Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Drew's market took a nose dive when the Cards signed Perralta. Mozeliak didn't want to lose the pick, plus he didn't want an all lefthanded hitting infield. Craig will be playing RF. Sox really have all the leverage on this at this point.
    We might consider him a top 5 SS, but the GM's dont feel that way this off-season. He would have been signed, if all your losing is a Draft Pick.

I agree, starting the year (as is) should only hurt if guys like Sizemore and Middy can't help our cause if Bogy and/or JBJ struggle.  Herrera actually hits righties pretty well and according to career FLG Stats he may be pretty equal to Drew defensively. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

My guess is that Drew will get a multi-year deal and it won't be for less than 10 per year.  It won't be in Boston, either way.

Boston Globe columnist Adam Kaufman opines that a Stephen Drew reunion with the Red Sox is "inevitable":

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/02/stephen_drews_return_to_red_sox_is_inevitable.html

Adam Kaufman is a good guy, but he is clearly "guessing" here.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

My guess is that Drew will get a multi-year deal and it won't be for less than 10 per year.  It won't be in Boston, either way.

Boston Globe columnist Adam Kaufman opines that a Stephen Drew reunion with the Red Sox is "inevitable":

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/02/stephen_drews_return_to_red_sox_is_inevitable.html

Adam Kaufman is a good guy, but he is clearly "guessing" here.  

I just don't see the Mets signing Drew to big money. I think Drew ends up here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav, I hope you are right.  I think Drew is the right guy for SS.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

He plays better D than Bogey, but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Is that true?  Better Defense than Bogey?  How do you figure that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Boston could dangle an opt-out clause of some kind to sweeten things for Drew, Heyman adds.

Not that I'm against offering him an opt-out per se, but it amuses me a little when someone makes suggestions for "sweetening things for Drew." Why? The Red Sox appear to hold all the leverage at this point. He would be nice to have, but they do not need him. This really is simple. Give him your best offer for what you think he's worth, and while he mulls his options, prepare to go into the season with Xander at SS and Middlebrooks at third.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Bogy will probably have his share of ups and dows at SS next season if we don't sign Drew.  The good in signing Drew would be if Middy continues to struggle, it would then move Bogy back to 3B and allow Drew more playing time which may also be a factor with him re-signing. 

The problem with bringing Drew back would be finding playing time for Herrera and the cap space.  Both Herrera and Drew's best strength offensively is against RHP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boston could dangle an opt-out clause of some kind to sweeten things for Drew, Heyman adds.

Not that I'm against offering him an opt-out per se, but it amuses me a little when someone makes suggestions for "sweetening things for Drew." Why? The Red Sox appear to hold all the leverage at this point. He would be nice to have, but they do not need him. This really is simple. Give him your best offer for what you think he's worth, and while he mulls his options, prepare to go into the season with Xander at SS and Middlebrooks at third.

I don't agree that the Red Sox (or any other team) holds all the leverage. I suspect Stephen Drew and his suitors are in a staredown at this point ... which is not unusual in negotiations.

Going into the season with Xander Bogaerts at shortstop and Will Middlebrooks at third base carries its own risks.

Absent the luxury tax issue, signing Drew might be a no-brainer for the Red Sox. With the potential luxury tax consequences, it's an interesting question.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not that I'm against offering him an opt-out per se, but it amuses me a little when someone makes suggestions for "sweetening things for Drew." Why? The Red Sox appear to hold all the leverage at this point. He would be nice to have, but they do not need him.

I rarely disagree with you Flapjack, but I don't think using the word 'need' fits.  Let's say for the sake of argument that the 2014 Drew is better than the 2014 Middlebrooks by the same margin as the 2013 version was.  In that case we'd clearly be a better team with Drew than without.

Until we know what the 2014 Middlebrooks will produce, we don't know if we really need Drew to make us a better team or not.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Not that I'm against offering him an opt-out per se, but it amuses me a little when someone makes suggestions for "sweetening things for Drew." Why? The Red Sox appear to hold all the leverage at this point. He would be nice to have, but they do not need him.

I rarely disagree with you Flapjack, but I don't think using the word 'need' fits.  Let's say for the sake of argument that the 2014 Drew is better than the 2014 Middlebrooks by the same margin as the 2013 version was.  In that case we'd clearly be a better team with Drew than without.

Until we know what the 2014 Middlebrooks will produce, we don't know if we really need Drew to make us a better team or not.  

Of course, it all depends on what Middlebrooks you're getting because there were two distinctive players. The April-May player and the Aug.-Sept. player.

You could make the case that the Sox underachieved last year in the regular season. What the Sox got from Middlebrooks and Drew in Aug. and Sept. is what they expected all season. Imagine if both players had produced like that together for six months instead of two months. Sox might have won 107, not 97. Well -- maybe won a couple of more games at least.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When healthy, Drew seems to be a top 10 defensive SS. Bogey has never been regarded as a good fielding SS, in fact, almost every scouting report written about him mentions him changing positions eventually. I take that for code meaning he's not that great on defense at SS.

I would not be surprised, if we sign Drew, Bogey ends up starting in AAA to better learn 3B. This also would allow his control years to stretch another year (into his prime) and for Middy to get a long look to start 2014. If Middy fails or gets hurt, then we have a great guy ready to step in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The problem with bringing Drew back would be finding playing time for Herrera and the cap space.  Both Herrera and Drew's best strength offensively is against RHP.

Herrera has 2 options left.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't agree that the Red Sox (or any other team) holds all the leverage. I suspect Stephen Drew and his suitors are in a staredown at this point ... which is not unusual in negotiations.

Going into the season with Xander Bogaerts at shortstop and Will Middlebrooks at third base carries its own risks.

Absent the luxury tax issue, signing Drew might be a no-brainer for the Red Sox. With the potential luxury tax consequences, it's an interesting question.

Trading Dempster or Peavy settles this issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I knew Herrera had one but two is never a bad thing.  I don't think it's quite what he hoped for but Drew's not back yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I knew Herrera had one but two is never a bad thing.  I don't think it's quite what he hoped for but Drew's not back yet.

Having Herrera in AAA is great infield depth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

When healthy, Drew seems to be a top 10 defensive SS. Bogey has never been regarded as a good fielding SS, in fact, almost every scouting report written about him mentions him changing positions eventually. I take that for code meaning he's not that great on defense at SS.

I would not be surprised, if we sign Drew, Bogey ends up starting in AAA to better learn 3B. This also would allow his control years to stretch another year (into his prime) and for Middy to get a long look to start 2014. If Middy fails or gets hurt, then we have a great guy ready to step in.

Bogy certainly won't be an Iggy's calibar SS but if can repeat last seasons dominance against lefties I think we will need him in the lineup.  We already went down that road last season struggling against lefties which is one reason Middy was demoted.

Not sure we should give Middy more than a few months to improve regardless and hopefully Sizemore regains his touch against lefties where he was even better than Jacoby.  We may only face lefties 30% of the time but thats more than enough to hurt us if we struggle. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

What if there isn't. Which I dont think so. Also what if Ben is just looking for the Draft Pick anyway. Sox dont have to do too much here, if their plans are Bogaerts anyway. We'll offer you this, if you dont like it, thanks for last year, and move on.

I tend to agree our FO would probably be more than satisfied with the draft pick and starting Bogy at SS.  I'm fine with Bogy and Herrera as long as Middy and Sizemore can give the team some decent production at 3B and CF. 

I believe they would be Ok going into 2014 with Xander and WMB at SS and 3b, but if they have a chance to get Drew back at a good price, they love his steady play at SS right now better than Xander. I dont blame them. I think Xander could and will be a solid SS both offensively and defensively, but Drew is still a top 5 SS in all MLB.

Cecchini is in AAA at 3b, so theres no room for either Xander or Middy to go down and get playing time at 3b. If they sign Drew, I still believe that Middy could very well be gone.

I would be surprised to see Checchini play more than half a season at 3B in AAA if he continues to struggle with the glove. 

They will give Cecchini plenty of time. Thats what AAA is for. To refine your game before the trip up I-95. Hes not bad defensively, but certainly could improve in some areas. Hes far from a liability, which would be the only reason they move him off 3b right now.

Marerro will probably be making the jump to AAA this season as well at SS. Things are getting crowded and the Sox will have some big decisions this year with some of their young talent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cecchini will be playing FT in AAA and those scouting reports about Xander moving off SS were 2-3 years ago. Most now say that he has improved a lot on defense, and although he could use more work, most see him sticking at SS for the long haul. That is unless they sign Drew. Marerro should be making the jump to SS at AAA this year as well.

Right now Xander is a better SS than a 3b, but hes learning 3b well having Butter there to help.

The advantage is that he could play either position, but him moving off SS will not be because they dont think he can do it, but more out of necessity and circumstances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Cecchini will be playing FT in AAA and those scouting reports about Xander moving off SS were 2-3 years ago. Most now say that he has improved a lot on defense, and although he could use more work, most see him sticking at SS for the long haul. That is unless they sign Drew. Marerro should be making the jump to SS at AAA this year as well.

Right now Xander is a better SS than a 3b, but hes learning 3b well having Butter there to help.

The advantage is that he could play either position, but him moving off SS will not be because they dont think he can do it, but more out of necessity and circumstances.

Also a lot of scouts who said he would move to 3B made those predictions in the context that he would grow into his body in his later 20s....thinking he would be a short stop for a few years before he moves.  One way or another, he's probably going to stay at SS for a few years, especially if he plays that position better. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Drew is quality depth from any angle.  It is insurance for all of the infield with injuries, or WMB or Bogaerts if they fail to perform.  Certainly rather have Drew on the roster than Herrera

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

• From MLBTraderumors.com:
    • One potential hangup in the Stephen Drew market could be the fact that Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz will be cleared to sign in two weeks. The 23-year-old was declared ineligible to sign after falsifying his age last year (Diaz claimed to be 23 then, in order to be eligible for MLB one year early). Morosi reminds that MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez listed (MLBTR link) the Red Sox and Yankees as two of eight clubs to have shown interest in Diaz back in December, and both have been linked to Drew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

To me, if a scouting report even mentions moving to another position, it means the guy is not projected to be a plus fielder. Yes, the talk of him moving to 3B has lessened, but I still see it being mentioned...

soxprospects today:

Plus arm.  Solid-average range, but may lose footspeed as he gets bigger.  Needs to slow the game down defensively and resist the feeling to rush plays. Inconsistent with footwork and staying down on the ball.  Choppy at times with his movements and reactions.Improvements in the field and physical development should allow Bogaerts to stick at shortstop for the outset of his big league career. If he needs to move off the position, has the tools to play either third base or left field...

Adam Wells (August 2013)

Will continue to develop as a shortstop unless he’s forced to move from position; also profiles as a third baseman or corner outfielder. Solid hands; plus arm strength; lacks quick feet and explosiveness for surefire up-the-middle future.

Playing shortstop, even if it is just at a fringe-average level, gives Bogaerts tremendous value to the Red Sox because his bat is so good. Having an up-the-middle player who can hit 30 home runs—not this season or even next year, but eventually—is part of what makes Bogaerts so highly regarded.

But even when Bogaerts is forced to move off shortstop, his bat is so good that there is no concern about his potential to be one of the 10 to 15 best hitters in the league and a perennial MVP candidate.

The Scouting Book (2014)

His weakness... some awkwardness in the field, especially with his footwork (he's young). There's really not anything to worry about here, though, other than the possibility he may bump Middlebrooks to first base one of these years. 

Baseball America (June 2013)

...but his defense has improved to the point where he could spend the early part of his career at shortstop rather than having to move to third base immediately, although as he fills out his 6-foot-3 frame it might not be long before he outgrows the position. Wherever he plays, his bat has the potential to make him a star.

Baseball Prospectus (August 2013)

Two areas of Bogaerts’ game that still need work are his defense and strike zone judgment. As a shortstop, he’s made strides in improving his footwork and technique, and the reads off the bat have gotten better as well. The foot speed is only average, however, and further loss of speed into his mid-20s is going to decrease his average-to-slightly-better-than-average range. Given his athleticism, reactions, and instincts, a permanent move over to third base should agree well with Bogaerts, and he has potential to round into a plus defender at the hot corner.

These are all pretty recent, and everyone I read mentioned changing positions at some point in his career.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

To me, if a scouting report even mentions moving to another position, it means the guy is not projected to be a plus fielder. Yes, the talk of him moving to 3B has lessened, but I still see it being mentioned...

soxprospects today:

Plus arm.  Solid-average range, but may lose footspeed as he gets bigger.  Needs to slow the game down defensively and resist the feeling to rush plays. Inconsistent with footwork and staying down on the ball.  Choppy at times with his movements and reactions.Improvements in the field and physical development should allow Bogaerts to stick at shortstop for the outset of his big league career. If he needs to move off the position, has the tools to play either third base or left field...

Adam Wells (August 2013)

Will continue to develop as a shortstop unless he’s forced to move from position; also profiles as a third baseman or corner outfielder. Solid hands; plus arm strength; lacks quick feet and explosiveness for surefire up-the-middle future.

Playing shortstop, even if it is just at a fringe-average level, gives Bogaerts tremendous value to the Red Sox because his bat is so good. Having an up-the-middle player who can hit 30 home runs—not this season or even next year, but eventually—is part of what makes Bogaerts so highly regarded.

But even when Bogaerts is forced to move off shortstop, his bat is so good that there is no concern about his potential to be one of the 10 to 15 best hitters in the league and a perennial MVP candidate.

The Scouting Book (2014)

His weakness... some awkwardness in the field, especially with his footwork (he's young). There's really not anything to worry about here, though, other than the possibility he may bump Middlebrooks to first base one of these years. 

Baseball America (June 2013)

...but his defense has improved to the point where he could spend the early part of his career at shortstop rather than having to move to third base immediately, although as he fills out his 6-foot-3 frame it might not be long before he outgrows the position. Wherever he plays, his bat has the potential to make him a star.

Baseball Prospectus (August 2013)

Two areas of Bogaerts’ game that still need work are his defense and strike zone judgment. As a shortstop, he’s made strides in improving his footwork and technique, and the reads off the bat have gotten better as well. The foot speed is only average, however, and further loss of speed into his mid-20s is going to decrease his average-to-slightly-better-than-average range. Given his athleticism, reactions, and instincts, a permanent move over to third base should agree well with Bogaerts, and he has potential to round into a plus defender at the hot corner.

These are all pretty recent, and everyone I read mentioned changing positions at some point in his career.

http://nesn.com/2013/12/brian-butterfield-xander-bogaerts-will-be-a-shortstop-until-the-day-he-retires/

It looks like Xander Bogaerts' infield coach disagrees with these scouting reports.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

http://nesn.com/2013/12/brian-butterfield-xander-bogaerts-will-be-a-shortstop-until-the-day-he-retires/

It looks like Xander Bogaerts' infield coach disagrees with these scouting reports.  

I have not seen enough of Bogey to have a strong opinion, but I was answering the claim by southpaw that all thos scouting reports were 2-3 years old.

Honestly, I looked at the first 5-6 reports within a year from today on my google search, and all of them mentioned Bogey changing positions at some point in his career.

As for the Sox infield coach, he may be afraid to weaken Bogey's confidence in his defense by telling what he really believes. I'm not saying he doesn't mean what he said, but would any good coach really say, "I don't think _______ will become a plus fielder, and maybe should start learning a different position sooner than later"?

• Sections
    Shortcuts