Are people angry?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Are people angry?

Are people angry about the Sox?  I can see being disappointed, but being angry escapes me.

I thought it was an entertaining season.  Granted, I would have preferred to see them in the post season and win the WS, but in my opinion, it was a very interesting season.  They played badly, got it together and then played amazingly well.  They played some of the best baseball this town or any town has every seen.  They just peaked too early.  But there was a lot of drama in watching to see if they would find their game. Unfortunately, they didn't.

I prefer seasons when there are questions to be answered.  I think it makes the season more interesting when a team has to overcome adversity.

I think most of the guys on the team showed a lot of heart.

Hopefully the Sox can find replacements for Dice-K, Lackey and Wakefield, and resign Pap.

I also think it's telling that there is more activity today than on the day after they won the WS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Are people angry?

Hell yeah, I was angry when Paps imploded in the ninth. Think my cursing was heard in bordering states. But by the time I went upstairs to brush my teeth for bed, I had moved on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I kind of saw it as a mercy killing.  They had nothing left.  Who would have pitched today?  Wakefield?

Pap was toast before he pitched last night.  Aceves was on fumes.  Bard could have pitched one inning and his effectiveness was a coin toss.

They were spent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Dirty, I know you support your team and all but to say that most of this team had "heart" defies logic even for you...

Pedey has heart
    Aceves
    Marco
    Ells,
    Josh - thats about it

most did their jobs and werent gutless but that doesntr mean they gave it their all...i count 5

Im really not sure what you were looking at this year...we were taking our cue from our tin man manager when it came to toughness

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am not angry at the players. Sure they get paid lots of money , but so do the guys on the other teams and as we saw, even lowly bottom dwellers like the Baltimore Orioles have some pride and when given a short-term mission ( derail the Sox) they can be dangerous.

I feel that we should be angry at the media for always making the good teams seem great and the poorly performing players seem totally worthless....no excuse for that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

not angry.......Red Sox just didn't have any swagger......player's fault? managers fault? GM who put this band of players together?

only those in the know REALLY know.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Are people angry?:
    [QUOTE]I kind of saw it as a mercy killing.  They had nothing left.  Who would have pitched today?  Wakefield? Pap was toast before he pitched last night.  Aceves was on fumes.  Bard could have pitched one inning and his effectiveness was a coin toss. They were spent.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, exactly. I have to admit, I was somewhat relieved when Longoria hit the walk off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Are people angry?:
    [QUOTE]Are people angry about the Sox?  I can see being disappointed, but being angry escapes me. I thought it was an entertaining season.  Granted, I would have preferred to see them in the post season and win the WS, but in my opinion, it was a very interesting season.  They played badly, got it together and then played amazingly well.  They played some of the best baseball this town or any town has every seen.  They just peaked too early.  But there was a lot of drama in watching to see if they would find their game. Unfortunately, they didn't. I prefer seasons when there are questions to be answered.  I think it makes the season more interesting when a team has to overcome adversity. I think most of the guys on the team showed a lot of heart. Hopefully the Sox can find replacements for Dice-K, Lackey and Wakefield, and resign Pap. I also think it's telling that there is more activity today than on the day after they won the WS.

Angry and dissapointed DirtWater, as we should be the last couple of years and more.

Beltre, good move for a year
    Victor for a little over a year for Masterson when a trade for a back up, or starting catcher should have happened years before? 
    Adrian, good move but moving youk to 3b wasn't
    Crawford?
    Lackey a bust and horrible team guy
    Jenks a bust
    Weiland? five starts during a tough pennant race
    McDon used much too long without finding a bat
    Drew, nothing all year
    Pap crumbling under pressure of a pennant race, or PS two years in a row?
    Bard - very dissapointing later in the year
    Aceves, great move but couldn't start because we had no middle relief
    Youk, out of the lineup during the stretch run two years running
    Wake, forced to pitch way two many games
    Salty and Tek, little defense or offense down the stretch and a combined 225 BA

The list goes on!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

"Showed a lot of heart?"  Are you insane?

They lost 20 games in September and gave away a playoff spot in a statistically almost impossible manner.  They didn't win 2 games on consecutive days from Aug 25th on. They won 2 games after trailing in the 7th.  They lost 5 of 7 to the dreck Orioles in the last 10 games.

And don't get me started on errors and ERA.

This team quit, period. Or they choked.  Either way, heart?  No.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]Dirty, I know you support your team and all but to say that most of this team had "heart" defies logic even for you... Pedey has heart Aceves Marco Ells, Josh - thats about it most did their jobs and werent gutless but that doesntr mean they gave it their all...i count 5 Im really not sure what you were looking at this year...we were taking our cue from our tin man manager when it came to toughness
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Ger, explain Josh to me, I still say  he was our number one problem

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In the end , it was like you have this old friend. The friend is apparently healthy and doing well. Then he suddenly  develops a fatal disease. You watch him struggle and slowly wither away. When he finally passes , you feel grief and sadness, but also a sense of relief that the suffering is over.  That is how it felt last night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Are people angry?:
    [QUOTE]Are people angry about the Sox?  I can see being disappointed, but being angry escapes me. I thought it was an entertaining season.  Granted, I would have preferred to see them in the post season and win the WS, but in my opinion, it was a very interesting season.  They played badly, got it together and then played amazingly well.  They played some of the best baseball this town or any town has every seen.  They just peaked too early.  But there was a lot of drama in watching to see if they would find their game. Unfortunately, they didn't. I prefer seasons when there are questions to be answered.  I think it makes the season more interesting when a team has to overcome adversity. I think most of the guys on the team showed a lot of heart. Hopefully the Sox can find replacements for Dice-K, Lackey and Wakefield, and resign Pap. I also think it's telling that there is more activity today than on the day after they won the WS.

Not angry!! Sox were stuck with Pesky pitching today if needed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I kind of saw it as a mercy killing.  They had nothing left.  Who would have pitched today?  Wakefield? Pap was toast before he pitched last night.  Aceves was on fumes.  Bard could have pitched one inning and his effectiveness was a coin toss. They were spent.

Oh please! I'm not buying it. they may have pitched more than normal but they should have been pumped up enough to overcome it.
    Had we won, they would have been just as "spent" today for a playoff, so I suppose we just lost one day earlier than what was inevitable?
    Players turn it up a notch or two for the PS, if what you are saying is true, then Francona did not manage his staff well , and needs to go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

From 2000  on the Sox  fought the Evil Empire  the enemy  was what motivated them to play their fannies off to become winners  ..

This year they became that evil empire   fat - complacent - out of shape ..

I can accept losing Buch  and losing Dice K and having Youk  go down again this year ...  BUT that team still had it's own destiny in it's hands    all September and    looked  like the 1965   Red Sox  ....   

9 players  9 cabs      I am angry   - they threw it all away ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

I was stunned and disappointed, not angry. But I'm over it and ready to move on. Already looking foward to April 2012, hopeful that the Sox can erase the nightmare memory of 2011.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Right, Pap would have been available today.  75 pitches in 4 days and he would have been available today and tomorrow had they won.  Sure.

And who would have started today?  Wakefield?  Lackey?  That would have worked out well. 

Fumes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

No anger here. I was actually relieved that the meltdown was finally over, forever to be preserved as most likely the worst ever in the history of baseball. My pain is over, time to heal and just deal with gloating Yankee fans, until they are also eliminated.

We have not won a playoff game in three years, didn't even get in the last two. It is time for change. I would love to see this team imploded for a much, much younger team as we rebuild. I could totally get behind a bunch of youngs players getting better, even if we lose 90-100 games for a year or two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

People are angry, because they invest their time and money into "their" team.
    They argue at work or at the bar about their team, and their favorite players.
    It is a part of their lives. Their teams are an extention of them in their minds.
    While sports ideally should be an escape from everyday life, what's lost sometimes is, that it is a game and fans have no control over what transpires.
    Look at the soccer nuts in Europe and South America, who kill each other and referees. Totally lost perspective.
    There's some anger happening here and now, as the Sox are a  part of people's lives, good or bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In the end , it was like you have this old friend. The friend is apparently healthy and doing well. Then he suddenly  develops a fatal disease. You watch him struggle and slowly wither away. When he finally passes , you feel grief and sadness, but also a sense of relief that the suffering is over.  That is how it felt last night.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

that's a good analogy gale. that's how I felt also. The last month was difficult to watch, painful at times. what was hardest to take was the way it ended, but when it, it put what was inevitable to rest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Curse of the Andino.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bronx01. Show Bronx01's posts

I think Red Sox fans need to be very angry, your team is the biggest choke artists in MLB history, with that farm system and the current mix of players, I see a very bad future. Good luck losers

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I’m angry, sad, disappointed, feel let down etc. etc. because this team did a tremendous injustice to its fans with the roller coaster ride pyramid starting at 2-10 & then having the best record in baseball up to September and then going all the way down the mountain not being able to win 2 in a row from last week in August.

We lacked a Kevin Millar, V Martinez etc., guys with heart,  and other than Jacoby, Dustin, Marco & Aceves we had some fat cats i.e. Agon, Ortiz, Crawford, Drew.

Although many believe it's all about pitching...I mean look what the Orioles staff did to us winning 5 out of 7 key games, as I say below, it wasn't all pitching !!!

In addition to Crawford's pathetic performance, I'm not ecstatic too with Agon, irrespective of his respectable batting average.  Other than Ellsbury, Pedroia & even Scutaro,  our expected big bats of Ortiz & Agon did not come through in the  clutch.  I would guess that at least 1/2 the games we lost in Sept, we outhit the opponents.  Even in this last game we got 11 hits (+4) to their 7 and they had 2 errors too.  I would guesstimate...don't have the time or desire to research...that at least 75% of our runs came from home runs.  Despite mediocre pitching, it was the lack of CLUTCH HITTING that really did us in !!!  Lester really did  not pitch a bad game last night. Unfortunately he and Beckett can only give up 3-4 runs because we can't get 5 runs. The Yankees can survive average pitching because they can get 5-6 runs !!!  

I recommend a playoff series between the Braves & Sox with the winner avoiding the stigma of being the bigger loser !!!

Great link if you haven't seen it...especially bit about CC !!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/tampa-bay-rays-boston-red-sox-fates-converge-last-night-of-mlb-regular-season-decide-al-wild-card-with-historic-choke-092811

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are people angry? : Ger, explain Josh to me, I still say  he was our number one problem
    Posted by tc25[/QUOTE]

im telling you the only thing wrong with Josh is that he is fat - he was puffing and panting after the third inning...yankee fans at work were having a hoot talking about how fat he has gotten and how out of shape he was...Remy said it himself that scouts think Josh is toast after 90 pitches...one more reason to can our manager..our entire pitching staff is fat and have all had injuries relating to "back" muscle strains...our conditioning is the pits...having said that I love Josh's attitude..he tells the truth...like last start when he said he stunk (unlike John "I was throwing the ball pretty well" Lackey)   get him some fitness and his natural abilities and competitiveness will rise again to the top

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Hell yeah, I was angry when Paps imploded in the ninth. Think my cursing was heard in bordering states. But by the time I went upstairs to brush my teeth for bed, I had moved on.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

You mean the complaining was that bad?

Sections
Shortcuts