Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

I'm not for signing Drew at all. I think we should trade Dempster and find other solutions to our weaknesses. Keep the comp pick. Stock the farm for the extended future.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I pretty much feel the same exact way.  Dempster is a good chip, based on the assumption that someone is going to over pay for an innings eater going into spring training.

Someone will, and if one doesn't, then Peavy surely will be well sought after.

At this point, this conversation is relevant on the basis that there is a possibility that the Sox are considering bringing Drew back for some period of time.  That doesn't mean that they are not comfortable with going with Bogey/WMB if Drew leaves (because I think they are more than willing to go with those two if Drew leaves)  But we just don't really know how much signing Drew and losing the pick is worth to them.

I'm sure Sox management really values that draft choice. I think they have confidence in Bogey at SS and Middy at 3B, but there is enough uneasiness involved when you combine the 2 positions together to make me wonder if they think getting Drew back is of more value than the draft pick. In my opinion when you combine the lost value of the draft pick and the lost payroll budget space, signing Drew is not a good idea. One or the other might be okay, but not both the draft choice and the budget flex. What are the chances of Middy failing? Even if you agree on 30%, if you combine it to the chances Bogey struggles year 1 (maybe 25%), then we are left with a better chance 1 fails or struggles than none. This is the scary point.

To me, the Drew equation is more than just about Drew/Bogey/Middy vs Bogey/Middy/Herrera, it is really more about Drew vs the draft choice + another player at the money Drew would have cost.

It seems that the Sox have really placed a lot of value in building up the farm recently, the 2010 and 2011 drafts really stocked the system.  The 2012 draft was weak and the 13 is too early to really judge so I'd like to think that with what is considered a very strong 2014 draft class coming up they would place a higher value on the draft picks.

Agreed, and by all accounts this year's draft will be strong and deep. That draft choice in the early 30's could be a real winner.

If Xander Bogaerts didn't exist.  Signing Drew to a 2-3 year deal would be a no-brainer.  Look at Mike Napoli, he is a perfect example.  If the Sox had a top prospect MLB ready at 1B, I think they would been more willing to let him walk in favor of playing the youngster and taking the pick.

Can you ask the same question about Middy? If it wasn't for Middy, would signing Drew to 2-3 years and moving Bogey to 3B be a "no brainer"?

There is risk with playing rookies, but everyone has to start somewhere and we can't build an entire team through free agency,  If managed right you can have a team that is strong enough to deal with starting guys like JBJ, WMB, and Xander Bogaerts every year....because the reality is some of them are going to pan out and when they do you get a superstar for the league minimum.  And when you are the Boston Red Sox and you get a Xander Bogaerts on your team for at least 6 years you have the money to go and buy him some protection.

True. Maybe if it wasn't for JBJ taking over for Ellsbury at the same time, it might be easier for Sox management to roll the dice on Bogey and Middy.

I would have loved to still have Adrian Gonzalez in this line up with Bogey, but for all we know we would not of had a world series championship without that trade....and even though he's not as good I kind of really like Napoli. He's cheaper, his defense is just as good and even though he strikes out a ton, his power is just as good, and he makes pitchers throw a LOT of pitches.....look at me I've managed to turn a thread about Drew into Gonzo and then into Napoli.

It's all related. The money we saved on trading AGon  and the others allowed us to get Napoli, Victorino, Uehara and others, and having them allows us to roll the dice on Bogey, Middy and JBJ.

Can you ask the same question about Middy? If it wasn't for Middy, would signing Drew to 2-3 years and moving Bogey to 3B be a "no brainer"?

That's a good question that I didn't really think about.  I suppose it would depend on how the Organization views Bogaerts.  If they like him at SS and they think he would be better there than 3B, then I think they would still prefer to let Drew walk and find someone else to play 3B.

They may think Bogaerts moves to 3B, but do they think that is in a few years? 10 years? or do they think he could play the position better now?

I guess I just don't see Bogey as ever being a top 15 defensive SS in MLB, but I do think he can become a top 10 defensive 3Bman in a short amount of time. I admit this is conjecture, but it is what I believe.

I'm also trying to think of who they would go out and get to plug in to third base if they were going to let Bogaerts play SS and Drew walk.  If they thought a move to 3rd was going to happen sooner rather than later then I suspect that they would try to work out a deal with Drew and make the move.

Also might I add that if we sign Drew, we either have to play Bogaerts or WMB part time or demote one.

I think there is a way all 3 (Drew, Middy and Bogey) can all get 500-550+ PAs this year, even without any injuries to Napoli, Papi or Pedey.

I do, however, think that if Drew is signed, it makes sense to keep Bogey in AAA to learn 3B and gain that extra year of team control. This also gives Middy a chance to prove himself and/or gain trade value.

You can't demote one of them to play 3B without taking at-bats away from Garrin Cecchini (that would be dumb) If you demote Xander Bogaerts you make the team worse, assuming that Bogaerts is a far superior player than WMB.

Cecchini could begin to learn how to play 1B or LF. He may end up there eventually anyways.

The only other option would be to stunt eithers growth by giving them less playing time.

Not if someone changes positions.

That would also really hurt WMB's development and his trade value....The more and more I think about it, the more I think signing Drew is a bad idea.

I don't want Drew either, but I think Middy would still get a long look, even if Drew signs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Good point on Cecchini moving to LF/1B.

Although I'd like to see him get some more time at 3B before he makes that move.  He seems like he's such a smart baseball guy and such baseball rat, that he still has some improvements to make in the field...and if he can round out to be an average defender or more then he offers some good insurance to WMB if Drew is gone and Bogaerts is over at SS.

I wouldn't however mind seeing him move to LF.  We don't have a lot of depth in the outfield and after Bradely we are starting to get old there with the guys we do have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Honestly I just wish someone would sign Drew already so we could end this speculation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Although I'd like to see him get some more time at 3B before he makes that move.  He seems like he's such a smart baseball guy and such baseball rat, that he still has some improvements to make in the field...and if he can round out to be an average defender or more then he offers some good insurance to WMB if Drew is gone and Bogaerts is over at SS.

I wouldn't however mind seeing him move to LF.  We don't have a lot of depth in the outfield and after Bradely we are starting to get old there with the guys we do have.

I'm not giving up on Cecchini at 3B, but most accounts say he's not a great fielder there, and we have a logjam at 3B, even if Bogey stays at SS.

I sometimes wonder if Betts might end up at 3B or LF.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not giving up on Cecchini at 3B, but most accounts say he's not a great fielder there, and we have a logjam at 3B, even if Bogey stays at SS.

He could, but he might have the athleticism to play a more premium position.  He could end up being are SS, or the CF with Bradely moving over to RF (or Betts in right, I believe he has a good arm)

I'm also not ruling out that when David Ortiz is gone that the Sox move to a rotational DH spot, that may allow a guy like Mookie Betts who doesn't have a starting position to get into a rotation in the infield and outfield and still get starters at bats.  He could be our very own Dan Uggla.  His speed could replace Ellsbury's (at least a lot of it) and he could spell Pedroia at 2nd and let Pedey DH from time to time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sorry, I mean Ben Zoberist, not Dan Uggla

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

If Drew gets a reasonable offer he leaves.  That is not really in question.  If he gets down into the 6-8m/year range I think he is a good sign, even if he has a 1 year opt out.  Depth is pretty darn valuable guys, and INF is a little thin at the moment.  If WMB has to start in AAA then so be it.

yes infield depth is a little thin. But paying 6-8 million for infield depth is a pretty ridiculously high price, especially when you consider that you are giving up a draft pick and some of that money you will likely have to pay luxury tax on.

No one in MLB, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure NO one goes out and pays 8 million a year for a back up.  At least not intentionally

1st, how do the SOX lose a draft choice re-signing Drew? 2nd, who, besides you, says he'll be a back up?

If the Sox do not sign Drew, I'm assuming that someone else will.  That will net the Red Sox a draft pick because he received a qualifying offer.

signing Drew to a 1 year in favor of gaining a draft pick when you have two young studs waiting in the wings is a huge waste of resources...especially with one of the strongest draft in years coming up.  signing him to a multi year would make more sense but that would block WMB or Bogey and makes zero sense unless you are talking about trading one of them.

WMB and Bogaerts also need to play everyday, guys with their potential and status are everyday players, no team in the league would play them part time at this point.

If you really want to advocate bringing Drew back in, then we should be talking about sliding Bogaerts over and trading WMB.  Something I'm not in favor of, but would be a logical argument to have.

I'd have no problem trading WMB. Defensively, I think he's below average, and offensively, he's a big ?. Bogey at 3rd and Drew at SS makes the SOX better defensively and offensively. 

How about a WMB and Dempster package? If you want WMB you have to take the Dempster.

Ok so with WMB gone and Bogaerts over at 3B, then how is our infield depth then???

And if a team would have to "take dempster" to get WMB what kind of package back do you think we would get for WMB if he is not that good defensively and offensively?

WMB likely provides much more value to Boston right now than anyone else, and I doubt he gets traded at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Honestly I just wish someone would sign Drew already so we could end this speculation.

I agree. I just hope the someone is the RED SOX.

Well on that point I suppose we can also agree to disagree.  I hope the Sox let him walk and he signs elsewhere.  I think Boston will be better off letting him walk and netting the pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He could, but he might have the athleticism to play a more premium position.  He could end up being are SS, or the CF with Bradely moving over to RF (or Betts in right, I believe he has a good arm)

I'm also not ruling out that when David Ortiz is gone that the Sox move to a rotational DH spot, that may allow a guy like Mookie Betts who doesn't have a starting position to get into a rotation in the infield and outfield and still get starters at bats.  He could be our very own Dan Uggla.  His speed could replace Ellsbury's (at least a lot of it) and he could spell Pedroia at 2nd and let Pedey DH from time to time.

Didn't they move Betts from SS to 2B? 

It was probably for a reason, but yes, maybe CF is within his grasp, if JBJ does not work out. I'm guessing the openings we will have in LF and RF over the next few years makes more sense.

DH is a strong possibility as well for Betts and Cecchini.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about a WMB and Dempster package? If you want WMB you have to take the Dempster.

Someone will take Dempster, maybe without us even having to pay a cent, but certainly if we pay $2-4M out of the $13.25 owed.

Middy's stock may be too low right now.

I still think if we sign Drew, Bogey should start in AAA in hopes that Middy can increase his trade value with a good start. It also would give Bogey time to learn 3B in AAA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Someone will take Dempster, maybe without us even having to pay a cent, but certainly if we pay $2-4M out of the $13.25 owed.

I still think if we sign Drew, Bogey should start in AAA in hopes that Middy can increase his trade value with a good start. It also would give Bogey time to learn 3B in AAA

Who' going to take Dempster now? Spring training starts in a week. Most, if not all teams are set with their rosters.

Let's just hope the Mets sign Drew.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

THe more I think about the more I  think Drew ends up going somewhere else.  I really think the Mets/Yankees/Reds/mystery team swoop in and sign him.

I doubt anyone would want to give him a 1 year deal, that is a lot to give up a first round draft pick for.  (perhaps a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick might not be as hard to give up)  But I've seen rumors that he wants(or has) an opt out offer after one year as well.  That is either complete BS...or it is suggesting that there is a larger market for Drew than what we are seeing right now.  This is a possibility, we don't see everything that happens behind the scenes and some times guys markets are kept much more secretive than others.

I highly doubt we would want to sign Drew past one year unless Bogey would be moving over to third base.

If this is the case, then it would make much more sense for  WMB to be on the trading block.

I do suspect we will hear something very soon, with spring training effectivley here there are still a lot of decent free agents.

If we did sign Drew to 2-3 years, I think we still would give Middy a 2-3 month look at 3B while Bogey learns 3B in AAA. Hopefully, Middy builds up trade value, or we decide to keep him at 3B, move Middy to 1B, or find another position for Bogey.

Once again Moon, Cecchini is slated to start at 3b in AAA. even if xander is going to play 3b, hes going to do it in MLB IMO. If they are comfortable starting him in the post season, why on earth would they start him out in AAA? 

Xanders time is now, whether its 3b or SS. Ive been saying all along I dont think it will be an issue since I believe the Mets or NYY will sign him to a 2-3 year deal. Maybe even another team is involved. With xander, Middy, Marrero, andCecchini, Drew for more than one year doesnt make sense to me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

dear lord, I don't ask for much, but could you please help a friend in need. Stephen Drew is a good Christian that is looking for work. He's not asking for much, so if you could lend him a hand and by divine intervention, implore one of the teams in New York to sign him. So we the god fearing Christians that support the Boston Red Sox can go to bed at night and not worry about his fate. 

Thank you lord,

Beantowne

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The fish really really like Middy. I think there could be a deal there, but the sox will want Stanton if they give up on Middlebrooks. 

I could see a middy, doubie, Britton type deal for Miami. At least it would start the conversation. Im certainly not giving up much more without an extension and with his injury history. Just like Upton. Giving up a haul of players for a guy with great potential, but also with some red flags. 

The fish would be getting exactly what they need 14 total years of control at a low cost, 3 positions of need with 3 guys who are proven MLB ready and could step right in. 

Not saying id do this, but just presenting a possible scinario.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Didn't they move Betts from SS to 2B? 

It was probably for a reason, but yes, maybe CF is within his grasp, if JBJ does not work out. I'm guessing the openings we will have in LF and RF over the next few years makes more sense.

DH is a strong possibility as well for Betts and Cecchini.

They did, but when they did Mookie didn't have the hype he has now.  Vinicio was still considered a better prospect, and Iggy was still in the system as well.  Then when the Sox went out and Drafted Marrero (who was considered a top 10 draft pick before injuries slowed down his senior year).  That was when they moved Betts over, when him and Marrero were on the same roster.

I'm not saying he has some deficiency's at the position and I've hardly seen him play.  But it very well could be that the system was just loaded with SS prospects that were regarded much higher than Betts so a switch seemed appropriate.

I do know he is considered a plus defender at 2ND and he has a LOT of speed.  So I would think that if the team considered him more reliable than Marrero and Bogaerts to move to third in the next several year.  It might make sense to at least give him some gams down in Pawtucket at the position with Pedroia blocking him at 2nd.

I think we will see the Sox experiment with him this year.  Although I think they will wait for him to get his feet wet at the AA level before they make any switch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The fish really really like Middy. I think there could be a deal there, but the sox will want Stanton if they give up on Middlebrooks. 

I could see a middy, doubie, Britton type deal for Miami. At least it would start the conversation. Im certainly not giving up much more without an extension and with his injury history. Just like Upton. Giving up a haul of players for a guy with great potential, but also with some red flags. 

The fish would be getting exactly what they need 14 total years of control at a low cost, 3 positions of need with 3 guys who are proven MLB ready and could step right in. 

Not sure i deal Doubront, unless they ink Lester to an extension. While the sox do have an excess of arms entering camp this year...only Buccholz and Doubront are under contract after 2015...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Who' going to take Dempster now? Spring training starts in a week. Most, if not all teams are set with their rosters.

Let's just hope the Mets sign Drew.

Teams are always looking for pitching, and NO teams are not all set with their rosters.  There are always plenty of teams looking for pitching going into ST...and every team is just one injury away from getting desperate.

MLBTRADERUMORS wrote a story a month ago about Boston possibly looking to trade one of it's starter going into ST when the market thins out and teams get desperate.

But yes, I'am hoping the Mets sign Drew.  i think they are quitely waiting in the wings.  Their first round pick is protected, and they already lost their second.  Where most teams would lose a first round pick to sign Drew the Mets would only have to lose a third round pick. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the Fish are really high on WMB I'd like to throw a package together to pull the best player on that team....and that is not Stanton.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The debate among Marlins fans is whether reliever Steve Cishek would be too much to give up for Will Middlebrooks:

http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/threads/marlins-trade-fa-talk.70497/page-85#post-1449162

Giancarlo Stanton is not a realistic target unless the Red Sox add Xander Bogaerts to the equation.

The Marlins' second-ranked prospect is thirdbaseman Colin Moran, a college player taken in last June's draft with the pick just in front of Sox prospect Trey Ball, a high school lefthander. Baseball Prospectus already has the 21-year-old Moran No. 74 on its Top 101 prospect list.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22664

I don't doubt the Marlins have done their due diligence in calling about Middlebrooks but I would not overstate their interest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The debate among Marlins fans is whether reliever Steve Cishek would be too much to give up for Will Middlebrooks:

http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/threads/marlins-trade-fa-talk.70497/page-85#post-1449162

Giancarlo Stanton is not a realistic target unless the Red Sox add Xander Bogaerts to the equation.

The Marlins' second-ranked prospect is thirdbaseman Colin Moran, a college player taken in last June's draft with the pick just in front of Sox prospect Trey Ball, a high school lefthander. Baseball Prospectus already has the 21-year-old Moran No. 74 on its Top 101 prospect list.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22664

I don't doubt the Marlins have done their due diligence in calling about Middlebrooks but I would not overstate their interest.

I think WMB is probably worth at least a little more than a reliever.  Keep in mind, that is what "fans" are proposing for WMB.  Have you seen what some in here propose for players on other teams???  Every teams fans always tend to think that they could put together a light package for a player. 

Although I agree that it would take MUCH more to get Stanton than WMB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I think WMB is probably worth at least a little more than a reliever.  Keep in mind, that is what "fans" are proposing for WMB.  Have you seen what some in here propose for players on other teams???  Every teams fans always tend to think that they could put together a light package for a player. 

That was my point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

That was my point.

yeah I actually just realized that.  Perhaps some here can learn a lesson or two before they start suggesting we can trade Daniel Nava, Mike Carp, and 4 prospects ranked below 20th to get him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Not sure i deal Doubront, unless they ink Lester to an extension. While the sox do have an excess of arms entering camp this year...only Buccholz and Doubront are under contract after 2015...

I only say that with the notion that Lester gets re-signed, which I believe he will, and Owens is close, which he is. We could afford to let Doubie and WMB go with Cecchini and Owens almost ready. Workman could easily step in or even Dempster.

Im honestly not expecting B2B WSC. They have a very competetive team still and they NEED to let these kids play and take their bumps. I think winning it all in 2013 has afforded this team to do just that. There are some big decisions we will have to make regarding some of these prospects this year and next year with all the talent in the upper levels.

Sections
Shortcuts