Are Doubrount's days numbered with the Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Are Doubrount's days numbered with the Sox?

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

You can't actually carry 6 starters though.  One of them has to be parked somewhere.  You have 12 pitching slots and 7 have to be relievers.

None of those 6 can be sent to Pawtucket.  That only leaves the real DL or the phantom DL.

Or put Dempster in the bullpen to start the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

You can't actually carry 6 starters though.  One of them has to be parked somewhere.  You have 12 pitching slots and 7 have to be relievers.

None of those 6 can be sent to Pawtucket.  That only leaves the real DL or the phantom DL.

[/QUOTE]

Would you rather going into ST w/ just 5 starters?

These things have a way of working themselves out.  Heck, just having Buck in your rotation means you need to carry at least one extra starter right from the get go

So fitting his momma named him Clay.  I often wonder what kind of pitcher we'd have had his momma named him Iron.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Look at Doubies numbers this year vs. last year, virtually the same, except for one SIGNIFICANT item; HR's allowed.

Only 12 this year and 24 last year. Now some context, Doubies stinginess with the longball is matched by only two other full time starters, Colon (12) of Oakland and the cavernous mausloeum, and Cashner(12) of San Diego's pitcher friendly Petco Park. What's more significant is Prince Felix sees quite a few RH batters and throws half his pitches at Fenway. Why are ML hitters having such a hard time squaring him up? Great question, isn't it? Could it be that Felix is maturing, and understanding the process of knowing when and what to throw? Baseballreference.com has some of his age similars, ever heard of Clay Buchholz, Bob Ojeda and Ricky Nolasco?

Before we throw baby Douby out with the bath water, might want to add a little perspective to his results. A young, improving, cheap, experienced lefthander is who we're talking about, not some worn out retread like Eric Bedard.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Anyone else selling high on the the fluke bench season of Carp, and just going with Nava in that bench role?

No.  Just you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Everyone's days with the Red Sox are numbered, we just dont know the number.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Anyone else selling high on the the fluke bench season of Carp, and just going with Nava in that bench role?

This would not surprise me.  Teams like Houston and Miami might see Carp as a cheap source of full time power.

Nava has earned a starting role in a platoon capacity, and he becomes the floor for LF.  But the Sox might try an upgrade, whether it involves going all in for Stanton or whoever, or simply getting a short term stopgap solution like Beltran...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Carp is no fluke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

Dempster in the bullpen will give us the most expensive long relief guy in baseball most likely. I would rather trade him or Lackey or Doobie and give Workman a shot at the rotation if need be. A top three of Buchholz, Lester, and Peavy would be fine as long as they stay reasonably healthy. Doubront and Dempster (or Workman..or even Morales or Webster) might work at the bottom of the rotation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should have rested Doubront back in August... oh well!

I still wonder if his conditioning has been a factor in his recent troubles.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

Dempster in the bullpen will give us the most expensive long relief guy in baseball most likely. I would rather trade him or Lackey or Doobie and give Workman a shot at the rotation if need be. A top three of Buchholz, Lester, and Peavy would be fine as long as they stay reasonably healthy. Doubront and Dempster (or Workman..or even Morales or Webster) might work at the bottom of the rotation.

[/QUOTE]

Well, Dempster isn't that expensive....It's really the fact that you need to carry a 6th starter because Buck is made of Clay

The man made of Clay is actually very expensive because you must carry an insurance policy for him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

Should Douby be reading the handwriting on the wall and expect a new address for 2014?

Doubront did great for a large part of this year. He was consistently good. Then he hit a wall. I am pretty sure that we will trade either Doubront, Lackey, or Dempster this offseason. Whoever nets us the most in return will be the bait. We have guys in the minors, not to mention Workman and Morales, who may win a job as a SP.

With the depth of young pitching, I doubt Morales will get a shot at starting. They might stretch him out to me an emergency spot starer but that's it.

But as for Doubront, I agree. He had a 15-game stretch where he was as good as any pitcher on the staff. He was key in helping to carry the staff when Lester hit his funk. He showed me a lot, that maybe he does have the stuff to be a solid starter.

He hit a wall as you said late in the season, so I want to see what he does in the offseason and what he looks like next spring. Twice in three years he came to camp out of shape. I'm not saying htat's why he hit a wall this year. Sometimes it just happens with young pitchers.

But if he's out of shape next spring, I'd ship is butt out of town.

If he goes to camp in shape, then I think he'd be a key young arm to have on the staff.

Right now we have six SP who are not going to be shipped to Pawtucket. All of them are out of options. I agree 100% with you that its time for Doubront to be more professional about the condition in which he shows up in ST. Someone needs to have a long talk with him about that, maybe someone like Pedro. I would expect that his endurance would be better next year since he was stretched out vis a vis IP this year. But one of our six SP is not going to be here next year IMO. None of them is really #6 SP material. Even Dempster is just an expensive #5. My preference would be to ship Doobie, Dempster, or Lackey depending on who can bring us the greatest return. The idea of trading Lackey at peak value does have allure. We should be able to net someone very good for him.

[/QUOTE]

I understand about trading the guy who can bring the greatest return. On the other hand, I think I might prefer to keep who the Sox thing are the top five pitchers and trade the weakest and get what you can.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

But also, it's intriguing that Lincecum and Halladay (I THINK?) are free agents.  And we're certainly going to have at least one rookie ready for the ML next year.  We finally have some serious depth in the rotation.

plus you have...

webster

workman

barnes 

wright....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

[QUOTE]

Next Year's Rotation:

Buck

Lester

Lackey

Peavy

Dempster

Doubrant

You need 6 starters

But also, it's intriguing that Lincecum and Halladay (I THINK?) are free agents.  And we're certainly going to have at least one rookie ready for the ML next year.  We finally have some serious depth in the rotation.

plus you have...

webster

workman

barnes 

wright....

[/QUOTE]

...and 

Morales

Ranaudo

Britton (Pen?)

de la Rosa (Pen?

Owens (2015?)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i'm sorry but i said it before and i'll say it now..i just don't like doubrount...i just look at him and morales and i don't want to watch anymore...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I wish we'd rested Doubront a couple starts sooner.  A 3.74 ERA looks a lot better than a 4.15 ERA on the trade market.

In fairness, Doubront was a nice surprise this season - he really stepped up when Buchholz went down.  We're 17-10 in his starts.  I never expected much from him, and I do think he's the guy to move this off-season, but I appreciate what he's meant to this team.  But in a couple of years, I'd be surprised if he's a better pitcher than any of Barnes, Owens, Webster and Ranaudo.  I don't see much reason to hold onto him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

No, Cherrington is not stupid. We were lucky he was out there, when Buchholz went down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's got to start thinking coming into camp more in shape, get his mind right, about Pitching. Kid has the talent big time. Just needs to refine it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

crazy troy u r right

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure what Doubront's WHIP is after today's nice game, but he's got to get it way below 1.40 for a whole season to show me he is for real.

He's at about the same IP as last year, so I'm not sure we can use that as an excuse.

Sox4ever

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Doubront stays

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

How about Felix D to the Marlins as part of a blockbuster  for Giancarlo.

Or to the Angels as part of a deal for Trumbo.

Or to Texas even up for Joe Nathan or Mitch Moreland.

I don't follow theAstros  that closely--there may be something available in Houston.

Time will tell.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Felix D to the Marlins as part of a blockbuster  for Giancarlo.

To get Stanton without losing Bogaerts, we might have to give up...

Doubront

Middlebrooks or Cecchini

Betts or Coyle

2 from Webster, de la Rosa, Barnes, Workman, Britton, or Ranaudo

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts