1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Are the Red Sox that Good Where Jackie Bradley, Jr. Shouldn't Be Starting the Season as the LF?

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

The GM has to balance whether to put a Moonslav or Pumpsie team on the field and dissappoint RSN and the forum  this year and next vs. or taking a comprimise alternative and being competitive for two years while keeping prospects and preserving draft picks. There are two sides to the issue. I have heard both sides of the issue here . I prefer a competitive roster and being patient. It does provide great debate material but don't waste your life debating it daily.

Newsflash: we are neither.

We are not competitive and we are not rebuilding (since the Dodger deal).

We won 69 games last year, most of the wins occured with the players before the Dodger trade.

We did nothing since the trade to help us in 2015 or beyond.

We pretended to make ourselves competitive this year.

We punted all major decisions to the deadline or next winter.

You keep adding, "since the trade".

Why is that distinction so important to you?

How many pitchers like De La Rosa and Webster do you expect to pick off from other teams?

Because a team that is coming off a 69 win season that traded away its best player should be in rebuild mode for the winter. We didn't rebuild for the future, but instead signed placeholders and put off the big decisions until later.

I loved the Dodger trade, so that is why I bring up the post trade era of doing nothing to further the cause of 2015 and beyond.

We could have "picked off" Bauer for Ellsbury and cash. We could have "picked off" a few younger FA SPs. We could have traded our FAs to be for decent prospects. We could have packaged multiple lower level prospects for better prospects.

I disagree.

Gonzo may have been the Sox best player.

But, his numbers in Boston aren't that difficult to replaced.

In spite of last year's disaster, this team din't need to be blown up.

Trading all the Fas and half the farm is the wrong way to go about it.

Half the team?

The FAs to be list is not even 5% of the 40man roster:

Ellsbury

Salty

I did mention trading some players that may not be in our longterm plans or that are going to be FAs after 2014:

Aceves

Bailey

Morales

Miller

Speaking of replacing AGon's numbers with the Sox last year, how hard would it be to replace the 2012 numbers from Ellsbury, Bailey, and Aceves? I'd hardly call losing them "blowing u the team". Besides, I wasn't giving them away. We'd actually get something in return- something that helps us in 2015 and beyond.

I also said we could use the money saved from these guys to get another FA or 2 to bridge us to the kids... more kids though.

So your position is that Ben should have sold low on Ellsbury, Bailey and Aceves, and that he should just give up on Salty just as he's approaching the age where Tek put it all together? You're usually a lot more sensible than that moon.

I was actually for trading Ellsbury when his stock was higher, but how high is his stock going to be at the end of 2013? Just because we could have gotten more for him after 2011, does not mean jack now. The question is what is worth more?

1 year of Ellsbury during a bridge or "lost" year plus the comp pick in 2014

or

A good prospect or player under team control beyond 2015

I get the position of those who think we actually have a good chance to win a ring this year: why trade one of our best players if we can win this year? I think what you feel about our chances plays heavily in your position on trading the now for the future.

Yes, trade Bailey and Aceves, who will both be gone in 2015. Make way for Tazawa and Webster or others. We'd actually be better in 2013 with 2 from these guys who will be squeezed from the 25 man roster: Tazawa, Bard, Webster or Mortensen than Bailey and Aceves, so whatever we get for these two is a bonus.

On Salty, I am on record as saying that if we don't extend him now, then trade him. I'm fine with keeping him, if we plan on extending him before he becomes a FA.

I'd also have strongly considered trading Lester for Myers if Ben is not going to keep Jon around after 2015. We could have replaced Lester with A Sanchez, who would have been here in 2015, 2016 and 2017 plus Myers. (I'm not that high on Sanchez, but as I have said, I'd rather have spent the $90M on him than on most of these guys: SV, Papi, Drew, Dempster, and the last year of Ells.) 

I think playing it half way was a huge mistake, but I'm not calling for Ben's head like some clowns around here. Ben deserves a chance to show his full plan. Afterall, he may trade some of these FAs this deadline or next winter for some top prospects, and then make a big splash in next year's projected better FA class to go along with maturing prospects starting to contribute in significant and meaningful ways. In my book, I won't judge him until next March. I will say I am not liking what I see since the Dodger deal, but I've been wrong before.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Are the Red Sox that Good Where Jackie Bradley, Jr. Shouldn't Be Starting the Season as the LF?

In response to Guru_Meditation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will nevber doubt ADG's wisdom again.

[/QUOTE]

This thread is a PERFECT example of why people need to disregard spring training, or at the very least...for the love of god....temper your expectations.

Funny thing is, I was one of the only voices in here calling for people to pump the brakes, and now that everyone is down on JBJ I'm one of the only people saying he has made strides and continues to get better and would probably have a decent season if given the chance...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Harper? Stanton?  come on man....you are comparing Bradley to elite elite talent.  Those are the #1 prospects who have HOF ability.  Comp's are so horrible IMHO, and if we want to compare Bradley to anyone then why not the vast majority of Major league players who DON'T come up when they are 22-23, or how about the many that do come up and even though they have VERY GOOD MLB careers they struggle for a year or two (after tearing up the majors)

No one is saying JBJ isn't very close to ready, they are just saying not to rush him.  Many scouts, those in the know, the professionals, the talent evaluators had his ETA at 2014 the latest and mid 2013 by many standards...and I doubt a strong spring training does anything to change that.  A strong campaign in Pawtucket would do much to solidify his mid-2013 eta.

JBJ could very well have nothing left to learn in the minors and be up this season, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he struggles this year.  Actually I want to put that on the record now and say JBJ will struggle with MLB pitching this year.  He may make adjustments and prove me wrong.  Correction. He will make improvements and prove me wrong, but I won't be surprised if that period of struggle is longer than many here would be comfortable with

HMMMM....well to add to my prediction last year, by the end of the year this year NO ONE will question if JBJ can hit or not. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And if the Red Sox nickel and dime the situation worrying about 2019, and by not putting him in LF immediately costs them a playoff spot, how much money does that cost them?

What happens in year 7 is irrelevant in 2013. Play him now.

[/QUOTE]

Well the Red Sox 2013 world championship must of been solely due to that first month JBJ spent up in the majors. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Guru_Meditation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will nevber doubt ADG's wisdom again.

[/QUOTE]

This thread is a PERFECT example of why people need to disregard spring training, or at the very least...for the love of god....temper your expectations.

Funny thing is, I was one of the only voices in here calling for people to pump the brakes, and now that everyone is down on JBJ I'm one of the only people saying he has made strides and continues to get better and would probably have a decent season if given the chance...

[/QUOTE]

Yes, for the most part I agree about spring training.  Farell should go with the hot hand in CF.  He did last year with JBJ.  Within a week we will see if Size is the real deal.  If anyone can deal emotionally better with triple A for a few weeks, JBJ can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The grumpy complainers were wrong (again)?  No way!

If it was good enough in 1952, it's good enough today GODDAMMIT!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I remember last year when Callahan at WEEI fell all over JBJ in a phone interview, talking future hall of famer, etc.

Let's hope JBJ can pull it together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And if the Red Sox nickel and dime the situation worrying about 2019, and by not putting him in LF immediately costs them a playoff spot, how much money does that cost them?

What happens in year 7 is irrelevant in 2013. Play him now.

[/QUOTE]

Well the Red Sox 2013 world championship must of been solely due to that first month JBJ spent up in the majors

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  It was that opening day walk that sparked a rally and set the tone for the entire season.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

On this forum more than a year ago I compared the high-OBP minor league statistics of Boston outfielder Jackie Bradley and Seattle shortstop Brad Miller, two players born six months apart, separated by 22 picks in the 2011 draft out of rival universities in South Carolina (Bradley at No. 40 and Miller at No. 62).

Bradley and Miller split their 2013 seasons between the minors and the major leagues. Here are their comparative 2013 statistics:

JB Minor13 374 PA, .275/.374/.469/.842

BM Minor13 297 PA, .297/.399/.521/.920

JB MLB13 107 PA, .189/.280/.337/.617, OPS+ 69

BM MLB13 335 PA, .265/.318/.418/.737, OPS+ 110

... and their 2014 Spring Training statistics:

JB ST14 56 PA, .173/.232/.288/.521

BM ST14 62 PA, .436/.492/.909/1.401

Baseball America ranked Bradley No. 31 among its Top 100 prospects in 2013 and No. 50 this year. BA never ranked Miller among its Top 100 prospects.

Just an update.