Are the best 25/ on the current Sox Roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Are the best 25/ on the current Sox Roster?

I ask that question because I believe the team should put the best 9 players on the field every day to have the best chance of winning.

I said it at the end of ST when there were questions about JBJ and Iggy in addition to the starting pitching. I felt Dempster should have been no worse than #3 in the rotation. I felt real good about the pen.

Today, about 1/6 of the way through the season, we are tied for first, much better than I thought we would be--I am wondering if we are still putting the best team on the field?

WMB is banged up, Ells is a threat when he comes to bat but hasn't done much the last two weeks, I like Ross defensively behind the plate.

So we are in a slide--what can JF and BC do to improve the product on the field? 

A  few thoughts:

1. Give Ells a few days off--move Vic to CF, Nava to right and Carp/Gomes in left.

2. Play Ross more behind the plate-cosider bring up Vazquez as back-up.

3. Move Drew to 3 B and bring up Iggy, SS--DL WMB until he is healthy

4. Change the Batting order around: Vic, Pedroia, Ortiz, Nap, Drew, Nava, Carp, Iggy, Ross.

5. Possible trades involving: Salty, Doubrount, Ciriaco from the current 25.

Any other thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Are the best 25/ on the current Sox Roster?

Iggy was benched for his attitude so he shouldnt be rewarded with a promotion. Plus, your taking away offense from the line up with Iggy there.

I agree Ells could use a day off, but I doubt it will be more than one day at a time. He'll get it going.

Same with WMB. Hes been getting the bat on the ball lately and looking better at the plate. Only one way to get better, and thats play through it. Drew has never played 3b in his pro career I believe.

Im tired of the Salty thing. There is nothing wrong leaving the catching situation the way it is. saltys defense is fine and his offense has been better so far this year. Hes batting .253 .330 OBP and a .483 SLG, whats wrong with that for a MLB catcher? I also proved that his defense and Brian McCanns is basically the same. Vasquez is a young, talented up and coming MLB catcher and you want to sit him on the bench for most of the games so 36yr old David Ross can play? Sorry, I dont agree.

They are in a little funk in which every team gets into. I wouldnt change the whole team around because of a bad week. I wouldnt change anything right now besides Doubront, and thats only because I think there is something wrong with him. Also maybe alter the lineup based on LHP and RHP and take into consideration who the pitcher is too. Other than that, they'll be fine. Its a long season and teams get into little funks like this. They will come out of it. Cant freak out every time they lose a few games and make panic moves.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Brandon Snyder has moved to 3B for Pawtucket.  He leads the team in HRs and OPS, and was a former first-round draft pick.  He never really put it together before, and it's too soon to say he's figured it out now, but with an OBP 100 points above his average, it's possible that the Sox system emphasis on pitch selection has helped unlock his potential.  He has better numbers right now than Middlebrooks did when he earned his promotion, and in a larger sample size.  Also, if Middlebrooks figures things out and Snyder is also performing well, Snyder can also play 1B and corner OF positions.

He might be worth a look.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Brandon Snyder has moved to 3B for Pawtucket.  He leads the team in HRs and OPS, and was a former first-round draft pick.  He never really put it together before, and it's too soon to say he's figured it out now, but with an OBP 100 points above his average, it's possible that the Sox system emphasis on pitch selection has helped unlock his potential.  He has better numbers right now than Middlebrooks did when he earned his promotion, and in a larger sample size.  Also, if Middlebrooks figures things out and Snyder is also performing well, Snyder can also play 1B and corner OF positions.

I agree. I wanted to give him a look too, but I think a larger sample size than what they could give him would be necessary. Probably have to shift Hassan to the 60-day to make room for him. He would be good for a fill in though. They have Ryan Dent listed as the 3b in AAA, although I know Snyder has played a couple games there too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Not buying it Zach?  Snyder's OBP is 98 points higher than his AVG.  That hasn't happened since low A ball 8 years ago.  Maybe it's a co-incidence, but the Sox have done a pretty good job with highly regarded raw talents that other teams have given up on - like Salty and Andrew Miller.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

No, and that is now coming to the surface !!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

it's possible that the Sox system emphasis on pitch selection has helped unlock his potential.

Not buying it Zach?  Snyder's OBP is 98 points higher than his AVG.  That hasn't happened since low A ball 8 years ago.  Maybe it's a co-incidence,

I just can't see an org not having an

emphasis on pitch selection

but the Sox have done a pretty good job with highly regarded raw talents that other teams have given up on - like Salty and Andrew Miller.

some might disagree with those 2 examples

love his raw talent but

can you really trust miller not 2 walk the guy in a big spot

but who can argue with what the yanks can do

with highly regarded raw talents  has beens ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

No, and that is now coming to the surface !!!

OK fine. I want to play nice and agree with you. But first, enlighten us all with your wisdom.

Who should be on the 25-man roster but isn't?

Bradley? He's on the DL.

Iggy? He was benched because of a poor attitude so I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT HIM, because for the last two years, you've been tell all of us that the Sox should rid themselves of spoiled, entitled players.

Webster? Pretty sure that he showed in his last start that maybe he needs at least a few more minor league starts.

Rubby? Don't think he's ready yet. He has a 5.40 ERA in six starts and just 16 innings with eight walks. But unlike you, I believe in a fair analysis of stats, so it's worth noting that in his last three starts, he's pitched 10 innings, 0 runs with 12 Ks and 2 BBs, including 11 Ks and 0 BBs in his last  seven innings. They're building up his arm strength as he's gone 2.1, 2.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.0, 4.0 in his starts this year, so a smart baseball person would realize that the best course with him is for him to continue this process in Pawtucket.

Lavarnway? OK, if the Sox want to give him another shot, but he hasn't showed much in his other stints. Hopefully, if he does get another shot, he'll show he's ready but there's not guarantee.

So again, and I don't expect an answer but I'll ask again, who should be on the 25-man roster?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Too soon to judge who should be playing or not.

Drew is really starting to hit and has been steady in the field.

Ellsbury has been lackluster at the plate but good with his speed when he gets on base. LH pitching has been killing him so far. Maybe he needs to be dropped in the order.

Middlebrooks is a question mark as he has not been tested over a full season yet. But I don't see a better option right now and hope he can play his way out of his funk. Unless his injury takes him out, we ride that horse until it drops.

I would like to see Ross play more but not to the point of burning him out. He is older, so let the younger Salty take the brunt of the punishment behind the plate. Salty's bat is inconsistent but he can come through at key moments. Playing Ross some more will also save Salty from burning out, which he seems to do at the end of the season. Need to keep an eye on both catchers and adjust as the season progresses.

If you look at the numbers so far, Pedroia has put up ideal numbers to be a lead off hitter. He has been getting on base consistently but not hitting with as much pop as usual.

Don't see the need for any major changes but a few tweaks might help.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think the Sox now have the best 25 man roster they can put in the dugout going into the last 30-31 games. If Buch were active i would say that's the best we could do. 

I'm thinking there may be a waiver wire trade that may come about for a reliever. I think between Xander, WMB and Drew the left side is fine. We know between Xander and WMB--2 B could be covered for a day if Pedroia goes down.

I see Dempster leaving the rotation and going to the pen once Buch gets back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

THIS THREAD WAS STARTED IN THE 2013 SEASON.

Let's take a look at what our 25 man roster might be June 2014: 

Xander at 3 B, Drew @ SS, Pedroia -2 B, Carp 1B.

Gomes/Holt--LF, JBJ--CF, Size/ Corey Brown-RF.

AJ and Ross behind the plate. Ortiz--DH. Herrera--Super sub.

Rotation--Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Workman, Webster

Pen---Ue, Taz, Miller Time, Bres, Mejica, BadHop, Cappy

I think that would be our most solid 25 Man Roster June 2014 with WMB, Nap, Vic, Buch, Doubront, Lavarnway on the DL.

Brown hit his 8 th HR at AAA-former ML experience with the Jays and had a pretty good ST with the Sox. Daniel Nava has the options--use them. When WMB comes off the DL send him to AAA--and have him play 3B, 1 B and maybe some OF. Vic, don't rush him back,let his hammy heal totally.

Webster, showed his displeasure being overlooked for tonight's start by RDLR--with an 8 inning gem against Norfolk. That slight may be just the motivation he needs. He would be in line to start for Workman or RDLR if either falter.

I think this 25 man roster, considering all the DL postings, may be the best we can put out there. The 26 th man option , for me, would be Ryan Roberts for utility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Workman is here to stay........ The Sox have grown tired of Doubront & Buchholz......  Opportunity for Del-a-rosa today.......  Ben is moving on !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes/Holt--LF, JBJ--CF, Size/ Corey Brown-RF.

[/QUOTE]
     I like your assessment of Cory Brown.  I saw him play in ST and he impressed me both on offense and defense.  And the guy has vg speed.

I had no delusions about his making The Big Club in April but I think he deserves a look at some point. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not buying it Zach? Snyder's OBP is 98 points higher than his AVG. That hasn't happened since low A ball 8 years ago. Maybe it's a co-incidence,

I just can't see an org not having an

emphasis on pitch selection

That's always on of the more amusing areas of discussion.  Every GM has probably thought of 99% of everything mentioned in here.  Like trading a player off of an .800 OPS year, even though he had a 4/1 K/W.  The other GMs see the same stats we do, plus 100 others.  Or why didn't Tito have so-and-so steal 2nd?  Like all you have to do is to put on the steal sign and the player automatically makes it happen.

IRT the zone, some players get it and some don't.  And some get it and forget as soon as they get hot or cold.