Anyone Remember Bob Veale?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale?

I liked Bob when he was here. I remember he was huge and looked overpowering.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : Veale was decent for the Sox in 1973. You're right about Clemente. Guess good pitching doesn't always beat good hitting.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I find there's very little that quantifies as "always" in baseball. Too many variables.
    Good pitching will generally stop good hitting. It is the over-riding factor.
    In a close series like that one was, one hot player can sway the difference.
    I recall the Pirates had a pretty good pen that year, which supplemented the SR. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : I find there's very little that quantifies as "always" in baseball. Too many variables. Good pitching will generally stop good hitting. It is the over-riding factor. In a close series like that one was, one hot player can sway the difference. I recall the Pirates had a pretty good pen that year, which supplemented the SR. 
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    The Oriloles were the more talented team but anything can happen. I think in game 5 Nelson Briles shut out McNally and the O's. The Pirates had a really good bullpen led by Dave Giusti among others. In 1990 the A's were way more talented then the Reds(pitching and offense.) But look what happened. A sweep.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Anyone Remember Bob Veale?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox fans should remember him as a reliever in 1973 and 1974. He had 11 saves in 1973. Pirates fans will remember hims a decent starter in the 1960s. He had a four-year stretch of winning 16 twice, 17 once and 18 once, going 67-44 with a 3.02 ERA. Anyway, I came across an interesting stat while posting on the thread that disappeared as I was posting on it, about the Phillies pitching staff. I was making the point that nothing is guaranteed and I compared the 1971 pitching staffs of Baltimore (four 20-game winners) and Pittsburgh. The Pirates won the World Series despite having an inferior staff. The stat I came across is yet another that falls under the categories of 'Baseball is a Funny Game' and 'You Have to Look Deeper into Stats.' In 1971, pitching all his 37 games out of the bullpen, Veale was 6-0. Solid guy to have right? His ERA was 6.99. Of course, it's worth nothing that he had four games with this line: 3 IP, 5 ER 4 IP, 5 ER 1.2 IP, 4 ER 1 IP, 6 ER Total 9.2 IP, 20 ER, 18.56 In his other 33 games, his line was: 36.2 IP, 16 ER, 3.92, which is much more respectable. Still, it's funny how he managed to win six game with all his bad blowups coming in games the Pirates were already losing; and if he gave up the lead in any game, the Pirates came back so he wouldn't get the loss. Looking even deeper, yet another interesting stat -- he allowed just six of 37 inherited runners to score, a very respectable 16 percent. And it's worth noting that he was good when it counted in September, making eight appearances, 7.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.16 ERA. Still, 6-0 with a 6.99 ERA is an odd line to see.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

This was when Veale was past his prime; during it, he was one of the hardest throwers in the league, and led the senior circuit in Ks in '64 (250), was 2nd in '65 with 276 (when Koufax set the record with 382, obscene) and 3rd in '66 (Behind Koufax & Bunning).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : I find there's very little that quantifies as "always" in baseball. Too many variables. Good pitching will generally stop good hitting. It is the over-riding factor. In a close series like that one was, one hot player can sway the difference. I recall the Pirates had a pretty good pen that year, which supplemented the SR. 

The key part that too many people leave out is that good pitching will beat good hitting if the good pitchers are pitching up to their level. That isn't always a guarantee. which is why I abhor sweeping statements too many osters make.

Like you said -- too many variables. Baseball can be a strange/funny game. On any given day ... you know the rest. Which is why the posters whining about Monday night's game. It doesn't matter that the Sox have best offense or what kind of pitchers the Blue Jays have, on any given day.

That's why all that matters to me is making the playoffs. Then start from scratch and see what happens. It doesn't matter what kind of team any of the playoff teams have on paper. Players have to produce and you never know who the hero will be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : The Oriloles were the more talented team but anything can happen. I think in game 5 Nelson Briles shut out McNally and the O's. The Pirates had a really good bullpen led by Dave Giusti among others. In 1990 the A's were way more talented then the Reds(pitching and offense.) But look what happened. A sweep.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

And if I'm correct, the only reason Briles started was Dock Ellis who lost Game 1, was hurt. Ellis didn't pitch after Game 1 and would have been in line to pitch Game 5.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : And if I'm correct, the only reason Briles started was Dock Ellis who lost Game 1, was hurt. Ellis didn't pitch after Game 1 and would have been in line to pitch Game 5.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I think you may be right. Are we sure Ellis wasn't tripping on acid again?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think the main difference in the post season is that players form a stronger bond. They have all season to get to know each other and deal with each other's quirks. But once October starts, there's a gelling process like no other. It's 25 guys acting as one unit.

The scouting reports are magnified and it comes down to making adjustments on the fly. That's when the term team is truly exemplified.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think one of the great pitcher's WS was Detroit v. St. Louis in 68....that was just a pitcher's haven with McClain, Lolich, Gibson....yikes, great hurlers going at it. Great baseball, great series. Lots of drama.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

So was the other series...of '67.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittnhsteven. Show pittnhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]So was the other series...of '67.

Hey harness; I believe I was banned and didn't even know it! I made about 100 posts and noticed no response; I also noticed when I wasn't logged in, I couldn't see my posts or my threads. Who would have thunk it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittnhsteven. Show pittnhsteven's posts

In Response to Anyone Remember Bob Veale?:
    [QUOTE]Red Sox fans should remember him as a reliever in 1973 and 1974. He had 11 saves in 1973. Pirates fans will remember hims a decent starter in the 1960s. He had a four-year stretch of winning 16 twice, 17 once and 18 once, going 67-44 with a 3.02 ERA. Anyway, I came across an interesting stat while posting on the thread that disappeared as I was posting on it, about the Phillies pitching staff. I was making the point that nothing is guaranteed and I compared the 1971 pitching staffs of Baltimore (four 20-game winners) and Pittsburgh. The Pirates won the World Series despite having an inferior staff. The stat I came across is yet another that falls under the categories of 'Baseball is a Funny Game' and 'You Have to Look Deeper into Stats.' In 1971, pitching all his 37 games out of the bullpen, Veale was 6-0. Solid guy to have right? His ERA was 6.99. Of course, it's worth nothing that he had four games with this line: 3 IP, 5 ER 4 IP, 5 ER 1.2 IP, 4 ER 1 IP, 6 ER Total 9.2 IP, 20 ER, 18.56 In his other 33 games, his line was: 36.2 IP, 16 ER, 3.92, which is much more respectable. Still, it's funny how he managed to win six game with all his bad blowups coming in games the Pirates were already losing; and if he gave up the lead in any game, the Pirates came back so he wouldn't get the loss. Looking even deeper, yet another interesting stat -- he allowed just six of 37 inherited runners to score, a very respectable 16 percent. And it's worth noting that he was good when it counted in September, making eight appearances, 7.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.16 ERA. Still, 6-0 with a 6.99 ERA is an odd line to see.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

This was when Veale was past his prime; during it, he was one of the hardest throwers in the league, and led the senior circuit in Ks in '64 (250), was 2nd in '65 with 276 (when Koufax set the record with 382, obscene) and 3rd in '66 (Behind Koufax & Bunning).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : Hey harness; I believe I was banned and didn't even know it! I made about 100 posts and noticed no response; I also noticed when I wasn't logged in, I couldn't see my posts or my threads. Who would have thunk it?
    Posted by pittnhsteven[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I saw UR messages were gone also. (Check UR home page).
    You felt it was imminent. You called it.
    I'm guessing it was either political w/you-know-who...or a 'battle of the sexes'.
    Those are the two unwinnable areas!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Anyone Remember Bob Veale? : This was when Veale was past his prime; during it, he was one of the hardest throwers in the league, and led the senior circuitin Ks in '64 (250), was 2nd in '65 with 276 (when Koufax set the record with 382, obscene) and 3rd in '66 (Behind Koufax & Bunning).    
    Posted by pittnhsteven[/QUOTE]

The senior circuit evolved into the senior citizen short-circuit.