Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Anyone read or believe this note on Drew?

Someone will take Dempster, maybe without us even having to pay a cent, but certainly if we pay $2-4M out of the $13.25 owed.

Middy's stock may be too low right now.

I still think if we sign Drew, Bogey should start in AAA in hopes that Middy can increase his trade value with a good start. It also would give Bogey time to learn 3B in AAA

[/QUOTE]

Who' going to take Dempster now? Spring training starts in a week. Most, if not all teams are set with their rosters.

Arizona just signed Arroyo, so teams are still looking and adding SP'ers. Even if no team is desperate right now, someone is bound to get hurt in ST, and a GM will come running to Boston.

Let's just hope the Mets sign Drew.

I just don't see the Mets spending big on a player that will not turn them into a contender.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about a WMB and Dempster package? If you want WMB you have to take the Dempster.

Someone will take Dempster, maybe without us even having to pay a cent, but certainly if we pay $2-4M out of the $13.25 owed.

I still think if we sign Drew, Bogey should start in AAA in hopes that Middy can increase his trade value with a good start. It also would give Bogey time to learn 3B in AAA

The fish really really like Middy. I think there could be a deal there, but the sox will want Stanton if they give up on Middlebrooks. 

I could see a middy, doubie, Britton type deal for Miami. At least it would start the conversation. Im certainly not giving up much more without an extension and with his injury history. Just like Upton. Giving up a haul of players for a guy with great potential, but also with some red flags. 

The fish would be getting exactly what they need 14 total years of control at a low cost, 3 positions of need with 3 guys who are proven MLB ready and could step right in. 

Not saying id do this, but just presenting a possible scinario.

[/QUOTE]

If the Fish are really high on WMB I'd like to throw a package together to pull the best player on that team....and that is not Stanton.

[/QUOTE]

Id rather have Yelich personally. Im not that high on Stanton like everyone else. I was just throwing a package together as an example.

Hill is right in that Im not sure why they are so high on Middy with Moran just drafted unless they see one shifting to 1b.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Once again Moon, Cecchini is slated to start at 3b in AAA. even if xander is going to play 3b, hes going to do it in MLB IMO. If they are comfortable starting him in the post season, why on earth would they start him out in AAA? 

1) Like I have said, I do not want Drew, and I'm fine with Boegy at SS and Middy at 3B.

2) If we sign Drew, it makes more sense to me to get Bogey another year of team control by starting him in AAA. THAT IS THE MAIN REASON. But, it also gives him a chance to learn 3B better, and for Middy to prove himself or up his trade value by playing 2 months at 3B in MLB. Of course, if Middy looks terrible in ST and Bogey looks good, they could play Middy or Cecchini at 1B in AAA and the other at 3B.

Xanders time is now, whether its 3b or SS. Ive been saying all along I dont think it will be an issue since I believe the Mets or NYY will sign him to a 2-3 year deal. Maybe even another team is involved. With xander, Middy, Marrero, andCecchini, Drew for more than one year doesnt make sense to me. 

I agree, but it also doesn't make sense to me for the Mets to sign him either. I think his price going down will make Ben consider signing him. I hope not, but I still think the possibility exists.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Giancarlo Stanton is not a realistic target unless the Red Sox add Xander Bogaerts to the equation.

I still think we could get Stanton without Bogaerts being part of the deal, but the cost would still be too high in my opinion.

Something like this might get the deal done:

Trade for Stanton and Cishek:

Middlebrooks

Bradley Jr.

1 from de la Rosa, Brentz, Margot or Hassan

2 SP'ers from Barnes, Ranaudo, or Webster

We could add Betts or Owens instead of someone above too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

• The Mets remain the best bet to land Stephen Drew, but he still receives text messages from Red Sox teammates hoping that he'll return.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Once again Moon, Cecchini is slated to start at 3b in AAA. even if xander is going to play 3b, hes going to do it in MLB IMO. If they are comfortable starting him in the post season, why on earth would they start him out in AAA? 

1) Like I have said, I do not want Drew, and I'm fine with Boegy at SS and Middy at 3B.

I know Moon and we agree. I also agreed that I might not be a bad idea for Xander to be in AAA to start. Its just not practical considering the situation.

2) If we sign Drew, it makes more sense to me to get Bogey another year of team control by starting him in AAA. THAT IS THE MAIN REASON. But, it also gives him a chance to learn 3B better, and for Middy to prove himself or up his trade value by playing 2 months at 3B in MLB. Of course, if Middy looks terrible in ST and Bogey looks good, they could play Middy or Cecchini at 1B in AAA and the other at 3B.

Again, while I agree with team control, after his performance in the Championship, its just not practical to send him back. Especially with Cecchini there now. If they trust him enough to start in the WSC theres no looking back for him now, regardless of keeping another year of control. By the time hes arb eligible, the Sox will have plenty of $$ to sign him long term if he wants to, and another year of control should not even be considered. Xanders time has come.

Xanders time is now, whether its 3b or SS. Ive been saying all along I dont think it will be an issue since I believe the Mets or NYY will sign him to a 2-3 year deal. Maybe even another team is involved. With xander, Middy, Marrero, andCecchini, Drew for more than one year doesnt make sense to me. 

I agree, but it also doesn't make sense to me for the Mets to sign him either. I think his price going down will make Ben consider signing him. I hope not, but I still think the possibility exists.

I agree that they are still considering Drew, and I also agree that I would rather have the pick. It just seems that signing Drew will complicate a lot of things. ie; prospects that are ready now or about ready, payroll, having to make a corrisponding move to make it work. I loved the Drew signing last year and Im a big fan of his. With that said, to me, re-signing him doesnt make sense without having created more headaches. I certainly do NOT agree with playing guys all over the Infield just to find them AB's. Most guys dont perform well doing that unless youve been a UI before or have experience spurratic playing time throughout your career. Im sure Ben has his plan A-Z already worked out though. Should be interesting how it all works out.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How about a WMB and Dempster package? If you want WMB you have to take the Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

The fish really really like Middy. I think there could be a deal there, but the sox will want Stanton if they give up on Middlebrooks. 

I could see a middy, doubie, Britton type deal for Miami. At least it would start the conversation. Im certainly not giving up much more without an extension and with his injury history. Just like Upton. Giving up a haul of players for a guy with great potential, but also with some red flags. 

The fish would be getting exactly what they need 14 total years of control at a low cost, 3 positions of need with 3 guys who are proven MLB ready and could step right in. 

Not saying id do this, but just presenting a possible scinario.

[/QUOTE]

If the Fish are really high on WMB I'd like to throw a package together to pull the best player on that team....and that is not Stanton.

[/QUOTE]

Id rather have Yelich personally. Im not that high on Stanton like everyone else. I was just throwing a package together as an example.

Hill is right in that Im not sure why they are so high on Middy with Moran just drafted unless they see one shifting to 1b.

[/QUOTE]

I think they do see one shifting to first base.  It would take more than Middy, but If I was going to throw a boat load of talent in a package for a player to Miami I'd rather go after Ferndandez than anyone...but a trade for him might be more unrealistic than a trade for Stanton

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know Moon and we agree. I also agreed that I might not be a bad idea for Xander to be in AAA to start. Its just not practical considering the situation.

In the context of signing Drew, it makes more sense to me than trading Middy while his stock is down or trying to find 500 PAs for Drew, Bogey and Middy.

2) If we sign Drew, it makes more sense to me to get Bogey another year of team control by starting him in AAA. THAT IS THE MAIN REASON. But, it also gives him a chance to learn 3B better, and for Middy to prove himself or up his trade value by playing 2 months at 3B in MLB. Of course, if Middy looks terrible in ST and Bogey looks good, they could play Middy or Cecchini at 1B in AAA and the other at 3B.

Again, while I agree with team control, after his performance in the Championship, its just not practical to send him back. Especially with Cecchini there now. If they trust him enough to start in the WSC theres no looking back for him now, regardless of keeping another year of control. By the time hes arb eligible, the Sox will have plenty of $$ to sign him long term if he wants to, and another year of control should not even be considered. Xanders time has come. 

His WS was not all that great: it was just better than all but Papi- which isn't saying much. I agree that Bogey is ready now for the bigs, but holding him back a couple of months, especially since he does not have muchg experience at 3B would certainly be a "consideration".

I agree that they are still considering Drew, and I also agree that I would rather have the pick. It just seems that signing Drew will complicate a lot of things. ie; prospects that are ready now or about ready, payroll, having to make a corrisponding move to make it work. I loved the Drew signing last year and Im a big fan of his. With that said, to me, re-signing him doesnt make sense without having created more headaches. I certainly do NOT agree with playing guys all over the Infield just to find them AB's. Most guys dont perform well doing that unless youve been a UI before or have experience spurratic playing time throughout your career. Im sure Ben has his plan A-Z already worked out though. Should be interesting how it all works out.

Last year Iggy was moved between SS and 3B. Bogey played some SS and 3B as well. With Bogey's defense at SS in question and Middy's defense at 3B in question, it makes sense to me to at least give them some time at their probable eventual position (3B for Bogey and 1B for Middy).

Like I said, I am not for signing Drew, and if we did, my first choice is not trying to keep eveyone on the 25 man roster all year, it would be to start Bogey in AAA, unless Middy looks awful in ST.

However, I do not see this plan below as jerking people around any more than they might otherwise be (as with 2013):

Drew  550 PAs (525 at SS vs all RHPs and some LHPs + 25 at 2B when Pedey rests)

Bogey 550 PAs (125 at SS vs LHPs and 425 at 3B vs RHPs)

Middy  400  (250 at 3B, 100 at 1B and 75 at DH)

Nappy 600 PAs (550 1B and 50 at DH)

Papi   600 PAs (575 DH and 25 at 1B in NL parks)

Yes, Middy is jerked more than last year, but everyone else is pretty set at one position.

Last year, these were the total PAs per slot:

1) 780

2) 759

3) 745

4) 728

5) 710

6) 694

7) 679

8) 653

9) 634

My guess is Bogey might bat 6th or 7th, Middy and Drew 7th or 8th, Papi 4th, and Napoli 5th. There may be less PAs per slot, if our offense does worse than 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In the context of signing Drew, it makes more sense to me than trading Middy while his stock is down or trying to find 500 PAs for Drew, Bogey and Middy.

2) If we sign Drew, it makes more sense to me to get Bogey another year of team control by starting him in AAA. THAT IS THE MAIN REASON. But, it also gives him a chance to learn 3B better, and for Middy to prove himself or up his trade value by playing 2 months at 3B in MLB. Of course, if Middy looks terrible in ST and Bogey looks good, they could play Middy or Cecchini at 1B in AAA and the other at 3B.

His WS was not all that great: it was just better than all but Papi- which isn't saying much. I agree that Bogey is ready now for the bigs, but holding him back a couple of months, especially since he does not have muchg experience at 3B would certainly be a "consideration".

Last year Iggy was moved between SS and 3B. Bogey played some SS and 3B as well. With Bogey's defense at SS in question and Middy's defense at 3B in question, it makes sense to me to at least give them some time at their probable eventual position (3B for Bogey and 1B for Middy).

Like I said, I am not for signing Drew, and if we did, my first choice is not trying to keep eveyone on the 25 man roster all year, it would be to start Bogey in AAA, unless Middy looks awful in ST.

However, I do not see this plan below as jerking people around any more than they might otherwise be (as with 2013):

Drew  550 PAs (525 at SS vs all RHPs and some LHPs + 25 at 2B when Pedey rests)

Bogey 550 PAs (125 at SS vs LHPs and 425 at 3B vs RHPs)

Middy  400  (250 at 3B, 100 at 1B and 75 at DH)

Nappy 600 PAs (550 1B and 50 at DH)

Papi   600 PAs (575 DH and 25 at 1B in NL parks)

Yes, Middy is jerked more than last year, but everyone else is pretty set at one position.

Last year, these were the total PAs per slot:

1) 780

2) 759

3) 745

4) 728

5) 710

6) 694

7) 679

8) 653

9) 634

My guess is Bogey might bat 6th or 7th, Middy and Drew 7th or 8th, Papi 4th, and Napoli 5th. There may be less PAs per slot, if our offense does worse than 2014.

[/QUOTE]

I just read that Ben basically said Drew should look for a multi year deal. If he comes to Boston he will be moving around the diamond For a 1 yr deal at a low cost. Im paraphrasing of course, but that tells me that even if Drew comes here, Middy and xander will remain on the 25 man roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Good point on Cecchini moving to LF/1B.

Although I'd like to see him get some more time at 3B before he makes that move.  He seems like he's such a smart baseball guy and such baseball rat, that he still has some improvements to make in the field...and if he can round out to be an average defender or more then he offers some good insurance to WMB if Drew is gone and Bogaerts is over at SS.

I wouldn't however mind seeing him move to LF.  We don't have a lot of depth in the outfield and after Bradely we are starting to get old there with the guys we do have.

I think everyone (including myself) just need to wait and see how certain situations play out with or without Drew and have faith either way we have plenty of options to upgrade our team. 

Here are a couple of my thoughts ....

#1 Sign Drew and dump Dempster's salary now (not later) to any team willing to pick up as much of his 13mil as possible.  Give Workman a shot in his spot in the rotation.

... Platoon Bogy and Drew at SS

... Send Herrera down but keep him, he backs up Drew if Stephen goes on the DL

#2 Start Middy at 3B but with a short three month leash.  If it works that's great.

.... Platoon Middy and Bogy at 3B

.... If Middy struggles move Bogy back to 3B but keep Middy as a backup until we find a decent replacement (maybe Eric Chavez) who has good success against RHP.

.... Try to trade Middy plus Lav or another youngster to the Dodgers for 21 year old OF Joc Pederson.  Most of the Dodger top prospects are pitchers but they could at the very least use a young C and 3B. 

.... Find a backup SS who can hit LHP.  I would also inquire about the Padres 24 year old SS Jace Pederson.  He is a solid young player, maybe a couple of our young arms or another package could lure him away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Why are so many people desperate to not have Middy start? He was injured last year, and he's better now, meaning he'll be closer to 2012 levels than 2013 levels. Also, if we sign Drew for more than one year, that is basically giving Middlebrooks a train ticket straight out of Boston, as there's no way Boegarts doesn't get some sort of starting position next year. I say let Drew go, play Boegy at short and Middy at third. Ideally, I would like Drew back as a backup, but he'd never agree to that, so I'd just take my chances with Middlebrooks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What if neither Will Middlebrooks nor Xander Bogaerts is a replacement-level player this season?

Each course of action (or inaction) carries its risks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

MLBTR.... today...

• Red Sox GM Ben Cherington told Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio (Twitter link) he doesn't expect anything to happen with Stephen Drew before the start of Spring Training; but, out of respect for the shortstop, has maintained a dialogue with agent Scott Boras.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why are so many people desperate to not have Middy start? He was injured last year, and he's better now, meaning he'll be closer to 2012 levels than 2013 levels.

The early 2013 Middy or the late 2013 Middy?

Also, if we sign Drew for more than one year, that is basically giving Middlebrooks a train ticket straight out of Boston, as there's no way Boegarts doesn't get some sort of starting position next year.

We could start Bogey in AAA until he earns the extra year of team control. Middy has a chance to prove himself, even if just to build trade value. An injury to Drew, Napoli or Papi would also give Middy a chance to keep playing full time.

I say let Drew go, play Boegy at short and Middy at third. Ideally, I would like Drew back as a backup, but he'd never agree to that, so I'd just take my chances with Middlebrooks.

It wouldn't be worth signing Drew as a back-up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What if neither Will Middlebrooks nor Xander Bogaerts is a replacement-level player this season?

Each course of action (or inaction) carries its risks.

[/QUOTE]

Let's say Middy has a 36% chance of being near replacement level, and Bogey has a 15% chance, that's a 51% chance one does not do well enough for a championship caliber team.

I'm not for signing Drew, but he does solve that "risk" pretty much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I would predict that the Yanks will pick up Drew once ST starts. Drew could play 2nd, SS, or 3rd depending on who gets hurt first on the Yanks. He would probably beat out Roberts to start the season at 2nd.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would predict that the Yanks will pick up Drew once ST starts. Drew could play 2nd, SS, or 3rd depending on who gets hurt first on the Yanks. He would probably beat out Roberts to start the season at 2nd.

[/QUOTE]

The Yanks would be better with Jeter at 2B and drew at SS, but Jete is too "proud" to do what is right for the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Talks Quiet Between Stephen Drew, Mets By  Charlie Wilmoth [February 9 at 9:53pm CST]

Free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew and the Mets haven't talked much recently, Newsday's Marc Carig writes. "Regarding Drew, there has not been much dialogue at all," a source close to the Mets told Carig.

Heading into mid-February, there isn't much indication that Drew is close to signing. Red Sox GM Ben Cherington has said that he didn't expect his team to sign Drew before spring training started. Meanwhile, the Mets' level of interest has seemed tepid, even though they currently have Ruben Tejada, who struggled through a miserable 2013 season, penciled in as their starting shortstop. As with a number of high-profile free agents who remain unsigned, the issue of draft-pick forfeiture appears to have had a significant impact on Drew's market. As Carig notes, however, Drew's agent, Scott Boras, is no stranger to 11th-hour deals, and he has a week to go before position players report to spring training.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yanks would be better with Jeter at 2B and drew at SS, but Jete is too "proud" to do what is right for the team.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but we both know that won't happen. I don't wish any player to get hurt, but the odds are that Jeter and Roberts do not play full seasons. I actually like Jeter, but he should be at 3rd at this point.

If the Mets are cold, Drew has to be kicking himself for not taking the QO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who' going to take Dempster now? Spring training starts in a week. Most, if not all teams are set with their rosters.

Arizona just signed Arroyo, so teams are still looking and adding SP'ers. Even if no team is desperate right now, someone is bound to get hurt in ST, and a GM will come running to Boston.

Let's just hope the Mets sign Drew.

I just don't see the Mets spending big on a player that will not turn them into a contender.

[/QUOTE]
    There's a big difference between Arroyo and Dempster, please.

Arroyo was 14-12, ERA at 3.79, 202 IP, WHIP of 1.153

Dempster was 8-9, ERA at 4.57, IP at 171 and WHIP of 1.453

No comparison.

And repeating, Boras and Drew blew it big time turning down $14.1M for one year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

MLBTR.... today...

• Red Sox GM Ben Cherington told Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio (Twitter link) he doesn't expect anything to happen with Stephen Drew before the start of Spring Training; but, out of respect for the shortstop, has maintained a dialogue with agent Scott Boras.

[/QUOTE]

Boras has no leverage.   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Up until the last several years Aroyo and Dempster were actually a really good comp.  Given Dempsters age, and recent track record I do thnk Arroyo puts himself a level ahead of Ryan.

I do think there is a market for Dempster, or at least will be when Jiminez, and Santana are signed, ESPECIALLY if someone comes into camp and gets injured by the end of ST.  If there are two things we've learned over the last year it is that

A.) teams will overspend for pitching.  15 Million a year doesn't get you an ace anymore, it gets you an average pitcher. 

B.) teams are even MORE willing to overspend on a shorter term deal.

I don't think anyone is beating down the door for Dempster, but there is a very good chance he is marketable this spring. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MLBTR.... today...

[/QUOTE]

Boras has no leverage.   LOL

[/QUOTE]

I do feel that this will shape next years market. Teams will be less likely to give Q.O. to those fringe players who they may want to walk.  Then again....they may be more willing to give a Q.O. if they want to keep a guy around.  Teams are willing to overspend for 1 year and they gain leverage to work out a multi year deal.

It's definitely a team friendly system right now (or at least more so.) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a big difference between Arroyo and Dempster, please.

Arroyo was 14-12, ERA at 3.79, 202 IP, WHIP of 1.153

Dempster was 8-9, ERA at 4.57, IP at 171 and WHIP of 1.453

No comparison.

And repeating, Boras and Drew blew it big time turning down $14.1M for one year.

Arroyo pitched in the non-DH league, in a weaker hitting division, and a weaker hitting league.

3 year WAR:

Dempster 6.9

Arroyo       1.7

I think they are very close.

Other 2013 numbers:

Dempster WAR 1.3, xFIP 4.21, ERA- 110, tERA 5.37, SIERA 4.26

B Arroyo  WAR  0.8, xFIP 3.97, ERA- 105, tERA 5.04, SIERA 4.15

Again, these numbers are very close.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Reds are in one of the tougher Divisions in MLB. I agree DH is huge coming from a National League Team, especially at that age.