Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bogey plays everyday, here or in Pawtucket.

I have a hard time seeing him not playing in Boston, but I have even a tougher time seeing him playing part time in Boston as opposed to playing every day in Pawtucket.

One way or another....Bogey is an everyday player. 

I understand your thought on Bogy playing every day but it really doesn't help our cause keeping him in the minors if he needs half a year or more to gain another year of control.  We struggled to hit lefties last season when both Middy and Drew were useless. 

Herrera isn't any better while Carp and Gomes are average players at best.

[/QUOTE]

I understand, but I still think that the Boston Red Sox management is going to play Bogaerts everyday somewhere, presumably in Boston. 

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

I think Bogy could get enough playing time against lefties for Drew and in a platoon with Middy if he struggles but time will tell.  I just don't want to see us fall into the same trend as last season before making the proper adjustments before it was too late.  Who knows maybe guys like Gomes, Drew or Middy will handle lefties more consistently next season I just don't see it.  I also think Herrera was basically a move out of desperation if Drew doesn't return because neither hit lefties.

[/QUOTE]

There is a better chance of Ortiz playing SS next season before Bogaerts ends up in ANY kind of platoon situation, or bounces back & forth between positions. My guess is that he is the starting SS when the Sox break camp.

There are plenty of people who think Bogaerts is going to stick at SS for the foreseeable future.  Here is an exact quote from Sox 3rd base coach, Brian Butterfield: "I am convinced he is going to be a shortstop until the day he retires." By the way, Butterfield is also the Sox' Infield Instructor.  As Hugh mentioned, it isn't a matter of whether or not he plays full time, it's "where" he plays full time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Or are you suggesting he platoons against LHP with Drew and takes over for Middy at 3B vs RHP.  Because I agree with the later (if Drew is signed)

I could see this happening, but how is Middy going to get enough playing time to prove anything?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or are you suggesting he platoons against LHP with Drew and takes over for Middy at 3B vs RHP.  Because I agree with the later (if Drew is signed)

I could see this happening, but how is Middy going to get enough playing time to prove anything?

[/QUOTE]

That Would be my concern too.  I think it's time to sink or swim with him.  With Bogey able to play SS and 3B and Cecchni/Maerrero/Betts closing in on the majors depth options are on the horizon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I have a hard time seeing him not playing in Boston, but I have even a tougher time seeing him playing part time in Boston as opposed to playing every day in Pawtucket.

I understand your thought on Bogy playing every day but it really doesn't help our cause keeping him in the minors if he needs half a year or more to gain another year of control.  We struggled to hit lefties last season when both Middy and Drew were useless. 

I understand, but I still think that the Boston Red Sox management is going to play Bogaerts everyday somewhere, presumably in Boston. 

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

I think Bogy could get enough playing time against lefties for Drew and in a platoon with Middy if he struggles but time will tell.  I just don't want to see us fall into the same trend as last season before making the proper adjustments before it was too late.  Who knows maybe guys like Gomes, Drew or Middy will handle lefties more consistently next season I just don't see it.  I also think Herrera was basically a move out of desperation if Drew doesn't return because neither hit lefties.

[/QUOTE]

How is Herrera a desperation move?

And clarify something for me.  Are you suggesting Bogaerts plays SS Vs lefties and rides the bench 60% of the time? Or are you suggesting he platoons against LHP with Drew and takes over for Middy at 3B vs RHP.  Because I agree with the later (if Drew is signed)

[/QUOTE]

Herrera and Drew are almost identical defensive SS's.  Offensively their best strength is against RHP so when and where Herrera plays if Drew is signed I really don't know unless Stephen gets hurt.  Herrera also played in Colorado where a lot of Stats seem to get skewed so who can really say his numbers won't decline like Gomes against a steady diet of better pitching?  Bogy in my opinion will probably be a better 3B and according to which articles one chooses to believe the Sox FO may agree.  I think Bogy should play over Herrera or Drew against lefties and as much or more than Middy against righties at 3B. 

I don't feel Middy or Bogy have earned the 3B position but to keep the kid fresh I would play him at SS and 3B like we did Iggy until we decide his strength and whether Middy improves his plate discipline.  If we don't sign Drew I would start Bogy at SS with Herrera as his compliment and Middy primarily at 3B, it simply makes more sense.  I'm also not sure why fans feel a youngster like Bogy needs to play every day just yet either, other than just wanting him to like JBJ and Iggy.  30/40 extra games at AAA isn't going to make a lick of difference in Bogy's progress.  I can also understand the FO or some fans wanting to get another Year of Bogy control but it depends on how long he would need to spend at AAA, or how much it may hurt us on the field at the big league level. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I think you sign him if the dollars fall enough.  The rotation of peddy, WMB, Drew, and Boggy can man the 3 infield spots well enough for me to drop the UINF.  When you sign drew simply tell him that no guarantees on playing time.  Between injuries, hot hands, slumps, and matchups I think they all get enough PT. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

[/QUOTE]

And clarify something for me.  Are you suggesting Bogaerts plays SS Vs lefties and rides the bench 60% of the time? Or are you suggesting he platoons against LHP with Drew and takes over for Middy at 3B vs RHP.  Because I agree with the later (if Drew is signed)

[/QUOTE]

Herrera and Drew are almost identical defensive SS's.  Offensively their best strength is against RHP so when and where Herrera plays if Drew is signed I really don't know unless Stephen gets hurt.  Herrera also played in Colorado where a lot of Stats seem to get skewed so who can really say his numbers won't decline like Gomes against a steady diet of better pitching?  Bogy in my opinion will probably be a better 3B and according to which articles one chooses to believe the Sox FO may agree.  I think Bogy should play over Herrera or Drew against lefties and as much or more than Middy against righties at 3B. 

I don't feel Middy or Bogy have earned the 3B position but to keep the kid fresh I would play him at SS and 3B like we did Iggy until we decide his strength and whether Middy improves his plate discipline.  If we don't sign Drew I would start Bogy at SS with Herrera as his compliment and Middy primarily at 3B, it simply makes more sense.  I'm also not sure why fans feel a youngster like Bogy needs to play every day just yet either, other than just wanting him to like JBJ and Iggy.  30/40 extra games at AAA isn't going to make a lick of difference in Bogy's progress.  I can also understand the FO or some fans wanting to get another Year of Bogy control but it depends on how long he would need to spend at AAA, or how much it may hurt us on the field at the big league level. 

[/QUOTE]

Ok but no team in baseball ever plays a player like Bogey part time, actually part timing a top prospect is effectively unheard of and it also doesn't abide by the sox philosophy.  Agree or disagree the Sox Front office has a reputation ofplanning players everyday who they feel are everyday players.  When someone is young and still learning you never take away their at bats.

Keep in mind Herrera was signed as a backup/bench guy.  I understand he doesn't have great numbers, but please try to understand that if he was a better player he would have a starting job.  How many teams have better back up s.h.o.r.t stops? Not many at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hugh,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok but no team in baseball ever plays a player like Bogey part time, actually part timing a top prospect is effectively unheard of and it also doesn't abide by the sox philosophy.  Agree or disagree the Sox Front office has a reputation ofplanning players everyday who they feel are everyday players.  When someone is young and still learning you never take away their at bats.

Keep in mind Herrera was signed as a backup/bench guy.  I understand he doesn't have great numbers, but please try to understand that if he was a better player he would have a starting job.  How many teams have better back up s.h.o.r.t stops? Not many at all.

[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong I feel the team is fine with Bogy starting and Herrera complimenting him, especially since Marrero may be in the wings.  I just don't see where Herrera gets playing time if we sign Drew but the added depth is great I agree for Pede at 2B as well.  My biggest concern was JBJ and Bogy starting up the middle which is why I love the Sizemore signing if it works. 

I know some people think JBJ and Bogy will be fine defensively and I agree but maybe not in their rookie season until they learn all the opposing ballparks.  I'm just being a bit more realistic by giving the kids room for error. Expecting greatness in their rookie season is a bit too optimistic for me.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From Jim Bowden at MLBTraderumors.com:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

• The Red Sox have made a two-year offer to Stephen Drew, one source told Bowden. The value of that reported offer is unclear, as is the date on which it was made.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's say we sign Drew, nobody gets hurt, and we trade Carp. During ST, Bogey works out at 3B & SS and Middy works out at 3B & 1B. Here is how the PAs could work out:

Drew  500 PAs (SS vs RHPs and a few vs LHPs)

Bogey 550 PAs (150 SS vs LHPs and 400 3B vs RHPs)

Middy 450 PAs (200 3B vs LHPs, 75 3B vs RHPs, 100 1B, and 75 DH)

Napoli 600 PAs (575 1B and 25 DH)

Ortiz   600 PAs (575 DH and 25 1B)

If anyone gets injured, the rest can easily take up the slack and end up with more PAs.

It's doable.

Herrera has an option left and could start in AAA.

(Note: I'm not saying I am for this plan or the idea of signing Drew, but just showing how it could be.) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Let's say we sign Drew, nobody gets hurt, and we trade Carp. During ST, Bogey works out at 3B & SS and Middy works out at 3B & 1B. Here is how the PAs could work out:

If anyone gets injured, the rest can easily take up the slack and end up with more PAs.

It's doable.

(Note: I'm not saying I am for this plan or the idea of signing Drew, but just showing how it could be.) 

Completely agree, plus 25-50+ PAs at 2B for Drew if/when Pedey is injured/rested.

An additional advantage of such a system is that it turns a UIF, marginal talent (Herrera?) into a game-ready, quality MLB starter (Drew).

Finally, there is a very good chance that one or more among Papi, Naps, Pedey, Midds and X will suffer a significant injury, the jury is still out on Midds, and I don't consider X to be a 2014 sure thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

It's doable.

It could definately work moon and I'm not sold on Drew either unless Bogy get his AB's against lefties and a lot of Middy's against righties to stay busy at both positions.  We have too many question marks moving forward with who plays where.  I guess it's a nice problem to have if we can keep the depth everywhere.  The only thing I'm not big on is Middy getting time over Lav at 1B.  We need to give Lav some playing time or trade him somewhere he can get a true shot.

Thanks for putting this together!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

It's doable.

It could definately work moon and I'm not sold on Drew either unless Bogy get his AB's against lefties and a lot of Middy's against righties to stay busy at both positions.  We have too many question marks moving forward with who plays where.  I guess it's a nice problem to have if we can keep the depth everywhere.  The only thing I'm not big on is Middy getting time over Lav at 1B.  We need to give Lav some playing time or trade him somewhere he can get a true shot.

[/QUOTE]

Lava will probably get his 1B PAs in AAA this year not MLB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

It's doable.

[/QUOTE]

Great in theory, but it would never happen.  If they do sign Drew, either Middlebrooks is traded before the season starts, or one of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks starts the year in Pawtucket.  They aren't going to play musical chairs in the infield.  I would be willing to bet anything on this.

They definitely aren't going to flip Bogaerts back & forth between SS & 3rd. There is also no way that all 3 of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts & Drew would all break camp in Boston to start the season. They aren't going to play Middlebrooks at 1st if Napoli is healthy.  None of those guys are going to be happy in any kind of platoon situation and Farrell isn't going to be happy to be put in that situation, either.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

It's doable.

Great in theory, but it would never happen.  If they do sign Drew, either Middlebrooks is traded before the season starts, or one of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks starts the year in Pawtucket.  They aren't going to play musical chairs in the infield.  I would be willing to bet anything on this.

They definitely aren't going to flip Bogaerts back & forth between SS & 3rd. There is also no way that all 3 of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts & Drew would all break camp in Boston to start the season. They aren't going to play Middlebrooks at 1st if Napoli is healthy.  None of those guys are going to be happy in any kind of platoon situation and Farrell isn't going to be happy to be put in that situation, either.  

#1So your saying if Middy starts the season at AAA, Bogy plays 3B and we have two SS's in Drew and Herrera who can't hit lefties?

#2 If Bogy starts the year at AAA to get another year of control with Middy at 3B we still have the same situation at SS even though Herrera still has a minor league option remaining?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense when we could cover our splits at 3B and SS with better all round depth.  I also disagree about the guys griping over platoon roles because neither Middy, Drew or Bogy have proven they should or could start every day against any type of pitching.  Too bad for them, if Nava and Gomes can do it they can to for the good of the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's doable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

#1 So your saying if Middy starts the season at AAA, Bogy plays 3B and we have two SS's in Drew and Herrera who can't hit lefties?

#2 If Bogy starts the year at AAA to get another year of control we have the same situation at SS?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense when we could cover our splits at 3B and SS with better all round depth.  I also disagree about the guys griping over platoon roles because neither Middy, Drew or Bogy have proven they should or could start every day against any type of pitching.  Too bad for them, if Nava and Gomes can do it they can to for the good of the team.

[/QUOTE]

Players with Bogaerts' talent don't come around often and when they do, they don't platoon. He will play full time at one position, whether it's SS or 3rd.  He would have to really struggle this spring to start the year in Pawtucket.  I get the "year of control" thing, but it becomes irrelevant if he has a good spring.  Try to find someone in baseball who doesn't think he's ready now.  Good luck.

If the Sox DO sign Drew, he's not going to play against righties only, regardless of the splits.  Farrell will give him a day off occasionally against a tough lefty, but he isn't going to platoon.  

Saying "they should do it for the team" is all well & good, but this isn't high school baseball.  It doesn't work that way.  Xander Bogaerts is the Sox most highly touted prospect in nearly 40 years (Fred Lynn maybe).  They aren't going to bounce him around between positions & he isn't going to be part of a platoon of any kind.  If Middlebrooks doesn't break camp as the starting 3rd baseman, he won't be in Boston to start the year.  He'll either be traded or start the year in Pawtucket.  He's not going to play some games at 1st & he's not going to be part of a 3 man platoon with Drew & Bogaerts.  Again, I will gladly wager anything on this.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

I think the fact that the Sox might still be in play for Drew has less to do with them having faith in WMB and more to do with the fact that Drew's market and price might seriously be depressed and the left side of the infield is an area where Boston has very little depth.

Yes Marrero and Cecchini are inching closer to the Bigs but neither has done anything above AA yet, and only one of them has good defense. 

I'm not disagreeing with those who think the Sox have their concerns about WMB, because I believe they do.  I just don't think they are giving up on him and still are preparing to have him likely starting the season at 3B.  But if the price is right and Drew can be brought back cheap for one more year, then why not???

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to interfere with this love fest for Drew but I think he should find somewhere else to play.  He is 31, Middlebrooks is 25.  Drew has moderate to weak power, Middlebrooks can hit 30 homers.  Oh yes, all those Middlebrook strikeouts you say?  Well surprise surprise, Drew is a strikeout machine himself.  Did you see him in the WS?  Have you noticed his K's have accelerated the past few seasons?  Middlebrooks was the best thing since sliced bread in 2012 but he has a tough sophomore season and people are ready to give up on him.  Sorry but not me.  We don't have a lot of power in our organization and you don't give up on a guy who can hit the long ball, is a good athlete and plays a good third base.  Just for the record, even with his off season he still was third on the team in home runs with 17.  I want Will and Bogey on the left side of our infield this coming season and for the next 10 or more.  Drew needs to go somewhere else.  He was signed as a one year stopgap.  T hat year is up and the stopgap is no longer needed.  He him leave.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's doable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

#1 So your saying if Middy starts the season at AAA, Bogy plays 3B and we have two SS's in Drew and Herrera who can't hit lefties?

#2 If Bogy starts the year at AAA to get another year of control we have the same situation at SS?

[/QUOTE]

Players with Bogaerts' talent don't come around often and when they do, they don't platoon. He will play full time at one position, whether it's SS or 3rd.  He would have to really struggle this spring to start the year in Pawtucket.  I get the "year of control" thing, but it becomes irrelevant if he has a good spring.  Try to find someone in baseball who doesn't think he's ready now.  Good luck.

If the Sox DO sign Drew, he's not going to play against righties only, regardless of the splits.  Farrell will give him a day off occasionally against a tough lefty, but he isn't going to platoon.  

Saying "they should do it for the team" is all well & good, but this isn't high school baseball.  It doesn't work that way.  Xander Bogaerts is the Sox most highly touted prospect in nearly 40 years (Fred Lynn maybe).  They aren't going to bounce him around between positions & he isn't going to be part of a platoon of any kind.  If Middlebrooks doesn't break camp as the starting 3rd baseman, he won't be in Boston to start the year.  He'll either be traded or start the year in Pawtucket.  He's not going to play some games at 1st & he's not going to be part of a 3 man platoon with Drew & Bogaerts.  Again, I will gladly wager anything on this.  

[/QUOTE]

Saying we should start Bogy every game just because of how highly he's ranked sounds more like another bandwagon Iggy, JBJ wish.  Regardless of the hype Bogy still has less than a year at the big league level at either 3B or SS.  Remember Brandon Wood?  The kid went from labeled the next power hitting SS/3B Stud to a complete dud.  I'm not saying Bogy is like Wood but he still has a lot to prove, especially at SS if Drew doesn't sign.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's doable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.  Firstbaseman Jack Roosevelt Robinson played 151 games at 1B in 1947, in 1948 he played 116 games at 2B, 30 at 1B, and 6 at 3B, and during his career played 748 games at 2B, 256 at 3B, 197 at 1B, 162 in the OF, and 1 at SS.

If X is half the player we all assume he is, I'm sure he can cope with playing a bit of both 3B and SS for a year or two.

If X is half the man we assume he is, I'm sure he'll be happy, pleased and proud to do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's doable.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Saying we should start Bogy every game just because of how highly he's ranked sounds more like another bandwagon Iggy, JBJ wish.  Regardless of the hype Bogy still has less than a year at the big league level at either 3B or SS.  Remember Brandon Wood?  The kid went from labeled the next power hitting SS/3B Stud to a complete dud.  I'm not saying Bogy is like Wood but he still has a lot to prove, especially at SS if Drew doesn't sign.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, we'll agree to disagree.  I don't think there will be any "doubts" about Xander Bogaerts after 2014, though.  I can appreciate your skepticism, it's your birthright as a Sox fan, but again, it doesn't matter what we think.  The Sox are going to play the kid every day.  

Players always say that there are certain guys who walk on the field for the first time and you just know they are going to be superstars (Griffey, Jeter, Trout, Ripken, A-Rod to name a few). I'm not saying he's going to be in the same class as any of those guys, but Boras isn't the only person in baseball who thinks he's going to be a top 5 player in baseball, and sooner rather than later.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Can we agree that "platoon" is not the same as "playing multiple positions"?  Because it is not!  

Lots of great young players throughout history have played multiple positions when young or even throughout their career!

Biggio was a C/OFer by age 24.  Thirdbaseman Ryne Sandberg wasn't traumatised by his move to 2B at age 22.  Michael Young* managed to move around the diamond in his 20s without imploding.

FFS, if X is the athlete/talent we assume we is....how can one possibly imagine playing a bit of SS and 3B for a year or two is going to hurt him?  It will help him!  To paraphrase Mrs. Reverend Timothy Lovejoy:  Please, please, won't somebody think about the Aruban!

* Bill-666:  Michael Young is half Mexican and has a Mexican wife.  What was it you said about Mexico?  Was it "nothing good has ever come from Mexico"?  And, worse, their horrible mixed-race children are named "Mateo, Emilio, and Antonio"!  Why not proper American (i.e. European) names like Bill, Bob and Dick?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can we agree that "platoon" is not the same as "playing multiple positions"?  Because it is not!  

Lots of great young players throughout history have played multiple positions when young or even throughout their career!

Biggio was a C/OFer by age 24.  Thirdbaseman Ryne Sandberg wasn't traumatised by his move to 2B at age 22.  Michael Young* managed to move around the diamond in his 20s without imploding.

FFS, if X is the athlete/talent we assume we is....how can one possibly imagine playing a bit of SS and 3B for a year or two is going to hurt him?  It will help him!  To paraphrase Mrs. Reverend Timothy Lovejoy:  Please, please, won't somebody think about the Aruban!

* Bill-666:  Michael Young is half Mexican and has a Mexican wife.  What was it you said about Mexico?  Was it "nothing good has ever come from Mexico"?  And, worse, their horrible mixed-race children are named "Mateo, Emilio, and Antonio"!  Why not proper American (i.e. European) names like Bill, Bob and Dick?

[/QUOTE]

Okay, being part of a platoon isn't the same as playing multiple positions.  That being said, the Sox aren't going to open the 2014 season with Middlebrooks, Bogaerts & Drew on the 25 man roster.  Again, I'm gladly taking any wagers on this.  My guess is that this won't even be discussed again in the very near future.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Note: I am not for signing Drew.

I'd prefer to spend Dempster's money elsewhere and keep the draft pick.

I would, however, prefer Drew to Dempster, if those were my only 2 choices.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Note: I am not for signing Drew.

I'd prefer to spend Dempster's money elsewhere and keep the draft pick.

I would, however, prefer Drew to Dempster, if those were my only 2 choices.

[/QUOTE]

I've been in favour of re-signing Drew all winter and remain so for reasons we've discussed tonight.  Dempster?  I was in favour of all our signings last winter though Dempster was my least favourite of them in terms of expectations and (though still relatively short) length.

But compare him to recent FA pitchers' contracts!  Not a bargain, but not at all out of line. How many teams have 5th/6th starters better than Dempster?

It's just the broken-down old moaners moaning again.  If the Red Sox signed the 25-year old Ruth, Mays, Mantle and Charbonneau to minor league contracts this winter, my Denny Noire and the other burned-out complainers would b1tch and moan about how Charbonneau was another idiotic move by the moronic Cherington and his ignorant henchmen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First off Drew isn't a member of this team as we chat. Bogey will probably have to learn another position and 3B is ok for now , but Cecchini is closing fast and he has hammered every level they've put him at, SS has Marrero closing in at about the same speed as Cecchini. The guy they have been hyping has been the 16 year old Devers another 3B man. Then if you add in Mookie Betts into the mix it could get down right busy at the SS/3B positions in the next 2-3 years. As for any potential trades I'm sure there have been several trades discussed since the end of last season. I don't know what the level of interest the Sox have in Chisek as I have read any rumors pertaining to any trades with the Marlins since both teams weren't about to trade the guy the other team wanted in Stanton and Bogaerts. We have less than 2 weeks before ST begins so let the games begin!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First off Drew isn't a member of this team as we chat. Bogey will probably have to learn another position and 3B is ok for now , but Cecchini is closing fast and he has hammered every level they've put him at, SS has Marrero closing in at about the same speed as Cecchini. The guy they have been hyping has been the 16 year old Devers another 3B man. Then if you add in Mookie Betts into the mix it could get down right busy at the SS/3B positions in the next 2-3 years. As for any potential trades I'm sure there have been several trades discussed since the end of last season. I don't know what the level of interest the Sox have in Chisek as I have read any rumors pertaining to any trades with the Marlins since both teams weren't about to trade the guy the other team wanted in Stanton and Bogaerts. We have less than 2 weeks before ST begins so let the games begin!!

[/QUOTE]

If Checchini can develop more of a touch at 3B we may just have another high OBP player for many years who I think will develop more power in time.  The great thing about Garin is his hitting capability and the fact there are more positions than just 3B we can try him at.