Are Doubrount's days numbered with the Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Are Doubrount's days numbered with the Sox?

Should Douby be reading the handwriting on the wall and expect a new address for 2014?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Are Doubrount's days numbered with the Sox?

i hope so...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I hope not. I think he will be better as he matures

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

hes a lefty and hes 25, give it time

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

Should Douby be reading the handwriting on the wall and expect a new address for 2014?

Why?  Are you suggesting that we are cutting him?  Trading him?  And, if trading him, trading him for what?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

His cost is low and like him better than Dumpster. Peavy's the guy to trade, because that will get rid of his inflated contract and net back a decent prospect. Dumpster will net back some laughter and request for cash.

trade peavy? wow..ok i'm not going to read your post anymore....you have no clue...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

again...lets list all the players softy hates and doesnt want on the sox....

drew

ells

gomes

carp

napoli

victorino

salti

ortiz

dempster

peavy

lackey

know there are more...not going to list injured players, but they are all on the list also

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

drew

ells

gomes

carp

napoli

victorino

salti

ortiz

dempster

peavy

lackey

know there are more...not going to list injured players, but they are all on the list also

well he must not like the boston red sox.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

[QUOTE]

drew

ells

gomes

carp

napoli

victorino

salti

ortiz

dempster

peavy

lackey

well he must not like the boston red sox.....

[/QUOTE]

bingo

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Doubront did great for a large part of this year. He was consistently good. Then he hit a wall. I am pretty sure that we will trade either Doubront, Lackey, or Dempster this offseason. Whoever nets us the most in return will be the bait. We have guys in the minors, not to mention Workman and Morales, who may win a job as a SP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

NO NO by all means, he is young and talented, he deserves clean slate next year...he's got a big game today, cause Sox have to play real hard to get Fenway advantage!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I doubt the Sox trade him given his upside and that he's under thier control for pennies on the dollar. 

My guess is that Cherington knows all to well the old adage of you can't have enough pitching is a reality even with the expected turnover after the 2014 season (Lester & Peavy) and then in 2015 (Lackey & Dempster). Leaving only Buccholz signed for the 2016 season. There's no reason to trade any of them before the end of spring training or for that matter until well into the 2014 season. If they trade a starter it likely would be either Peavy or Lester unless they have plans to resign one or the other to a long term deal. Dempster is also a candidate but they'd likely have to eat some money. End of the day, the Sox are in a good position entering the postseason and this offseason. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ben, DAD & Bill-806 have not had that discussion yet, we will let you know !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

His cost is low and like him better than Dumpster. Peavy's the guy to trade, because that will get rid of his inflated contract and net back a decent prospect. Dumpster will net back some laughter and request for cash.

It's a consideration.  I don't mind chipping in a few million occasionally for roster adjustments like Dempster, but Peavy has also pitched pretty well for us.  3-1, 3.68 with a 1.074 Whip.  It's a small sample, but if he pitched somewhere along those lines in 2014, he'd be QO material.  You'd have to weigh that, plus the 1.5-2.0 extra wins, against whatever prospect you might be offered.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

we heard the same things after his 2012 season. He built off of it and for a pretty long stretch was GREAT for the red sox and when they needed him too (buch was hurt). pitching better than everyone on the staff (except maybe lackey). Gotta remember he was coming off of the most innings he ever pitched in 2012 AND had a dead arm in early ST. im surprised we got as many innings out of him as we did before he hit the wall.

still, i said it last offseason and i will say it again. He has shown us enough to warrant a LOOOONG look going forward. He is progressing very nicely and i could see him as a very solid #2 if he continues to build off his success.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

redsoxfireman ain't that far off base.  We all like Peavy a lot more than Doubront or Dempster, but that is what would make him valuable in a trade, but only if the right one was there.  Chicago, as I recall, get a top prospect from Detroit for sending Peavy to us.

I think Doubront has better "stuff" than Peavy or Dempster.  He just needs better command of his pitches and the resolution to get into shape for an entire season. 

Let's not forget that an injury to a front line starter next year is very likely, so trading one away this winter assumes the minors have enough talent to fill that gap, and I'm not so sure of that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Carp has been a true fluke, wonderfully used by Farrell as a back bencher part-timer lefty matchup guy. I'm calling every GM and telling them Carp goes to the highest bidder, this winter. It will be the only chance to cash on a fluke part-time role player who would definitely get an overpay in a solid prospect sent by another GM. Nava should take over the bench lefty matchup plate role that Carp's been in.

Hahahahaha.  Stop it, man, you're killin' me.  This is priceless stuff.

Folks, see what Softy is trying to do here?  He's trying to say that Farrell, not Cherington, gets the credit for Carp!  Amazing.

What, Softy, are you saying that Cherington didn't intend for Carp to be a part-timer matchup guy?  Are you saying that Cherington had Carp slotted as his starting first baseman even though he had already signed Napoli?

Hahahahaha. 

Also, Nava has an .820 OPS in 515 PA's and you want to move him to Carp's bench role?

Stop it man, you really are killin' me.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Carp has been a true fluke, wonderfully used by Farrell as a back bencher part-timer lefty matchup guy. I'm calling every GM and telling them Carp goes to the highest bidder, this winter. It will be the only chance to cash on a fluke part-time role player who would definitely get an overpay in a solid prospect sent by another GM. Nava should take over the bench lefty matchup plate role that Carp's been in.

Hahahahaha.  Stop it, man, you're killin' me.  This is priceless stuff.

Folks, see what Softy is trying to do here?  He's trying to say that Farrell, not Cherington, gets the credit for Carp!  Amazing.

What, Softy, are you saying that Cherington didn't intend for Carp to be a part-timer matchup guy?  Are you saying that Cherington had Carp slotted as his starting first baseman even though he had already signed Napoli?

Hahahahaha. 

Also, Nava has an .820 OPS in 515 PA's and you want to move him to Carp's bench role?

Stop it man, you really are killin' me.   

Good to have that gooood humor & baseball sense back on the board !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Doubront did great for a large part of this year. He was consistently good. Then he hit a wall. I am pretty sure that we will trade either Doubront, Lackey, or Dempster this offseason. Whoever nets us the most in return will be the bait. We have guys in the minors, not to mention Workman and Morales, who may win a job as a SP.

[/QUOTE]

With the depth of young pitching, I doubt Morales will get a shot at starting. They might stretch him out to me an emergency spot starer but that's it.

But as for Doubront, I agree. He had a 15-game stretch where he was as good as any pitcher on the staff. He was key in helping to carry the staff when Lester hit his funk. He showed me a lot, that maybe he does have the stuff to be a solid starter.

He hit a wall as you said late in the season, so I want to see what he does in the offseason and what he looks like next spring. Twice in three years he came to camp out of shape. I'm not saying htat's why he hit a wall this year. Sometimes it just happens with young pitchers.

But if he's out of shape next spring, I'd ship is butt out of town.

If he goes to camp in shape, then I think he'd be a key young arm to have on the staff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

With the depth of young pitching, I doubt Morales will get a shot at starting. They might stretch him out to me an emergency spot starer but that's it.

But as for Doubront, I agree. He had a 15-game stretch where he was as good as any pitcher on the staff. He was key in helping to carry the staff when Lester hit his funk. He showed me a lot, that maybe he does have the stuff to be a solid starter.

He hit a wall as you said late in the season, so I want to see what he does in the offseason and what he looks like next spring. Twice in three years he came to camp out of shape. I'm not saying htat's why he hit a wall this year. Sometimes it just happens with young pitchers.

But if he's out of shape next spring, I'd ship is butt out of town.

If he goes to camp in shape, then I think he'd be a key young arm to have on the staff.

Right now we have six SP who are not going to be shipped to Pawtucket. All of them are out of options. I agree 100% with you that its time for Doubront to be more professional about the condition in which he shows up in ST. Someone needs to have a long talk with him about that, maybe someone like Pedro. I would expect that his endurance would be better next year since he was stretched out vis a vis IP this year. But one of our six SP is not going to be here next year IMO. None of them is really #6 SP material. Even Dempster is just an expensive #5. My preference would be to ship Doobie, Dempster, or Lackey depending on who can bring us the greatest return. The idea of trading Lackey at peak value does have allure. We should be able to net someone very good for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Right now we have six SP who are not going to be shipped to Pawtucket. All of them are out of options. I agree 100% with you that its time for Doubront to be more professional about the condition in which he shows up in ST. Someone needs to have a long talk with him about that, maybe someone like Pedro. I would expect that his endurance would be better next year since he was stretched out vis a vis IP this year. But one of our six SP is not going to be here next year IMO. None of them is really #6 SP material. Even Dempster is just an expensive #5. My preference would be to ship Doobie, Dempster, or Lackey depending on who can bring us the greatest return. The idea of trading Lackey at peak value does have allure. We should be able to net someone very good for him.

Personally I don't think it's ever a good idea to trade a starter who has been a solid #2/borderline #1 all year like Lackey.

My preference would be Dempster, although I realize that the return would not be great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

But also, it's intriguing that Lincecum and Halladay (I THINK?) are free agents.  And we're certainly going to have at least one rookie ready for the ML next year.  We finally have some serious depth in the rotation.

Sections
Shortcuts