April

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

April

The Sox have 15 games left this month. In 2010, we were 11-12 for the month of April, which I felt was a significant factor in not making the PS.

The RS need to go 11-4 just to get to .500 ball for April. IMO, this is an absolute must! A losing April equates to a lost PS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

Re: April

I don't think we can say a losing record in April means no playoffs.  THis is a really good team, if they can get close to .500 and be within 6 or 7 games at the end of the month then  I think they will be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm gonna hold you to that Alibike! and remember you said it...............April.
    with 5 good warm months ahead of em.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No absolutes Ike.  A sub par April is not good, and I am with you that there is some urgency to turn this ship around in short order.  But there is no such absolute about losing April translating into no playoffs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: April:
    I'm gonna hold you to that Alibike! and remember you said it...............April. with 5 good warm months ahead of em.
    Posted by Hammah29r2

I do hope I'm wrong Hammah.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

No absolutes Ike.  A sub par April is not good, and I am with you that there is some urgency to turn this ship around in short order.  But there is no such absolute about losing April translating into no playoffs.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Perhaps. If we were in the Central or West, I would not make that prediction, But there are 3 other tough teams in the East.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't know if the Sox have to completely reverse things by end of April. As long as they are 4 - 7 games out of 1st, they will be fine heading into the summer. However, I certainly do not believe they can survive if they continue losing like they are. I think if they play .500 ball for the rest of the month, they will be in good shape. if they go 5 -10, then that is another story altogether.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to April:
    The Sox have 15 games left this month. In 2010, we were 11-12 for the month of April, which I felt was a significant factor in not making the PS. The RS need to go 11-4 just to get to .500 ball for April. IMO, this is an absolute must! A losing April equates to a lost PS.
    Posted by Alibiike

This is utterly ridiculous. Get a grip for crying out loud. The Sox were 11-12, 18-11 and 18-9 when healthy last year. They were 12-13, 15-13, 13-14 and 2-1 when they were injury riddled. I think the injuries in the second half of the season hurt more than one bad month when healthy and they already recovered from the start.

Teams can half one month of sub.-.500 ball and still have great years. I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

The goal for April should be to get as close as possible to .500 -- within a game or two
    For instance:
    In 2009 (95 wins), they had months of 15-14, 13-12 and 15-13. That's half a season of being just four games over .500.

In 2008 (95 wins), they had an 11-13 month.

In 2007 (96 wins), they had a 13-14 month.

In 2005 (95 wins), they had months of 12-11 and 14-13.

In 2004 (98 wins), they had an 11-14 month. By that measure, the Sox still would be in decent shape this year if they went 12-15 in April.
    And the 2004 Sox weren't great for all of the other five months. In addition to the 11-14 month, they had months of 16-14 and 14-12. So for three months, half the season -- and they were three consecutive months -- the Sox were 41-40. 

So can we all keep some perspective? One month, no matter when it comes, doesn't make or break a season. If the Sox are just 10-17 at the end of the month, then perhaps I'll worry more.

The Sox are 2-9. They need to do better than 8-8 the rest of the month. But if they go 10-6 or 11-5, not an impossible task, and finish 12-15 or 13-14, they'll be just fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: April : Perhaps. If we were in the Central or West, I would not make that prediction, But there are 3 other tough teams in the East.
    Posted by Alibiike

Thats the beauty of the Beast though.  With a whole division of tough clubs, we all eat each other alive.  No one is pulling away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to April : This is utterly ridiculous. Get a grip for crying out loud. The Sox were 11-12, 18-11 and 18-9 when healthy last year. They were 12-13, 15-13, 13-14 and 2-1 when they were injury riddled. I think the injuries in the second half of the season hurt more than one bad month when healthy and they already recovered from the start. Teams can half one month of sub.-.500 ball and still have great years. I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here. The goal for April should be to get as close as possible to .500 -- within a game or two . For instance: In 2009 (95 wins), they had months of 15-14, 13-12 and 15-13. That's half a season of being just four games over .500. In 2008 (95 wins), they had an 11-13 month. In 2007 (96 wins), they had a 13-14 month. In 2005 (95 wins), they had months of 12-11 and 14-13. In 2004 (98 wins), they had an 11-14 month. By that measure, the Sox still would be in decent shape this year if they went 12-15 in April. And the 2004 Sox weren't great for all of the other five months. In addition to the 11-14 month, they had months of 16-14 and 14-12. So for three months, half the season -- and they were three consecutive months -- the Sox were 41-40.  So can we all keep some perspective? One month, no matter when it comes, doesn't make or break a season. If the Sox are just 10-17 at the end of the month, then perhaps I'll worry more. The Sox are 2-9. They need to do better than 8-8 the rest of the month. But if they go 10-6 or 11-5, not an impossible task, and finish 12-15 or 13-14, they'll be just fine.
    Posted by royf19

I agree that they need to be close to .500. As long as no one else is runnig away with it, there's hope. But someone needs to light a fire under this team, they are too good a team to have this kind of record.
    I expect this kind of poor start from the Rays and the O's (although their exceptional pitching and timely hitting has kept them on top), not from my beloved Red Sox!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

We know the hitters will hit but will the pitchers pitch?  Lester is a given.  We expect Buck to show up eventually but we have no clue about Beckett, Lackey and Dick-K as to how they will perform this year and as they go, so will go the club.  If even one of them reaches their potential or has a career year, the division will belong to the Sox - anything else good will be gravy.

However:

Dice-K is not looking like the horse that will help pull the playoff wagon - he couldn't pull a toy wagon at this stage of his career.

Lackey is not looking much better but I still believe he is a .500 pitcher at worst.

Beckett is looking better but one never knows when the back will go and the season along with it.

Wake - I hate to even put his name here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It is going to be very rough for any team in the AL East to run off with 9 - 10 consecutive wins. None of the pitching staffs are unbeatable. Personally, I think only the Phils can do that during the regular season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It is going to be very rough for any team in the AL East to run off with 9 - 10 consecutive wins. None of the pitching staffs are unbeatable. Personally, I think only the Phils can do that during the regular season.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yeah, but I don't think anyone expected Cleveland to run off 8 straight.
    It's going to be a very strange season indeed, IMHO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: April : Yeah, but I don't think anyone expected Cleveland to run off 8 straight. It's going to be a very strange season indeed, IMHO.
    Posted by Alibiike

Yeah - true. It goes to show you how little attention I pay that city.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

at least everyone agrees its AprilTongue out

i don't think you need to be too concerned with the standing until july. the key for the sox, as any club, is not to dig themselves such a big hole they cant get out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

and it's not like someone is dusting the rest of the field right now...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

at least everyone agrees its April i don't think you need to be too concerned with the standing until july. the key for the sox, as any club, is not to dig themselves such a big hole they cant get out.
    Posted by J-BAY

I really wouldn't agree with that Jay. Although it has been done before, I think the last thing you want is to be 15 games out come the end of May. But as you said, clubs cannot afford to dig themselves into a hole in which they cannot climb out of.

Baltimore looks very hungry. They were getting their tails whipped yesterday, but they went at it with every at bat and I think put a scare into Girardi. I think the same can be said for Toronto.

The AL East is going to be bloody this year. The key is to beat the teams you should and see how you fair against everyone else. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: April : I really wouldn't agree with that Jay. Although it has been done before, I think the last thing you want is to be 15 games out come the end of May. But as you said, clubs cannot afford to dig themselves into a hole in which they cannot climb out of. Baltimore looks very hungry. They were getting their tails whipped yesterday, but they went at it with every at bat and I think put a scare into Girardi. I think the same can be said for Toronto. The AL East is going to be bloody this year. The key is to beat the teams you should and see how you fair against everyone else. 
    Posted by jesseyeric

didnt you hear jess, the sox are running away with it this yearWinkTongue out

i hear ya, but i think everyone tends to forget just what a long haul and grind the season is. if teams can win more series than not, stay relatively healthy, its more about how you finish.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from evansisthereal24. Show evansisthereal24's posts

I think the Spring Training skid and the bad start could have an effect on team confidence.  We needed a sweep of Tampa.  Hopefully the pitching can start keeping the runs down and give the offense a chance.  If not it will be a long season - but I am pretty sure they won't be 2-160Tongue out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i dont know what it is. i'm not sure they do either, which is why its hard to fix. changing the lineup hasn't helped. its been equally the failure of the pitching and lack of offense. If Lester and Beckett can pitch as well as their last outing, bucholtz returns to 2010 form, and the offense takes off, we'll see the team we thought they'd be. if, if, if........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox need to at least stop the bleeding over the next two or three weeks. Being four or five out at the All Star break would be doable. But if they continue to play poorly and fall something like twenty under .500 , it will be all over early. Management would become " sellers " and try to re-build for next year. So, to say that we should not be worried because there are 151 games remaining is really not the case.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts