Arbitration settlements

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Arbitration settlements

Salty gets 4.5M

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/red-sox-jarrod-saltalamacchia-avoid-arbitration-1.html

Sorry, the link window isnt working...Have to manually do it.

http://transactions.mlbtraderumors.com/widget/arbitration-submissions&link=true&widget=true&YEAR=2012&submission_Team_ID=4&submission_signed_YN=2

The second link is the MLBTR arbitration tracker...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Arbitration settlements

Solid deal.  I know a lot are down on Salty....as am I.  But he has only been here for really one season and had HUGE shoes to fill at his position.  His bat is solid....a few clutch hits and mid 20HR power.  Yes, he still has to improve behind the plate....but in actuality...there really are only a handful of catchers that had better seasons than Salty.  It's a very weak position in MLB right now so to have 3 solid catchers under contract right now is a huge plus.  If he sticks with the Sox all year I think a .260 25 65 season is well within reach.....which is pretty solid at the catcher position and out of 7-8 hole in the lineup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive wanted Salty to play his final arb year in Boston from the start. No, hes not a top catcher. but like you said, theres not a lot good of MLB catchers in todays MLB.He falls somewhere in the middle.

Im hoping after learning from Tek for a year, having a year on his own and now being able to pick the brains of Tek AND Ross, that Salty can put it all together with an AVG above 250, an obp around .320 and his improving defense.

If he does good, we'll have more options available to us with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ive wanted Salty to play his final arb year in Boston from the start. No, hes not a top catcher. but like you said, theres not a lot good of MLB catchers in todays MLB.He falls somewhere in the middle.

Im hoping after learning from Tek for a year, having a year on his own and now being able to pick the brains of Tek AND Ross, that Salty can put it all together with an AVG above 250, an obp around .320 and his improving defense.

Shop seemed to have a good effect on him too. He's just taking it all in. Vtek is in the FO too so i'm sure hes still learning from him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Shop seemed to have a good effect on him too. He's just taking it all in. Vtek is in the FO too so i'm sure hes still learning from him.

He'll have all the help he needs with Tek and now Ross around...Look for more improvement from Salty this year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

This contract seems very reasonable which also makes Salty an attractive trade candidate, especially given the weakness of the position in MLB right now.  With Napoli in the fold, I can't see them keeping Salty, Ross and Lava.  The 1 yr deal with Napoli and his questionalble hip are likely the only things that may keep Salty (or Lava) from being dealt before the July trade deadline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Amazing when a dime a dozen, .247 life time hitting outfielder gets 4.3 mill., Carlos Gomez. Amazing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

He'll have all the help he needs with Tek and now Ross around...Look for more improvement from Salty this year...

We also have Gary Tuck our bullpen coach, who's among the best catching instructors in the game. Salty will never be a gold glove catcher, but can continue to improve with work. I expect him to have a solid season and with Farrel managing and overseeing the entire pitching program. My guess is that we'll see marked improvement by the staff and as a result of his tutelege of the pitching staff and putting in place disiplines with his new pitching instructor, we'll see a positive spike in Salty's CERA

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

We also have Gary Tuck our bullpen coach, who's among the best catching instructors in the game. Salty will never be a gold glove catcher, but can continue to improve with work. I expect him to have a solid season and with Farrel managing and overseeing the entire pitching program. My guess is that we'll see marked improvement by the staff and as a result of his tutelege of the pitching staff and putting in place disiplines with his new pitching instructor, we'll see a positive spike in Salty's CERA

Thanks. Forgot about Tuck...I think Lav should start in AAA with a Salty/Ross combo. With Naps hip issues, I doubt they hand him a catchers mit unless it was absolutely necessary...

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Unbelievable!

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Ellsbury play. However, last year he hit a whooping 4 dingers and had almost zero impact in an injury plaqued year. For that, he gets a raise??? - Nine million yet. Did't that warrant, dare I say, a CUT?...... Jeez Louise!

Ya think these guys could, ya know, actually "Play" to get rewarded?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Strangeglove's comment:

Unbelievable!

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Ellsbury play. However, last year he hit a whooping 4 dingers and had almost zero impact in an injury plaqued year. For that, he gets a raise??? - Nine million yet. Did't that warrant, dare I say, a CUT?...... Jeez Louise!

Many times the arb system ends up giving players less than the "market cost" would have been had that player been a FA. What would Ellsbury have gotten for a 1 year deal as a FA after 2011? Maybe $20M/1? 

One could say that this year's deal cancels out last year's deal, and on and on...

It's not really a fair system, but much of what people get paid all over the world is not based on fairness.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Unbelievable!

i dont think a player should get a paycut for something that is out of their control (in this case an injury). If it was the players own fault then you could justify it. But it is hard to swallow seeing players who did nothing over the season get a raise (bailey, ells). But i guess the whole point of the arb/FA thing it is make back the reduced money you were being paid in the pre-arb years..

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Now that Ellsbury is under contract for 2013, time to trade him.

He could have been traded just as easily last week, month or year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Unbelievable!

i dont think a player should get a paycut for something that is out of their control (in this case an injury). If it was the players own fault then you could justify it. But it is hard to swallow seeing players who did nothing over the season get a raise (bailey, ells). But i guess the whole point of the arb/FA thing it is make back the reduced money you were being paid in the pre-arb years..

You cant get a paycut in arbitration mef.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hanrahan just signed for 7M

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

So basically all the bigger cases, except Bailey, are done. Now just a bunch o 1-2M cases left...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Unbelievable! Don't get me wrong, I love watching Ellsbury play. However, last year he hit a whooping 4 dingers and had almost zero impact in an injury plaqued year. For that, he gets a raise??? - Nine million yet. Did't that warrant, dare I say, a CUT?...... Jeez Louise! Ya think these guys could, ya know, actually "Play" to get rewarded?

I'm no great fan of Jacoby Ellsbury, but the MLB salary structure gave the Red Sox a huge discount with a 2012 salary of $8.05 million after Ellsbury's historic 2011 season. Focus on the big picture instead of the year-to-year fluctuation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Unbelievable! Don't get me wrong, I love watching Ellsbury play. However, last year he hit a whooping 4 dingers and had almost zero impact in an injury plaqued year. For that, he gets a raise??? - Nine million yet. Did't that warrant, dare I say, a CUT?...... Jeez Louise! Ya think these guys could, ya know, actually "Play" to get rewarded?

I'm no great fan of Jacoby Ellsbury, but the MLB salary structure gave the Red Sox a huge discount with a 2012 salary of $8.05 million after Ellsbury's historic 2011 season. Focus on the big picture instead of the year-to-year fluctuation.

Some here suffer from SMS, hill...Selective Memory Syndrome

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Now that Ellsbury is under contract for 2013, time to trade him.

He could have been traded just as easily last week, month or year.

I highly doubt Ells is going anywhere at this point. But, stranger things have happened. I think they like the comp pick they will receive for him, and depending on how a couple others perform they might have a couple...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

So far so good. All under double figures. All have one year deals to prove themselves. Leaves plenty of flexibility for the future.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Unbelievable!

Ellsbury was injured last year but his 2011 numbers were staggering. A batting average of .321, 32 homers, and 105 runs-batted-in. He was a runner-up in the AL MVP voting and it was one of the best seasons ever by a Red Sox player. To bring him back at 9 million is a steal when you consider JR Upton's new 5 year 75.25 million contract with the Braves.

Sections
Shortcuts