Appaling ignorance on this board

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Appaling ignorance on this board

Countless threads about the lineup, Bryd, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Crawford, whoever, but none on the sorry shape of the pitching staff. There have even been threads on morale, attitude, Bobby V, hustle, etc. But none on pitching. I am proud to say I have repeatedly said the only problem worth focusing on is pitching. It was lousy in 2009, 2010, and 2011, but those staffs were not the worst in MLB, except for last years in /September. This staff is the worst in MLB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

Re: Appaling ignorance on this board

My ignorance says catching

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Yep but guys who are supposed to be good, arent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Appaling ignorance on this board:
    Countless threads about the lineup, Bryd, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Crawford, whoever, but none on the sorry shape of the pitching staff. There have even been threads on morale, attitude, Bobby V, hustle, etc. But none on pitching. I am proud to say I have repeatedly said the only problem worth focusing on is pitching. It was lousy in 2009, 2010, and 2011, but those staffs were not the worst in MLB, except for last years in /September. This staff is the worst in MLB.
    Posted by maxbialystock

can i say that the root of it all was the resigning of becket and the signing of lackey? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

There's enough blame to go around.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Plenty of time left.....stop living and dying on every loss...first third of season is to see what you have and as we can see some moves need to be made.....season is far from over....very far....you think other teams are going to maintain their current spots? RELAX

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

In Response to Re: Appaling ignorance on this board:
    Plenty of time left.....stop living and dying on every loss...first third of season is to see what you have and as we can see some moves need to be made.....season is far from over....very far....you think other teams are going to maintain their current spots? RELAX
    Posted by Iceman4

Looks like they need just about everything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: Appaling ignorance on this board":
    My ignorance says catching Posted by rvicini
    That thought has occurred to me as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Appaling ignorance on this board : can i say that the root of it all was the resigning of becket and the signing of lackey? 
    Posted by seattlepat70

That's exactly it, we could have used that money to get anything else as far as I am considered. Lackey was the worst signing of all, maybe more so than Lugo. Buch isn't worthy of being a number 3 and Doubrant is showing promise, while I am still skeptical about Bard.

I can only hope we go after Cole Hamels once he is available.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

It starts at the top

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Plenty of time left.....stop living and dying on every loss...first third of season is to see what you have and as we can see some moves need to be made.....season is far from over....very far....you think other teams are going to maintain their current spots? RELAX Posted by Iceman4
    Completely agree. Still more than 90% of the season to play. However, this month is actually a continuation of last September when the team ERA was the worst in MLB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

I can only hope we go after Cole Hamels once he is available.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]
    And my hope is that the reason Cashman was passive with CJ Wilson, was the same reason he did that with Johan waiting on CC.  He wants Hamels.

Sox aren't going to be last, they may be behind the Yanks and the Rays this year but they will have a decent season and impressive streaks and reload for 2013.  They just got a little bad mojo going right now.  Reminds me of those talented Yanks teams that included Gary Sheffieild and Kenny Lofton and couldn't win.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim M. Show Jim M's posts

I agree entirely with  your observation!  Why the heck are we pursuing an outfielder when it is clear we need a whole new pitching staff, coaches and all!  The pitching went away when John Farrell left for Toronto.  Whether its a lack of talent or moral, it starts with the leadership!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

This not a bad start. This is a streak that started last september. This is a trend.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Theo ruined the team with his personnel moves and they let him leave with no consequences. The ownership even let him screw them with the compensation for him.  Imagine these idiots let him go with even making him pay.

This team will need a miracle to recover.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Appaling ignorance on this board:
    Posted by maxbialystock

My problem with your postis when you say ONLY problem worth focusing on. Today's loss was demoralizing because of the way the bullpen imploded. But take a look at Lester's first two starts, Bard's start this week, Beckett's last start, all great pitching performances in games the Sox lost because the offense didn't score.

I haven't been on any bandwagon except to say that the bad start has been because of offense and pitching.

What's frustrating about today was that Padilla, Albers, Morales and Aceves have all pitched well. And if they're not great, they still should be able to combine for three innings and hold a nine-run lead.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

I agree entirely with  your observation!  Why the heck are we pursuing an outfielder when it is clear we need a whole new pitching staff, coaches and all!  The pitching went away when John Farrell left for Toronto.  Whether its a lack of talent or moral, it starts with the leadership! Posted by Jimmart
    ^^^^^^winnar^^^^^^^ no leadership = no wins

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

What I don't get is why so many are blaming this on Valentine.  It is fairly obvious that what's killing us is pitching.  Starters are not consistent and the relievers just can't hold a lead.  How that is Valentine's fault is beyond me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Bill actually I do.........if you want to jump ship..jump You were wanting all these changes last year...you got them..now .because they are struggling you want to overreact again......how many games left? How far back are they? Once again ...if you don't like this team,follow another

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

royf19,

I'm happy to agree that most pitchers on this staff have had good games/innings, but the totality of the pitching staff is a disaster, especially when the three veteran starters have each been pummeled.  To me the signature game of the season wasn't today, but was game 3 in Detroit when the Sox gave the bullpen a three run lead in the 9th and a two run lead in the 11th, and both times the bullpen gave up three runs. 

As others have noted, this trend is not new.  Last month, also known as September 2011, the Sox had the worst ERA in MLB and blew 6 of 9 saves.  In 2009, 2010, and 2011 the team ERA was 8th or 9th in the AL. 

My point remains.  Until the pitching is fixed, the hitters, who are also the fielders, are going to feel a lot of frustration watching opposing teams get big leads or, worse, overcome big Sox leads. 

This is all on the front office, although some of it might fall on the pitching coach and the two catchers. 

The hitting, meanwhile, remains pretty good.  Best in MLB last year, and somewhere around 7th in MLB after today.  It could be better, but it is way, way, way better than the sorry pitching. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lives2ski. Show lives2ski's posts

Theo ruined the team with his personnel moves and they let him leave with no consequences. The ownership even let him screw them with the compensation for him.  Imagine these idiots let him go with even making him pay. This team will need a miracle to recover.  
    Posted by concord27

Make up your mind.  If Theo ruined the team, presumably if you were running things you would have fired him.  But you are also complaining that they didn't get adequate compensation for him?????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Appaling ignorance on this board : can i say that the root of it all was the resigning of becket and the signing of lackey? 
    Posted by seattlepat70

first bit of common sense I've heard in a while.

Sections
Shortcuts