Are the "Coma" types fans or just haters?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Are the "Coma" types fans or just haters?

coma is a pretty accurate nickname - just watch the games

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Some are fans, some are haters, many are simply not very knowledgeable about the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

And the rest don't know nearly as much as they think they know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

the type of person you are, is the type of fan you are. there's an azz for every seat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Are the "Coma" types fans or just haters?:
    [QUOTE]coma is a pretty accurate nickname - just watch the games
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I think  the ' coma' thing is getting a little old

how bout if they refer to him as an 

''air traffic controller '' during the games ;-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Some are fans, some are haters, many are simply not very knowledgeable about the game.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

And let me add and expand, many also simply focus on the Red Sox and ignore the way all managers manage the game today.

What's dumb is that they treat baseball like it's football or basketball and the coach can call plays, change defenses and give Knute Rockne-like speaches to fire up the team so they play with more emotion.

Baseball isn't like that, and these critics simply don't understand it. There isn't a lot of play-calling that is done in baseball and much of it -- hit-and-run or bunting -- simply aren't high-percentage calls. And no amount of emotion is going to let a batter hit better or a pitcher pitch better.

Francona is no different than any other manager the way they watch a game, yet these losers make a big deal about how he just watches a game. Not only is it a siimplistic criticism, it's pathetic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion%3a972dc321-9958-41a0-bc97-963abab15681

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I am a forty year Red Sox fan.  I have played and managed, though, obviously not at the MLB level.  Game management is not rocket science.  Nobody expects managers to be right all the time.  That does not mean they are above criticism.  I posted a critique last night.  While the Francona defenders were out in force, saying "hey we won", or other lame defenses, no one could offer why letting or calling for an .048 hitter to bunt with one out (to get the runner in scoring position) was a better baseball decision than letting a premier base stealer try to get there on his own without sacrificing the out.  I could have also mentioned that if you can't hit for an .048 hitter in that situation, when can you?  Just sitting there and hoping is why he is called "coma" or "sit and spit". There is a simple reason that there was no defense for that call.  There is none.  Not hate - just reality.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

This premier base stealer has been successful on just 3 of 5 attempts so far this year. So while it's fair to say he'll get better, it's also fair to say that Crawford's slow start -- timing -- isn't limited to hitting. And Varitek actually is a good bunter. So rather risk getting a runner thrown out with the .048 hitter up and likely to get out, the better percentage was to bunt. You have a guy on second with one out, rather than two outs with Ellsbury coming up.

As for pinch-hitting, it's not like there were hot-bats on the bench. In a close game, Francona might have decided that it was better to keep the veteran catcher behind the plate.

Now you might not agree, but both are legitimate rationales. While the offensive part didn't work at the time, the fact is, the pitchers continuted to shut down the Angels with Tek behind the plate. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I posted this elsewhere, the 3B was playing back and it appeared Tek was on his own bunting for a hit. If the catcher doesn't dive at that ball while it is in foul, the crown of that infield is such it was coming back for a hit. that's why the catcher dove for it in foul ground. That was the take of the Angels TV team by the way and the replay sort showed all of that, ball breaking back towards fair ground and the 3B nowhere close enough to make a play on the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Encinitas:  in case you didn't notice, the Angels catcher has a pretty good arm.  To date Crawford has stolen 3 bases and been caught twice, so, premier or not, he ain't a good bet right now to steal. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Part of the enjoyment of watching a baseball game is second guessing the manager. Most of us like to imagine what we would do if it was our decision. Bunt. Hit and run. Straight steal. Try to draw a walk. Whatever the manager does, many of us think we know better. Especially when it doesn't work. I don't believe it's hating, necessarily. It's just being a fan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

I like Tito
    I put very little stock in these "after the fact" experts/analyses.  The ole hindsight factor means nada.  I notice there is very little  "what I would do in this situation" input during the gamethreads.  Last night when the Sox had 2 on (1st and second) with no outs, Tito had Crawford bunt them over and it worked.  It was a classical baseball book play in a scoreless game.  We all know, the highly touted Scioscia in the dugout across the field, would have done the same thing, no matter who was up now and next.  As soon as Tek made an out, the "coma" guys came jumping out, decrying the stupidity of such a move with Tek next up.  I supported it all the way, and still do.  The fact that next up, Ellsbury brought them in with a single was nice;  it was the proper strategy no matter what.  The board experts seem also to have no conception of psychology.  Tito pulling Dice the other night when he was pitching well evoked alot of bile.  I believe there was great logic for what he did.  I remember him sticking with a chronic whiffing Marc Bellhorn in the playoffs in 2004 (I'll admit it, I was screaming for him to bench him), and Marc got a  3 run  homer in a crucial point, possibly keeping the comeback alive.

I must remind some;  Tito was voted 4th place (out of 14 mgrs)  for Manager of the Year last year.  Do the experts on this board have a take on that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

[QUOTE]Part of the enjoyment of watching a baseball game is second guessing the manager. Most of us like to imagine what we would do if it was our decision. Bunt. Hit and run. Straight steal. Try to draw a walk. Whatever the manager does, many of us think we know better. Especially when it doesn't work. I don't believe it's hating, necessarily. It's just being a fan.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

However you are at a huge disadvantage since Tito and coaches have played the game and been around it for decades, have access to tons of statistics which is at their finger tips in the clubhouse and the dugout, see their players daily on the field, know their personalities, makeup, and quirks. They have videos on every opposing pitcher and batter and scouting reports. You in your armchair are like a musician who plays a wax comb compared to Arthur Fiedler conducting an orchestra.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I am a forty year Red Sox fan.  I have played and managed, though, obviously not at the MLB level.  Game management is not rocket science.  Nobody expects managers to be right all the time.  That does not mean they are above criticism.  I posted a critique last night.  While the Francona defenders were out in force, saying "hey we won", or other lame defenses, no one could offer why letting or calling for an .048 hitter to bunt with one out (to get the runner in scoring position) was a better baseball decision than letting a premier base stealer try to get there on his own without sacrificing the out.  I could have also mentioned that if you can't hit for an .048 hitter in that situation, when can you?  Just sitting there and hoping is why he is called "coma" or "sit and spit". There is a simple reason that there was no defense for that call.  There is none.  Not hate - just reality. One last thought - exactly why is Francona's job "one of the toughest in sports"?  He has a loyal fan base, supportive management, a huge payroll, and talent most other manager's could only dream of.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Again, you are assuming that these guys steal at will.  A guy like CC is probably in a steal situation 150-175 times a year.  If he could steal at will, he'd have 150-175 SBs.  These guys steal because they time the pitcher.  They wait for lapses.

Do you truly beleive he doesn't have the green light?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

You vastly overrate Encinitis as a serious poster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Absolutely, JP67. This is what they do for a living. All we can do as fans is second guess. For me it's part of the fun of watching. If I'm wrong, all I am risking is the ire of the guy on the next stool. If Tito is wrong he risks pi&&ing off all of Red Sox Nation. If he's wrong too many times it could cost him his job. I'm not saying I know better. I don't. It's just me being a fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The issue with the haters is the fact that they BELIEVE that what they would do would actually work out better all of the time.

A fan wonders why he did not do something different and knows he/she does not have all the facts.

I may not know why something is done at a certain time.
    I do know that despite what many think bunting is not a good option most of the time and stats have shown that to be true. But you will get haters saying it works for Scoscia why doesn't Francona do it. Ten if it is done and doesn't work and the next guy gets a hit "He should have never had Tek bunt" is the refrain.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely, JP67. This is what they do for a living. All we can do as fans is second guess. For me it's part of the fun of watching. If I'm wrong, all I am risking is the ire of the guy on the next stool. If Tito is wrong he risks pi&&ing off all of Red Sox Nation. If he's wrong too many times it could cost him his job. I'm not saying I know better. I don't. It's just me being a fan.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]
    second guessing and calling out at your tv or even here is fine, i do it as well. But every day the same people come on here and b!tch about how francona stinks and second guess everything even if it worked out with the "yea but it COULD have" arguement. It kind of makes it hard to enjoy a win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

My take is that it's incredibly foolish for any of us to think we know as much about the game or the team as Terry Francona or whoever the Red Sox manager is. When I get on an airplane, I don't second-guess how the pilot is flying it. ("The captain should have climbed to 30,000 back over Topeka!").

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion%3a972dc321-9958-41a0-bc97-963abab15681
    Posted by ConcernTroll[/QUOTE]

I checked out that link concern.. 1941 is a waste of space. How can someone argue that bringing in the closer to actually close out a game, ie; do his job, is the wrong move? Just grasping at straws to bash Tito..it really is a pathetic sight..If anyone from here, including me, thinks they can run a MLB team better, someone needs to give them a swift thud on the melon with a tack hammer to bring them back to reality.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Some fans need a little bit more patience.

Baseball is a 162-game season and not a 16-game season like football or an 82-game season like the NBA. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You vastly overrate Encinitis as a serious poster."

I don't. Anyone who calls people dehumanizing nicknames like "coma" is not worthy of having a serious baseball discussion with. If we win one more championship "coma" will likely go the Hall of Fame and these wackos will still be in a forum wishing it wasn't so even though their team won.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Piersall37. Show Piersall37's posts

In Response to Are the "Coma" types fans or just haters?:
    [QUOTE]Terry Francona has one of the toughest jobs in sports as manager of the Red Sox and he does it very well. Is he perfect? Of course not, just as nobody else is. I find myself wondering about the loyalties of people who use childish, demeaning names in discussing a man who does a job they could never, ever do. So is it accurate to call these people fans, or are they really just chronic malcontents who aren't happy unless they're complaining about something?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]
    I agree that this is getting old and tiresome.  These childish remarks should be in the playground, not where supposedly mature adults are trying to discuss an issue.  We all second guess different things that happen during a game.  Name calling doesn't add anything to it except one's IQ score.