Anyone Remember Bob Veale?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Anyone Remember Bob Veale?

Red Sox fans should remember him as a reliever in 1973 and 1974. He had 11 saves in 1973. Pirates fans will remember hims a decent starter in the 1960s. He had a four-year stretch of winning 16 twice, 17 once and 18 once, going 67-44 with a 3.02 ERA.

Anyway, I came across an interesting stat while posting on the thread that disappeared as I was posting on it, about the Phillies pitching staff. I was making the point that nothing is guaranteed and I compared the 1971 pitching staffs of Baltimore (four 20-game winners) and Pittsburgh. The Pirates won the World Series despite having an inferior staff.

The stat I came across is yet another that falls under the categories of 'Baseball is a Funny Game' and 'You Have to Look Deeper into Stats.'

In 1971, pitching all his 37 games out of the bullpen, Veale was 6-0. Solid guy to have right?

His ERA was 6.99.

Of course, it's worth nothing that he had four games with this line:
    3 IP, 5 ER
    4 IP, 5 ER
    1.2 IP, 4 ER
    1 IP, 6 ER
    Total 9.2 IP, 20 ER, 18.56

In his other 33 games, his line was:
    36.2 IP, 16 ER, 3.92, which is much more respectable.

Still, it's funny how he managed to win six game with all his bad blowups coming in games the Pirates were already losing; and if he gave up the lead in any game, the Pirates came back so he wouldn't get the loss.

Looking even deeper, yet another interesting stat -- he allowed just six of 37 inherited runners to score, a very respectable 16 percent. And it's worth noting that he was good when it counted in September, making eight appearances, 7.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.16 ERA.

Still, 6-0 with a 6.99 ERA is an odd line to see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale?

I remember having his baseball card. I think he wore glasses.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale?:
    [QUOTE]I remember having his baseball card. I think he wore glasses.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

He also was a 6-foot-6 lefty. Maybe he could team Andrew Miller a thing or two.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I remember having his baseball card. I think he wore glasses.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I think I still have the card.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

He was the 1st ballplayer I ever got an autograph from, around 1972 at Fenway.  I remember being a little disappointed because I had no idea who he was at the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]I remember him and that team, Bill Blass was on it too.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Steve Blass

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Bill Lee's book, "The wrong stuff", he tells a story about himself and Veale fishing in Winter Haven. Pretty funny.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]I remember him and that team, Bill Blass was on it too. That team could hit. Last season for Clemente, sure glad he won a WS, before his unfortunate passing.

Funny that you mentioned Steve Blass. He was this young up and coming pitcher who completely lost his control and was done. The urban legend rumor was that he caught his wife in bed with Dave Cash and that's what did him in. That same legend also found the rumor mill with Dave Martinez and Mitch Webster and why Martinez was traded.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

yeah i woulda been upset too

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

It's fun stuff, for sure.  My fav part is when people don't get what's going on.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Pirates did OK after that, they had Rennie Stennett at 2nd base after Cash. No slouch there. I remember that Pirates team had Robertson and Stargell platooning 1st base. Amazing

For the record, not the 1971 team. Stargell just played LF that year. And except for 50 games in 1964, it wasn't until 1972 that he even played more than 30-something games in a season at 1B.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : Funny that you mentioned Steve Blass. He was this young up and coming pitcher who completely lost his control and was done. The urban legend rumor was that he caught his wife in bed with Dave Cash and that's what did him in. That same legend also found the rumor mill with Dave Martinez and Mitch Webster and why Martinez was traded.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

I remembered Cash with the Phillies and Expos. I forgot he was with the Pirates.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Ok  lets try again Richie Hebner played 3rd and was born in Boston, Yes?

I was always a fan of Hebner. Didn't he end up with the Phillies playing first base.
    The Stargell thing confused me because I remember he was a LF and knew he moved to 1B late in his career. 1971 seemed to early, which is why I looked it up.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : I remembered Cash with the Phillies and Expos. I forgot he was with the Pirates.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
     Cash once played in 163 games in the year he was traded...always remember that...Ask JD Drew about playing 162 games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : I was always a fan of Hebner. Didn't he end up with the Phillies playing first base. The Stargell thing confused me because I remember he was a LF and knew he moved to 1B late in his career. 1971 seemed to early, which is why I looked it up.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Hebner dug graves in the offseason as his father ran a mortuary

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Dementia on my part long time ago. I remember that team had Manny Sanguillen, who also batted like .294 lifetime as catcher. Weird he was traded to Oakland for Chuck Tanner. Then traded back, and won another WS.

Weird that Elrod Hendricks was traded in '72 after O's pitching dominated from '69-71. Then the O's traded to get him back and they won divisional titles in '73/'74.
    They traded him again in '75.
    Then the O's traded to get him back again in the late 70's, and again they won.
    Then they made him a BP catching coach for the next 28 years.

I wonder why?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Anyone Remember Bob Veale?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox fans should remember him as a reliever in 1973 and 1974. He had 11 saves in 1973. Pirates fans will remember hims a decent starter in the 1960s. He had a four-year stretch of winning 16 twice, 17 once and 18 once, going 67-44 with a 3.02 ERA. Anyway, I came across an interesting stat while posting on the thread that disappeared as I was posting on it, about the Phillies pitching staff. I was making the point that nothing is guaranteed and I compared the 1971 pitching staffs of Baltimore (four 20-game winners) and Pittsburgh. The Pirates won the World Series despite having an inferior staff. The stat I came across is yet another that falls under the categories of 'Baseball is a Funny Game' and 'You Have to Look Deeper into Stats.' In 1971, pitching all his 37 games out of the bullpen, Veale was 6-0. Solid guy to have right? His ERA was 6.99. Of course, it's worth nothing that he had four games with this line: 3 IP, 5 ER 4 IP, 5 ER 1.2 IP, 4 ER 1 IP, 6 ER Total 9.2 IP, 20 ER, 18.56 In his other 33 games, his line was: 36.2 IP, 16 ER, 3.92, which is much more respectable. Still, it's funny how he managed to win six game with all his bad blowups coming in games the Pirates were already losing; and if he gave up the lead in any game, the Pirates came back so he wouldn't get the loss. Looking even deeper, yet another interesting stat -- he allowed just six of 37 inherited runners to score, a very respectable 16 percent. And it's worth noting that he was good when it counted in September, making eight appearances, 7.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.16 ERA. Still, 6-0 with a 6.99 ERA is an odd line to see.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Pirates had one thing the O's lacked: Clemente.
    Great WS, one of the very best defensively.

I recall going to games Veale pitched. He got rocked most every time.
    Man, that guy was big.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : Pirates had one thing the O's lacked: Clemente. Great WS, one of the very best defensively. I recall going to games Veale pitched. He got rocked most every time. Man, that guy was big.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Veale was decent for the Sox in 1973.

You're right about Clemente. Guess good pitching doesn't always beat good hitting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]Pirates did OK after that, they had Rennie Stennett at 2nd base after Cash. No slouch there. I remember that Pirates team had Robertson and Stargell platooning 1st base. Amazing

I meant Blass was done. The story in Philly was that the Phillies got rid of Cash because his wife was out of hand at the games and butting into the front office.

Sections
Shortcuts