Are Farrell and Nieves keeping track of rotation's condition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Are Farrell and Nieves keeping track of rotation's condition?

There is a calmness in the air, an almost keen sense of sureness when the Red Sox 2014 starting rotation.  Almost universally, I read about the 6 able starters for 5 spots and the top notch prospects that are on the doorstep if needed.

But the thought of years gone by with starters coming into camp out of shape, some billowing out to season effecting weight, makes me wonder if the good manager and coach are doing any due dilligence concerning the pitching staff.

Just how much off season oversight or aide can be given?

How well connected are the players and the coaches in agreeing on how much should be done to stay in relatively good shape, or better, off season development and training?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Are Farrell and Nieves keeping track of rotation's condition?

1-IMO, they should have a full physical for every player, and the manager, his coaches, the fitness guys, the doctors, the player and his agent, should all discuss what the player should be working on in the off-season.  Whether that's weight, aerobics, strength, cutoff throws, lateral movement, going the other way on a curve, whatever.

2-After that, I doubt having Farrell and/or Nieves call them will help.  Most people know exactly what they need to do, and either do it or they don't.

3-And I would guess it is tougher after a WSC.  You can only go balls to the wall so many times before you need a breather.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1-IMO, they should have a full physical for every player, and the manager, his coaches, the fitness guys, the doctors, the player and his agent, should all discuss what the player should be working on in the off-season.  Whether that's weight, aerobics, strength, cutoff throws, lateral movement, going the other way on a curve, whatever.

2-After that, I doubt having Farrell and/or Nieves call them will help.  Most people know exactly what they need to do, and either do it or they don't.

3-And I would guess it is tougher after a WSC.  You can only go balls to the wall so many times before you need a breather.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they do the first -- at least with pitchers, and especially young pitchers.

The irony with all the angst about whether or not players come to camp in shape -- and it's especially ironic when you read the posts from those who long for the good ol' days -- is that if you listen to guys like Luis Tiant and Bill Lee, they'll tell you that they used spring training to get in shape.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Send 'em all buckets and buckets of fried  chicken and cases of beer.

Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wink

[/QUOTE]

If u want 'funny' try a mirror.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Wink

I'd like to know why my joke to moon "if you want funny try a mirror" would be removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Farrell has already said that Felix Doubront will start his offseason program one month earlier than usual. That tells me that they are on top of this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wink

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did, but the mirror broke!

Tongue Out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

You mean like this guy who came to camp fat and out of shape 2 out of the past 3 years?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farrell has already said that Felix Doubront will start his offseason program one month earlier than usual. That tells me that they are on top of this.

[/QUOTE]

When did he say that?  Do you have a link?  I'm happy to see this... but this isn't the first year they had a talk with Felix.  I would like to see them being more proactive like you noted with Doubront starting a month early.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wink

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did, but the mirror broke!

Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

Yes, lol. Of course u laughed or made fun. kimsaysthis has taken it upon herself to be offended on your behalf. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When did he say that?  Do you have a link?  I'm happy to see this... but this isn't the first year they had a talk with Felix.  I would like to see them being more proactive like you noted with Doubront starting a month early.

[/QUOTE]

Id have to search for the quote, but yes, Farrell addressed the issue. If I happen to run across it, Ill post it here.

edit: "We wanted to adjust the fact that his annual trip down to Venezuela would be earlier than in years past," said Farrell. "Just to make sure that everything's pointing in the right direction once we get through the early part of January."

He said in another interview "about a month earlier", but I cant find that exact quote. regardless, this basically says that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/384341778234474496

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is a calmness in the air, an almost keen sense of sureness when the Red Sox 2014 starting rotation.  Almost universally, I read about the 6 able starters for 5 spots and the top notch prospects that are on the doorstep if needed.

But the thought of years gone by with starters coming into camp out of shape, some billowing out to season effecting weight, makes me wonder if the good manager and coach are doing any due dilligence concerning the pitching staff.

How well connected are the players and the coaches in agreeing on how much should be done to stay in relatively good shape, or better, off season development and training?

[/QUOTE]

Good quetion: I honestly feel most players know that their future can be tied to the physical shape they are in. As an example, both Papi and Lackey came to '13 camp looking pretty good. I don't these guys need prodding.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bigger concern is all the IP thrown by pitchers do to playoff run. Lester / Koji / Lackey / Breslow / Taz are all pitchers who I think RS should be concerned about their effectiveness in 14. Good chance 1 or 2 may staruggle this year. Won't be because they didn't do conditioning but because of heavy 13 workload and short off season. RS will probably be smart and limit ST workload, but even that may not be enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bigger concern is all the IP thrown by pitchers do to playoff run. Lester / Koji / Lackey / Breslow / Taz are all pitchers who I think RS should be concerned about their effectiveness in 14. Good chance 1 or 2 may staruggle this year. Won't be because they didn't do conditioning but because of heavy 13 workload and short off season. RS will probably be smart and limit ST workload, but even that may not be enough.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.  I was surprised to read that Lester had pitched 248 innings (213.1  regular +34.2 innings in post season)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/33934/de-la-rosa-keeps-up-work-with-pedro

I like what I read here ... and while it doesn't deal primarily with the current starters, it sure gives a few goose bumps about DLR's desire and the mentoring he is getting from Pedro.  I will add this to another thread, which I just thought of ...