Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate?

Yes, I capitulate.  I do not love coma.  It really takes you out of the action for the time you are in one.  And, then, IF you recover from a coma, there is a good chance you will suffer some permanent damage.  So, yes, I can, with all honesty say, I do not love comas.  i capitulate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I capitulate.  I do not love coma.  It really takes you out of the action for the time you are in one.  And, then, IF you recover from a coma, there is a good chance you will suffer some permanent damage.  So, yes, I can, with all honesty say, I do not love comas.  i capitulate.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I love commas: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

+2

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If someone loves Coma when the going is good, but then capitulates when the going gets rough, does that make him/her a Coma Chameleon?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Call me a prude, but I think you should be married before you capitulate. It's just the way I was raised.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Do Tito haters drink Coca-Coma?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

And do Tito haters practice the Coma Sutra?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

You called him Coma, are you sure you just didnt come out of a coma.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate? :   THATS GREAT NEWS (#'s).... NOW ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS GO 18 AND 4 THE REST OF THE WAY FOR THE DIVISION. MAYBE THAT BECOMES LESS VITAL AND THE W C IS THE TICKET !!  GOT TO GET HEALTHY AND REDISCOVER HOW TO WIN !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Who cares about the Division?  The division crown gets you what?  An opening round series with Detroit and Verlander. 

I'd  rather the Sox be ready for the post season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I think they need to re-sign Johnny Coma lately

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Lets look at his starting pitching right now, as of today
    Lester
    Bedard
    Wakefield
    Miller
    Lackey
    Doesnt exactly strike fear into the hearts of batters
    How is this Tito's fault?
    Actually I think I saw Tito bouncing up and down on Jenk's fat belly earlier in the year, causing him to have a sports hernia........I know that, at least, was tito's fault

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

If youa re going to knock Tito for his managing moves....dont you have to also comment on the good ones?
    I think him sticking with Salty has paid off now, and far into the future, dont you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Fact is that Terry Francona was an average manager on a below average team when he was with the Phillies and is an average manager on an above average team now.  He's arguably not even in the top 10 among his peers.  Problem has to do with unrealistically high expectations and blaming him for losses while not giving him credit whatsoever for wins.  Can't have your cakes and eat it too goes the age old adage.  The team's winning pct. is on par with what it should be given it's unlimited financial resources.  Managerial acumen or skill is typically (not always of course) a media perpetuated myth in which "they" annoint certain guys as great managers often based on highly superficial and subjective perceptions.   Managers today are often glorified baby sitters, cheerleaders
    and substitute parents.  They have little influence on what happens between the lines and merely watch the kids play in the yard, park or stadium. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Fact is that Terry Francona was an average manager on a below average team when he was with the Phillies and is an average manager on an above average team now.  He's arguably not even in the top 10 among his peers.  Problem has to do with unrealistically high expectations and blaming him for losses while not giving him credit whatsoever for wins.  Can't have your cakes and eat it too goes the age old adage.  The team's winning pct. is on par with what it should be given it's unlimited financial resources.  Managerial acumen or skill is typically (not always of course) a media perpetuated myth in which "they" annoint certain guys as great managers often based on highly superficial and subjective perceptions.   Managers today are often glorified baby sitters, cheerleaders and substitute parents.  They have little influence on what happens between the lines and merely watch the kids play in the yard, park or stadium. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

... unless you ask his peers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Are the

Managers today are often glorified baby sitters, cheerleaders and substitute parents.

Hate to tell you, that might be one of the biggest parts of his job and one he excels at.  Do you manage people for a living?  It's not easy at all managing egos.  That skill alone makes him an above average manager, especially in this media market where scrutiny is many times greater than in KC, Pittsburgh, etc. 

You really think it's easy to keep control of a clubhouse full of ultra-competitive guys that are paid millions of dollars in guaranteed contracts, and then you have to bench them, skip a start, look like a fool for their actions and then not throw them under the bus at the press conference?  Not easy at all.  Just like some players aren't meant for the Boston market, many lesser managers would wilt.

I bet all MLB managers can do the X's and O's and tactical, in game stuff on a pretty equal level.  It's the other stuff that separates the wheat from the chaff. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate? : Aren't you confusing "capituate" with "matriculate"?
    Posted by Pollyanna1964[/QUOTE]
    John Lennon was once asked how often he meditates. He answered, "All the time. Why do you think I wear these glasses?"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Are the

In Response to Re: Are the:
    [QUOTE] Managers today are often glorified baby sitters, cheerleaders and substitute parents. Hate to tell you, that might be one of the biggest parts of his job and one he excels at.  Do you manage people for a living?  It's not easy at all managing egos.  That skill alone makes him an above average manager, especially in this media market where scrutiny is many times greater than in KC, Pittsburgh, etc.  You really think it's easy to keep control of a clubhouse full of ultra-competitive guys that are paid millions of dollars in guaranteed contracts, and then you have to bench them, skip a start, look like a fool for their actions and then not throw them under the bus at the press conference?  Not easy at all.  Just like some players aren't meant for the Boston market, many lesser managers would wilt. I bet all MLB managers can do the X's and O's and tactical, in game stuff on a pretty equal level.  It's the other stuff that separates the wheat from the chaff. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Good post Cables.  It sticks in my space craw when people dismiss Francona's ability to run a clubhouse as trivial.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Ok...so I've been called weird, dumb, don't know baseball, and on-and-on.... But, no-one disputes that Coma has cost us several games this year...hell, several games in the past 2 weeks. For the "Coma-Dittohead Lovers" who find endless excuses for him, let me explain "Team Mentality" (used to be called Groupthink): If the Leader (Coma) allows and even effects losses that should be wins, the TEAM (our beloved RS) will go along to some degree because "No-One" is held accountable. In a normal working environment such as we (the faithful fans) have, our boss might be demoted, or put on probation or fired. If our boss(es) are NOT held accountable for 1) our work, AND 2) THEIR MANAGENT OF US AND OUR WORK, then complacency seeps in...WE become complacent. That's called "human nature". When complacency seeps in, performance tends to become mediocre. Many of the Sox are NOT playing like champions these days. Coma holds no-one accountable, and apparently neither does Theo. No accountability, no CHAMPIONSHIP...it's as simple as that. Hope this helps you many "Coma-Heads".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Francona is what he is,,    a very average manager who happened to be in the right spot at the right time, thus he managed two very good teams to WS wins.

He now has very little pitching, and does not seem to be able to make quick decisions as to when to take starters[or reliefer's] out of the game. Heck he has the same problem even when he has his star starters.

He is basically a high paid babysitter, who knoWs how to leave player's alone and when to pacify them. For that he gets high marks.

His idea of keeping everyone happy is to play everyone twice a week, sort of like Little League baseball, so everyone will be happy and seem to be content with their playing time.

If he gives someone the day off, he means just that, and even if the situation arises, he will not play that player[s] that day. How else can anyone explain letting Nate Spears bat while 3 regulars remain on the bench? Yes he rests players much more than he should, always keeping in his mind the idea of resting player's for the post season, only with this years team their may very well be no post season. This weekend with the Ray's will be very telling. A Ray's sweep and we can pretty much all start to think of other ways to spent the post season.

Is it all Francona's fault,, NO, but he is the leader and how he reacts and his decisions directly impact the team on the field.  For that he gets low marks.

I really wish he were just a good manager, and was always trying to make game decisions that would help his player's, but I don't see that. Terry sits back and waits for that big 3 run homer and hopes like the rest of us that one of yhe player's will be the hero that day.

There is a reason with all the good player's and teams Francona has had, that he has never won the Manager-of-the-year award.

If you like Francona, fine, but don't confuse having great  player's and great teams, that it somehow translates into your manager being great himself.

Having been a huge Sox fan all my life, I live and bleed little Sox socks, and wish as always they would win every game[even I know that's impossible], I want the Sox manager to be the best he can be, and always want the best for him, just wish he would show a little more between the lines.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Good post Peanuts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Thanks Petescall,,     as a lifelong Sox fan I want very much to like any Sox manager or player, as I AM a Sox for life.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]If youa re going to knock Tito for his managing moves....dont you have to also comment on the good ones? I think him sticking with Salty has paid off now, and far into the future, dont you?
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]
    His paycheck is his reward for good moves. You expect good moves from a well paid manager. Great managers make poor moves, but not as frequently as Francona. But since the team was able to win 2 WS, he gets a free pass from many fans. Some even say he won 2 WS. He didn't win anything, the team won. They say he out managed the Colorado manager. How? He put the players on the field and sat and spit while they won. Same story with St Louis. Some give him credit for coming back from a 0-3 deficit against the Yankees. I ask who managed them to the 0-3 deficit? Some give him credit for the Robert's steal. Any dimwitted baseball fan could have made that call. As a matter of fact, one did ! As far as Salty is concerned, what else could he do? Play Tek full time? Again, a high school coach would have stuck with Salty. He's paid to consistantly make good decisions. He consistantly makes questionable or poor decisions.
    He is not in the top 10 maqnagers in the American League, never mind all of baseball.  Wait, I forgot, HE won 2 WS. Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Francona is simply not a sharp manager during game time...his interviews are pretty good though....his biggest problem is bullpen management...maybe the worst in the league because he has no feel for the game - he took whatever baseball instinct he once had and destroyed it with bill james nonsense - a monkey could make the same rote moves Tito makes....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Francona is what he is,,    a very average manager who happened to be in the right spot at the right time, thus he managed two very good teams to WS wins. He now has very little pitching, and does not seem to be able to make quick decisions as to when to take starters[or reliefer's] out of the game. Heck he has the same problem even when he has his star starters. He is basically a high paid babysitter, who knoWs how to leave player's alone and when to pacify them. For that he gets high marks. His idea of keeping everyone happy is to play everyone twice a week, sort of like Little League baseball, so everyone will be happy and seem to be content with their playing time. If he gives someone the day off, he means just that, and even if the situation arises, he will not play that player[s] that day. How else can anyone explain letting Nate Spears bat while 3 regulars remain on the bench? Yes he rests players much more than he should, always keeping in his mind the idea of resting player's for the post season, only with this years team their may very well be no post season. This weekend with the Ray's will be very telling. A Ray's sweep and we can pretty much all start to think of other ways to spent the post season. Is it all Francona's fault,, NO, but he is the leader and how he reacts and his decisions directly impact the team on the field.  For that he gets low marks. I really wish he were just a good manager, and was always trying to make game decisions that would help his player's, but I don't see that. Terry sits back and waits for that big 3 run homer and hopes like the rest of us that one of yhe player's will be the hero that day. There is a reason with all the good player's and teams Francona has had, that he has never won the Manager-of-the-year award. If you like Francona, fine, but don't confuse having great  player's and great teams, that it somehow translates into your manager being great himself. Having been a huge Sox fan all my life, I live and bleed little Sox socks, and wish as always they would win every game[even I know that's impossible], I want the Sox manager to be the best he can be, and always want the best for him, just wish he would show a little more between the lines.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Very well put, peanutandme. The only area where where I might disagree is your first sentence where you say HE MANAGED two very good teams to WS wins. I agree that he was there, but as far as managing them to wins, I disagree. I will agree that his title was manager while those teams won 2 Ws, and he was there. The bullpen catcher was also there. Do we credit him for catching them to two WS?

Sections
Shortcuts