Apathy is what I feel, and what I see

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Apathy is what I feel, and what I see

Last year at this time I couldn't wait for the season to start. I drove down to traing camp 2 or 3 times (it's about 9 or 10 miles), and posted a schedule right next to the computer. Right now I don't know the season opener date, or even who they play. Why do I have a feeling the guys in uniform feel something like that?

If the atmosphere at Fenway doesn't change things really fast, I fear a long season. I hope we see something a lot different in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, a long season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Apathy is what I feel, and what I see

Yeah this winning a World Series thing isn't what it's cracked up to be. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, this one was a lot more than it was cracked up to be! After you've seen baseball-heaven, what's next? That one won't be topped for 50 years!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

How can a baseball fan not be excited for the start of a new season??  Baseball is about to start.  Spring is here.  The Sox are the freaking defending World Champions!!  What is not to get excited about?  I watched both games this weekend (Dodgers/D-Backs that is).  I am replaying the 2013 season on Strat.  Spring is here and we are a week away from baseball.  Life is good!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, this one was a lot more than it was cracked up to be! After you've seen baseball-heaven, what's next? That one won't be topped for 50 years!

[/QUOTE]

IMO this season is gravy. Repeating is nearly impossible. If the team goes out there every game and plays hard and gets into the postseason, thats fine with me. As long as the Yankees don't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I feel almost exactly the same way, I have been more depressed as the season approaches than I have been excited. Because now the title defense begins, which will probably end in disappointment, and with my team being dethroned for another--who will then get all the attention mine did last year. Although I know when, who and where--I'm not terribly excited either, nor am I impressed with the blasé, lethargic attitude this team has shown so far this spring. If you remember, this is the same kind of spring they had in 2011--at one point losing 12 in a row. A LOT of things went right last year for that kind of a miracle season, and I don't expect for a minute to see it again this year. When you just won, you're chances of winning it all again are nil. Therefore, since winning it all is the real point, if you're chandes are nil, it's hard to get excited. A winning season? Probably. Playoffs? Possibly. WS? Doubtful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That season was what I would have ordered if I wrote it out in March. No way we see something that amazing again anytime soon. Like the Ortiz grand slam, ths stuff just does not happen in real life. How could you ever top that season?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always feel like a kid again every opening day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel almost exactly the same way. Although I know when, who and where--I'm not terribly excited either, nor am I impressed with the blasé, lethargic attitude this team has shown so far this spring. If you remember, this is the same kind of spring they had in 2011--at one point losing 12 in a row. A LOT of things went right last year for that kind of a miracle season, and I don't expect for a minute to see it again this year. When you just won, you're chances of winning it all again are nil. Therefore, since winning it all is the real point, if you're chandes are nil, it's hard to get excited. A winning season? Probably. Playoffs? Possibly. WS? Doubtful.

[/QUOTE]

We just won so it is hard to get excited about a new season?  Since teams don't repeat why bother?  It is tough to win any season, should we never care?  And let me get this straight.  They had a bad spring in 2011.  It didn't affect them until they were 31 games over .500 August 31.  The bad spring caused the September swoon?  I understand you have the right to feel the way you do, we are all different.  I just don't understand the feeling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always feel like a kid again every opening day.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How can a baseball fan not be excited for the start of a new season??  Baseball is about to start.  Spring is here.  The Sox are the freaking defending World Champions!!  What is not to get excited about?  I watched both games this weekend (Dodgers/D-Backs that is).  I am replaying the 2013 season on Strat.  Spring is here and we are a week away from baseball.  Life is good!

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100 percent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just what I was thinking; I guess he'll skip the ring ceremony.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I feel almost exactly the same way. Although I know when, who and where--I'm not terribly excited either, nor am I impressed with the blasé, lethargic attitude this team has shown so far this spring. If you remember, this is the same kind of spring they had in 2011--at one point losing 12 in a row. A LOT of things went right last year for that kind of a miracle season, and I don't expect for a minute to see it again this year. When you just won, you're chances of winning it all again are nil. Therefore, since winning it all is the real point, if you're chandes are nil, it's hard to get excited. A winning season? Probably. Playoffs? Possibly. WS? Doubtful.

We just won so it is hard to get excited about a new season?  Since teams don't repeat why bother?  It is tough to win any season, should we never care?  And let me get this straight.  They had a bad spring in 2011.  It didn't affect them until they were 31 games over .500 August 31.  The bad spring caused the September swoon?  I understand you have the right to feel the way you do, we are all different.  I just don't understand the feeling.

The bad spring in 2011 demonstrated with that team at least, that there was a deep character flaw. I preached and yelled all year about it on this forum, and was laughed and shouted down. I said, "guys, there is something wrong with this team, something is not right". I said it even when they were in first place. So yes, the bad spring caused the September swoon because it showed that garbage was in their DNA. They also would have had enough games to sneak by TB had they started 2-4 instead of 0-6. That ST carried over into the season. My point with this years team is, so many things had to go right for them to do what they did last year that there is almost no chance of it happening again. I will watch the games, but I have more skepticism ths year than I did last year, and I didn't think they had a chance of winning anything other than maybe a second WC berth. This is what made it miraculous. I'll tell Sox fans the same thing I told Cardinals fans in 2012: miracles are miraculous because they almost never happen. Name one other time in sports history a city had a story like they did in Boston last season. I said it the day after they won last year: "can we skip 2014 and have another 2013? Because we will never see something like this again", and I was sad because I said we'll never see this group of guys on the field together again. It wasn't JUST a championship, it went way beyond that. It was one of those flashbulb moments in life that you savor, because it can't be re-created--it's there, then it's gone.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Realistically, it is tough to win it all any season. Having won the previous season does not make it any tougher. What I don't like is the stand-pat attitude that we have seen this off season. That is not how to succeed in business. Accepting failure because it is " tough to repeat " is the stuff of losers. Let's see what happens. But if the Sox falter, it won't be because it is tough to repeat. It will be because not enough was done to stay on top.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Fair enough, Exam.  Being here in Seattle I wasn't close to the Boston Strong feeling.  My family is all in NH where I grew up, and have only been to Boston on Patriots Day once in my life ('94, part of a 7 day stretch of going to Sox games for my vacation).  So it didn't touch me like many of you.  But still, I love baseball and the Sox, and get excited every year.  I did in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid, and still do today.  Can't wait for the season to start.

Keep one thing in mind though.  Just because last year can't be recreated doesn't mean the next time won't be special.  2004 couldn't be recreated either and there are some that say last year was even better.  Can you imagine if the Sox do win again?  Repeating in this day and age?  And if it is Bogaerts and Middlebrooks and Bradley in the middle of it all?  Mabye Vazquez or Brentz get called up for a bit and spark the team.  Could be special?  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Realistically, it is tough to win it all any season. Having won the previous season does not make it any tougher. What I don't like is the stand-pat attitude that we have seen this off season. That is not how to succeed in business. Accepting failure because it is " tough to repeat " is the stuff of losers. Let's see what happens. But if the Sox falter, it won't be because it is tough to repeat. It will be because not enough was done to stay on top.

[/QUOTE]

So what, specifically, were the moves to be made? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are the third or fourth guy to ask that question. I don't know how to answer it. Do you want specific names?  Look at our roster. There is plenty of room for improvement, especially in the starting rotation, catcher and outfield. The Sox did not acquire any of the top free agents. No trades to improve the club. Nothing in the foreign player market. That is what I mean by standing pat. I don't think that is the way to go. Let's see what happens. But I would bet that if the Sox do falter, some folks will find other reasons rather than blaming this unproductive off season. And it was an unproductive off season.  That is my point. That is my concern.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are the third or fourth guy to ask that question. I don't know how to answer it. Do you want specific names?  Look at our roster. There is plenty of room for improvement, especially in the starting rotation, catcher and outfield. The Sox did not acquire any of the top free agents. No trades to improve the club. Nothing in the foreign player market. That is what I mean by standing pat. I don't think that is the way to go. Let's see what happens. But I would bet that if the Sox do falter, some folks will find other reasons rather than blaming this unproductive off season. And it was an unproductive off season.  That is my point. That is my concern.

[/QUOTE]

You just can't buy talent year after year.  At some point you simply have to tak d a gamble on your farm grown talent.  XB is a great gamble.  Our chances with JBJ / Sizemore combo are well above average.  We may well lose a little at that spot, but I LOVE our chances of not at all with Sizemore if healthy?  Middy is due to break out this year, if he is ever going to.  We need to play him either way, to see if we can tap that big bat value.  I've never been solx on his glove, but that RH club of his is goinv to get some big attention.  We help ourselves either way by showcasing it.  It's an upgrade at 3rd either way, as he's bound to have a much better season.  A.J. has as much power as Salty, with a much more disciplined approach.  Duby is a definitive upgrade over Dempster.

no big splash, but I likd our chances!

Have faith.  Enjoy watching thd kids grow!  But have patience....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That season was what I would have ordered if I wrote it out in March. No way we see something that amazing again anytime soon. Like the Ortiz grand slam, ths stuff just does not happen in real life. How could you ever top that season?

[/QUOTE]

Exam: you still have the link to FratChat?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

how could you top 2004?

and yet, they did

I just dont understand the apathy, I feel sad for the original poster

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have you heard, Galehouse?  The Red Sox have given Stan Patt his unconditional release.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

If you don't have the Terry Cashman album---"Passin-it-On" listen to it on I Tunes.

I think the First Recording is  "Opening Day." It will get you in the baseball mood---then 

"Oriole Park @Camden Yard."  "Centerfield"," Willie, Mickey and the Duke". Once you start you will be back in Baseball Mode.

Sections
Shortcuts