here and now.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not, but I think that is the direction the Sox plan on going in. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It certainly appears that way, and I really have no problems with that direction.

The only reason the Drew question is still so "on the front burner" is because there really does not seem to be a fit for him anywhere right now, and his price may drop to the point where it becomes doable for the Sox (in the context of clearing budget space for him).

I do not want to give up a draft pick for one year of Drew and a possible marginal gain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It certainly appears that way, and I really have no problems with that direction.

The only reason the Drew question is still so "on the front burner" is because there really does not seem to be a fit for him anywhere right now, and his price may drop to the point where it becomes doable for the Sox (in the context of clearing budget space for him).

I do not want to give up a draft pick for one year of Drew and a possible marginal gain.

[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling Drew has an offer or two and just doesn't want to accep the a smaller AAV or years.  But at the end of the day I'm sure he has a better offer somewhere else than he does in Boston and I think he takes it, giving us another pick.  

Drew could be a Met very soon

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I read it Moon. Just also read another report that Xander will work out exclusively at SS, so it looks like unless Drew wants a 1yr low money deal to play multiple positions, hes not coming back. Cafardo wrote that story, so this pretty much confirms the 1st story I read in which Ben basically said the same thing .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I wonder what the Sox would have done with Drew if he had accepted the QO?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder what the Sox would have done with Drew if he had accepted the QO?

[/QUOTE]

I think he would have started at SS and the big battle would have been at third between WM and XB.

My guess is that Middy would have started with the attempt to increase his value.  If WM increased his value, they could either trade him or have XB waitings in the wings for drew's contract to expire.

Sections
Shortcuts