Apologies to Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Apologies to Drew

I admit I was OK with Drew failing because I so disliked everything about JD.

I was wrong (about Stephen).  He's doing better than I thought he could -- hope he keeps it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Apologies to Drew

You are forgiven ;)

Hes not the guy the last 2 years that was dealing with a bad ankle break and being traded mid season to another team.

Maybe a few others will realize that Stephen Drew is one of the better MLB SS. No, hes no Iggy on defense, but hes a very solid sure handed defender with a very high OPS for a MLB SS.

This is who he is.

Maybe that QO that I suggested as a possibility for Drew a couple months ago isnt so far fetched now. If he keeps this up, its a very possible reality.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You are forgiven ;)

Hes not the guy the last 2 years that was dealing with a bad ankle break and being traded mid season to another team.

Maybe a few others will realize that Stephen Drew is one of the better MLB SS. No, hes no Iggy on defense, but hes a very solid sure handed defender with a very high OPS for a MLB SS.

This is who he is.

Maybe that QO that I suggested as a possibility for Drew a couple months ago isnt so far fetched now. If he keeps this up, its a very possible reality.

South, 

At only 30 years of age could he be our SS for more than one season if the youngsters take longer to mature, move Boggy to third, etc. He's a solid addition to this team, finally over his injuries, I hope. 

Hetch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

You are forgiven ;)

This is who he is.

South, 

At only 30 years of age could he be our SS for more than one season if the youngsters take longer to mature, move Boggy to third, etc. He's a solid addition to this team, finally over his injuries, I hope. 

Hetch

Hey Hetch!

On another Drew thread i posted stats that say hes one of the best MLB SS on offense and defense. His injury really hurt his overall numbers and some here tried to use that against him. Hes a better overall SS than IGGY will every be IMHO. Hes been underrated because he doesnt make the highlight reel plays, but he makes all the plays look relatively easy and has one of the best bats in MLB for a SS.

Ive been a fan of his for a few years after interviewing him a couple times. (I didnt interview him as I was the producer for the talk show) But I got to speak with him off air for a few on a couple different occasions. hes a cool guy and thats when I became a fan. Needless to say, I was thrilled when we signed him, even if for 1 year. I would have no issue giving Drew a 3-4 year deal. We would then have a proven top MLB SS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I admit I was OK with Drew failing because I so disliked everything about JD.

I was wrong (about Stephen).  He's doing better than I thought he could -- hope he keeps it up.

Me too!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think I owe Mr Drew an apology also....Many, and I have to include myself have a tendency to quickly judge players on first impressions and what we see on the STAT pages.....after seeing him play everyday and watch him get better and better as he came back from the injuries, I can see why he was a higly regarded shortstop.....I was listening to Billy Ripken on the MLB network a few days ago, say he thought the best SS in the AL was JJ Hardy....not becasue he was the flashiest, but that he could be always depended on to make the plays.....that is Stephen Drew also 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

You are forgiven ;)

This is who he is.

South, 

Hetch

Hey Hetch!

On another Drew thread i posted stats that say hes one of the best MLB SS on offense and defense. His injury really hurt his overall numbers and some here tried to use that against him. Hes a better overall SS than IGGY will every be IMHO. Hes been underrated because he doesnt make the highlight reel plays, but he makes all the plays look relatively easy and has one of the best bats in MLB for a SS.

Ive been a fan of his for a few years after interviewing him a couple times. (I didnt interview him as I was the producer for the talk show) But I got to speak with him off air for a few on a couple different occasions. hes a cool guy and thats when I became a fan. Needless to say, I was thrilled when we signed him, even if for 1 year. I would have no issue giving Drew a 3-4 year deal. We would then have a proven top MLB SS.

South, 

Sounds like you've an interesting job. What I find discouraging on this board and elsewhere is the negative perceptions of many with regard to many of our athletes, or how some blow great very good or great player out of proportion, thinking just because they hit .330 they must be wonderful folks. It with some is either feast or famine, they are either a sports hero or a bum. Of course I'm exaggerating or over generalizing a bit. But I for one try to stay middle of the road, not idolize, and not scorn or name call player that fail either. 

A short, but not sports related story. I'm a child of the 50s-60s, grew up on folk music, classic rock and roll. I've my favorites as we all do but except for one or two rarely ever put anyone on a pedestal. EXCEPT FOR ONE>

We were at the Somerville Theatre about 7-8 years ago with my one idol on stage, Joan Baez. I never ever go back stage, but for Joanny I made an exception. I actually got a hug and peck on the cheek when I told her I was a lifelong fan. In person, she is as warm and lovely as one could expect !! She is my one exception to my rule !!

Hetch

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As  SOFTY might say .......... 1/Drew is not his brother......  2/ Steven tends to grow on you...............   3/He is not IGGY'S glove...............  4/ I do like his bat & steady play ......  I think that is what SOFTY would say, can't speak for him has he has been granted passage to RUSSIA !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

No, Softy said $9M was $8.9M too much for Stephen Drew.

I'm happy for him - if he finishes strong, he'll get a nice contract this winter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

His lifetime batting stats indicate a drop off in most categories, I would never commit to this guy for 3 years or more.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

His lifetime batting stats indicate a drop off in most categories, I would never commit to this guy for 3 years or more.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

I doubt Boston ever will.  Makes sense to give him a QO however. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You are forgiven ;)

This is who he is.

South, 

Hetch

Hey Hetch!

South, 

Sounds like you've an interesting job. What I find discouraging on this board and elsewhere is the negative perceptions of many with regard to many of our athletes, or how some blow great very good or great player out of proportion, thinking just because they hit .330 they must be wonderful folks. It with some is either feast or famine, they are either a sports hero or a bum. Of course I'm exaggerating or over generalizing a bit. But I for one try to stay middle of the road, not idolize, and not scorn or name call player that fail either. 

A short, but not sports related story. I'm a child of the 50s-60s, grew up on folk music, classic rock and roll. I've my favorites as we all do but except for one or two rarely ever put anyone on a pedestal. EXCEPT FOR ONE>

We were at the Somerville Theatre about 7-8 years ago with my one idol on stage, Joan Baez. I never ever go back stage, but for Joanny I made an exception. I actually got a hug and peck on the cheek when I told her I was a lifelong fan. In person, she is as warm and lovely as one could expect !! She is my one exception to my rule !!

Hetch

Cool story hetch. Im not in radio/media anymore. Did it in Florida for 15+ years. After the show host I worked with for years passed away, I kind of lost my passion for it. The media started to really change anyway with the Michael Felger and Joe Haggerty types. Just concerned about getting a reaction and creating dirt on a player than being a true journalist. There still are some really good ones around, but its the guys who are more into entertainment that are getting the ratings. We didnt do that. We were entertaining, but if there was something negative to report with proof, we reported it. We never created a story. Thats how we gained the respect from a lot a players/managers/GM's/Owners insports. We had access to a LOT of big names to confirm certain things, get input from someone who would know, and get an interview whenever we needed.

Anyway, It was very fun while it lasted. I have a lot of great memories and learned a lot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i actually said last week that given his age, i wouldnt mind giving him a 2 yr 15 mil contract....that would give Boggie some time to develop and keep us in solid position at least fielding wise....he is a streaky hitter...not so impressed by his heroics against houston but def improving now

As always - 100% correct!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Those numbers are due to his injury that hurt his 2011 and 2012 numbers drastically...Once again...Context.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

As  SOFTY might say .......... 1/Drew is not his brother......  2/ Steven tends to grow on you...............   3/He is not IGGY'S glove...............  4/ I do like his bat & steady play ......  I think that is what SOFTY would say, can't speak for him has he has been granted passage to RUSSIA !!!!

You would never hear Softy say that billy boy... Softy couldnt stand the guy, and now that Stephen Drew is playing well it probably causes him great pain cuz YET AGAIN softy proved he knows jack sh1t about baseball. Sometimes i wonder why you align yourself with him bill, you seem like atleast a somewhat knowing baseball fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I said from the beginning that Drew has a great looking swing and he would hit.  I think he is a solid player and the Sox should explore bringing him back next year and beyond.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We don't have to comit to Drew long term nor should we, but he's getting a QO and it wouldn't be horrible if he accepts it.  Actually Napoli/Salty/Ellsbury/Drew are all getting QO; although I'd put Napoli in the maybe bin.   If Drew accepts, then we can still start Bogaerts at 3B.  If Middlebrooks looks good then who knows, maybe he can move off position or maybe someone gets hurt you never know what is going to happen so that is why having too many guys is always a good problem.  

In a perfect world WMB is at 3B and Bogaerts is at SS and some team who is around the 12th worst team in baseball signs Drew.  But who knows what happens.

Regardless of your feelings on the issue and your feelings towards Drew before I think we can all agree that he is swinging a nice bat when the Sox really need him to.  He's also been deceptively good at SS this year.  There was a theory that his defense has been bad the last few years as he has never really recovered from his injurys....perhaps he is fully healed and ramped back up now.  Might need to give him a look at the #5 hole ( I know he can't hit there every night but it wouldn't hurt right now for alittle while against righties) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'll admit I wanted the guy out of the lineup but he's really come around w/ bat. I just wasn't patient enough. Thank goodness I'm not a manager lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Ehh...supported Drew for the longest but admit had about given up on him....nice to see him get going just when we really needed it.  Kinda sums up the team this year - somebody manages to step up and get it done and keep this team in the race.  This Bud's for you!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Drew is much like Baltimore's JJ Hardy. Solid to excellent on D, and steady and clutch with the bat. One of the Iggy boosters was going to track all the plays that "Iggy would make" over the ones that Drew actually did make. That was a waste of time, there just weren't that many, and then you had to add in the errors that Iggy actually did make, and that made Drew look like the better player.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I said from the beginning that Drew has a great looking swing and he would hit.  I think he is a solid player and the Sox should explore bringing him back next year and beyond.

Those Drew boys do have amazingly pretty swings.....maybe the sweetest I have ever seen

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I felt all season Iggy's BA would drop into the .225-.250 range and Drew's wasn't much better than .225--I felt Drew might bring a better player or prospects if traded. I was shocked when Iggy went and Drew stayed and even more shocked that we got a quality pitcher like Peavy in return.

I don't think I would do more than 2 years unless you put several incentives into the package. He's a fine SS and when healthy will continue to swing a sweet productive bat. In time XBo will either play 3 B, SS or LF with Cecchini probably at 3 B long term and if WMB sticks around I see him platooning with Carp at 1 B.

Since Cecchini arrived at AA it seems most of the very productive hitters have been moved to AAA. Pitchers at AA are not giving him much to hit but I do think he will be part of a revampted corner Inf. next season in Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Drew is much like Baltimore's JJ Hardy. Solid to excellent on D, and steady and clutch with the bat. One of the Iggy boosters was going to track all the plays that "Iggy would make" over the ones that Drew actually did make. That was a waste of time, there just weren't that many, and then you had to add in the errors that Iggy actually did make, and that made Drew look like the better player.

Yeah, I think he put the number around 40-60 plays for the year, or more. I actually did LOL when i read that number. if Iggy would make that many more plays that Drew, then Drew wouldnt be a SS in MLB. Some here vastly overrated Iggys defense. hes great, but come on...Drew is much better than people give him credit for.

Sections
Shortcuts