Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

In response to javaukti1's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

We don't win the WS without Drew. His defense was a big part of that along with his tag-team spectacular double plays working so well with Pedroia. I'll never understand why people underestimate the value of a veteran SS who can not only catch the ball, but knows what to do with it when he gets it. His value as insurance at that position is worth the money even if that is the case.

Let's not forget we were paying someone $9 million a year in AAA to possibly play that position with no MLB experience at all. We don't know how Bogaerts will pan out, and it will be a gamble if we don't have another option.

Having said that, the $9 million was worth it to have him help us win on another team. Just sayin'. That could've been us.

Drew now is kinda like the situation when Dempster was signed last year: we need him for depth for one year but may have to give two to sign him.

Not really.  Dempster wasn't our own FA last year and wasn't tied to draft pick compensation.  He also was signed to take a rotation spot....Drew is not needed to be a starter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

For me it's definitely not a question of Drew being unworthy, or not worth the money; I liked the original signing, valued his contributions last year, and have defended him here on numerous occasions.

Some of the main factors at play, in my opinion...

1. The comp pick. Yes, I admit I lust after draft picks and hope Ben continues to hoard them when at all possible. Teams are treating these comp picks like gold right now, and for good reason. If you doubt what a great draft can do for a franchise, look at 2011, which netted us Barnes, Swihart, Owens, Bradley, Betts, among others. (The Red Sox actually would have had the #24 pick as well but forfeited it for signing Crawford; the Rays would take righthander Taylor Guerrieri, a future BA top 100 guy, with that pick.)

2. What do you do with Middlebrooks? Some may brush this one off, but I believe the potential is still there and he could have a breakout season if healthy. If Drew is signed and Xander moved to third, do you stick Middy on the bench or in Pawtucket? He should be playing every day at the major league level, IMO. You could trade him, and I suppose the wild card here is what could you get in return, but it's likely that his value is at an all-time low after his 2013 results. With righthanded power in such short supply right now, giving up on him makes little sense.

(and a distant third), the proximity of other prospects for SS/3B. This is not so much a reason to let Drew walk as it does make the thought easier. We may gamble on Middlebrooks and lose, but Cecchini could be ready by later this season. Marrero is on the horizon as well. Not all of these young kids will turn into good major leaugers, but that's what makes the Red Sox' depth of talent in the farm system so valuable.

All things taken together, I don't think Drew provides enough of an upgrade over the team we already have to justify the cost - but that's mainly a philosophical thing on my part. I have no qualms about rolling the dice with the kids, but I can also understand why someone would be hesitant of that. Bottom line, Drew is a very solid player, and if he ends up coming back, I won't be complaining either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

For me it's definitely not a question of Drew being unworthy, or not worth the money; I liked the original signing, valued his contributions last year, and have defended him here on numerous occasions.

1. The comp pick. Yes, I admit I lust after draft picks and hope Ben continues to hoard them when at all possible. Teams are treating these comp picks like gold right now, and for good reason. If you doubt what a great draft can do for a franchise, look at 2011, which netted us Barnes, Swihart, Owens, Bradley, Betts, among others. (The Red Sox actually would have had the #24 pick as well but forfeited it for signing Crawford; the Rays would take righthander Taylor Guerrieri, a future BA top 100 guy, with that pick.)

2. What do you do with Middlebrooks? Some may brush this one off, but I believe the potential is still there and he could have a breakout season if healthy. If Drew is signed and Xander moved to third, do you stick Middy on the bench or in Pawtucket? He should be playing every day at the major league level, IMO. You could trade him, and I suppose the wild card here is what could you get in return, but it's likely that his value is at an all-time low after his 2013 results. With righthanded power in such short supply right now, giving up on him makes little sense.

(and a distant third), the proximity of other prospects for SS/3B. This is not so much a reason to let Drew walk as it does make the thought easier. We may gamble on Middlebrooks and lose, but Cecchini could be ready by later this season. Marrero is on the horizon as well. Not all of these young kids will turn into good major leaugers, but that's what makes the Red Sox' depth of talent in the farm system so valuable.

All things taken together, I don't think Drew provides enough of an upgrade over the team we already have to justify the cost - but that's mainly a philosophical thing on my part. I have no qualms about rolling the dice with the kids, but I can also understand why someone would be hesitant of that. Bottom line, Drew is a very solid player, and if he ends up coming back, I won't be complaining either.

I agree flapjack,

Middy's future in Boston will probably be determined by what he does this season.  I think the first three months of the season will be key for Bogy and JBJ as well.  If Bogy struggles at SS we already know he can handle 3B pretty well so that changes everything.  Signing Drew again would certainly be insurance against failure but I don't see him being worth the salary unless Middy fails, Bogy moves over and he is remains our starting SS for two or three years.

I read today Drew has been offered two years by the Sox but with the understanding he would be our utility IF.  I doubt that would satisfy Drew so he will probably end up elsewhere unless he wants to bet on Middy failing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is effectively almost my same line of thinking.  Drew may be more of a known commodity, but there is much more upside in a WMB/Bogaerts infield. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

This is effectively almost my same line of thinking.  Drew may be more of a known commodity, but there is much more upside in a WMB/Bogaerts infield. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I doubt Drew wants to play 2B, but if that's where the money is, he may take it.

I wonder how many offers he'd have right now had it not been for the QO offer and loss of draft pick attached to signing him.

BREAKING "STEPHEN DREW" NEWS: 2/18/2014

Apparently there are still a few very interested teams in Drew.  Reports state Boras has been working diligently along with the efforts from the FBI and CIA to uncover them. 

In a seperate more intriguing report it appears the Florida Marlins minor league A ball powerhouse "Jupiter Hammerheads" have offered Stephen Drew a 1 year 14mil offer to play 2B.  According to Drew representatives he may be willing to entertain the offer but Boras could not be reached for comment :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree. I thought having Drew last year was the right thing. 

Middlebrooks is a RH power-hitting 3B. That's hard to find nowadays, so let's see what he can do. Remember, take away the postseason -- no one hit and Drew was worse than Middlebrooks -- Middlebrooks' struggles last year was at the beginning of the year. When he came back, he showed a lot of improvement. So to me, that's enough to build on.

And if Bogaerts is the fututre SS, put him out there and let's go. So I wouldn't worry about Drew. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Reportedly there are 4 teams still in on Drew.  The REd Sox and the Mets are known to still be in on him and the other two are unknown.

The Yankees had an offer and pulled it off the table after Drew rejected it.

I'd say that the other two teams could very well be the Reds and the Pirates.  Although the Yankees could still very well be in as well and just keeping it all under the table.

Something could happen pretty soon here, it is almost the 11th hour.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/four-teams-still-in-on-stephen-drew.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

We don't win the WS without Drew. His defense was a big part of that along with his tag-team spectacular double plays working so well with Pedroia. I'll never understand why people underestimate the value of a veteran SS who can not only catch the ball, but knows what to do with it when he gets it. His value as insurance at that position is worth the money even if that is the case.

Let's not forget we were paying someone $9 million a year in AAA to possibly play that position with no MLB experience at all. We don't know how Bogaerts will pan out, and it will be a gamble if we don't have another option.

Having said that, the $9 million was worth it to have him help us win on another team. Just sayin'. That could've been us.

I do think Drew was a big contributor last year, but I'm not sure you can say we don't win a ring without him. If we did not have Drew, we'd have had Iggy and Bogey. I think we still win.

I agree moon, Iggy was playing amazing defense and probably would have hit better than Drew at SS by simply closing his eyes and swinging.  Bogy also played a solid 3B and got on base for us so I think we could have won without Drew.  But not without the Peavy trade that unfortunatey ended Iggys short career in Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to javaukti1's comment:

Drew now is kinda like the situation when Dempster was signed last year: we need him for depth for one year but may have to give two to sign him.

They need to give him a couple years. I doubt we would regret it. If anything, he'll be playing on a familiar team a second season and will probably be more comfortable at the plate not playing for a contract. But his defense is really what makes him so valuable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I do think Drew was a big contributor last year, but I'm not sure you can say we don't win a ring without him. If we did not have Drew, we'd have had Iggy and Bogey. I think we still win.

I don't believe that. Those amazing DB's so in tune with Pedroia are how veterans play. Yes, we may have had some of them, but certainly not the amount those two were able to accomplish together. There's really no way to measure how much it meant to the winnings overall getting out of so many innings early -- with and without men on base.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Reportedly there are 4 teams still in on Drew.  The REd Sox and the Mets are known to still be in on him and the other two are unknown.

I'd say that the other two teams could very well be the Reds and the Pirates.  Although the Yankees could still very well be in as well and just keeping it all under the table.

It will be interesting to see, if Drew doesn't sign with us, how he contributes to another team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

It will be interesting to see, if Drew doesn't sign with us, how he contributes to another team.

I think the Yankees would love to grab another one of our players and Boras collect another commission off of them.  I think the team that really could use him the most and should eventually sign Drew are the Mets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

All teams are low-balling at this point, things could change fast if their is an injury during Spring Training.
    When games start in Spring Training, more teams will evaluate what they have at SS position, (including the Sox), so for him no rush at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

All teams are low-balling at this point, things could change fast if their is an injury during Spring Training.
    When games start in Spring Training, more teams will evaluate what they have at SS position, (including the Sox), so for him no rush at this point.

In a way it it a rush for any team that signs him because Drew (like any player) needs to get into a decent rythem for the season and you can't do that by sitting out ST.  I don't think Drew ever expected it would take Boras this long to find him a deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Cruz just signed for $8M, it might not look too god for Drew and a big deal. The clock is ticking...

I'm not a big Cruz fan, and I really like the Nava-Gomes platoon in LF, but when I saw Cruz get only $8M, it made me wonder what we could have gotten for Nava in a trade, and then fill the LF slot with Cruz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

• Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts says he's well aware of rumors that Stephen Drew could return to the club, Mike Petraglia of WEEI.com reports. "You hear it every day, especially you media guys talk about it a lot," the infielder commented. Bogaerts figures to grab the Sox's starting shortstop job if Drew doesn't return.

i wanted drew back...but right now we should just go with what we have...be fair to bogaerts and middlebrooks...i'm sick of all this drew talk already...if he wanted to be here he would be here already.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I think the Yankees would love to grab another one of our players and Boras collect another commission off of them.  I think the team that really could use him the most and should eventually sign Drew are the Mets.

I'd rather he go to the Mets, the long-suffering younger brother of the Yankees. As I feel he definitely adds value, I never want to see him in pinstripes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I never want to see him in pinstripes.

I think he'd help the Yanks, but mostly if Jeter moves off SS, which he wont.

I also would rather the Yanks sign Drew than Santana, if it is either or choice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I also would rather the Yanks sign Drew than Santana, if it is either or choice.

I agree moon, Drew may help the Yankees but one more quality starter puts the Yankees in as good or better position than us to win the division if they can close out close games without Mo.  The Yankees should be in it all season regardless if they can stay healthy and get some quality production of guys like Jete and Tex.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Jeter may not have a choice. He may not last the season in that position at his age with, I believe, a bad ankle. Drew gives them a beyond solid back-up for more than one year which I never want to see happen. If it were up to me, I would take Drew just to keep that from happening. Yes, we lose a draft pick, but I like the idea of a weak infield on the Yankees rather than something solid for a few years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jeter may not have a choice. He may not last the season in that position at his age with, I believe, a bad ankle. Drew gives them a beyond solid back-up for more than one year which I never want to see happen. If it were up to me, I would take Drew just to keep that from happening. Yes, we lose a draft pick, but I like the idea of a weak infield on the Yankees rather than something solid for a few years.

We'll see, but if the worst fielding SS wouldn't move from SS for ARod, I doubt he will for B Ryan.

I don't see Yankee management forcing the move, but they should, even without Drew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• While Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada has reportedly shed some pounds, the club is nevertheless reportedly less than happy with his athletic form, reports Kevin Kernan of the New York Post. If that translates to an underwhelming start to camp, Kernan implies, there could be increasing impetus to sign Stephen Drew"I would not be surprised if we signed Drew," an official said, "but at the same time, I don't expect it to happen." 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

We'll see, but if the worst fielding SS wouldn't move from SS for ARod, I doubt he will for B Ryan.

I don't see Yankee management forcing the move, but they should, even without Drew.

It is ten years later, though, and Jeter is ten years older. I don't know if that will matter to him, but it should.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

But he doesn't know he's the worst fielding SS. They keep giving him GGs.

Sections
Shortcuts