Are Balls and Strikes Subjective?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective?

In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective?:
    [QUOTE]The only ones commenting on this should be those who watched NESN, the camera / software analysis of the pitches, and the ten replays on the broadcast and on the postgame show. What exactly qualifies anyone else on offering their opinion?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Well pike, what if one watched it on the rays' network.

And it's pretty funny for you to say that when you never watch the games yourself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : Well pike, what if one watched it on the rays' network. And it's pretty funny for you to say that when you never watch the games yourself.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]
    It's being replayed right now on the sunshine network. I'll watch for myself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : It's being replayed right now on the sunshine network. I'll watch for myself.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

They're showing the heat/nets on the sunshine network here. I'm watching the Yanks and twinkies on espn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Watching the game on the Tampa feed was funny in a way. They were quick to complain when Shields did not get pitches and showed them with the computer K zone image. However in the last inning when there were pitches called strikes and shown other wise with the K zone they were as mute as could be. Not a word about how far outside they were. They were not even close.BTW going back to earlier in the game there were hitters on both teams called out on that walked away talking to the Ump. They showed Longoria and Pena both really pissed off the first time they K'd today. And the K zone showed the ball just off the inside of the plate on Longoria and Pena.
    The guy was bad all game but reallllllly bad on the last out

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the Sunshine Network replay something that NESN has exclusive rights to. Did you see the graphics of all six pitches that were all outside. . Subscribe to MLB Extra Innings for the live action and the Directv Sports Package if you want to watch Red Sox pregame and postgame detail.   Try not to have unfounded opinions if you don't have that coverage. For instance, I don't watch the YES network and have no idea about why the umpire called out Swisher the other night on a called third strike, and I don''t go to a Yankee forum pretending that I did. Only trolls would stoop to that behavior.

The only reason I come here is to protect the Sox fans from you, to act as a diversion.

No other reason.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]So if I left then you would also leave? Is that a promise? Would you also ditch Mikey and Camelwalk?

You left a long time ago pike.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

of course they are... and they should not be. it should be consistent throughout. i think consistent strike zones across games will only lead to great pitching and great batting - which i think we all want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

To answer the original question, absolutely balls and strikes are subjective. Each home plate umpire has a different zone. All that can be realistically asked is consistency.

That said, the Ross at-bat was horribly called. But as I said on another thread, Ross should have adjusted when the count was 2-2. That fifth pitch wasn't a strike, but it was close enough that you gotta guard the plate.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]To answer the original question, absolutely balls and strikes are subjective. Each home plate umpire has a different zone. All that can be realistically asked is consistency. That said, the Ross at-bat was horribly called. But as I said on another thread, Ross should have adjusted when the count was 2-2. That fifth pitch wasn't a strike, but it was close enough that you gotta guard the plate.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

If Ross was going to adjust to this strike zone he would need a 5 foot long bat to cover the area.  It was just plain and simple putrid umpiring.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the Sunshine Network replay something that NESN has exclusive rights to. Did you see the graphics of all six pitches that were all outside. . Subscribe to MLB Extra Innings for the live action and the Directv Sports Package if you want to watch Red Sox pregame and postgame detail.   Try not to have unfounded opinions if you don't have that coverage. For instance, I don't watch the YES network and have no idea about why the umpire called out Swisher the other night on a called third strike, and I don''t go to a Yankee forum pretending that I did. Only trolls would stoop to that behavior.

So the rays' network doesn't have the ability to show balls and strikes?

And how would you know, since you don't watch baseball, kimpike?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Stupid idea to call balls and strikes using a camera.  They'll always be called by the ump -- no review (except possibly conferring on field with other umps in certain situations).  Technology will never be introduced to the calling of balls and strikes.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]
     Do you really think that in a "certain situation", the hp ump will call time to ask one of the other three umps what they thought about a certain pitch?? You must be joking. Like any of the other three can see the last pitch better than the HP ump.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : They looked outside in real time and the Pitch Zone showed them all to be well outside.  Truly, I am more interested in whether or not MLB endorses an "open to interpretation" definition of the width of the plate than I am to just the Ross AB.  The Ross AB just opens the door to the question.  Ross got called out on pitches that were clearly, by the MLB definition of what is a strike, not strikes.  Does this concern MLB?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Not meant as any slight to you but the strike zone is clearly defined:
    The top of the strike zone is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants. The bottom of the strike zone is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The right and left boundaries of the strike zone correspond to the edges of home plate. A pitch that touches the outer boundary of the zone is as much a strike as a pitch that is thrown right down the center. A pitch at which the batter does not swing and which does not pass through the strike zone is called a ball.

If a batter crouches or has a strange stance this might give some umpires difficulty defining the upper and lower extent of the zone but the left and right boundaries are exactly that and are not open to interpretation, atleast by my common sense way of thinking. Individual interpretation by an umpire as someone mention might have to do with the umpires height, angle to the batter , etc, but the unpire has to be consistent throughout each game which this umpire was not. 

Regards, 
    Hetchinspete. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Also Ross has to recognize that Rodney is getting those calls.  He had no business watching strike 3 go by.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

So by your way of thinking Ross should have swung at the last pitch even though it was way outside the strike zone. No way. 

H-Pete

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : So by your way of thinking Ross should have swung at the last pitch even though it was way outside the strike zone. No way.  H-Pete
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Yes.  He should have realized at that point that the ump was calling those pitches strikes.  Whether or not they should have been called strikes is irrelevant.  I thought they were bad calls too, but you have to adapt to the situation and at least try to make contact instead of being stubborn.  To me he struck out looking at a pitch that was just as outside as the other two pitches he had already taken for strikes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : Yes.  He should have realized at that point that the ump was calling those pitches strikes.  Whether or not they should have been called strikes is irrelevant.  I thought they were bad calls too, but you have to adapt to the situation and at least try to make contact instead of being stubborn.  To me he struck out looking at a pitch that was just as outside as the other two pitches he had already taken for strikes.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Those pitches were so far outside if he would of swung and made contact it would most likely would have ended up being an out, we needed a hit there and he was looking for a pitch he could hit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : Those pitches were so far outside if he would of swung and made contact it would most likely would have ended up being an out, we needed a hit there and he was looking for a pitch he could hit.
    Posted by poprox13[/QUOTE]

Then you have to at least foul it off and keep the at bat alive.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are Balls and Strikes Subjective? : Those pitches were so far outside if he would of swung and made contact it would most likely would have ended up being an out, we needed a hit there and he was looking for a pitch he could hit.
    Posted by poprox13[/QUOTE]

It was a crappy situation, but consider the options.  Option 1 is to swing at a crappy pitch to hit which could result in either a strikeout, a foul or a cheap hit.  Option 2 is to take strike 3.  No one seems to be disputing the claim that it was obvious that the ump had expanded the zone by the time strike 3 was called.  In that situation you need to make the best of a crappy situation.  Ross didn't do that.  I don't think those were good calls, but that doesn't change the implications of my argument.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs offers its analysis of the strike zone in Monday's games between the Red Sox and Rays:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/did-jose-molina-frame-the-red-sox/

25. This post has been removed.