Apathy is what I feel, and what I see

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Apathy is what I feel, and what I see

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year at this time I couldn't wait for the season to start. I drove down to traing camp 2 or 3 times (it's about 9 or 10 miles), and posted a schedule right next to the computer. Right now I don't know the season opener date, or even who they play. Why do I have a feeling the guys in uniform feel something like that?

If the atmosphere at Fenway doesn't change things really fast, I fear a long season. I hope we see something a lot different in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, a long season.

[/QUOTE]

It's called projection.

I can't wait for the season to get started.

It's going to be another nail-biter of a division race.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mize52's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's sad that your miserable, boring lives are all guided by how well the SOX do. This board maginifies the shallowness of all your existances. Get a life, and while your at it, find a sense of humor. In some cases,( Pimpsie, dirtdog, amphole, ) a personality might help. I leave it to Pike to continue to make all your pathetic lives miserable.

This is crowtrobot signing out, never to deal with you slugs again.

[/QUOTE]

Good. You will not be missed. The lingering puzzle is why BDC never banned you since you made so many personal insults.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand it either.

Hopefully, CrowTjackass keeps his word and stays away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look at our roster. There is plenty of room for improvement, especially in the starting rotation, catcher and outfield. The Sox did not acquire any of the top free agents. No trades to improve the club. Nothing in the foreign player market. That is what I mean by standing pat. I don't think that is the way to go. Let's see what happens. But I would bet that if the Sox do falter, some folks will find other reasons rather than blaming this unproductive off season. And it was an unproductive off season.  That is my point. That is my concern.

No big free agents, but then again, last year, after finishing in last place, we added no QO free agents.

This winter, we added:

Mujica

Badenhop

Capuano

Herrera

Pierzynski

Plus, we will have effectively added:

Bogaerts

Bradley

a healthy Buchholz

a healthy Miller

a healthy Middlebrooks

a healthy Ross

some young arms that are 1 year more experienced

We did not stand pat. We lost some talent and gaines some talent.

Was it a net plus? We'll have to wait and see, but on paper, it looks like a push at worst.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

maybe our perceived apathy has to do with yet another week of godforsaken polar vortex.  9F in jersey this morning driving in to work.  ridiculous.

we need a solid week of 60F+ to get into full blown "baseball mode"......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year at this time I couldn't wait for the season to start. I drove down to traing camp 2 or 3 times (it's about 9 or 10 miles), and posted a schedule right next to the computer. Right now I don't know the season opener date, or even who they play. Why do I have a feeling the guys in uniform feel something like that?

If the atmosphere at Fenway doesn't change things really fast, I fear a long season. I hope we see something a lot different in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, a long season.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  Last year you were pumped?  Last year at this time most people had turned their backs on the Red Sox and it wasn't until at least 2/3rds of the way through the season that people started to come back.

I'm more interested this year than a year ago.  I think the way they played last year and the way the front office managed the team made up for the 2011 collapse and the 2012 joke.  I think the organization as a whole has learned a lesson - they can't take the fans for granted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

maybe our perceived apathy has to do with yet another week of godforsaken polar vortex.  9F in jersey this morning driving in to work.  ridiculous.

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

It was about the same in NH.

Supposed to be even colder tonight, with snow Tues night.

Yippee!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

No kidding.

Yippee!

As of this morning,  the snow is projected to miss NH, B. Bulk of the storm will hit the Mass coastline.

BREAKING: 

BREAKING

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah this winning a World Series thing isn't what it's cracked up to be. 

[/QUOTE] well, now i know why Sox fans are three times as miserable as they were in 2003Tongue OutWink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

No kidding.

Yippee!

As of this morning,  the snow is projected to miss NH, B. Bulk of the storm will hit the Mass coastline.

Yup, we're supposed to get a dusting to 2".

Even that is too much now! lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fair enough, Exam.  Being here in Seattle I wasn't close to the Boston Strong feeling.  My family is all in NH where I grew up, and have only been to Boston on Patriots Day once in my life ('94, part of a 7 day stretch of going to Sox games for my vacation).  So it didn't touch me like many of you.  But still, I love baseball and the Sox, and get excited every year.  I did in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid, and still do today.  Can't wait for the season to start.

Keep one thing in mind though.  Just because last year can't be recreated doesn't mean the next time won't be special.  2004 couldn't be recreated either and there are some that say last year was even better.  Can you imagine if the Sox do win again?  Repeating in this day and age?  And if it is Bogaerts and Middlebrooks and Bradley in the middle of it all?  Mabye Vazquez or Brentz get called up for a bit and spark the team.  Could be special?  :)

[/QUOTE]

I agree, fizsh. While 2013 was one for the ages, we don't yet know what stories will be written this year.

If we wanted, we could spend every single spring contemplating how unlikely it is that we will win a championship that season (which it is, no matter how good you are), and get all gloomy before things even get started...but that's a pretty sad outlook, IMO. Just like every spring, I can't wait for the games to start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

The starting rotation seems pretty solid to me.  Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubrant and Peavy.  That is a pretty good starting 5.  I take it you are saying they should have signed another starter (but not saying who) and then, what, put Lackey in the bullpen?  Trade Lackey when other teams know the Sox would have to make a move?  Not buying the starting pitcher improvement.

By all reports, Vazquez will be ready next year.  Pierzynski is a one year move, and the best one year move they could make.  I don't see it as a drop off from last year.  Plus a healthy Ross means he can catch more this year.  Catcher looks ok.

The outfield you may have a point.  The reason they didn't make a big splash is to get under the tax threshold this year so they could reset the tax.  They can go over it next year.  But you still have Victorino and the Gomes/Nava platoon is a very good platoon.  The CF position in questionable, but they have confidence in Bradley and have taken a chance on Sizemore.  I find that to be better than to overpay for an Ellsbury.  Choo is not a CF, and I don't like the idea of moving Victorino to CF.  The few times he was out there last year he looked out of place. 

They improved the bullpen, a big key.  Their rotation is solid with kids at the ready for the inevitable injuries.  Their offense should still be potent enough with a healthy Pedroia, Ortiz and Napoli in the middle of the order.  Middlebrooks seems to be more of the 2012 version so far, but it is only spring.  He did look better at the end of last season though.  Bogaerts is a solid prospect, a top3 prospect.  The Sox could have the best offensive infield in the league.  As I have said, I think the Sox will compete, should get the wild card at least if not the division.  I am optimistic.  Another fun season ahead of us I think,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No kidding.

Yippee!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] i say we band together, hunt down the guy that broke Mother Nature's heart(causing all this snow) ..and beat the snot out of him :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Realistically, it is tough to win it all any season. Having won the previous season does not make it any tougher. What I don't like is the stand-pat attitude that we have seen this off season. That is not how to succeed in business. Accepting failure because it is " tough to repeat " is the stuff of losers. Let's see what happens. But if the Sox falter, it won't be because it is tough to repeat. It will be because not enough was done to stay on top.

[/QUOTE]

Have you heard, Galehouse?  The Red Sox have given Stan Patt his unconditional release.  

[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Stan Lopata?  Was he signed for catching depth ?  I had thought that he had passed away last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No kidding.

Yippee!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] i say we band together, hunt down the guy that broke Mother Nature's heart(causing all this snow) ..and beat the snot out of him :-)

[/QUOTE]

After that, we go after that furry bastid in Pa, Phil!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

As I always say enjoy the ride. 

Do not worry you have no control

do not expect the same as last year. Every year is different and you have no control.

Enjoy the ride as you have no control over the way they play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Fan apathy is perhaps to be expected, given the luster of a world championship.

But, I have a hard time seeing club apathy.

First, this is just an annual rite of spring to blow up the organization for not doing enough.  Anyone care to dig up last March's nuggets of gold.  I don't really care to bother, but there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth over the club not making any big signings, no much needed top of the rotation starter, no big bat in the middle.  Sound familiar?  There was so much "Poor young Ben overmatched by more experienced GMs" talk that you would think getting him out of diapers was the most crucial part of spring training.  As it turns out, he made great moves.

Second, the strategy this year, made possible only by the success of 2013, is to roll out the youth movement.  Bradley, Boegarts, sticking with Middlebrooks, signing a fill-in catcher on a short deal while the studs are groomed.  Personally, I think this is brilliant and will pay dividends in the years to come.  And, even if they do not produce at the level of a marquee free-agent in 2014, they will be a blast to watch develop under the big lights.  To me, I feel the polar opposite of apathy about this.  The funny thing is, the only thing that might derail the youth movement is the shrewd low-risk gamble pick up of Sizemore.  

Also, getting Mujica is gigantic.  He may not be Koji, that is too much to expect.  But a great back-end bullpen arm.  The depth and quality of pen by itself  itself makes the Sox post-season ready.

And the rotation?  It needs help?  Really?  Yes, all due respect to Bill and his annoying stupid posts, Buchholz' health is a question mark.  But you have Lester, lackey and Buchholz as your top three and that is a problem?  Um, no.  It is maybe the best top three in the AL outisde of Detroit, and those three beat Detroits top three when it counted, so there you go.  And don't tell Felix Doubront that there are three guys above him.  And Peavey as fifth starter?  I'll take it all year every year (yeah, I know Clay is the nominal fifth starter, but I am talking real-rotation order, not practicality-derived April set-up).

I am not predicting success.  I do not know.  I never know actually.  But, I like the way this particular club is set up.  Some see not making major moves as apathy.  I see it as good poker:  you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, and know when to trot out your rookies.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not predicting success.  I do not know.  I never know actually.  But, I like the way this particular club is set up.  Some see not making major moves as apathy.  I see it as good poker:  you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, and know when to trot out your rookies.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fan apathy is perhaps to be expected, given the luster of a world championship.

But, I have a hard time seeing club apathy.

First, this is just an annual rite of spring to blow up the organization for not doing enough.  Anyone care to dig up last March's nuggets of gold.  I don't really care to bother, but there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth over the club not making any big signings, no much needed top of the rotation starter, no big bat in the middle.  Sound familiar?  There was so much "Poor young Ben overmatched by more experienced GMs" talk that you would think getting him out of diapers was the most crucial part of spring training.  As it turns out, he made great moves.

Second, the strategy this year, made possible only by the success of 2013, is to roll out the youth movement.  Bradley, Boegarts, sticking with Middlebrooks, signing a fill-in catcher on a short deal while the studs are groomed.  Personally, I think this is brilliant and will pay dividends in the years to come.  And, even if they do not produce at the level of a marquee free-agent in 2014, they will be a blast to watch develop under the big lights.  To me, I feel the polar opposite of apathy about this.  The funny thing is, the only thing that might derail the youth movement is the shrewd low-risk gamble pick up of Sizemore.  

Also, getting Mujica is gigantic.  He may not be Koji, that is too much to expect.  But a great back-end bullpen arm.  The depth and quality of pen by itself  itself makes the Sox post-season ready.

And the rotation?  It needs help?  Really?  Yes, all due respect to Bill and his annoying stupid posts, Buchholz' health is a question mark.  But you have Lester, lackey and Buchholz as your top three and that is a problem?  Um, no.  It is maybe the best top three in the AL outisde of Detroit, and those three beat Detroits top three when it counted, so there you go.  And don't tell Felix Doubront that there are three guys above him.  And Peavey as fifth starter?  I'll take it all year every year (yeah, I know Clay is the nominal fifth starter, but I am talking real-rotation order, not practicality-derived April set-up).

[/QUOTE]

Right with ya brother.

I could not be more excited!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really like this pen, but it's always hard knowing for sure anything about anyone's bullpen.

Mujica, in my opinion, is not a "back-end bullpen arm". He pitched over 64 innings for the Cards last year and had 37 saves. He's has a WHIP under 1.042 in 4 straight seasons.

I also like picking up Badenhop, Capuano and Cordero for depth, and with Workman & Britton a year older, I'm really feeling good about our pen.

Uehara

Mujica

Tazawa

Breslow

Miller

Badenhop

Capuano

Ready to shine...

Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Cordero, Villareal, Layne, Wilson, Hinojosa, Hill, Watanabe and maybe even a starter like Ranaudo, Webster, Barnes, Kehrt or Owens at some point.

That's fine quality and quantity.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Apathy?  Don't see it.  My concern is a lack of hitting in ST--Sox now have lowest OPS of all 30 MLB teams in ST.  I am fine with all the trades and with the trades not done.  Pierzinski for Salty for one season while awaiting Vazquez makes all kinds of sense.  I wanted Drew signed, but can definitely live with MBR at 3B and Bogaerts at SS.  Ellsbury was I agree a big loss, but we all saw that coming after the 2010 season when his teammate badmouthed him publicly. Meanwhile Cherington has lined up to viable options, Sizemore and Bradley.  Neither can do what Ellsbury can do, but either/both should be capable. 

As far as I am concerned, Henry & Co are playing with house money this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really like this pen, but it's always hard knowing for sure anything about anyone's bullpen.

Mujica, in my opinion, is not a "back-end bullpen arm". He pitched over 64 innings for the Cards last year and had 37 saves. He's has a WHIP under 1.042 in 4 straight seasons.

I also like picking up Badenhop, Capuano and Cordero for depth, and with Workman & Britton a year older, I'm really feeling good about our pen.

Uehara

Mujica

Tazawa

Breslow

Miller

Badenhop

Capuano

Ready to shine...

Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Cordero, Villareal, Layne, Wilson, Hinojosa, Hill, Watanabe and maybe even a starter like Ranaudo, Webster, Barnes, Kehrt or Owens at some point.

That's fine quality and quantity.

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I meant back-end as in set-upman-closer end-of-game, not end of the bullpen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Back-end bullpen arm = late-inning bullpen arm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to one-for-the-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Exactly. That season was what I would have ordered if I wrote it out in March. No way we see something that amazing again anytime soon. Like the Ortiz grand slam, ths stuff just does not happen in real life. How could you ever top that season?

how could you top 2004?

and yet, they did

I just dont understand the apathy, I feel sad for the original poster

Don't; I have had more ups and owns since my first game (in 1932) than anyone had a right to have. I'll be glued to ExtraInnings (or ESPN, or whatever) from the opening pitch; especially since I just noticed they are playing the Orioles, and I can't stand that sourpuss who manages them. I disliked him in NY and even more so with Baltimore. Near the end of the 2012 season I wrote a poem (another passion), ad I hope I neve have to write another one like it. Here it is:

Fenway Park

I’d like to stroll
        Around Fenway Park
        Some night when it’s snowing
        And really dark.

I want to hear
        What goes on with the ghosts
        And I want to lift
        A few goodbye toasts

Not so much
        To the Teds and the Groves
        But to the unknown kids