apologies to the skipper

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

apologies to the skipper

My apologies to John Farrell.  Apparently he knows better than me.  After Nava gets on base with Gomes in the on deck circle, I'm going ballastic when I don't see Carp the left handed hitter come out of the dugout to pinch hit for Gomes with no outs to insure moving the runner to 2B in scoring position with one out.

Perhaps the skipper had an early dinner engagement and wanted to end it quickly. Laughing

Either way, he was right,  and quite obviously, I was wrong.

GO SOX. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

Re: apologies to the skipper

In response to dustcover's comment:

My apologies to John Farrell.  Apparently he knows better than me.  After Nava gets on base with Gomes in the on deck circle, I'm going ballastic when I don't see Carp the left handed hitter come out of the dugout to pinch hit for Gomes with no outs to insure moving the runner to 2B in scoring position with one out.

Perhaps the skipper had an early dinner engagement and wanted to end it quickly. Laughing

GO SOX. 

Gomes was 4/8 off Peralta with 2 HR coming in to that AB. Any other RHP and it probably was Carp. I was thinking the same until Gomes line VS Peralta up on the screen. Turned out ok.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He was mad at you for criticizing his decision to start Gomes.  So he put Bailey in so he could let TB tie it, so Gomes could win it in the 9th.

Or, it is entirely possible that Carp just couldn't play.  Even if it isn't serious, you can't take a chance on a grounder, and having Carp running fullout trying to beat the throw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

He was mad at you for criticizing his decision to start Gomes.  So he put Bailey in so he could let TB tie it, so Gomes could win it in the 9th.

Or, it is entirely possible that Carp just couldn't play.  Even if it isn't serious, you can't take a chance on a grounder, and having Carp running fullout trying to beat the throw.

Would you pull a batter with that much success against the opposing pitcher? Farrell did pull Doubront about 10 minutes earlier though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Read nick Cafardo.   Carp could hit, but peralta equally effective against righties and lefties, so stay with gomes.  Farrell equally sure in sending Bailey out for the 9th.  I wasn't.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

GO SOX. 

Thats OK,  J F , like BILL-806 are quite conditioned to be 2nd guessed on this board !!!!!       >RESPECT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Excellent point :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

GO SOX. 

Do you think he knows more then you? Why do arm chair viewers always think they know more then managers ,coaches, players. No need to apologize, they could care less what we think.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Read nick Cafardo.   Carp could hit, but peralta equally effective against righties and lefties, so stay with gomes.  Farrell equally sure in sending Bailey out for the 9th.  I wasn't.  

You're right, I just caught Cafardo's insightful article on the skipper's thought process.  "Jonny Gomes batted in the ninth in a situation normally reserved for Mike Carp, who sat out both ends to rest cramps in his hamstring. Carp was available to hit, but Joel Peralta has held lefthanders to .175 average coming in and .176 to righties. So Farrell figured, what's the difference? Gomes batted and won the game."

Gee, I so wish I could be in the dugout during the strategy sessions when key situations arise.  But I guess the brass knew what they were doing when they picked Farrell to manage the team instead of me. Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

But I still would have sent Doubront out to start the 9th! Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

But I still would have sent Doubront out to start the 9th! Laughing

I agree as he only had done 94 pitches(I think) and gave up 3 hits and no walks. It was Bailey who gave up the 1 walk, fortunately, after the tying HR.  I'm an old timer and I remember years ago when it was a real plumb for a pitcher to complete the game and some went to 120 pitches. As favorable as ERAs, I remember they'd be judged on WOW...3-4 complete games etc. At least let him start the 9th & then if he gives up a hit or walk & looks fatigued, replace him. And Bailey is no Paplebon or Mariano Rivera .