Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Are the

In Response to Re: Are the:
    [QUOTE] Managers today are often glorified baby sitters, cheerleaders and substitute parents. Hate to tell you, that might be one of the biggest parts of his job and one he excels at.  Do you manage people for a living?  It's not easy at all managing egos.  That skill alone makes him an above average manager, especially in this media market where scrutiny is many times greater than in KC, Pittsburgh, etc.  You really think it's easy to keep control of a clubhouse full of ultra-competitive guys that are paid millions of dollars in guaranteed contracts, and then you have to bench them, skip a start, look like a fool for their actions and then not throw them under the bus at the press conference?  Not easy at all.  Just like some players aren't meant for the Boston market, many lesser managers would wilt. I bet all MLB managers can do the X's and O's and tactical, in game stuff on a pretty equal level.  It's the other stuff that separates the wheat from the chaff. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]
    I want a manager that can effectively manage baseball games. Hire Dr. Phil for the clubhouse and press conferences.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate?

In Response to Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate?:
    [QUOTE]Ok...so I've been called weird, dumb, don't know baseball, and on-and-on.... But, no-one disputes that Coma has cost us several games this year...hell, several games in the past 2 weeks. For the "Coma-Dittohead Lovers" who find endless excuses for him, let me explain "Team Mentality" (used to be called Groupthink): If the Leader (Coma) allows and even effects losses that should be wins, the TEAM (our beloved RS) will go along to some degree because "No-One" is held accountable. In a normal working environment such as we (the faithful fans) have, our boss might be demoted, or put on probation or fired. If our boss(es) are NOT held accountable for 1) our work, AND 2) THEIR MANAGENT OF US AND OUR WORK, then complacency seeps in...WE become complacent. That's called "human nature". When complacency seeps in, performance tends to become mediocre. Many of the Sox are NOT playing like champions these days. Coma holds no-one accountable, and apparently neither does Theo. No accountability, no CHAMPIONSHIP...it's as simple as that. Hope this helps you many "Coma-Heads".
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

Do you think there's a single manager in baseball who hasn't cost his team "several games" over the course of 162? Managers make calls, and sometimes they don't work out. That's what their job is. Ask a Yankee fan if he thinks Girardi has cost his team "several games" this year. Ask a Cards' fan about Tony. If you watch any one team, and their manager, over the course of an entire season, I'm sure you'll be able to point to "several games" which could have been won if the manager had pushed different buttons. That's baseball. That fact is, managers don't get noticed by their critics for the moves they make that work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are the "Coma-Lovers" Ready to Capitulate? : Do you think there's a single manager in baseball who hasn't cost his team "several games" over the course of 162? Managers make calls, and sometimes they don't work out. That's what their job is. Ask a Yankee fan if he thinks Girardi has cost his team "several games" this year. Ask a Cards' fan about Tony. If you watch any one team, and their manager, over the course of an entire season, I'm sure you'll be able to point to "several games" which could have been won if the manager had pushed different buttons. That's baseball. That fact is, managers don't get noticed by their critics for the moves they make that work.
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]

When you say "several games" I'm assuming you mean less than 10. Francona makes more than 10 calls a month that are at best questionable and several calls a month are simply mind boggling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Francona showed what a detriment he is to the club when he personally injured Bucholtz, Beckett, Dice-k, Bedard, Jenks, JD, and Youk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Ok...so I've been called weird, dumb, don't know baseball, and on-and-on.... But, no-one disputes that Coma has cost us several games this year...hell, several games in the past 2 weeks. For the "Coma-Dittohead Lovers" who find endless excuses for him, let me explain "Team Mentality" (used to be called Groupthink): If the Leader (Coma) allows and even effects losses that should be wins, the TEAM (our beloved RS) will go along to some degree because "No-One" is held accountable. In a normal working environment such as we (the faithful fans) have, our boss might be demoted, or put on probation or fired. If our boss(es) are NOT held accountable for 1) our work, AND 2) THEIR MANAGENT OF US AND OUR WORK, then complacency seeps in...WE become complacent. That's called "human nature". When complacency seeps in, performance tends to become mediocre. Many of the Sox are NOT playing like champions these days. Coma holds no-one accountable, and apparently neither does Theo. No accountability, no CHAMPIONSHIP...it's as simple as that. Hope this helps you many "Coma-Heads".

remember reading about Groupthink in my history class at college...how it led to the bay of Pigs....good stuff!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

[QUOTE]Francona showed what a detriment he is to the club when he personally injured Bucholtz, Beckett, Dice-k, Bedard, Jenks, JD, and Youk.
    Posted by soxdawg08[/QUOTE]

I actually blame Theo for this. I was shocked when he failed to act while Francona, himself, injured all of those players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

If the Sox go on a winning streak, can one recapitulate?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

There are some very eloquent critiques on why Francona is a horrible manager here.  I would be quite impressed, even ready to "capitulate", but for one little aspect of their content:  I don't think I read one specific instance, one case-in-point, and shred of actual fact in any of them.  As always, broad stroke, hazy crticisms with absolutely no hard evidence underneath.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The following is a list of current MLB managers who have won multiple World Series championships:

Terry Francona, Boston Red Sox (2 in 12 seasons)
    Tony La Russa, St. Louis Cardinals (2 in 35 seasons).

The End.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]The following is a list of current MLB managers who have won multiple World Series championships: Terry Francona, Boston Red Sox (2 in 12 seasons) Tony La Russa, St. Louis Cardinals (2 in 35 seasons). The End.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I like a story with a happy ending.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Here's a list of managers who have been deemed Golden Gods by MLB and their titles:
    Mike Scioscia, 1 WS title less than Francona
    Joe Maddon, none
    Jim Leyland, none
    ...f-ck good managers. Give me WS wins any day of the week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If that was meant to compliment Tito, then so be it. I just am sick and tired of hearing about how great the 3 in the last post are...I watched Scioscia botch and overmanage games constantly. Maddon will use 6 pitchers in a late game and then wonder why his pen is spent the next night. Leyland needs 12 more cases of cigarettes. If he isn't in a grave by next Spring, I'd be surprised. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd be a eff-in good manager too if my starting staff consisted of Haren, Weaver, and Ervin Santana....I can find a lot of reasons to win with those 3 starting games. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a list of managers who have been deemed Golden Gods by MLB and their titles: Mike Scioscia, 1 WS title less than Francona Joe Maddon, none Jim Leyland, none ...f-ck good managers. Give me WS wins any day of the week.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Ah, I hate correcting other posters, especially smart ones like yourself.  Leyland, though, won with the '97 Marlins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a list of managers who have been deemed Golden Gods by MLB and their titles: Mike Scioscia, 1 WS title less than Francona Joe Maddon, none Jim Leyland, none ...f-ck good managers. Give me WS wins any day of the week.
    Exactly! It's as simple as 6 + 3, right?

(Leyland actually has one, with the Marlins in the '90s, but that doesn't change your point).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Polly Said:
    posted at 9/9/2011 3:42 PM EDT
    Last: 9/9/2011
    "Baseball players are not an Army platoon that is to be motivated, disciplined, or harassed in order to perform. The Manager is not a drill instructor. If they team slumps then it is the collective result of numerous independent mini-slumps by the individual players. These are adults who use their ego and personal motivation to excel at what they do. Trying to correlate their individual performances on the manager is ludicrous and laughable. BORING." 

Polly: you need to think a little more clearly, dear. The Red Sox are a Baseball TEAM! Get it...TEAM. Tell me you're Not a teacher!
    Spaceman: If you just watched any of the last 10 games, you WOULD NOT need me to review it with you like you can't believe your eyes! Yeesh! Let out the smoke and THINK son. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

sorry about that Jim, i forgot about the Marlins, in fact I think Florida forgot about that WS win too. Hell, Renteria got the winning hit right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hell, I'm taking a mandatory rest from the forum. But in my case it's because of performance. If I was hot, Tito would sit me down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Hell, I'm taking a mandatory rest from the forum. But in my case it's because of performance. If I was hot, Tito would sit me down.

you are due for a day off dc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm having a bad post day, or every day soft posts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Cater...you're a good RS fan. Thanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Just chippin in to give props to Mr Mojo for his album cover and song.

The eternal question for me is always, "Should I put on Zep 2 or 3..."

... consternation and blue screen of death follows...

... does not compute!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Does anybody see the lineup in new light, knowing Youk's hip was bothering him?  I'm guessing he couldn't dive to his left, so they didn't want him playing third, but they wanted his bat in the lineup against Romero.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Polly Said: posted at 9/9/2011 3:42 PM EDT Last: 9/9/2011 "Baseball players are not an Army platoon that is to be motivated, disciplined, or harassed in order to perform. The Manager is not a drill instructor. If they team slumps then it is the collective result of numerous independent mini-slumps by the individual players. These are adults who use their ego and personal motivation to excel at what they do. Trying to correlate their individual performances on the manager is ludicrous and laughable. BORING."                                    Polly: you need to think a little more clearly, dear. The Red Sox are a Baseball TEAM! Get it...TEAM. Tell me you're Not a teacher! Spaceman: If you just watched any of the last 10 games, you WOULD NOT need me to review it with you like you can't believe your eyes! Yeesh! Let out the smoke and THINK son. 

nope.  saw em all.  This is the mobious loop that is the Francona agruement here:  you think i need to think, and I think you need to think.  Eh, what can you do.  Oh and thanks, I will let the smoke out now.