Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt Drew wants to play 2B, but if that's where the money is, he may take it.

I wonder how many offers he'd have right now had it not been for the QO offer and loss of draft pick attached to signing him.

[/QUOTE]

I hear you moonslav59   Laughing

The same goes for Morales, Jimenez, Nelson Cruz and Ervin Santana.  

Despite not having a draft pick attached to him, I'm surprised that Arroyo has not been signed yet.  Yes he is up there in age but he has been one of the most consistent and injury-free pitchers out there.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I doubt Drew wants to play 2B, but if that's where the money is, he may take it.

I wonder how many offers he'd have right now had it not been for the QO offer and loss of draft pick attached to signing him.

I hear you moonslav59   Laughing

The same goes for Morales, Jimenez, Nelson Cruz and Ervin Santana.  

Despite not having a draft pick attached to him, I'm surprised that Arroyo has not been signed yet.  Yes he is up there in age but he has been one of the most consistent and injury-free pitchers out there.  

I read an article on Fox a couple days ago where Boras was bashing MLB for the (draft pick) ruling on certain FA's.  Poor Boras, that's what you get for promising your clients multi-year contracts for millions more than they deserve.  In my opinion it's good for baseball and more rules should be put into place to restrict some of these ridiculous contracts.

In recent years there is probably only a handful of top FA's who have actually earned their contract, one that comes to mind is Matt Holliday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24430077/reports-mets-red-sox-make-offers-to-stephen-drew

On the Stephen Drew front, things are reportedly quiet no more. The free agent shortstop and key member of the 2013 champion Red Sox has, according to reports, received an offer from the Mets and from the incumbent Red Sox.

First, WFAN's Mike Francesa reported on air that he Mets are officially in on Drew. Here's what Francesa told listeners, courtesy of CBS New York:

"It's number of years, they've already made him an offer. It's the number of years. They're fighting over the number of years. I know they have made him an offer … It's not the money. It doesn't matter if they did a refinance or not. They already offered him the money. It's a questions of years. They already made him an offer."

Elsewhere, a source tells ESPN's Jim Bowden that the Red Sox have made Drew a two-year offer.

Drew, age 30, is coming off a 2013 season in which he batted .253/.333/.443 (111 OPS+) for Boston with 13 homers and plus defense at short. For his career, Drew owns an OPS+ of 98 across parts of eight major-league seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I cant see Drew not jumping at a 2 year deal. Either its BS, or Boras is nuts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

I still think our best bet at 3B for years to come is Will Middlebrooks or Xander Bogaerts.

Cecchini looks like he will likely move to 1B or LF

Devers is hasn't played one inning state side and is 17, but early scouting reports are pessimistic about his defense.  Scouts say he has one of the nicest swings they've seen in a decade (at least one said the decade remark) but most think he is destined for first base. 

Betts is another story.  I'm optimistic that he can transition to CF or SS....but the more and more I think about it the most I think they may hold off until he is in Patucket, or at least gets his feet wet in Double A.  As many consider the jump from A to AA the most difficult they may want him to progress with his bat the position he is comfortable in.   Or we could see something inbetween where he gets a start or two a week at SS and plays 2nd the rest of the way. 

They moved Betts from SS to 2B, so I'm guessing they had their reasons. I doubt they move him back to SS.

DH or OF (Back-up IF'er)

[/QUOTE]

because there was a logjam at ss in the system. He can play all up the middle positions good besides catcher. strong arm, solid defense. This coming from himself as well as a couple people within the system. Hes a great athlete from all reports.

[/QUOTE]

Southpaw... please check your email.  

[/QUOTE]

I did. didnt see anything from you. I just emailed you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Its time for Bogaerts. He's big and strong and he has power. BA has him rated as the # 1 prospect for a reason, so forget AAA or and nonsense for this kid, put him at third and let him fly. Ideally we sign Drew to play SS but if the kids has to play SS so be it. His time is now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to jader's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its time for Bogaerts. He's big and strong and he has power. BA has him rated as the # 1 prospect for a reason, so forget AAA or and nonsense for this kid, put him at third and let him fly. Ideally we sign Drew to play SS but if the kids has to play SS so be it. His time is now.

[/QUOTE]

It's a clear no-confidence vote for WMiddlebrooks if the 2 yr offer to Drew is correct, with Bogaerts the present and future 3rd baseman. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why can't it be both?  Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What if Stephen Drew has two or more two-year offers? In that event, should Drew play the suitors against each other?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The mets have been in all along and I would think there might be another team or 2 in it for a 2 year deal. The Mets wont lose anything as their 1st rounder is protected. If he will switch to 2b or 3b the NYY def have a fit and the $$ to do it. The Sox could have a need.

All 3 teams would give a 2yr deal to Drew and have a need and the $$.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think we will look back and say, "Drew should have taken the QO of $14.1M/1."

He may end up with something like $16-19M/2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

I still think we will look back and say, "Drew should have taken the QO of $14.1M/1."

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that Drew will get a multi-year deal and it won't be for less than 10 per year.  It won't be in Boston, either way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

What if Stephen Drew has two or more two-year offers? In that event, should Drew play the suitors against each other?

What if there isn't. Which I dont think so. Also what if Ben is just looking for the Draft Pick anyway. Sox dont have to do too much here, if their plans are Bogaerts anyway. We'll offer you this, if you dont like it, thanks for last year, and move on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

What if there isn't. Which I dont think so. Also what if Ben is just looking for the Draft Pick anyway. Sox dont have to do too much here, if their plans are Bogaerts anyway. We'll offer you this, if you dont like it, thanks for last year, and move on.

I tend to agree our FO would probably be more than satisfied with the draft pick and starting Bogy at SS.  I'm fine with Bogy and Herrera as long as Middy and Sizemore can give the team some decent production at 3B and CF. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A New York Post columnist predicts the Red Sox will sign Stephen Drew to a two-year, $24 million contract:

http://nypost.com/2014/02/05/where-the-top-remaining-free-agents-will-go/

My understanding is that a contract with that salary would push the Red Sox over the luxury tax threshold, making the deal less likely unless the Sox have a trade of a starting pitcher in place once the top free agent starters sign.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that Drew will get a multi-year deal and it won't be for less than 10 per year.  It won't be in Boston, either way.

[/QUOTE]

you still think at this point he gets a 3/30 deal? Thats what I guessed at the start of the offseason too. Not as sure now though. If there are a couple/few teams interested, Im guessing the 2yrs could turn into 3. Should be interesting since ST (Pitchers & Catchers) opens in like 10 days...Never thought he would still be on the market in Feb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

A New York Post columnist predicts the Red Sox will sign Stephen Drew to a two-year, $24 million contract:

My understanding is that a contract with that salary would push the Red Sox over the luxury tax threshold, making the deal less likely unless the Sox have a trade of a starting pitcher in place once the top free agent starters sign.

[/QUOTE]

Im thinking the Sox would be more in the 8-10M range and would still have to move someone.

I also still think a pitcher will be gone before the end of ST.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree our FO would probably be more than satisfied with the draft pick and starting Bogy at SS.  I'm fine with Bogy and Herrera as long as Middy and Sizemore can give the team some decent production at 3B and CF. 

[/QUOTE]

I believe they would be Ok going into 2014 with Xander and WMB at SS and 3b, but if they have a chance to get Drew back at a good price, they love his steady play at SS right now better than Xander. I dont blame them. I think Xander could and will be a solid SS both offensively and defensively, but Drew is still a top 5 SS in all MLB.

Cecchini is in AAA at 3b, so theres no room for either Xander or Middy to go down and get playing time at 3b. If they sign Drew, I still believe that Middy could very well be gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Drew has some soul searching like Tek did after believing in Boras.  Stephen can either re-sign with Boston with another chance at a championship, or play for the Mets if there is even an offer out there.  Who knows with Boras?   

The only other team I can see saving Boras on this one would be the Yankees who love to sign our former players and have few options at SS with Jeter, the weak fielding Nunez etc. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe they would be Ok going into 2014 with Xander and WMB at SS and 3b, but if they have a chance to get Drew back at a good price, they love his steady play at SS right now better than Xander. I dont blame them. I think Xander could and will be a solid SS both offensively and defensively, but Drew is still a top 5 SS in all MLB.

Cecchini is in AAA at 3b, so theres no room for either Xander or Middy to go down and get playing time at 3b. If they sign Drew, I still believe that Middy could very well be gone.

[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised to see Checchini play more than half a season at 3B in AAA if he continues to struggle with the glove. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you still think at this point he gets a 3/30 deal? Thats what I guessed at the start of the offseason too. Not as sure now though. If there are a couple/few teams interested, Im guessing the 2yrs could turn into 3. Should be interesting since ST (Pitchers & Catchers) opens in like 10 days...Never thought he would still be on the market in Feb.

[/QUOTE]

Tough to tell at this point.  The Sox organization seems to be torn on Drew.  It sounds like there are some people who want the pick and prefer to start Bogaerts at SS, while others, certainly Farrell, prefer to sign Drew and start Bogaerts at 3rd.  It's no secret that Farrell was less than enthused with Middlebrooks "work habits" last season & he has a strong voice within the organization.  We'll see how it plays out, but I'm certain that all 3 of Drew, Bogaerts & Middlebrooks will not be on the roster on opening day, despite what a few beat writers have suggested.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Drew has some soul searching like Tek did after believing in Boras.  Stephen can either re-sign with Boston with another chance at a championship, or play for the Mets if there is even an offer out there.  Who knows with Boras?   

I'm confident that Scott Boras and any competent agent advises his or her client of the potential risks and potential benefits of each possible strategy. Ultimately the client makes the decisions. I'm sure the agency contract makes the appropriate caveats that no strategy guarantees positive results. For all we know, Stephen Drew could have rejected a Boras recommendation that he take the qualifying offer.

I'll reserve judgment until Drew signs a contract.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Boston Globe columnist Adam Kaufman opines that a Stephen Drew reunion with the Red Sox is "inevitable":

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/02/stephen_drews_return_to_red_sox_is_inevitable.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I'm confident that Scott Boras and any competent agent advises his or her client of the potential risks and potential benefits of each possible strategy. Ultimately the client makes the decisions. I'm sure the agency contract makes the appropriate caveats that no strategy guarantees positive results. For all we know, Stephen Drew could have rejected a Boras recommendation that he take the qualifying offer.

I'll reserve judgment until Drew signs a contract.

hill,

Even after Stephen signs we will never know for sure.  Herrera and Bogy compliment eachother as do Drew and Bogy so we really don't need Drew much at this point unless they have little faith in Middy's ability as our long term 3B.  I think a draft pick and the 20/24mil for a couple of years or so we give to Drew could be used in much better ways, as could Dempsters salary. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Drew's market took a nose dive when the Cards signed Perralta. Mozeliak didn't want to lose the pick, plus he didn't want an all lefthanded hitting infield. Craig will be playing RF. Sox really have all the leverage on this at this point.
    We might consider him a top 5 SS, but the GM's dont feel that way this off-season. He would have been signed, if all your losing is a Draft Pick.